5 of the Funniest Real Estate Listings of 2010

by hookedonhouses on January 4, 2011

Every day you guys send me funny (and scary and awful) photos from the real estate listings, and I post the funniest (and scariest and worst) of the lot. Out of all of those Bad MLS listings, these were the 5 most popular of 2010!

#5. Be a Doll and Buy This House:

Be a Doll and Buy This HouseThis may have only been the 5th most clicked, but it was one of my personal faves. Ellen DeGeneres even used it on her show recently (along with this one). The doll is in every photo of the listing, and her behavior gets increasingly bizarre as the tour progresses…

orange-line

#4. In This Trophy Room, There Are No Winners:

trophy roomOkay, maybe not too funny if you’re an animal lover…and the other rooms aren’t much better.

orange-line

#3. Home Staging on a Budget:

Home Staging on a BudgetI thought it was actually kind of sweet (if misguided) how the pair of vases “staged” every room of the house together and gave us the tour. I loved all your comments on this one.

orange-line

#2. It’s Time to Fire Your Real Estate Agent When…

Good Reason to Fire Your AgentThis listing featured a series of bad, fuzzy, poorly lit photos, topped off by this fabulous one of the pleased-as-punch agent herself. I’m still not sure what she’s so happy about.

orange-line

#1. Girls Not Included

The Palace bedroom with girls

Of all the crazy listings we looked at this year, readers thought that this one, with scantily clad “models” lounging around in a hideously decorated mansion, took the cake.

You Can See All of the Bad MLS Listings I Featured in 2010 HERE. Did you have a favorite? The one “With Unexpected Extras” still makes me laugh, even though it didn’t make the list!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad January 4, 2011 at 8:28 am

Those are hilarious. Keep it up, Julia!
-Trish
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..Giveaway! =-.

Ricki Jill Treleaven January 4, 2011 at 8:30 am

Those are truly horrible, Julia. But I still think the worst one is Bride of Chuckie. What were the realtors thinking? But these crazy listings do make it fun for us here @ Hooked on Houses, LOL ;D
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Goals for 2011 =-.

Anna .S January 4, 2011 at 8:33 am

I always enjoy viewing theses pictures, please post some more in the new year!!!

Vanessa@Decor Happy January 4, 2011 at 8:37 am

Always a good laugh Julia! Look forward to more this year.
.-= Vanessa@Decor Happy´s last blog ..Favourite Posts from 2010 =-.

Stacy@RedDoorHome January 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

So enjoy seeing these although it does makes me wonder if any of these houses actually sold!
.-= Stacy@RedDoorHome´s last blog ..How to Cover a Dining Room Chair =-.

Kristin January 4, 2011 at 8:55 am

Wow, I have always looked at photos before and often wondered who would allow those kind of photos! I love seeing a collection like this.

Maddie January 4, 2011 at 9:00 am

Apparently the “Girls not included” house is still on the market and has been reduced by over $4 million!

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 4, 2011 at 9:02 am

Here’s to another year of really really bad MLS photos!!! ;)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Chick Flick Club Revival =-.

Luciane at Homebunch.com January 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

The doll is the craziest for me! Gee.. creepy!!!! :-)

Julia, I need to share my post with you today! I’m posting about NATALIE PORTMAN’S HOUSE! Please, go take a look! :-)

Thank you!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

beth January 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

Wow, those are bad!! Can’t wait to see more in 2011.
Hope you have a great day!
Beth.
.-= beth´s last blog ..Year in Review Our top projects of 2010 =-.

Luciane at Homebunch.com January 4, 2011 at 10:05 am

Julia,

It’s always great to read your comments on my blog. :-)

I know… it’s shocking, eh? I’d NEVER imagine Natalie Portman living a house like that. I guess she isn’t the way we think… maybe she likes houses with more “personality” & character.

Have a great day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints January 4, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love it when you do these. I remember them all! Yikes!!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..A life in grace =-.

Janell Beals January 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

I love these posts of yours…always good for a laugh and a few puzzled looks! Looking forward to more in 2011!
Janell

Don Corson January 4, 2011 at 9:31 am

Are we seeing a trend with agents “placing” objects in every photo (dolls, flowers, live models). I sure hope not.
I must admit, the doll, however creepy, got my attention. I might want to show the house, just to see the doll close up.
.-= Don Corson´s last blog ..If Harley Davidson was your interior designer… =-.

Shelia January 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

Happy New Year, Julia! Oh, I have to agree – the doll in the house is my favorite. I had a doll just like this when I was a little girl. It was called A Three Year Old Doll. I loved her. My mother kept this doll and when I had my first child, a little boy, she showed it to him and he screamed in terror. He was scared to death of that doll. So every time I see one all I can think of was his screaming and crying and running away from that doll! :) It does look a little creepy doesn’t it?
You’re so much fun with all the listings you show us. Happy 2011!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..New Header Reveal =-.

Nichole January 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

I remember being freaked out by the doll one the most.
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Fat Tuesday =-.

Pat January 4, 2011 at 9:57 am

I really enjoy these so much! Sometimes they come at just the right time to inject some laughter into my day, and who couldn’t use a little more laughter?!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Love These Things! =-.

The English Organizer January 4, 2011 at 10:38 am

The one with the moving flowers was one of my all-time faves: I laughed and laughed and then made my husband look at it. But those lingerie models are really quite startling, too!

Struggling to be Stylish is now The English Organizer. All visits most welcome!
.-= The English Organizer´s last blog ..4 Steps to Organize Any Space =-.

middlesister January 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

Sister and I are back at our staging after a month off. Hope I can make the industry proud. (from the photos that won’t be difficult) Yikes! Thanks for the laugh.

Heather January 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

The doll with a cocktail class gets me every time!

Alison January 4, 2011 at 11:28 am

Each one was the creepiest until the last one with the girls. Truly terrible!
.-= Alison´s last blog ..Resolve =-.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip January 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

Too funny!! Thank you for the laugh this morning! =)
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..HAPPY NEW YEAR! =-.

Date Girl January 4, 2011 at 11:52 am

This was my first visit to your site and I’m so glad I stopped by. Hilarious!! I love the little staged vases. Those are adorable. The doll was super creepy. The real estate agent is a moron! Love the site, and I will definitely be back.
.-= Date Girl´s last blog ..Post It Note Tuesday-First PINT of the New Year =-.

hookedonhouses January 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

That’s what I like to hear! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

desiree January 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I don’t know how to choose the best (errrr the worst) doll, dead animals or girls on the bed! Thanks for the laugh!

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses January 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Love (hate?) them all, but the dolls take the cake. I can’t wait to see what bad listings you come up with this year!
.-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Sand Castle =-.

Kelly Berg January 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

so funny! Happy New Year, Julia. Can’t wait to see what funny ( and scary and awful) mls photos rear their heads in 2011…

Jenn (GreenDoorGirl) January 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oh no, I see myself getting sucked into this for way too long – these are hillarious!

Kim January 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I would have to say the “A House That Loves Paint”, is one of the worst msl photos I have ever seen. It looks like a drug house or someone mental lived there. I wouldn’t want to set foot in that house.

The creepiest though, is the “Be a Doll and Buy this House”. She looks like she could come alive at any moment.

Thanks for sharing all of these with us. I can’t wait for you to do more MSL photos, this year.

down-sizingboomer January 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

What are they thinking? Join me at the new blog my daughter and I have started at http://www.the2seasons.com
.-= down-sizingboomer´s last blog ..I Have Moved =-.

Sharon January 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Oh Julia ,these where so funny ,the vases where kind of desperate ,but you missed another one of my favourites ,the one with the Alf doll lurking in every picture.It’s wonderful that you are able to find these for us to view ,too funny :)
.-= Sharon´s last blog ..What can be Better than Shopping – And Saving Money =-.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy January 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm

2 is the worst! What is wrong with that agent?
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy´s last blog ..Yackety-yak- Happy New Year! =-.

carey January 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I love this post. My favorites are the doll and the vases. At least people have a sense of humor. I hope they were not being serious.
CareyAnn
.-= carey´s last blog ..Oh Christmas Tree =-.

Nancy Hood January 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm

The doll was super creepy to me! In fact, had I been a buyer and walked in and spotted it, we would never have gone further. Ugh!! Happy New Year, girl!!!
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Some Ideas for 2011 =-.

Rachel January 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Oh wow. How did I miss the vases?!?!? That is the funniest thing I have seen in a while! Especially the one where they are peeking out from the bathroom!

Julianne January 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm

OK. This just gave me the best laugh I’ve had all day. Laughs, I should say…these were hilarious.

Chrissy January 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm

The doll one was definitely the creepiest!!

Susan January 4, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Julia, these were all hysterical! I really wonder about the “animal” one. Very strange!
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Abercorn Place- Southern Living Idea House in Senoia Georgia =-.

Lauren @ Meet My Ugly Baby January 6, 2011 at 10:02 am

It was quite a year! Roll on 2011 – high hopes for listings that include trolls, Justin Bieber shrines, blatant meth labs…
.-= Lauren @ Meet My Ugly Baby´s last blog ..At last – my ugly- dirty secret =-.

Bre January 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm

hahahaha I love this fantastically bad, yet hilarious recap! I can’t wait to see the gems 2011 brings!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..BreBeauty Quick Tip- Nail Polish Removal =-.

Debbie Kruzel January 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thanks for sharing – it’s great to be able to laugh once in a while (not to mention to wonder how agents can get away with this stuff????) Keep it coming!
.-= Debbie Kruzel´s last blog ..77 Days on the Massachusetts-New Hampshire state line – Day 40- Gentle Acupuncture Salem NH =-.

Adam January 6, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I love the idea of putting a doll in the photo and moving it around room to room

MMP March 1, 2011 at 7:45 pm

There are no words…actually, there are words. But my mother taught me better than to say ones such as these. Wow!!!

vickie April 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

I’m amazed that in the “Girls Not Included” hyper-self-indulgent “mansion”, the owner left his “Just for Men” hair dye on the bathroom counter.

Steve June 3, 2011 at 9:56 am

Very funny. I like seeing these. Anyone selling their home should insist on having quality photography.

Thanks

Lolita Hayes July 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Great post! I’m shopping for a new home and it really IS amazing how truly awful some of them are. My personal “favorite” is a “retreat” (read: hunters’ lodge/dump) in a wooded hill town (in W.Mass.) near us. The pictures prominently feature garbage strewn about, as if by design, and in one bathroom, the door was kicked (and left) open, with lumps of snow and a toilet that was taped shut! I could NOT believe anyone would post this (literal) garbage on an internet site! P.S. Anything with dolls says to me: WEIRD ENERGY! GET OUT!

Commercial Real Estate Directory April 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Those are awesome! Thanks for sharing, my co-workers got a good kick out of em.