The Bowen Island Dream House from “The Uninvited”

by hookedonhouses on October 3, 2010

Dock in the movieHave you noticed that a lot of scary and suspenseful movies tend to have fabulous houses in them? Case in point: the one from The Uninvited. The house sits on 4.9 acres on Bowen Island in British Columbia with 550′ of waterfront, and–lucky for us–it’s on the market right now, so we can peek inside.

Uninvited-house for sale-ext

The Uninvited, a remake of the Korean film A Tale of Two Sisters, is a thriller about a troubled girl who returns home from a mental hospital to discover that a new, possibly evil stepmother has moved into her home (played by Elizabeth Banks).

It may not be a happy home, but it sure is beautiful.

Uninvited house-living rm

Producer Walter Parkes says he fell in love with the property:

“I would say 75% of this story takes place at the house, and really, in any given movie there’s some element that if you didn’t get that element, you couldn’t make the movie. The specific issue on this (project) was the house.

“We went all over America. We went all over Canada. We had scouts in New Zealand. But I have to say, I’ve never seen a location like this. I’ve never found a place that is so perfect for a movie, so evocative, that suggests the family is both welcoming and kind of foreboding.”

You can read more of the interview with Parkes here.

Uninvited house-dining room

Uninvited house-kitchen

Filming a scene in the kitchen:

filming in kitchen

Uninvited house-mbr

I’m in love with this bathroom:

Uninvited house-mba

According to the Edmonton Journal:

The location needed…an entire redecoration on the inside to ensure the eight-year-old structure looked “lived in” and suitably intellectual. Antiques and artwork were rented locally and some “insanely expensive” wallpaper was imported from Britain to give the house a “writerly” feel: In the film, David  Strathairn plays a successful novelist.

Uninvited house-home office

A scene from the movie with Elizabeth Banks, David Strathairn, and Emily Browning:

family room scene

Have you seen the movie? Did you guess the surprise twist at the end? Or were you too busy gawking at the house to pay attention to the clues? ;-)

The house is listed for $6.95 million. For more photos and info, check the listing by Hal Barber. Thanks to Jenny for the link!

Visit TV/Movie Houses for more “perfect for Halloween month” flicks, from Bewitched to What Lies Beneath.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish October 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Wow!! I just love this house! Everything about it is just beautiful! I am totally bookmarking this for my “dream home” file. That kitchen is amazing. And the wood beams are just incredible! Thanks for sharing!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..More Shimmer at the Front Door =-.

Sharon @Elizabeth & Co. October 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Wow, that is an amazing house!!!

Nita October 3, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Oh, I can finally comment. This isn’t a makeover of the original The Uninvited, with Gail Russell and I think Ray Milland, is it? That is one of my favorite 1940s movies and you might like that house too.

Once again today on Turner Classics, I am watching Leave Her to Heaven. Can’t wait till you feature the multiple homes in it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

LOVE the light fixtures in that kitchen. I remember the previews for that film…very scary!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Shopping Score ! of the Week =-.

Nancy@marcusdesign October 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

This is a stunning home, that kitchen is incredible!! And it’s in my province! {BC} It really is a gorgeous setting, inside and out. I haven’t seen this film yet, but now I’ll have to watch even just for the home :)
Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..house tour- leah baldersons condo =-.

Karena October 3, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Julia now I must see the movie!! fabulous house and setting!!

Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..Posting Pink and the French Basketeer Winner is =-.

Andrea October 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Fun to see a house in my own backyard (I live on Van Island, but grew up in Vancouver, and visited Bowen Island many a time). Gorgeous house, and trust me, Bowen Island is a vary suitable location for such a stunning home.
.-= Andrea´s last blog ..New or Used =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 3, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Haven’t seen that movie. Wow the house is beyond beautiful!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Garage door makeover =-.

le@thirdontheright October 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm

just IN LOVE in love in love in love with this place – it just works on soooo many levels – water, garden, rooms, view – just a delight – off to read more le
.-= le@thirdontheright´s last blog ..Blossom Boys =-.

Maya @ Completely Coastal October 4, 2010 at 12:41 am

I watched that movie -but never saw the end coming!! Strangely, I didn’t pay too much attention to the house, hmmmm.
.-= Maya @ Completely Coastal´s last blog ..Coastal Living Idea House 2010 in Seabrook WA =-.

Nancy Hood October 4, 2010 at 1:10 am

What a gorgeous home!! Loved that paneled study and the views! Happy October, girl!!
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Yummy!!! =-.

Ms. Pearl October 4, 2010 at 7:15 am

I don’t like scary movies, but I might have to rent this one just to see more of the house. It is breathtaking.
.-= Ms. Pearl´s last blog ..Macros and flickr =-.

Josanne October 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

I like the entire home-except for the tacky picture above the fireplace in the livingroom(and the dining table isn’t my taste)! What an absolutely gorgeous home! Just beautiful!
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..Fall Chocolate Centerpiece The Children Can Help Make! =-.

Paula October 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

When I saw this movie-I actually thought of you!!! Funny-I know!!! Have you seen the house in the movie:”When a Stranger Calls”- maybe you have!!! I think it’s absolutely stunning!
.-= Paula´s last blog ..desktop calendar =-.

hookedonhouses October 4, 2010 at 8:49 am

I haven’t seen “When a Stranger Calls”–didn’t know there was a good house in that one, too. Thanks! -Julia

Heidi@recklessbliss October 5, 2010 at 2:32 am

I actually featured this house on my blog and you’re right it’s amazing! Here’s the link if you’re interested:

Thanks!
Heidi@RecklessBliss
xoxo
.-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..-Snapshot Of The Week- =-.

Gerry October 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

Well, I’ve actually never even heard of this movie but I’m going to have to find it and watch it now! Beautiful home. The beams really remind me of the house that Kevin (Owen Wilson) lived in in Meet the Parents.

Janet Doherty October 4, 2010 at 8:58 am

If only …sigh….
That is a dream house to me…wow!

Pat October 4, 2010 at 9:01 am

I’ve never heard of this movie – just call me out of touch!
I must see it now, this house is calling my name. I’m always saying I want a house with a view, this one offers that a much more! It could be an advertisement for a window company!
I think I could become a hermit in this house.
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Sunday Scripture =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile October 4, 2010 at 9:36 am

I LOVE the family room with the arched woodwork and that gorgeous wood paneled office. Beautiful!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Semi-DIY- A Pottery Barn-like shelf for under 20 =-.

Nichole October 4, 2010 at 10:18 am

I couldn’t sit through the movie. Not even awesome houses can make me sit through a scary movie. :)
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..7 Quick Takes Friday Lessons In Non-Fundraising =-.

Lauren October 4, 2010 at 10:39 am

So, here in Vancouver, there’s a rule: any movie filmed in this city (and there are many) categorically sucks. I haven’t seen this one yet – fingers crossed it bucks the trend – but holy moly West Coast dream house!
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..Busy How to make a DIY schedule =-.

hip hip gin gin October 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

Amazing house!! I haven’t seen the movie because I am a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to horror and the previews freaked me out. But I just might brave it to see this house in action!
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Fireplace Pumpkins =-.

Kim October 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

What a gorgeous house. I love everthing about it- the property, the interior, exterior, and more. This is a dream home for me.

Alyssa October 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

I was wondering when or if you would notice this house i saw the movie and said to myself if I lived there i would never leave !!! =) Great movie !! I love spooky movies with great houses like as you know (What Lies Beneath) Thanks for putting this up !!=D

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses October 4, 2010 at 11:06 am

Scary movies usually freak me out, even when they feature cool houses (What Lies Beneath, as Alyssa mentioned, may have given me nightmares, haha). But I just might have to put my fears aside to watch this one. What a gorgeous property!
.-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Where’s the Wastebasket =-.

Angela October 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

Since I don’t do scary movies, I just HAD to look up the story line online….wowsers! I bet this is a great movie – although too scray for me!

~angela @ peonypatch

Daisy October 4, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Never saw the movie, but that house is stunning! 6.95 million dollars is a little bit out of my price range though!
.-= Daisy´s last blog ..Top 10 Movie Halloween Costumes for 2010 =-.

Christine October 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

This is such a great house! Love that bathroom! It was a pretty good movie and I wasn’t expecting the ending at all!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Im in love =-.

Lori-Anne October 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm

So the next time I have $6.95 million kicking around I know exactly what I’m going to buy with it!
.-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..Colour Me Autumn =-.

Lindab October 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Julia, you turned me on to Gilmore Girls and now I HAVE to see if I can rent this movie. You keep me intertained one way or the other.
By the way, love your new picture.

jan October 4, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I could fit half my house inside that kitchen. But I love the house. It may be big but it is tasteful.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy October 4, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Those wood beams are amazing!
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy´s last blog ..News Flash- Book Clutches =-.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip October 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Wow! What a beautiful home!!
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..True Love =-.

Lisa October 4, 2010 at 6:09 pm

wowzaaa..I love it! That kitchen is definately TDF!!

Lisa
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..A lil summer turned fall project =-.

Jamilyn October 4, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, I have noticed that too! Whenever I am watching a movie, I am always checking out the house they are in. I usually fall in love with it and have to find out where it is. I think your blog is great and satisfies my curiosity as to where these fabulous homes really are!
.-= Jamilyn´s last blog ..A Cozy Fall Day At My HouseLiving It &amp Loving It =-.

melissa @ the inspired room October 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I don’t think I saw that movie, now I MUST!! That is beautiful!
.-= melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..31 Days of Autumn Bliss Day 4- Bringing Cozy Back =-.

Cori Heffernan October 4, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I saw this movie. The end was great. It’s funny when I watched it, I thought to my self this a “Hooked on Houses” kind of movie. I now look at movies wondering if you will profile them!

mydesignchic October 5, 2010 at 12:08 am

Beautiful indeed…
.-= mydesignchic´s last blog ..Going Green… =-.

Billy October 5, 2010 at 1:06 am

Its only $6,79ok in US$, but couldn’t I get a whole island for that?

Have you ever watched the original versions of these movies? Not quite as scary when you have to read them. The house in “Ju-on: The Grudge”, remade in for the US with Sara Michele Geller, is interesting.

Heidi@recklessbliss October 5, 2010 at 2:28 am

Believe it or not, this house is actually about an hour away from where I live and weirdly enough I’ve seen this movie (and fell in love with the house) AND I have pictures of this real estate listing saved on my computer but I NEVER put it together that it’s the same house! I spent an entire evening looking at this real estate listing one night and informed my husband that if we won the lottery before that house sold then get ready to move because I’m in love. Haha that’s so funny!
Thanks Julia, great post!
Heidi@RecklessBliss
xoxo
.-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..-Snapshot Of The Week- =-.

Luciane October 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Hi,
This is also MY DREAM HOME! I did a post about this property another day.
It seems the owners really want it sold. According with their realtor, the house is “priced well below replacement cost and appraisal”. Wow!!!

You can see MANY pictures and more info about this dreamy place here:

PS: Thank you, Julia for ALWAYS posting really interesting houses! You’re super!

Luciane.

amanda October 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Yay, you did this one! I really like this movie, and I honestly think most of that is because I love the house so much. Are you going to do more with shots from the film? I really want pics of their great arched doors in the bed and bathrooms. And I love all the wallpapers in the house.

lucy October 7, 2010 at 7:16 pm

do you know I could have sworn I saw that room that is now the bathroom on a rerun of ‘Rain Man’ last night in a scene where Tom cruise and his love interest were sitting in renovation squaller…the opening scene showed a similar house…..could it be the one and same ???

Jen H. October 10, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I’m pretty sure this house was featured in Canadian House & Home a few years back. It’s beautiful.
.-= Jen H.´s last blog ..Mark your calendar =-.

Garry Ploughman October 15, 2010 at 7:02 am

You can only live in one room at a time.

Nita June 7, 2011 at 12:18 am

I have never heard of this movie! But, I don’t like that it has the same name as the 1940s The Uninvited. I thought it was a remake but doesn’t sound like it. Where could I get a copy of this and when was it in theatres?

{ 1 trackback }