Before & After: A White Kitchen Gets a Colorful Makeover

by hookedonhouses on April 29, 2010

LeAnn's Turquoise Kitchen Before

LeAnn’s white kitchen already had a lot going for it–subway tile, hardwood floors, and a farmhouse sink. But she loves color and wanted more of it in the room. She also needed a way to display more of her fun vintage finds. So she painted the lower cabinets turquoise and removed some of the doors from the upper cabinets.

Vintage Sassy kitchen after

LeAnn recommends Valspar kitchen and bathroom paint for painting cabinets: “It’s an enamel with a finish between a satin and a semi-gloss and it was one coat. Love, love, love this paint and the best part, a quart was only $13.00!”

Vintage Sassy kitchen after 2

When she spotted this old table in a friend’s garage (they were going to throw it out, if you can believe it), she brought it home with her:

Vintage Sassy kitchen after 3

Oh, and let’s not forget the striped Dash & Albert rug, which is a cheerful addition in front of her sink:

Vintage Sassy kitchen after 4

See the cap on that vintage water bottle (above)? She says that was the inspiration for her cabinet color.

Vintage Sassy kitchen after 6

Doesn’t this kitchen look like a happy place to cook in?

Vintage Sassy kitchen after 5

*2013 Update: Visit her new blog Mid Mod Farmhouse for an update on her kitchen and more details.

P.S. Visit my Before & After page for more makeovers, including…

DIY Staircase-Makeover-BEFORE

Jennifer’s DIY Staircase Makeover

lindsay April 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm

That is OH SO FUN! Definitely a “feel-good” kitchen.
.-= lindsay´s last blog ..They can do no wrong… =-.

Courtney @ Nesting Instincts April 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm

This kitchen really reflects her personality now! I appreciate her boldness in making it her own and not being afraid of color. I’m kind of digging the colorful curtain she’s got next to the door…it really pulls all the colors together (along with the rug).
.-= Courtney @ Nesting Instincts´s last blog ..I’m BAAAAACK!!! =-.

Julie Harward April 29, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I have an old drop leaf table the color of her newly painted cabinets…it sits proudly in my kitchen too. I love the new change here..much cheerier! Come say hi :D
.-= Julie Harward´s last blog .." GIVE- A- WAY "…and Is It Spring Yet? =-.

Cindy April 29, 2010 at 11:42 pm

She did a great job bringing in color and I love the orange, which really surprises me since I lived through the 70′s. Her choices are very refreshing colors.

Annie view on design April 29, 2010 at 11:52 pm

great freshin up! that’s all it takes sometimes, sometimes not tho!
.-= Annie view on design´s last blog ..St Kilda style by the beach =-.

Nancy@marcusdesign April 29, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Beautiful! I love the punch of color, it did wonders for the space, great job!!
Nancy

Amber April 30, 2010 at 12:02 am

I liked it before, but I like even more with the color! Never would have thought to do that–and I LOVE her table. How could anyone throw that away?!
.-= Amber´s last blog ..Letters from readers =-.

The Little Red Shop April 30, 2010 at 12:25 am

Cute! It must be so fun to shop for that kitchen!

: )

Julie M.
.-= The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..The Cowboy Scoop… =-.

Linda April 30, 2010 at 12:28 am

I want to paint my kitchen cabs. They are in good condidtion except very scratched up and seem to have a high gloss on some. Do you think she sanded first?

Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury April 30, 2010 at 1:30 am

So cute. I think I love this kind of little kitchen even more than a big, perfect somethingsgottagive kind of kitchen. If I were brave enough, I would paint the white island in my all white kitchen a color like that. Maybe one day when I’m reeeeallly tired of the white.
.-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..One Show House, Two Kitchens : Part 1 =-.

Kim April 30, 2010 at 3:13 am

This kitchen is cute.

Pink Pig April 30, 2010 at 5:31 am

I love the color choice and that darling primitive table ties the whole look together.
Nice Job!

Andrea April 30, 2010 at 6:17 am

Love it! I’m glad to see that pet food dishes are permanent fixtures in someone elses kitchen.

Robin April 30, 2010 at 6:17 am

Love the 2 toned cabinets. I have that in my cape house. Just spices it up alittle. You can beat a good bead board cabinet for a homey feel. Happy Birthday, Julia. Love the picture on the side walk :)
Robin
.-= Robin´s last blog ..The Yard at the Cape 2010 =-.

Emily@remodelingthislife April 30, 2010 at 6:18 am

oh my gosh, i am completely in love. i’ll have to see if hubs would like to totally makeover our kitchen this weekend ;)

Carol M April 30, 2010 at 6:50 am

It was a great kitchen before, but now it looks so cheerful. I would love to be in that kitchen. Love the colors.

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 30, 2010 at 7:01 am

Ooo–she did a great job. I couldn’t personally do the open shelving, but it looks fantastic in her space. I like the window treatments too. Such nice, uncluttered countertops. :)

Kim April 30, 2010 at 7:16 am

What a fun colorful kitchen. I love it.
.-= Kim´s last blog ..AND THE WINNER IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =-.

pattie and allie April 30, 2010 at 7:22 am

Absolutely love it! Those curtains are PERFECT!
xoxo Pattie
.-= pattie and allie´s last blog ..Our First Giveaway Part 2!! Foodie Friday Meatball Salad =-.

LOVE WHERE YOU LIVE April 30, 2010 at 7:41 am

How easy and doable is this?! I like what she’s done!! Of course, love the color….Thanks for showing it, -susan
.-= LOVE WHERE YOU LIVE´s last blog ..Church to Home =-.

Catherine April 30, 2010 at 7:41 am

I’d like to see the top cupboards painting to match the lower, and some color on the walls (perhaps a very light version of the cabinet color).
.-= Catherine´s last blog .. =-.

Sheila Jenkins April 30, 2010 at 7:51 am

It is amazing how such little changes can completely transform a space. Taking off the cabinet doors actually made the room look larger also.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints April 30, 2010 at 8:14 am

BEYOND cute!!!! I love her kitchen. It’s exactly what I like…pops of color, especially orange. She did a great job. Hopping over there to see her right now. Thanks for sharing:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Our first glimpse =-.

Deidra April 30, 2010 at 8:24 am

This kitchen reminds me of the one in my grandmother’s house in rural Virginia. I can smell the collard greens cooking on the stove! Love the color on the cabinets and that curtain is fabulous!
.-= Deidra´s last blog ..Free =-.

LeAnn April 30, 2010 at 8:26 am

Oh thank you Julia so much for featuring my little kitchen. It does make me extremely happy:) Someone asked if I sanded the cabinets, I lightly sanded them and then primed them before painting.
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..Creative juices….where art thou??? =-.

bungalowbliss April 30, 2010 at 8:52 am

What a fabulous kitchen! LOVE the punches of fun color–and that island is just perfect for the space. Nice job, LeAnn!

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen April 30, 2010 at 9:08 am

Sweet kitchen!
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..NEW ETSY SHOP…AND THIS TIME IT’S MINE! =-.

anna see April 30, 2010 at 9:09 am

Simply charming! I love the blue!
.-= anna see´s last blog ..Monday Can’t Come Soon Enough =-.

Janet April 30, 2010 at 9:12 am

Love how the curtains pull it all together. Very fun and funky vibe!
.-= Janet´s last blog ..CHEAP "ART" =-.

Anna April 30, 2010 at 9:19 am

LOVE! My kitchen walls are the color of the lower cabinets and I get so many compliments on it. Now I need to work on my cabinets (80′s laminate with wood trim – blech). I hope my kitchen turns out as beautifully =)
.-= Anna´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

Nienke at Revel April 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh I love when people are not afraid to repurpose something in order to create a home that suits them perfectly – especially when there is orange and turquoise involved ;)
.-= Nienke at Revel´s last blog ..3 times the fun with Udon Noodles =-.

middle sister April 30, 2010 at 9:38 am

I feel like I’m at a beach house. It makes cooking look fun and relaxing. Good job. If she ran her ideas through her friends I bet they would have tried to tone her down. It shows confidence and perseverience. I get so tired of beige on tan with accents of mocha.

hip hip gin gin April 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

Love it! And I love that table, what a lucky find. I can’t believe anyone would throw that treasure out!

Lauren April 30, 2010 at 10:20 am

The little table definitely steals the show. I can’t believe someone was going to throw that away!

Daisy Cottage April 30, 2010 at 10:31 am

What a wonderful feature on our friend, LeAnn’s fabulous kitchen! Her spirit shines in this redo and is reflected throughout her whole house – which I adore. Thank you Julia for sharing… you are awesome.

xo,
Kim
.-= Daisy Cottage´s last blog ..Weekend Fun & A Special Request =-.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip April 30, 2010 at 10:35 am

Great kitchen! It looks like a fun, happy place to be! =)
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..Spring Break Camping Trip =-.

Pat April 30, 2010 at 10:35 am

Perfection! I LOVE an all white kitchen, but what I love more is a kitchen with personality like this one. What a great job!
I have a table similar to the one she rescued. Mine is much longer, my mother called it a farm table. It sits in my garage, I have no where to put it, but I won’t get rid of it! I just know someday, somewhere that I’ll be able to use it!

Nichole April 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

I really love this and I’m going to check her blog. Thanks for including the paint recommendation in the post. Have a great weekend, Julia!
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Psychological Plant Problems =-.

Angela April 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

LOVE IT! I can’t believe someone would throw that table out! I need friends like that LOL!

~angela @ peonypatch
.-= Angela´s last blog ..More Pictures =-.

Angelo April 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I love what she did! It makes the whole space look like a fun place to hang out. She made something good into something great!
.-= Angelo´s last blog ..Tiny change, big difference. =-.

robin April 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm

that kitchen is adorable. it is totally a kitchen i would copy!
.-= robin´s last blog ..do you . . . =-.

Erin April 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Oh my GOSH, I LOVE this kitchen! It’s so incredibly cheerful! So much personality! You totally made my day with this post! :)
.-= Erin´s last blog ..Urban Gypsy Design =-.

Struggler April 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Beautiful! Huge impact from relatively few changes – such a wonderful color, too.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Fashion Damage Control =-.

Susan April 30, 2010 at 3:55 pm

What a fun kitchen!
Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo
.-= Susan´s last blog ..What Happened to Spring??? =-.

charm home April 30, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I love that they chose turquoise. It’s so bright and fun. What I really want to see is more of those drapes. I can’t quite make out the pattern but it looks lovely. -Cristi
.-= charm home´s last blog ..quick question =-.

angela | the painted house April 30, 2010 at 8:32 pm

This goes to show that a few small changes can make such a HUGE impact. Hooray for turquoise cabinets! And you know what else I love about this kitchen? It matches your blog, Julia. :) Thanks for sharing–it is so fun and cheerful.
.-= angela | the painted house´s last blog ..Pop Quiz! =-.

Minnie May 1, 2010 at 12:40 am

Yaay! What a fun use of color. I love this vibrant combination, just what a kitchen needs, in my opinion, since that’s where most of us tend to spend most of our time, both working and playing.
.-= Minnie´s last blog ..Vera, a style maven ahead of her time =-.

Bonnie Morscher May 1, 2010 at 7:15 am

From non-descript to lived-in vintage. Great job. It looks like this kitchen has been this way forever and I love it. It just looks so real and functional and beautiful. It didn’t hurt that she used that lovely shade of blue.

Alva May 1, 2010 at 8:01 am

Cuteness!!!

The Girl May 1, 2010 at 6:43 pm

So adorable. And the way the colors are used is really amazing. I looked at the white version and thought, “why would you re-do anything, just add some splashes here and there!”… and then… TA-DA. Wow – what a fun kitchen to cook and entertain in/from!
.-= The Girl´s last blog ..Meet Max =-.

Josanne May 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm

This kitchen speaks a little retro to me! Yes, fun is a word I would also use for the room!
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..Simon, Once Again! =-.

JEN RAMOS May 2, 2010 at 1:30 am

Hmmm I’m not so crazy about this look…maybe because I love an all white Kitchen! :)))
.-= JEN RAMOS´s last blog ..Sharing a Penthouse with a Sibling…. (D Magazine) =-.

Allison May 2, 2010 at 8:11 pm

What an adorable kitchen! It’s so happy looking. Cute, cute, cute. Thanks for sharing.
Dropping by from BNOTP.

Allison
Atticmag
.-= Allison´s last blog ..Picture Wall Possibilities =-.

Susan May 2, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Julia-I have always wanted a white kitchen to work around with color! Love the turqouise. The rug and the mixer were meant for each other! Thanks for sharing this!
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Quick, Cheap, and Cute for Mother’s Day =-.

Sherry May 2, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Very nice! Love that color. It looks fantastic with the bright colors on the vintage glassware. The rug works perfect and the table is awesome. Great redo.
.-= Sherry´s last blog ..Mother’s Day Centerpiece =-.

Sue @Rue Mouffetard May 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

This kitchen looks wonderful. So much better then all white. It now has some real personality…and that table…what a great find…
.-= Sue @Rue Mouffetard´s last blog ..SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE FLEA……….. =-.

Shirley Corwin May 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Love this little kitch redo. First I really like open shelving and that little old table is GREAT!!! The color of the lower cabinets is really nice. Martha S. used that color a lot in one of her houses.
.-= Shirley Corwin´s last blog ..little dog =-.

cassie May 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm

i LOVE it! i love the color on the base cabinets- it really gives the room new life.
.-= cassie´s last blog ..Little Boy Blue =-.

Connie May 2, 2010 at 11:57 pm

What a difference some color makes. I love the cupboard doors removed on the top cabinets to show off the colord dishes and glasses…great touch.

Lisa May 3, 2010 at 8:23 am

You’re right it had a lot going for it to begin with but she added warmth and charm. I like it better with that touch of colour. It’s a very homey and inviting kitchen indeed!
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..Contest Answer: What in the world has this cabinet become ?? =-.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points May 3, 2010 at 10:33 am

Really like your color choices, and am laughing because a KitchenAid stand mixer featured heavily in my own link to the party today.

Excellent post!
.-= Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points´s last blog ..But is it Art? =-.

Pamela May 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Such a great idea – I love that you picked the turquoise color! That made everything just pop. I also like the idea of taking the doors off of some cabinets. It adds so much color to the room!

Hamtonitegal May 3, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Love it and very reto look. I like the appliances you have. It looks like Shabby Chic, like which I said, a house shouldn’t look so precious so as to not feel that you can kick your heels off and feel great. Looks cozy, wonderful and breezy. Love it!!

Donene Jones May 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm

What a great look! I love the color1

Joselyn May 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Love this! Turquoise is my new favorite color. Great inspiration for my future kitchen update.
.-= Joselyn´s last blog ..Drawer Dilemma =-.

Missy May 4, 2010 at 9:38 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I would say that you sprinkled a lil’bit of Rachel Ray style in that white kitchen! I soooo want to do colors like this, but don’t know if I’m brave enough! But you pulled it off in just the right amounts! Awesome!
.-= Missy´s last blog ..For the love of all things louvered and weathered! =-.

laura May 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Oh so tempting to call someone out to spray my bottom cabinets a fun color.

inspirational. Great job!
.-= laura´s last blog ..Decorating with Shutters =-.

sarah h May 4, 2010 at 3:53 pm

holy. crap.
no, really. holy crap. STUNNING and fun and colorful and fantastic makeover.
love this.
.-= sarah h´s last blog ..The 34792th Time’s a Charm…. ??? =-.

Marsha @ The Retro Kitchen May 28, 2010 at 11:02 am

It’s absolutely amazing what a little paint will do. And then you pulled it all together with the accessories; the orange in the throw rug, the draperies and the stand mixer… it’s all in the details. BRAVO!

Naomi December 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

Just lovely! I’m using this as inspiration for painting my 1959 kitchen.

Heidi Stefanc January 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

Where did you find the window treatments???? I LOVE them!!!!

Ruth January 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm

That is adorable!

Holly Austin January 29, 2011 at 11:36 am

First time I’ve seen this makeover, and I have to say I LOVE IT!!! It’s so cheerfull looking, makes me want spring to come even sooner now!

Heather Schneider September 29, 2012 at 1:14 pm

What is the color name?? I have been hunting for this color for awhile!! Love love love this kitchen!!!

Also, how much of a task was painting your cabinets? I want to give this a try but nervous to get started!!

Thanks!!

hookedonhouses September 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Heather–I doubt she’ll see this comment since it’s been a couple of years. Head over to her blog and see if she mentions the paint color there. If not, I’d ask her! :-)

NurseJulie October 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Do you have the link to her blog?

hookedonhouses October 8, 2012 at 6:43 am

It’s the Vintage Sassy blog I link to at the end of the post (http://leannhuntington.blogspot.com). However, when I tried it today, it had been hacked by another site and was not safe to visit. Not sure what’s going on. I hope her blog is back soon!

{ 2 trackbacks }