“Cougar Town:” The Houses of the Cul-de-Sac Crew

by hookedonhouses on March 15, 2011

Cougar Town Cast Photo

Thanks to everyone who responded to my “Big, Scary Blog Crisis” post yesterday! It was fun learning where so many of my readers live, and to realize it is truly a global community here at Hooked on Houses. Love that.

It sounds like most of you can see my blog now, so I think it’s safe to resume regular programming…starting with what should have been yesterday’s post about the sets from “Cougar Town.”

Cougar Town credits

When the Courteney Cox sitcom premiered in 2009, I refused to watch at first because of the terrible title. I assumed it was about older women hooking up with younger guys, which didn’t really appeal to me. When I finally caught an episode, I was surprised by how much I liked the show. It’s really, really funny. And the sets totally won me over.

Courteney Cox plays Jules Cobb, a single mom to a teenager named Travis. She works as a real estate broker, so score another point for the show–we get to go along with Jules when she shows houses!

Jules' kitchen 2

Jules lives in Florida, surrounded by friends dubbed “The Cul-de-Sac Crew.” Those are her best buds shown above–Laurie (Busy Phillips) and Ellie (Christa Miller). Laurie works with her in real estate, and Ellie is her next-door neighbor.

Even her ex-husband Bobby (Brian Van Holt) is part of the group. He lives in his boat (called “Jealous Much?”) in a parking lot and seems perfectly happy there. (Or at least he did, until Jules decided to surprise him by getting the boat back in the marina…and it sunk.)

Bobby's boat

Courteney Cox has had a lot to deal with over the past year, between (apparently false) rumors that she was dating her co-star (Van Holt), her separation from husband David Arquette, and Arquette’s public meltdown and trip to rehab.

They have been married for over 11 years and have a 6-year old daughter named Coco. Arquette told Oprah he still loves Courteney and hopes they might be able to work things out.

entry hall 2

Ellie’s husband Andy walks into Jules’s house with baby Stan in his arms. No one ever knocks in this neighborhood.

entry hall 1

The episode when they got so comfy in their Snugglies that they didn’t want to take them off cracked me up:

vlcsnap-173563

Here’s some of the source info I found in a comment left on a post about the show on The Little Big House blog:

• Living room lamps are from Pottery Barn.
  • Entry way lamp is Crate & Barrel’s Jolie Lamp ($189).
  • Blue bird barstool fabric is Aviary Robin at Calico Corners.
  • Wicker chairs at the kitchen table are at Crate & Barrel ($269 each).
  • Living room side table (driftwood base with round glass top) is Driftwood End Table from Crate & Barrel ($399).
  • TV stand in the living room is the Monterey Console from Crate & Barrel ($1299).

Jules' living room 2

I also found this comment written by set decorator Archie D’Amico on The Little Big House in response to some reader questions:

“The coffee table is custom made from an iron worker to match the one in the pilot episode. The painting is a rental from Omega Cinema Props. Cabot McMullen is the production designer, Gary Warsaw art director, Doritt Oberman and Derrick Hinman buyers for the early episodes and I’m the set decorator, Archie D’Amico.”

D’Amico worked on “Ugly Betty,” too, another show where the sets stole the show.

Jules' living room 4

We don’t see these shelves very often, so I was excited to finally get a photo of them when the camera turned that way:

fam rm bookshelves

Entertainment Weekly featured the set design last year in a nice two-paged spread. For some reason they took the photos off their website, so here are scans of the pages as they appeared in the magazine (which happens to me my favorite, can’t-live-without-it publication):

Cougar Town living room-EW

Production Designer Cabot McMullen wanted a neutral base for the walls in her living room, so he went with Benjamin Moore’s ”Bleecker Beige” in eggshell.

Cougar Town kitchen-EW

Co-creator Kevin Biegel felt it was important to have some floral decor like the fabric on the chairs. He says, “In Florida there are flower prints on everything.”

Thanks to A Blog About Things for these scans, which saved me from having to do it myself!

Jules' kitchen-empty

The EAT sign on her kitchen wall is a fan favorite, created with “Flares and Fountains” fabric letters from Anthropologie. I think they’re about $14 each, but I’ve heard these letters are frequently on back order.

EAT sign - Travis and Jules in kitchen

Looking at the breakfast table and EAT sign from the dining room around the corner:

looking frm dining rm to kitchen

In this shot you can see the hat rack in the front hall:

Jules' kitchen3

The glass pantry door has frosted glass in the center:

Jules' kitchen-stove

Jules' kitchen 1

CasaSugar wrote an interesting article about this show for people who want to “Get the Look” of these sets.

Jules' kitchen 4

For the first few months of Season One, I was always trying to figure out what room that was off the entry, but we only got a few little glimpses of it, like this:

Jules' kitchen-glimpse into front room

Then Ellie walked by it once and I tried to get a clear shot of it, but the camera moved so fast, it was blurry. You can see it looks like a living room with a fireplace, though:

glimpse of dining rm-liv rm

On the Thanksgiving episode, we finally got to see the entire room, which was now transformed into a beautiful dining room:

dining rm 1

I love the buffet behind Jules:

dining rm 2

The show was recently reviewed by the Washington Post, which says, “In fictional Cougar Town, Fla., nobody ever misses a beat. It’s an idealized world in which one always has a drink and a retort handy.”

fireplace in dining rm

Her bedroom is probably my least favorite set. I mean, it’s okay, but I don’t get excited about it:

Jules' bedroom 1

After Travis goes to college in Season 2, they turn his bedroom into a “Jam Room,” which was pretty hilarious:

Travis's room-jam room

Jules remodeled her master bath and hosted a “Bath Warming Party” for her friends:

Jules's new bathroom 1

She even has a special new toilet that barks orders at you in Japanese:

Jules's new bathroom 2

Things start to be a problem when Jules refuses to leave her beautiful new bathroom (but who can blame her?):

Jules's new bathroom 3

Her friends eventually stage an intervention and carry her out of there.

Jules's new bathroom 4

There are a couple of other characters who live on her cul-de-sac.

Cougar Town cul-de-sac

There’s Grayson, her Season 2 love interest, whose house screams, “A man lives here!” with the brown plaid wallpaper (reportedly from Graham and Brown).

Grayson's house-front door

Grayson's house

And Ellie, Jules’s acerbic best friend who lives with her husband Andy and their baby Stan:

Ellie's kitchen on Cougar Town 2

Everything is pale green and pink in their place, maybe to show that Ellie rules the roost? It doesn’t look like a man lives here, really.

Ellie's kitchen Cougar Town-pink counters

It was an interesting choice to have Ellie’s house looking so soft and feminine, when there’s nothing soft about her personality. I would imagine her living in a more modern space with lots of sharp edges.

Ellie's kitchen-empty

Ellie is played by the hilarious Christa Miller. She used to be on “Scrubs,” another sitcom by writer-producer Bill Lawrence. Did you know that they’re married in real life and have three children together? I heard her say in an interview that the character of Ellie is an exaggerated version of her, and things from her real life sometimes get written into the scripts.

Ellie's kitchen 1

Ellie’s husband Andy is played by Ian Gomez, who is married to Nia Vardalos in real life. Ian and Nia starred in My Big Fat Greek Wedding together in 2002, which was based on their real-life courtship and wedding. Nia played herself. John Corbett played Ian. And the real Ian played Ian’s best-friend Mike (hope you followed all that!).

Ellie's kitchen 3

Do you know how annoying it is to watch a TV show or movie with me? I can’t stop spouting off trivia like who is dating whom in real life, and what other productions the key players have been involved in. It’s a sickness. My husband thinks it’s good that I have this blog as an outlet for all that trivia that’s floating around in my head…

Ellie's kitchen on Cougar Town

I have really missed the show this winter while “Mr. Sunshine” took its place. It’s slated to return to ABC for a special post-”Dancing with the Stars” slot on Monday, April 18, and then goes back to its regular Wednesday night time (9:30 ET).

Ellie's house-bedroom

Apparently I wasn’t the only viewer put off by the title of the show. Last year they seriously considered changing it to something for Season 2 that better described what it was about. Bill Lawrence joked about going with “Friends and Neighbors” as a nod to Cox’s former hit show. But in the end, they couldn’t come up with an alternative, so they left it.

As a running joke, the writers began mocking the name of the show each week with a tiny headline above the title card: “It’s okay to watch a show called . . . Cougar Town.” And “Titles are hard.”

Cougar Town-saying hello to Travis's new gfriend

Any other fans of “Cougar Town” out there? What’s your favorite house in the cul-de-sac?

This month we’re taking a look at the sets from our favorite TV shows. Last week I featured the charming Vermont inn from “Newhart.” Next up: “Modern Family” and “Mad About You.”

Go to TV/Movie Houses to see more sets like the ones from Samantha Who? and Brothers & Sisters!

Luciane at Homebunch.com March 15, 2011 at 7:28 am

Good Morning!!!

I hope you’re up for a wonderful, healthy and peaceful day!

“Cougar Town” was one of my favorite shows, but this season started not as funny as the 1st one. To be honest, lately I watch to see that GORGEOUS kitchen! Isn’t her house beautiful, young, colorful but serene at the same time?
I simply love posts like this one, Julia. Good job!!!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

janet March 15, 2011 at 7:50 am

LOVE this show, it’s one of my favorites! I think I like Ellie’s home the best. Jules’ is nice but very Pottery Barn/model home-ish. I would take any of them, even the boat, if I could live the same charmed life as these characters. ;)

Clairica A. March 15, 2011 at 7:54 am

Those EAT letters in the kitchen would be so easy to make on your own for much less than 14.00 each. Craft stores have large cardboard style letters for around 2.00 each and it would be so easy to just decoupage fabrics onto them to match your kitchen.

Lindsay March 15, 2011 at 8:28 am

I haven’t watched this show, but now really want to…maybe I can catch up on some episodes online. The sets look fantastic! As always, thanks for sharing Julia!

Heather Collins March 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thanks Julia!
I hated the title too, and have never watched the show as a protest or something! ; )
But maybe I’ll take a look….just for the sets of course!
p.s.
I like your little tidbits of Hollywood info!
take good care!

Heather

Claire March 15, 2011 at 9:00 am

I was just like you when this first came out, I had no interest in it based on the title and the fact that Courteney was my least favorite “Friend.” But then I caught the Thanksgiving episode and now it’s my favorite show!

I’d take Jules’ house in an instant. You should have added some shots of the pool, too! That would definitely sway some votes! I’m not nuts about her bedroom either, it’s a little disappointing.

I was inspired by her EAT in the kitchen, but in my house we always say “Yum Yum” when we love something, so I picked up the letters at Michaels and grabbed a random design stencil and painted them with colors from my dining room. I’ve even had a few people comment that they remind them of Cougar Town!

Thanks for the great post!

Jill March 15, 2011 at 9:07 am

I have never watched the show (possibly because of the name) I may give it a chance though (even if I don’t like it, the sets are great).

etta March 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

I LLLLove Jules Kitchen! I made a post on Cugar Town House… love the interiors! :-) I was really waiting for this! I also love so much Elena House from “Vampire Diaries” but I can’t find a picture of it!!… I know you will :-)
Big kiss
Etta

hookedonhouses March 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

A reader sent me some photos of Elena’s house, so I’ll forward them on to you, Etta. I’ll get a post written about “Vampire Diaries” one of these days! -Julia :-)

Cheryl March 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

The title for the show is possibly their worst decision, the set design is possibly their best. I love this show and I really like how they’ve found their groove now and the show has evolved from cougars to a group of friends. I could move into Jules’ house at any moment – her kitchen and family room photos are in my inspiration file.
I adore the painting hanging to the left of the staircase. Claire mentioned above that she created Yum Yum letters for her own kitchen – I did the same and they turned out fantastic (but just one Yum)
I noticed that in the pilot episode Ellie’s house was darker and more masculine. I’m pretty sure there was a room painted a very dark green. I love the colour combo in her home now.
Thanks for the post Julia!

Sarabelle March 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thanks for this post! I love C-Town and the fantasy world of wine and perfectly groomed houses and hunks (ladies included!) that I can visit for a few minutes each week. I’m in love with Jules’ kitchen. It’s airy and bright and big enough for the whole “crew” to gather around for their vino and banter. Oh…If only I lived on a Cul-de-Sac….:-)

Douglas March 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

-Julia
In a nod to sitcom houses I recommend you take a look at the sets from the HBO hit “Weeds” (another title that could be offsetting), this show has some beautiful homes and some great redo’s as well as house twists. Check it out.
Douglas

Pat March 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

I admit, I’ve judged a book by it’s cover…or a show by it’s name. I’ve never watched Couger Town…the title made it un-appealing to me. But, now I want to watch it!
The kitchen really is beautiful, and I agree, the bedroom did not appeal to me.
You would have a hard time watching TV with me too…I’d be talking over you, with trivia…we’d have the battle of the TV/movie/ trivia! Somehow,I have feeling you’d win!

Brooke March 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

I LOVE Cougar Town!! Definitely one of my favorite shows and I can’t wait for it to come back on!!! Jules’ house is definitely my favorite! It’s so inviting!

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

It’s funny you mentioned the hoopla over the title, because that’s the reason I didn’t tune it. I love Courteney Cox, and it actually sounds pretty funny. I just thought the whole thing was about her being a cougar. It really does sound hilarious—especially the jam room!

Spring March 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’ve never seen the show but the sets really are pretty. I love the house. Though, it really doesn’t look like a Florida house at all. They even chose the wrong floral prints. The closest they come is her best friend’s house.

Still, that’s a minor quibble. And I do love her kitchen. Wow!

laxsupermom March 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

Love Cougar Town! One of my faves, and can’t wait for it to come back. The sets are gorgeous, and the writing is hilarious. BFF and I have our own “Big Karl”s(ginormous wine glasses) for when we get together. And of course “Friend Test” is now in our vocab. When I snagged a vintage fur jacket, I made her pet it through “Friend Test” even though she’s a no leather, doesn’t kill anything, even bugs, kindof girl. She’s tortured me through “Friend Test,” too. Thanks for sharing all the stills.

Jessica at Lavender and Lilies March 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

I love the prints in Jules house. Her house is so warm and inviting.

Jerrica March 15, 2011 at 11:08 am

I love this show! Thank you for posting this! I also thought Ellie’s house looks too so soft and feminine for her “cold as ice character”, I love her though!

In one of the episodes Laurie buys a house, remember? I can’t wait for them to show more of that! Can you imagine what Laurie’s style would be? HA!

Btw, I blurt off trivia too when I watch a TV shows/movies. I think I’m being helpful ;)

Kelly in Memphis March 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

I like Ellie’s house best. Thanks for showing it!

Adriane March 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

I absolutely LOVE Ellie’s house! I’m so glad you could show some of it – I’ve been waiting for it! :P

Cindy March 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Wow! I’ve never watched the show – the name is a complete and total turn off for me. Maybe I’ll check it out, too.

I think they owe you an exclusive set tour and cast/crew meet and greet, by the way. Your post may single-handedly increase their viewer numbers big time! ;-)

Cindy

Melinda March 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I love this show. I’ve been watching since the beginning. I love the fact that they don’t knock at the door and come up to the kitchen window to peek in to say something clever. They are so in each other’s business all the time. Nothing is sacred. I could see Jules going next door in the middle of the night and getting in bed with Andy and Ellie and no one lifting an eyebrow. LOVE THAT !! I would love to have friendships like this, but that is easy to say and harder to do. I totally agree though that the sets and the cul-de-sac are also characters here. So much of the show takes place either on the street or in Jules’ living room and kitchen. And don’t forget the wine. The show is nothing without a least FIVE bottles of wine. Jules craddles her glass like a tiny baby. :) GOOD ONE Julia !!

Daisy March 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Love Cougar town! Jules house (especially the kitchen) is my favorite! I don’t like her bedroom, but maybe they can write an episode around that and remodel it like they did with the bathroom.

Mary March 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for showing this. I love the show so much! I think I remember Ellie’s bedroom as being my favorite, but it’s hard to remember… it’s been forever since they have had it on! I do agree that Ellie’s house doesn’t fit her personality.

Bre March 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I LOVE Cougar Town! I think it’s hilarious, it’s the the perfect show to watch after Modern Family, it just keeps the laughs going. The title is so not indicative of the show (the only “cougar” is Barb!), I love how they write things above the title, I try to read it every week. I’m so ready for April 18th! I’ve watched it from the premiere and I too fell in love with the characters and the sets! I love Jules’ house. I love her kitchen with its black counter tops (like Ina!) and my mom and I love that she has a faucet over her stove, genius. I adored the episode where we got to see Jules’ oasis of a bathroom, I would never leave that room, it’s like a spa! I agree that Jules’ bedroom is kind of boring in comparison to the rest of the house, but I love that wicker chair. I noticed you liked her buffet in the dining room (of course you did, if your tired of your turquoise one I’d be happy to take it off of your hands…) I had been dying to see that dining room too! I also really love Ellie’s house. I love the feminine mix of prints and florals, of course Andy wouldn’t have a say in the decor haha. Great colors throughout the house, it looks very Floridian to me (or what I imagine homes in FL look like). It’s an interesting mix, her home isn’t a reflection of her personality. I loved the Halloween ep where her and Laurie went as each other! Thank you for this incredible, and now bookmarked, post Julia! :)

Nita@ModVintageLife.com March 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I love Cougar Town! The first episode or two were more in line with the name and I didn’t like it…all about older women on the hunt for younger men but then it quickly changed. I try to ignore the title because the show is great. My favorite is Bobby. I love that he’s so happy living in his boat. I loved it when he showed up at his son’s college. No one on that show has any boundaries.

Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds March 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm

This is my favorite tv show set! I would love to live in Jules’ house…and in Florida too! Her big beautiful kitchen is my favorite room. Last year I wrote a blog post about this house too, I have some additional photos: http://www.diynewlyweds.com/2010/02/cougar-town-house-photos.html

Lauren March 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I’m glad you mentioned this isn’t a show about “cougars!” I totally thought this show was about older ladies out on the prowl, so to speak. I’ll have to check it out!

Rhianna March 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I love all these houses! I used to live in Florida near a cul-de-sac. Theses houses are very typical for Florida.

Kim March 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Great post! I haven’t seen the show and I don’t plan to. I love the sets. My favorite house is Ellie’s. I love everything about it and I love how the house doesn’t have that tropical type style to it. I like Jules house, but I don’t like the master bath and bedroom. Too contemporary for me. The rest of the house is nice, though.

Scarlette March 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

The dent in the refrigerator drives me INSANE. ;) Also – it has fingerprints often… are they making it look realistic or not cleaning it for the shoots? Just curious. Love your blog btw.

Nicole at First House on the Right March 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Jules’ is my favourite house, I just love it but I can’t bear Ellie’s house, it’s awful. Hope you’re having a good week, Nicolex

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady March 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Julia! This must be your longest post ever! I love this house by the way. I don’t watch Cougar Town, but I guess I am going to now :D

Thanks!

Cristina Figueira March 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Thank you, Thank you Thank you!
I love Jules house, since episode 1! I’ve been waiting for this post ;o)
Thank you Julia! You’re amazing… as always. Great Job!

Erin March 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Great sets! thanks for sharing! I’m like that too with trivia!! and it also drives my boyfriend nuts! but I always win at pop culture trivia pursuit!!

Pam March 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I have been waiting for someone to write about the sets on this show! I do love the show and the joke about the title. Also, I have to talk trivia during shows and movies too. I think you and I would have a great time together!

Becky H March 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Love the show. The episode where Jules giant wine glass gets broken cracked me up. Tom always wanting to be part of the group is also pretty funny. Thanks for telling us when it’s coming back on. I was a little concerned. Love my mindless entertainment before bed!

Colleen March 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Jules has my favorite TV house! It’s the inspiration for my slowly evolving kitchen makeover in my new house. I just want to mention that the walls are painted Bleeker Beige from Ben Moore…just in case anyone is wondering. It’s a tad too dark for my house but it’s a lovely neutral.

Thanks for the great post and all the wonderful screenshots. It’s nice to be able to really study the sets.

Tsumicat March 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Ok, you convinced me. I will have to check it out on Netflix

Neesha March 15, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I needed cheering up today and I checked your blog and it did cheer me up. Thanks! I love Cougar Town! I think it’s the funniest show on TV right now. I love the houses too! Maybe I missed it but are these actual real houses? Or a set?

I like Jules’ house but I am in love with Ellie’s. I just perk up when a scene is filmed in her house. I love green and pink, so girly!

E. George March 16, 2011 at 12:16 am

Hi Julia I’ve only just started to watch this show just getting used to it but Modern Family I’m not so sure about.Anyway I love Ellie’s home love the colour green. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney… PS glad to have you back and looking forward to Mad About You….

Nichole@40daysof March 16, 2011 at 12:17 am

Julia,
I was out of town and totally missed your blog crisis. So glad for you that everything turned out okay. :)

Love Cougar Town. Love the sets.

Tami Lewis March 16, 2011 at 12:42 am

i had never watched the show til lately either , for the same reason as you! but now i love it!!!! i love Jules’s house the best and i don’t think Ellie’s house looks like her at all- it’s like she moved into a furnished place and never changed anything!
can;t wait for modern family :)

Nita March 16, 2011 at 1:45 am

Well, I wish I would have known from the beginning this show was like this and not like what I thought it was, another sex-filled TV show that I couldn’t bear to watch, although I never miss Two and a Half Men. :) I will have to start watching!

This cul-de-sac idea was gleened from when Knots Landing was on in the 1980s. They actually bought or leased about 5-6 houses to start with for the TV drama. I adored the show, mainly for the houses, which they redecorated all the time. I think Joan Van Ark’s house was redone about 3-4 times and Karen’s at least three. Then there was Donna Mill’s house too. I just loved it. Every Thursday night at 10 p.m. was just me and the show. I encouraged my hubby to go ahead and go to bed because I didn’t want him talking and messing up my show. This show looks cute.

Nita March 16, 2011 at 1:51 am

Someone here mentioned she would love to live on a cul-de-sac. Well, the asians think they are unlucky because there is only one way in and out and think of them as an ending. Supposedly, bad things happen on cul-de-sacs, like divorces. Twenty years ago, I lived on the cul-de-sac below my now house, and my husband then and I divorced in that house. However, our next door neighbors, she from Germany and he from Japan (we used to call that house World War II) are still there and still together! But the other unlucky thing that happened at that house was that a hay truck backed into our three car garage, knocking the center divider between the two-door and the one-door garages doors!

karen@strictlysimplestyle March 16, 2011 at 7:45 am

Thanks so much for putting this post together with all of the great images. Jules home is one of my all-time favorite television sets. If I lived in a warm climate I would sooo copy come of the ideas.

Ricki Jill Treleaven March 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

I have never seen the show, but I will watch just to see the sets!!! :D

Jodi from New Jersey March 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

Looks like a fun show. I’ll watch now for the beautiful sets, then see how I like the show. Hope I can concentrate. Thanks, Jodi

Bethany Peterson March 16, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I LOVE Cougartown. And yes, I too was afraid to watch it at first because of the horrible title. But I think it’s hilarious!

Thanks for this post, I love Jules’ house. Especially the patterned chairs.

I read an Entertainment Weekly article that talked about how now it’s just a joke to see how long they can keep the show on the air with such a horrible title. They also considered “The Family Juls” as a name change option.

Desiree @chic coastal living March 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’ve never watched this show but I love the interiors and also blogged about it before. it’s so much fun to see the photos you have for this show! I just love that huge bathroom! I wish!

Lindsay H March 18, 2011 at 12:26 am

Thanks for this update, especially telling me when it will be back on. When they started advertising for Mr. Sunshine I got all panicked and was like, “Nooo! Where is Cougar Town going?” Thanks for clearing up the funny headings they use above the title…my husband laughs at me as I am always gitty when the show starts with anticipation about what the heading will say. Their sense of humor totally cracks me up, I love the stupid games the group plays “Penny In a Can!”, and the “special” relationship of Ellie and Andy (who hates their baby’s name?)….LOL!

I read somewhere a list of TV shows and they awards some would get and what shows should get them. Cougar Town was voted most underrated show.

kristina March 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for such a thorough post! Like you, I like this show but was hesitant in the beginning because of the title. I love trivia too and sometimes worry that I talk too much during a tv show – I think we’d have a good time watching tv shows and movies together!

Sarah @ Thrifty decor chick March 19, 2011 at 10:01 am

Julia, I love this show! When I saw this post I was so hoping you would put Ellie’s house in — I am perplexed by that one as well. I do think has to be an on purpose thing — it’s SO different than her. :) OK, my stepdaughter has me hooked on the show Pretty Little Liars, (I know!!), but the houses are half the reason I watch. LOVE the decor in all of them! I think you’d dig them too.

T. March 19, 2011 at 11:26 am

I was completely put off by the title of this TV show, but after your post, I got the first season from Netflix. I watched the pilot episode last night, and noticed that the EAT letters were different than what you show here. Instead of being colorful, they were brushed nickel. It is now my mission to catch when they change over to the flowery ones!

hookedonhouses March 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

That’s a good point–most sets are changed after the pilot episodes. Sometimes they film in real houses and then build similar sets if the show is picked up so they don’t spend the money up front to build them. Interesting that the EAT was in brushed nickel in the pilot–I hadn’t noticed that!

Magali March 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

We should watch TV together… Or maybe we would end up getting on each others’ nerves… Cause I’m pretty much like you. “Oh! Where do I know this actress from?” (And I don’t stop until I found the answer). Also, nobody can stand that I can watch the same scene over and over again just to have a better idea of what the set look like. And I get so excited when I recognize something I have at home!!!

Melkorka March 21, 2011 at 9:55 am

Amazing post ! -so much research you did! – thanks for the mention -had a lot of fun seeing all the photos and reading the background!

best!

Cherylhalver March 31, 2011 at 9:31 am

Any info on the blue painting in the entryway above the table? I love it!

Vanessa April 6, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Ellie’s bedroom furniture is the Harlow collection by RevcoIntl.com the set decorators added an upholstered panel to it. The dining chairs are by ballard designs, called constance side chairs (they come in other colors).
Jules nightstands are also revco, from the alex collection. The calico corners private label fabric on her barstools is actually by designer thomas paul, his fabric is carried by duralee (where cc gets it) and is made into a cool collection of rugs by chandra rugs. Hope that helps.
I am not a big lover of sitcoms, but do enjoy set design. :)

edela May 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

The set is crazy. I love it. One late night I actually recognized the waterlilies painting over the sofa from the set of the Golden Girls:

Jealouscopycat May 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

I would really love to see Jules’ backyard / pool area! From the glimpses I get, it looks amazing!

hookedonhouses May 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

I forgot to get any photos of the backyard and pool–sorry about that!

Donnica May 6, 2011 at 10:14 am

Thank you so much for this! I have been DVRing this show for ever and always find myself pausing to get a closer look at the decor! Your blog is the best!

Tabitha May 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I believe this website stole your post. I didn’t see credit for your work any where on the page….

hookedonhouses May 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm

You’re right! I hate when they do that. Thanks for letting me know, Tabitha.

Pat @ ABlogAboutThings.com July 6, 2011 at 7:02 am

Very delayed, but you’re welcome for the scans! Thanks so much for the link back!

Maz August 6, 2011 at 9:58 am

i love couger town this program it is the best viewing i have seen for a long long while.. it is so funny you can watch it over and over again and it doesnt get boring…
just wondering does anyone know what the pull out arm thing is above the cooker in jules house? we keep trying to figure it out but just cant.. help please?

hookedonhouses August 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm

You mean the pot filler? It’s just a faucet so you don’t have to carry your pot to the sink to fill it up.

Jo February 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows what the paint colours are in Ellie’s living room? I really want to paint that lime green with the darker green in the dish cupboard but not sure what colours they are!

Carissa May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I LOVE this show! I have been watching since the first episode and I agree it really doesn’t go with the title name other than the first two episodes.

I was beyond excited to FINALLY see the front room on the last episode. I love the dining table. Do you know where that is from? It seems most of the furniture is from Crate & Barrel for this set, so maybe it’s from there too? I was thinking that Ellie’s house didn’t make much sense either, it doesn’t match her personality at all. She should do a house makeover in the next season. ;)

They just announced next season will be on TBS, and I’m really upset. I hope the show doesn’t change too much.

Thanks for posting all the pictures!!

Michelle April 29, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Did anyone else notice that in the newest season her lamps are different! She got new white lamps

{ 3 trackbacks }