The “American Idol” Mansion on Mulholland Drive

by hookedonhouses on March 10, 2011

Have you been watching this season of “American Idol“? I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it has actually gotten pretty good this year. I was skeptical about their choice of judges and the show’s ability to move on without Simon Cowell, but they have managed to breathe some new life into the proceedings.

On last night’s show, Ryan Seacrest mentioned that the finalists had moved into a mansion together, so of course I had to see if I could track down photos of it. Turns out it’s a house in Beverly Hills that was already on another reality show earlier this week–“Million Dollar Listing” on Bravo (love that show).

After slogging through the Beverly Hills real estate listings, I found the mansion on Mulholland Drive. I recognized it right away as a house we had just seen real estate agent Josh Altman take a client to see on “MDL.”

They had only gotten halfway through the showing when Josh’s client said, “Um, yeah, I don’t need to see any more. Let’s move on.” And while I felt sorry for the crestfallen real estate agent who was giving them the tour, I could totally understand his lack of enthusiasm for the place.

The house has 15,000 square feet that includes 9 bedrooms and 9 baths. It looks way too big for a single family to live in comfortably, but it’s probably perfect for the AI kids to crash in for awhile.

The listing price for the house is $12 million, so why do these photos look like they were taken with a disposable camera in 1975?

Let’s hope none of the American Idol finalists attempt to actually sit on the benches on this ledge after a bad performance…

According to TMZ, the rent is $100,000 a month. *Cough.*

A lot of the beds in the house are up on raised platforms like this. Not sure I’d want to feel like I was sleeping on a stage.

My favorite thing about the house may be the view:

Do you have an “American Idol” contestant you’re rooting for? I think Casey is crazy talented, but so are a lot of the other finalists, so I have no idea who might end up in the top three. Anyone want to make a prediction?

More photos and information about the mansion on TMZ and the listing. Or check out Jennifer Lopez’s new digs.

Click Here to See More Famous Houses We’ve Seen on TV, Including the Mansion from “The Bachelor.”

Luciane at Homebunch.com March 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I don’t watch “American Idol”. I like it, but I’m not having time lately. Love seeing this house. Too fancy for me, but beautiful! The views are spectacular.

Have a great day, Julia!!!
xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady March 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I never watched either, but wow, that view! What a wonderful terrace :D

Bre March 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Wowza! That is some house, and an exorbitant amount in rent! I hope AI is getting a deal there. I too love the panoramic views. Those pictures look terribly grainy, not doing the house any favors either. The furniture is very grandiose (AKA not my style) I don’t think I would like to sleep on any of those beds either.

I have to confess, that I have never watched American Idol before. People singing, potentially embarrassing themselves or messing up in front of millions of people makes me cringe! My nerves can’t take it. What I can take, however, is Jennifer Lopez’s beautiful hair and makeup. I’m not sure if she is still working with her makeup artist Scott Barnes for the show or not, but she looks radiant and gorgeous!

Deb March 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I love Million Dollar Listing!! (especially when Mauricio happens to make a brief appearance – hubba hubba) Anyway – I just can’t picture all those young spunky contestants living in this place – seems a little too formal and uptight for that kinda group :)

Jackie W. - Kanasas March 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

That was the one with the 2 MB. Jennifer Anniston’s house is way over priced compared to this one & the modern one that guy decided to offer 15 mil $ for.

Jackie W. - Kanasas March 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm

And Josh does everything Grandma Edith says to do. She says, hire an assistant & he hires 2 unpaid interns. She says write a book & he does.

I miss Starla though.

skye March 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

a 15,000 square foot home, 9 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, a beautiful kitchen, an even MORE beautiful view and they only have two measley wicker chairs to sit in and look at it – and the chairs are facing EACH OTHER? “Um, yeah, I don’t need to see any more. Let’s move on.”

Ulana April 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Totally agree!

Hannah March 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

awesome! i didn’t think this year would be good either..but the talent is way better! especially paul mcdonald…who i happened to write a post on today! ha! what a cool place to be able to stay!!!!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I am into AI again after not watching the past two seasons out of sheer boredom. I actually like JLo and ST as judges! I can’t believe I forgot to DVR it last night. :s

Those photos look like they were taken with a bad cell phone camera. The agent out to be ashamed. A bed on a stage?? I am controlling myself and not typing what I want to about “performance.” You can thank me for that. ;)

I think Casey is awesome. I don’t even really care for country music, but I like Lauren Alaina and Scotty. Hope they chose good songs!

Cathryn March 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm

The picture you posted with the benches on the ledge reminded me of something, but it took me a minute to figure it out: The von Trapp family home grand staircase in The Sound of Music.
Creepy.

Lindsay March 10, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I completely agree with you! I came into the season after hearing good reports. Now I think it’s better than EVER! And every time Casey sings I think, ‘Why even continue??’.
Yeah, the house too much. GOOD GRIEF! I bet it would fun to wear rollerskates inside…

Pat March 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm

This house looks like it should come with a consierge! Maybe the Duggars would like it! The view is the seller, but not for that much!
I don’t watch Idol, but I do like Million dollar listings.

The Little Red Shop March 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Ditto on most of what Amanda @SN said. I stopped watching it a couple of years ago…and tuned back in to see how it would be with the new judges. I actually really appreciate them. Casey is a hoot and based on her first audition, I’ve always thought Lauren would be one of the top two. What do you think of Pia?

The first season of American Idol they actually showed the mansion where the contestants were staying….or maybe it was the second…or both. Do you know if that house has ever been used for any of the dating “reality” shows…or is it just a similar style? It looks familiar, but I’ve never seen that real estate show.

: )

Julie M.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile March 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm

As soon as I heard Ryan Seacrest mention the house last night, I knew I wanted to find it and put on my blog. But my second thought was that you would have it first and – voila! – here it is!

I’m so impressed – by you, though, not so much by the house.

Kim March 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I had no idea the contestants stayed in a mansion. I guess I always thought they stayed in a hotel.

That mansion is way too big for my taste, and although I don’t care for the style at all, that balcony is breathtaking. I could see myself sitting up there alot and enjoying the views, but it’s not enough to win me over.

I have only watched the season of AI with Clay Aiken, but I haven’t cared to watch it since. I do however, sometimes watch the auditions on youtube.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints March 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

You are awesome! Seriously I was watching last night thinking I wonder what in the world that mansion looks like?? Thank you for looking it up. Talk about giant and cold..perfect for this kind of thing though. My favorites are Casey and Stefano. I actually love the show this year. The judges are a great new fit for a show that was getting pretty predictable.

Londen@sixtyfifthavenue March 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I agree, the pictures are not very good for a 12 million dollar house! I’m glad you dug this up for us…I was curious to see it. As far as the judges go, I wasn’t too sure I would like the change, but I think they are great together.

Nita March 11, 2011 at 1:36 am

I think James might take the whole thing, and I do love Scotty and Pia. But I also love the Mexican-American girl who was saved tonight, she is precious. This house is like a football field it’s so huge, but I was most impressed with the views. Funny, it’s in Beverly Hills, yet it feels like wine country.

karen ho fatt@ family fire pit reviews March 11, 2011 at 9:57 am

Rather extravagant to say the least- not one that I would want to live in. Interior design does not look great either- the furniture looks like they are floating in all the rooms as the rooms are so massive.

And Yes agreed that they could have taken better pics for such an expensive house!

This years contest is a toss up- hard to choose , the talent is pretty good this year.

Jodi from New Jersey March 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hi Julia. Idol is my favorite show. It’s one of the few shows on at night that my whole family can enjoy. Especially lately , my daughter and I have been enjoying the girls’ ( including J Lo’s)outfits! I’m rooting for Pia. Can’t help but to have a soft spot for a New York Italian girl! I used to be one , after all. The mansion’s OK, goes along with the whole DREAM theme. Dreams do come true!! Thanks… great job –love your blog, as usual.

ljb March 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I was sick when Simon quit but gave it a chance. My adult daughter has loved Steven Tyler all her life and I couldn’t understand. She called him ugly sexy. But it is true, a person’s insides shine through. He is so cute, so attentive, so sweet, that when he smiled at someone the other night I thought…….Ugly Sexy. Did I say that!

Louie March 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

While the benches in the picture look like it’s just inches from the edge of the ledge, it’s just a little camera trickery. If you take a closer look and compare the picture to other pictures in that area, there’s actually a railing to prevent people from accidently falling over, whether they had a bad performance or not.

Julie March 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

The platforms that the beds sit on. What were they thinking? It looks ridiculous and is a great plan for stubbed toes and falls when getting up in the middle of the night.

The whole thing just looks sad. It doesn’t look loved. It looks like a few pieces of undersized rented furniture are strewn about to make it look furnished.

And what is up with the benches on the ledge? No purpose and it looks – well, stupid.

jackieee March 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love PAUL!!! I really think that he is so unique and radiates energy, love, and a passion for his music. He is my fave!!!!!!!

Love ya

jackieee March 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Did I say that PAUL is going to win? He is A M A Z I N G

Miss me March 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Also, I am so glad that freaky Karen is gone…She just grated on me like fingernails on a chalkboard. And her mother is going to have to find another way to live….instead of through “her karen”. Boo Hoo… I couldn’t take another week with her on the stage. What an annoying and whiny human! See ya….wouldn’t want to be ya!

cece April 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

this house go HARD how much was it i bet it was 10000000 to 23000000 dollars

anemona June 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm

very impresioned this post

CandieK July 9, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I’m just now seeing this; I’m not an American Idol viewer…however, this post intrigues me. Since the listing is expired, do you know when it was built? 2004-05? I ask because I’m pretty sure that I witnessed this being built (if it’s the same one I’m thinking of). I used to hike Runyon Canyon quite a bit and I would access the trails via Mulholland. In the early stages it had to be repainted because someone had vandalized it with graffiti. The outside is beautiful, but, I find the interior design to be way too garish, in my opinion. Just a few yards away is the house from Hollywood Homicide, by the way (with the horse stable). Lots of nice real estate up there!

hookedonhouses July 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm

It looked fairly new so it’s possible it could have been built around that time. I’m afraid I don’t know for sure, though.

{ 1 trackback }