The Bowen Island Dream House from “The Uninvited”

Dock in the movie

Have you noticed that a lot of scary and suspenseful movies tend to have fabulous houses in them? Case in point: the one from The Uninvited. The house sits on 4.9 acres on Bowen Island in British Columbia with 550′ of waterfront, and–lucky for us–it’s on the market right now, so we can peek inside.

Uninvited-house for sale-ext

The Uninvited, a remake of the Korean film A Tale of Two Sisters, is a thriller about a troubled girl who returns home from a mental hospital to discover that a new, possibly evil stepmother has moved into her home (played by Elizabeth Banks).

It may not be a happy home, but it sure is beautiful.

Uninvited house-living rm

Producer Walter Parkes says he fell in love with the property:

“I would say 75% of this story takes place at the house, and really, in any given movie there’s some element that if you didn’t get that element, you couldn’t make the movie. The specific issue on this (project) was the house.

“We went all over America. We went all over Canada. We had scouts in New Zealand. But I have to say, I’ve never seen a location like this. I’ve never found a place that is so perfect for a movie, so evocative, that suggests the family is both welcoming and kind of foreboding.”

You can read more of the interview with Parkes here.

Uninvited house-dining room

Uninvited house-kitchen

Filming a scene in the kitchen:

filming in kitchen

Uninvited house-mbr

I’m in love with this bathroom:

Uninvited house-mba

According to the Edmonton Journal:

The location needed…an entire redecoration on the inside to ensure the eight-year-old structure looked “lived in” and suitably intellectual. Antiques and artwork were rented locally and some “insanely expensive” wallpaper was imported from Britain to give the house a “writerly” feel: In the film, David  Strathairn plays a successful novelist.

Uninvited house-home office

The house is listed for $6.95 million. For more photos and info, check the listing by Hal Barber.

family room scene

Have you seen the movie? Did you guess the surprise twist at the end? Or were you too busy gawking at the house to pay attention to the clues? 😉

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit TV/Movie Houses to see more!

Comments

1. Nita says

Oh, I can finally comment. This isn’t a makeover of the original The Uninvited, with Gail Russell and I think Ray Milland, is it? That is one of my favorite 1940s movies and you might like that house too.

Once again today on Turner Classics, I am watching Leave Her to Heaven. Can’t wait till you feature the multiple homes in it.

This is a stunning home, that kitchen is incredible!! And it’s in my province! {BC} It really is a gorgeous setting, inside and out. I haven’t seen this film yet, but now I’ll have to watch even just for the home :)
    Nancy
    .-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..house tour- leah baldersons condo =-.

Fun to see a house in my own backyard (I live on Van Island, but grew up in Vancouver, and visited Bowen Island many a time). Gorgeous house, and trust me, Bowen Island is a vary suitable location for such a stunning home.
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..New or Used =-.

just IN LOVE in love in love in love with this place – it just works on soooo many levels – water, garden, rooms, view – just a delight – off to read more le
    .-= le@thirdontheright´s last blog ..Blossom Boys =-.

When I saw this movie-I actually thought of you!!! Funny-I know!!! Have you seen the house in the movie:”When a Stranger Calls”- maybe you have!!! I think it’s absolutely stunning!
    .-= Paula´s last blog ..desktop calendar =-.

6. Gerry says

Well, I’ve actually never even heard of this movie but I’m going to have to find it and watch it now! Beautiful home. The beams really remind me of the house that Kevin (Owen Wilson) lived in in Meet the Parents.

I’ve never heard of this movie – just call me out of touch!
    I must see it now, this house is calling my name. I’m always saying I want a house with a view, this one offers that a much more! It could be an advertisement for a window company!
    I think I could become a hermit in this house.
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Sunday Scripture =-.

So, here in Vancouver, there’s a rule: any movie filmed in this city (and there are many) categorically sucks. I haven’t seen this one yet – fingers crossed it bucks the trend – but holy moly West Coast dream house!
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Busy How to make a DIY schedule =-.

Amazing house!! I haven’t seen the movie because I am a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to horror and the previews freaked me out. But I just might brave it to see this house in action!
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Fireplace Pumpkins =-.

10. Kim says

What a gorgeous house. I love everthing about it- the property, the interior, exterior, and more. This is a dream home for me.

11. Alyssa says

I was wondering when or if you would notice this house i saw the movie and said to myself if I lived there i would never leave !!! =) Great movie !! I love spooky movies with great houses like as you know (What Lies Beneath) Thanks for putting this up !!=D

Scary movies usually freak me out, even when they feature cool houses (What Lies Beneath, as Alyssa mentioned, may have given me nightmares, haha). But I just might have to put my fears aside to watch this one. What a gorgeous property!
    .-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Where’s the Wastebasket =-.

13. Angela says

Since I don’t do scary movies, I just HAD to look up the story line online….wowsers! I bet this is a great movie – although too scray for me!

~angela @ peonypatch

This is such a great house! Love that bathroom! It was a pretty good movie and I wasn’t expecting the ending at all!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Im in love =-.

15. Lindab says

Julia, you turned me on to Gilmore Girls and now I HAVE to see if I can rent this movie. You keep me intertained one way or the other.
    By the way, love your new picture.

16. jan says

I could fit half my house inside that kitchen. But I love the house. It may be big but it is tasteful.

Yeah, I have noticed that too! Whenever I am watching a movie, I am always checking out the house they are in. I usually fall in love with it and have to find out where it is. I think your blog is great and satisfies my curiosity as to where these fabulous homes really are!
    .-= Jamilyn´s last blog ..A Cozy Fall Day At My HouseLiving It &amp Loving It =-.

18. Cori Heffernan says

I saw this movie. The end was great. It’s funny when I watched it, I thought to my self this a “Hooked on Houses” kind of movie. I now look at movies wondering if you will profile them!

19. Billy says

Its only $6,79ok in US$, but couldn’t I get a whole island for that?

Have you ever watched the original versions of these movies? Not quite as scary when you have to read them. The house in “Ju-on: The Grudge”, remade in for the US with Sara Michele Geller, is interesting.

Believe it or not, this house is actually about an hour away from where I live and weirdly enough I’ve seen this movie (and fell in love with the house) AND I have pictures of this real estate listing saved on my computer but I NEVER put it together that it’s the same house! I spent an entire evening looking at this real estate listing one night and informed my husband that if we won the lottery before that house sold then get ready to move because I’m in love. Haha that’s so funny!
    Thanks Julia, great post!
    Heidi@RecklessBliss
    xoxo
    .-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..-Snapshot Of The Week- =-.

Hi,
    This is also MY DREAM HOME! I did a post about this property another day.
    It seems the owners really want it sold. According with their realtor, the house is “priced well below replacement cost and appraisal”. Wow!!!

You can see MANY pictures and more info about this dreamy place here:

PS: Thank you, Julia for ALWAYS posting really interesting houses! You’re super!

Luciane.

22. amanda says

Yay, you did this one! I really like this movie, and I honestly think most of that is because I love the house so much. Are you going to do more with shots from the film? I really want pics of their great arched doors in the bed and bathrooms. And I love all the wallpapers in the house.

23. lucy says

do you know I could have sworn I saw that room that is now the bathroom on a rerun of ‘Rain Man’ last night in a scene where Tom cruise and his love interest were sitting in renovation squaller…the opening scene showed a similar house…..could it be the one and same ???

24. Nita says

I have never heard of this movie! But, I don’t like that it has the same name as the 1940s The Uninvited. I thought it was a remake but doesn’t sound like it. Where could I get a copy of this and when was it in theatres?