Be a Doll and Buy This House

Carrie at fireplace

When I first saw this real estate listing for a $1.175-million home in Hermosa Beach, California, I thought the doll was just a quirky addition to the living room decor. So imagine my surprise when she popped up in the bathroom, too, looking like she’s ready to run a bath…

Bad MLS listing-Creepy Carrie bathtub

What’s this? Now she’s standing on the sink!

Carrie on sink

Dolly would like to show you the sofa in the living room:

Carrie on second sofa

This reminds me of the listing with the two vases that popped up in every room — remember that one?

Carrie at desk

Meet Dolly’s sworn enemy, the Mannequin in the Hall. “Don’t make me stick another pin on you!”

Carrie and mannequin

There’s no mention of the doll in the real estate agent’s description. It does say “Best-kept secret in Hermosa!” After looking at these photos, I’m a little scared to ask what the secret is.

Carrie on sofa

Did I mention that this house is selling for over $1 million? Maybe the photos make more sense when you’ve been drinking a little, like Dolly has…

Carrie on lounge chair-closeup

Uh-oh. Looks like she had one too many. I think the tour is over. (Thanks to Monica for finding this listing!)

Carrie on third tub

P.S. Visit my Funny Real Estate page to see more, including…

7 Unusual Things Spotted in Real Estate Listings

6 Real Estate Listings That Have Me Baffled

5 reasons homeowners shouldn't appear in RE listings

Comments

OMG! That is a cross between hilarious and plain ol’ creepy. I would say that must be one eccentric homeowner.
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Boo Hoo =-.

2. Christie says

Creepy! Remember the movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I can so see the crazy sister living there…

I’m gonna go with creepy, like really, really, really creepy. Course, it could have been a whole heck of a lot creepier and been a clown.
    .-= Bethany´s last blog ..Chuck the crutch =-.

• Tracey says

Oh no, don’t even say it……………!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh !!!!!!

Creepy beyond words :-)

I’m very much in the creepy camp!! I can’t believe the real estate actually went with it!! was a lil bit of a giggle though Julia…thanks!!!
    .-= allyson´s last blog ..Halloween!!! =-.

5. Tiffany S. says

Well if that ain’t the WHAT THE WHAT??? of the week, then I don’t know what is. That is whacked. Are they serious about the million dollars? Nuts, pure nuts!

6. Billy says

Hermosa is the quirkiest/surfiest of the four beach cities that squeeze in between toney Palos Verdes Estates and LAX. So the crazy doll and kitschy decor are not surprising, but she dose tip the balance toward creepy, because my sisters use to scare me with their Suzzy-Stand-up till I was…to old to be freaked by a doll.

7. Patricia says

I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. The sofa caption was the best. Thank you.

8. Cindy says

I don’t think the owner had anything to do with it except it was probably a doll they had around. Those sneaky real estate agents have figured out how to get attention and more exposure!

9. Kim says

This is too funny! That doll does remind me of the vase house. Wouldn’t it be funny if both realtors are related? They could barrow each other’s staging items. Yeah forget it. These realtors need to go out of business.

10. Jenny says

It reminds me a little of Chucky from that scary movie “Child’s Play”. I just can’t see it having any positive effect on prospective buyers.

WOWZER! I couldn’t buy the house because I’d be worried some crazy doll ghost would come get me. You know what would have been nice? If the agent took photos that actually showed the house. Weird.
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..The safest place =-.

12. Trish says

Was this meant to be quirky? but missed the mark and is instead seriously creepy? Perhaps Chucky has a girlfriend…

That is the weirdest thing ever!!!
    This person is an artist!!!

Reminds me of The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright :o)
    .-= Miz Booshay´s last blog .. =-.

14. Heidi Stefanc says

WOW. The last photo of the Doll looks as though she had to much to drink , one eye almost closed. Kind of reminded me of a I love Lucy show. But if the doll does not scare them the colors on the walls will.
    One thing I did love was the Teal phone and lamp combo.

15. Sally says

Somebody w/ a good sense of humor, no doubt — but I find it creepy, and if I were seriously looking….would move on to the next listing. Besides – people are only looking to find the doll in each picture (can you say Where’s Waldo?) I barely noticed the rooms. AND, what is UP with that asking price? Seriously?

16. Misty says

I am literally laughing out loud right now…Love the pics, but love your captions even more. What a way to start my morning!

The secret is- the doll will randomly show up at different times in different rooms of the house. It’s creepy, the doll isn’t even cute.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Mornings =-.

This is a “perfect” combination of bad taste with some sense of humor. :-)

At least they got what they wanted: attention!!! Right? lol

Luciane at HOMEBUNCH.COM

19. Farmeress says

It got attention and long-looks for a house that wouldn’t otherwise (with that price tag) earn them! Is there a “Smart” or desperate category????

20. lisak says

Oooh. My sisters had that doll. Saucy Walker. She was creepy in 1968, too.

Oh, my! When me and my sister were little, mom had similar sized dolls she kept in her bedroom that freaked us out. We’d think they were alive and were watching us (we were 4-5.) Scary things when you’re that little! She finally got rid of them but I still remember the dream I had when I was about 6 about all her dolls coming alive and wanting to trap and kill us! That is one seriously scary listing. And what’s even funnier is the doll itself is so freaking crazy looking! With the weird eyes and messed up hair. Was the realtor trying to be funny? I hope so, or else that is even creepier.
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..1890 Victorian- Lake City- CO =-.

22. Leah says

Haha! I think it’s funny and definitely crazy, but I’m not creeped out.

23. Stefanie says

What a disappointment — where are the pictures of the doll whipping up dinner in the kitchen, doing a load of laundry and lounging around the master bedroom? :) I think the real estate agent stole this idea from those terrible Old Navy commercials that use the mannequins instead of real people. This is just awful.

Hi, Julia. Well, first I said, “Oh! How creepy!” THEN, I said: “Hey… wait a minute! I think that’s Kissy!!!!” Kissy was a doll I had when I was little, in the early 60’s. So after I saw that it was “Kissy” then I wasn’t scared anymore. LOL!
    Best,
    Gloria
    .-= Gloria´s last blog ..Autumn in my neck of the woods =-.

25. Cori Heffernan says

Reminds me of the Lonely Doll Storybook although this house looks a bit sad. Maybe they should have done the pics in black and white.

26. lindseydawn says

Crazy!! my favorite part: “she’s very exited about it”

I’m cracking up! When I roll my mouse over the pictures, I see the doll is named “Carrie”. Did you name her that? I know it was the name of a scary movie!
    If placing props in photos of (ugly over priced) homes for sale becomes a trend, we’re in for a lot of good laughs in the future!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..In no particular order… =-.

• hookedonhouses says

The reader who sent me the link referred to her as “Creepy Carrie.” Good name for her! -Julia :-)

28. Patti says

So creepy! I guess they wanted to distract the viewer from the horrible rooms. The pictures are awful.

Doll… creepy and funny.

And I think it might have been the Realtor who had a liquid lunch before they took these pictures, because ONCE again… people are buying the HOUSE not the furniture – PLEASE show the rooms, not close ups of a couch….
    .-= LIzzy´s last blog ..Sometimes It Should Be Easier =-.

30. Kathy says

Funny and creepy! Enough to deter me from ever looking at that house, no matter how good of a deal it was.

31. lindajb says

Sorry, doll collectors, but I think dolls poised all over the house is creepy and just down right tacky. Marie Osmond sells dolls (and I love her) sells dolls on QVC and she talks about what you can do with this one and that one and I just want to barf. Oh well, to each his own. I’m sure at least one person would barf at my house.

32. Carrie says

The creepy factor was really dialed up in this listing. Do you still have to pay a huge commission the a realtor that does this? Yikes.

33. Susan S says

I personally don’t know what to think! Someone’s quirky humor?? The house doesn’t appear to be too bad, but needs complete updating.

bahahaha your comments crack me up! This is downright creepy and very sad. It absolutely reminded me of the omnipresent plants from an earlier post. I’m not a fan of life size dolls and I don’t see the relevance in a real estate listing. Her fake drinking was too much, as is the price for this ” best kept secret” house.
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Holy Grail- Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV Foundation SPF 20 =-.

35. Ann says

OMG, I’m totally creeped out. I wouldn’t want to live in the same neighborhood. As the realtor.

36. Amanda says

The girls and I got a HUGE kick out of this post…your commentary is hysterical! One word—CREEPY!!!!!!!!

Maybe the owner told the agent, “You can have my million dollar listing, but I insist my darling Suzy be in every shot. She’s adorable.” Otherwise, I cannot explain this hilariously creepy listing.

38. jeannine520 says

Another bit of proof that real estate agents are twisted.

I think either the seller or the agent reads your blog and read the vase listing. They thought, if I can get this on hooked on homes, more people will see it and read about it for free. They thought any marketing would be better than no marketing!
    .-= Lindsay H´s last blog ..Saras House Warming Party =-.

40. Judith H. Levins says

I thought it was hysterical. Though the listing price is even funnier ; ) Tell me does the doll come with the house LOL. I guess they needed a gimmick, the last shot cracks me up with one eye closed…oh my!

• hookedonhouses says

I think for that price, the doll should definitely come with it… 😉

I’m not sure if I can stop laughing long enough to type a comment. It’s just sick and twisted. Makes me think of Talky Tina from the original Twilight Zone show. “My name is Talky Tina and I’m going to kill you…if you don’t buy this house.”
    .-= Tallgrass Design´s last blog ..Floral Foam Tips =-.

42. Anna .S says

House needs to be refreshed and toning down of the color palate. As for the doll that would just creep me out, i would avoid this listing due to the fact of this doll in question. Quirky sense of humor..well not my kind of humor but to someone else I suppose it’s comical!

43. Linda P. says

*whispering* omg… definitely creepy… like dolly is posessed or something. by the house maybe? *shudder*

Who on earth would pay that much for a house with hideous blue paint, crappy furniture, and an uber-creepy doll?!

45. Kellie says

Too creepy.

On another note, she looks like a Shirley Temple doll.

Re: The Dolly House. The photographer seems to be out of touch, with what sells and what people might perceive as an inspiring photo; it’s more about the doll photo shoot than looking at the property. It’s hard to tell what the place looks like!
    .-= Kimberly C.´s last blog ..Sale! =-.

47. Julianne says

OH my gosh, I am DYING laughing over here. I missed the original post but caught it when you did the re-run of it today. Thanks a lot — that had me in stitches. And my husband was chuckling too.

Oh that was such a funny blog post. Speaking of the doll – I had one like that when I was a kid. I had wanted Patty Playpal for Christmas, but my parents thought she a bit too expensive – so they bought me a doll called “Sister Marilyn.” She was bigger that Patty Playpal – but not as cute. She looked just like the doll in these photos!!

Anyway – I clicked on the listing link – and the doll is no longer there. I don’t know how the realtor could have ever put up these photos! Maybe she was thinking like an advertiser who purposely puts on a really annoying commercial – so that everyone remembers it!

Julia, I have a listing in my town that is pretty bad. Do I just send you the link to it?

Thanks for the post!

Linda Leyble

• hookedonhouses says

Aw, you’re right, they took the funny photos down. Maybe the doll wasn’t selling the house as well as they hoped?

Like…. cureepeeee dude! Always wondered where the whelp of Chuckie and Bride Of ended up, but never suspected it was right next to my hometown. Just to let folks know, it’s rarely the house you buy for bucks anywhere near a California beach (and if it is, you’re really going to pay … try $4-5 mil) … but always it’s the property. Regardless, Child of Chuckie would be better left chained in the closet, no matter the zip-code, or how hard her ‘masters’ are trying to detract one’s eye from the inviting (sic) (wait … should that be sick) interior.

That is too funny! Good to see some people don’t take life too seriously. But if it was my house, I wouldn’t take that chance!

51. Dawn says

I don’t think it’s creepy. It’s kind of cute but I could live without it.

The doll isn’t going to win me over one way or another.

I think a nice house will sell itself without that kind of “staging”. However, some staging is nice.

When we were looking at houses, one of the master baths had a bucket of champagne near the jacuzzi tub. That was nice! And the master bath was beautiful. I could have just lived in that room alone.

I’d be a bit worried about the doll popping up everywhere….does “Chucky” ring a bell anyone? Or maybe I have been watching TOO many horror movies…

53. Janice says

I have the exact doll,dress her every hallowe’en for display,she is 54 years old this year!!!!!

54. Tracy says

I had that doll when I was little. Always wondered what happened to her. Had no idea she’d gone into real estate.

55. cyndyana says

The doll is cute, the house if retro funky and the captions were hilarious!

56. Kelly Morrison says

I would open up the drywall. Don’t be surprised if a body is inside. That doll is hiding something.

57. Menahil says

TOO Creepy! Btw, this house is so ugly who would ever buy it for over a MILLION!!??