A “Bewitched” House: 1164 Morning Glory Circle

Bewitched TV show house on 1164 morning glory circle

Would you believe that until I started researching the house from the classic 1960s sitcom “Bewitched,” I had never seen a full episode of the show? My parents didn’t let us watch anything with witches or ghosts, so the show was banned in our house. (Don’t tell them that I went back and watched several seasons of it for this post! Ha.)

Bewitched TV sitcom house pilot episode

In the first season we got to see Darrin (Dick York) and Samantha (Elizabeth Montgomery) go house hunting. When Samantha and her mother Endora first visit the house at the beginning of Season One, it has just been built, and there isn’t a blade of grass in the yard:

Samantha fixes the place up with a quick twitch of her nose:

Bewitched TV sitcom house exterior after Samantha moves in

Oh, if only home improvement could be that easy! Samantha and Endora took turns trying different looks for the house and arguing about which was the best version.

When they step into the house for the first time, this is what it looks like:

Samantha and Endora explore new house on Bewitched pilot episode

You can see the backyard in this shot through the glass doors:

Endora and Samantha in new living room on Bewitched

They fall in love with the place and buy it. Here’s how it looks after they move in:

Samantha at the front door of her house on Bewitched TV sitcom

What’s that penguin doing in there? I suspect some magic was involved… 😉

Bewitched TV house staircase season one

These episodes were originally in black and white but were later colorized. The tell-tale sign of colorization is when a character opens their mouth and their teeth look gray.

Bewitched TV sitcom sets living room season one

Darrin and Samantha in the living room on Bewitched

The interiors were all created on soundstages at Sunset Gower Studios.

Bewitched TV sitcom house sets dining room

According to 1164.com, a website for “Bewitched” fans:

The interior and backyard scenes, as well as some garage and front porch scenes, were all filmed in a soundstage.  The set consisted of a modular (but complete) first floor and back yard.  It also contained the hallway visible above the steps (though those doors at the top only led to tiny closets!).

Bewitched TV show kitchen Avocado fridge

Samantha in the kitchen on Bewitched

Samantha in the kitchen on TV show Bewitched

Samantha at the kitchen sink in Bewitched

Darrin and Samantha in the kitchen on Bewitched TV show

Bewitched kitchen set

Samantha's 1960s kitchen with avocado refrigerator on Bewitched

Samantha cooking on her retro range on the TV show "Bewitched"

The laundry area at the back of the kitchen (with the avocado appliances!) was pretty modern for 1964:

Bewitched TV show laundry room off kitchen avocado appliances

All of the upstairs shots were filmed on another set, often just a few rooms that were frequently changed around.

Darrin and Samantha's bedroom on Bewitched

Check out the massive lamps on either side of their bed and the cushion that goes across the head of it. I wonder where they stashed their sleeping pillows during the day?

Samantha's bedroom on Bewitched TV show

“Bewitched” was on the air for 8 years. In Season 2, Samantha and Darrin had a baby girl named Tabitha (whose name was spelled Tabatha for the first few seasons and then changed later on).

Tabitha's nursery on Bewitched

The den set on the first floor doubled as the nursery set for Tabitha. According to 1164.com:

For nursery scenes, they just put a fake wall up outside the door to hide the view into the kitchen. For den scenes, they put brown paneling up over the pink walls, covering the nursery window area with the plain wall near the den’s fireplace.

Tabitha's nursery on the TV show "Bewitched"

When Darrin gets home from work, we get a look at the garage and driveway:

Darrin in the driveway of the Bewitched house

The pilot for “Bewitched” was supposed to begin filming on November 22, 1963, but was postponed because of Kennedy’s assassination. The first episode aired in 1964.

opening credits of the TV show "Bewitched"

The house was built on the back lot of the Warner Bros. Ranch (on West Oak Street in Burbank, California). It sits alongside other famous facades used for classic shows like “The Partridge Family” and “I Dream of Jeannie.”

Bewitched TV show house season 2 exterior

Here’s a more recent photo of it taken on the back lot:

Bewitched TV sitcom house backlot today

Did you know the Christmas Vacation movie was filmed in this neighborhood? “The Middle” is currently taping here, too, and there are frequent “Bewitched” house sightings in the Heck family’s neighborhood if you watch for it. :)

Julia signature 1

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Bewitched movie Samantha's house

Samantha’s cottage from the Bewitched movie

My favorite reality shows are the ones that feature talented people doing what they're best at, and Flipping Out fits the bill. It's fun to…
Bewitched movie Isabel's house Nicole Kidman
Last week we took a look at Samantha's house on the classic 1960s sitcom Bewitched, so I thought it would be fun to feature the…

I love that house : ) How fun! I would die of happiness if appliances went back to being sea foam and lime green again : ) I just love those colors. This was such a great post. I didn’t watch the show too much but this made me want to see season one right away!
    .-= Life with Kaishon´s last blog ..The Great Gilly Hopkins =-.

I’m excited you are doing the houses in the Bewitched movie. Oh, her little cottage was to die for!

I love the old stove and oven in this post, I don’t remember seeing anything quite like it.
    .-= Songbirdtiff´s last blog ..Another Adoption update.. =-.

3. Jan says

I remember that first decorating episode so well — Samantha and Endora each tried different looks for the living room and dining room! And I also noticed how often that the decor by the front door changed as the years went by …. it would be fascinating to see the progression! LOL! LOVE the stove in the kitchen! Loved the TV show so much! Another classic movie house(s) :”I Married A Witch” with Veronica Lake! And .. of course … “Practical Magic”!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Oh, what a wonderful post! I loved Bewitched and that house is awesome. The outside is rather timeless looking, don’t you think? I love the photo of Samantha and Endora entering the home with those gloves on! :) I used to dream I could live in that house many years ago! Thanks for these movie home tours! I love it!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉
    .-= Shelia´s last blog ..So Much To Share! =-.

5. Kathy :) says

Loved that show….didn’t know about that first episode….that must have driven the neighbor crazy LOL

Wow a blast from the past !!! Thanks for the fond memory :)

Did your Mum give you a reason why you couldn’t watch that show ??? I remember being really quiet when I wanted to stay up and watch a show…..I remember a show called Peyton Place that we were too little to watch…with Mia Farrow, drove me crazy, all my relatives would whisper about it. Funny the things we remember !!!

Kathy :).

6. Anne says

Bewitched was my favorite shop growing up. I watched just to see her house. The front door in her house is the same as mine. I call it my bewitched door. Remember, she redecorated the house for the last few years. Thanks Anne

7. hookedonhouses says

Aunt Amelia’s right. My parents didn’t want us to watch anything with witches or ghosts or anything even remotely “supernatural” in it. We weren’t allowed to go trick-or-treating or celebrate Halloween when I was little, either.

They’ve lightened up a lot over the years, though, and now we can laugh about how shows like “Casper the Friendly Ghost” were forbidden! -Julia :-)

8. hookedonhouses says

I’ve only seen the first two seasons, so I didn’t know the house was redecorated later on. I’ll have to rent some of the later seasons to see! -Julia

9. mina says

That was my favorite show as a little girl. And I’m pretty guilty of watching it now too when the reruns are on. Oh the memories. Sounds like you’ve got some fun houses lined up this month. Thanks for the memories, Julia.

11. J says

I love your site. Thanks for all the great info. What about featuring the house from the TV show “Family”?

Oh how I loved that show when I was a little girl. It was on in syndication in the early 70’s. My mother was a teacher and she would go to her room to lay down every day when Bewitched came on and I was to wake her when it went off. That house is a total childhood flashback for me.
    .-= kyslp´s last blog ..Sunday Stealing The Starrlight Meme* =-.

• Lifterguy says

The stove was a Frigidaire “Flair” – note the pull out cooktop and the glass oven doors that opened upwards. Frigidaire also offered a Flair wall oven with similar glass door. The product line was not a huge seller, but I do remember one of my aunts had a Flair range similar to the one on Bewitched in her kitchen. We thought it was very modern!

Oh, lovely! I was going to say that I loved the set on Bewitched the movie and I see you have it in the line-up. I loved Bewitched when I was growing up, maybe because my birthday is on Halloween and I was waiting for my powers to appear! I loved the movie, as well, and even have the Bewitched ringtone on my cell.

14. Paula says

Thanks for a great post! I grew up watching Bewitched reruns – I always wanted to live in home that had a staircase… I also loved the Brady Bunch home!

15. HopeB says

I love the houses in the Bewitched remake (2005?) with Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell–the white cottage Kidman’s character moves into is perfect inside and out–my dream house!

I did watch some re-runs, and always liked this show. Good to see the old house pics, I had forgotten about it!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..great candles =-.

I put a link to your page on my blog…in fact I featured it as my “Friday Fave”!
    I must have grown up in the house next to yours, because shows featuring the “supernatural” were also a no no in my house. Though we’ve lighened up, I still respect and understand the concern today.
    Now…the Bewitched house…love it! I always wanted a staircase like this one, I thought it was so unique. I keep wanting to do that to my staircase, but I dont have enough room!
    .-= Pat´s last blog .. =-.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Julia for this wonderful post!! You did such a fabulously detailed job! At first I couldn’t believe that you had never seen the show then I remembered how my mom “broke the rules” and let us watch Bewitched and Casper the Friendly Ghost despite what our church deemed appropriate. :) Anyhow…which was your favorite room? I really love Tabitha’s nursery (I found a mobile very similar to this one for my youngest daughter on ebay!) and Samantha’s kitchen sure is neat. The exterior of the home is lovely and Sam’s nightgowns really add a fun retro touch to the whole scene. I will have to tour Warner Bros one of these days. I would LOVE to see Gidget’s house! :) I am looking forward to your next Movie Mondays! Thanks again, Christy
    .-= Christy´s last blog ..Welcome Autumn… =-.

Would love to see the houses from Psycho, the Munsters, the Haunting, the Exorcist, just afew for starters!! Happy Halloween!!
    .-= Bomberryr´s last blog ..Baby Blues =-.

i remember when JKF died – I was the 4th grade and his funeral interrupted my birthday party – 11/20/54 (birthdate) – such memories. The principal came in our class room to tell us – all the teachers were sobbing. The kids – we knew we should be upset, but we really didn’t understand the magnitude of it. I guess I had just turned 9.
    So Bewitched was my era. It’s funny to see it in color like that – it was originally in black and white, wasnt it? I thought it was – maybe I’m wrong about that though. Mrs. kravitz – she cracks me up still. I still refer to my nosey neighbor as Gladys or Mrs. Kravitz and everyone my age knows what I mean. Poor Gladys – Samantha drove her crazy. And think of all the girls named Samantha today! All because of the show. Tabitha was never as popular a name as Sam though.

What a wonderful flashback – as you can surmise, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you!!! I’m sure it this took a lot of hard work.

.-= joni webb´s last blog ..A Hard Days Night in the Country =-.

Great house, and what a snazzy kitchen for those days – love the fridge!! The outside of the house is gorgeous, I’d love to live in a house like that! The only thing I’d have to change immediately on the inside were it a real house and if it was still there would be the green carpet…. I had green carpet in a flat when I was going through uni…… geez I hated that carpet! Great post Julia!
    .-= Linda aka Heartfire At Home´s last blog ..Etsy Showcase Seller For October – An Interview With Jodie From Ric Rac! =-.

22. Nita H says

I well remember this show and always loved Sam’s house. Besides my mom’s influence on my interest in interior design, it was this show and That Girl with Marlo Thomas that really spiked my interest. I would also LOVE to see That Girl’s cute apartment!

I do remember a floral or plaid couch, I think floral, when Sam redecorated. The green carpet was the thing then, and my mom decorated in that olive green and pink. Those were her favorite colors in decorating for awhile.

I watched this in syndication in the late 70’s and loved every second of it. I used to stand in front of a mirror for HOURS trying to twitch my nose. I have to admit I didn’t pay all that much attention to the interiors when I was little, but I love seeing them now. Actually, I do remember loving the way she changed them with a wave of her hand and a twitch of the nose. If only! That stove is awesome! I can’t believe it didn’t catch on.
    The gloves, dresses and night gown in the photos are killing me!
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Coupons=spending more? =-.

I adored Samantha and wanted to BE her (If I couldn’t be Laura Petrie on the Dick Van Dyke Show) :) Poor Gladys Kravitz and her husband! Thanks for a blast from the past. I wouldn’t miss spending a Monday with you!
    .-= susan´s last blog ..Why Haven’t I Heard From You? =-.

25. Melanie says

Love the stove, too bad they didn’t catch on. Imagine NOT bending over to get the pizza out of the oven. *dream*

• linda says

Melanie… I bought a house 3 years ago and it had this EXACT stove in it. At first I thought it was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, but now I just LOVE it! It is so unique & so nice when baking you can see right in there… we are moving now and I hate that I have to leave it behind…it’s probably at least 60 years old but EVERYTHING on it still works!

26. Kellye says

Who knew that Samantha owned Fiestaware?? Growing up, Bewitched was my favorite show and was in syndication. I’ve read a ton about the show & its stars because I still love it.

The first couple of seasons were in black & white, so these pictures have been colorized. The Danish modern furniture reminds me of my first house (which I vaguely remember, but of which I have tons of pictures–as I was 5 when we moved). The kitchen appliances changed over the years with the other decorating. My favorite was that they put up a copy of Rembrandt’s “Girl with a Broom” by the front door.

Here’s a great link if any of your are interested in cool trivia, etc. http://www.bewitched.net/

Love the exterior of that house. :) When I was little, they used to show the “oldies” like Bewitched and I Love Lucy in the mornings. I remember watching while I ate my breakfast. :)

It was fun looking at all the little accessories…did you see the car seat in Tabitha’s room? I also kind of liked the built-in shelves in the fireplace surround. :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Verbal Sunshine =-.

My family had the exact same stove when I was growing up! It lasted forever and we were so sad when it finally died! The stove top was stored in the unit itself and you pulled it out to use it. As you can see in the picture, the oven doors opened by pulling them straight up. All my friends would come to my house and comment on how cool our stove was. Thank you; I enjoyed the article!

Thanks Julia! That is like a trip down Memory Lane. Can’t wait to see what you find on the Bewitched movie house and the Practical Magic house, too. Love those!
    .-= Joanie at The Bright Side´s last blog ..fall foyer =-.

30. Janet says

Love the post! I think all young girls of that era tried to get our noses to twitch! If only……….. I loved the kitchen pics. My grandmother actually had that stove, but her oven doors opened with a side hinge. I always thought it was neat how the burners could tuck back in! Never knew Gram had a cutting edge stove top!

31. Liz says

I’m trying to remember how the house was decorated when it very first started and the episodes were in black & white. I don’t think there were many of them, and I can’t remember if it was modern like the penguin shots here or if that’s when it was more Early American.

My mother is still living the avocado appliance dream and she’s quite pleased with herself that she’s hung on to that fridge for 42 years because now it seems cool again instead of just sad (as it was for the bulk of my life). It does, however, sound like an asthmatic hoot owl now, so we’re not sure how much longer she’ll have it.

32. Sharron says

Bewitched was one of my favorite shows, and I use to think I wanted a house just like that when I grew up! Thanks for the post!

33. Melanie says

FYI – Warning! I clicked on the bewitched.net link above, and immediately got a trojan virus.

34. Brian Berry aka baltimoretool says

Thank you for sharing the photos of Samantha’s house! Bewitched, I Dream of Genie, Gilligan’s Island, and the Munsters were my childhood staples. To this day, Samantha and Darren’s house is an archetype of domesticity in my memory. Somehow I always imagined the front yard was much, much larger!

35. Rick says

Loved the trip down memory lane… or Morning Glory circle. The Warner Bros. lot is still used often. Pushing Daiseys was filmed there, as well as 2 1/2 men. There is also a Bryant air conditioner, as well as a Fruit of the Loom Christmas commercial that used the Bewitched house. The opening credits for Friends was done around the fountain in front of their “Boston” row houses right around the corner. The Walton house and church were just west of Bewithced House.
    I found several sites that went so far as to identify makes and models of appliances and furniture used on set of Bewitched. Yes I’m addicted.

If you type in the address of 411 N Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505-3440 (Warner Bros. lot ) into Bing map search you can see sattelite views .

36. hookedonhouses says

Thanks for letting me know. I removed it. I’m surprised it caused a problem because it was okay when I found it last week (I have McAfee Site Advisor scan everything). Did anyone else have any problems with it? I apologize if you did! -Julia

What a fun site that. Thanks for the memories!

Looking back on it, she sure was one gorgeous witch!

38. Ellycat says

I loved that show – and watching it again recently I realised just how cool my mother was with her decorating. We had the same colours and even the same sofa!

I stopped by your blog to verify that you were still hosting your Wed. “theme day”.

In case you aren’t sure why I would do that, please first go here: http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911712/today–/

and then read this one:

I see that you still are, so I shall leave yours on the lists 😀

Cheryl B.

p.s. – My parents didn’t get a TV until after I got married in the spring of 1980. My fiance had brought over his little one so that I could watch “The Sound of Music” after my tonsilectame(?), and left it for quite awhile. Usually when I’d get home from work around 10:30 p.m., they’d be watching something and not allow me to change the channel ….
    My parents were also extremely strict about what we were allowed to watch elsewhere – and Bewitched was most definetly on the taboo list!!! But I agreee with you, I love to imagine that I could just twinkle my nose and clean up a mess (or turn certain personality types temporarily into something o;-p)
    .-= Cheryl B.´s last blog ..reuseable "free" pails (NOT ice cream buckets!) =-.

40. Norma says

Hi Julia, thanks for doing this, I used to love watching the show,all of the pictures that you posted brought back soo many memories of me sitting in the living room and enjoying all of these wonderful shows.

41. Elisa says

Wow, that brought back so many pleasant memories for me. Seeing Samantha as a happy homemaker in a cute little house where she obviously loved her husband and family and everything was clean and lovely… I always tell my seven year old if I could choose my super power it would be transporting myself with a snap to anywhere in the world I wanted to be – just like Samantha (or Jeannie in I Dream of Jeannie). Thanks for letting me get lost in nostalgia for a while, and thanks for all of your hard work.

42. Ellen says

How fun to see my kitchen stove in Samantha’s kitchen! (My house was built in 1969.) I had to have a burner replaced a year ago but everything still works great. By the way, I still use Fiesta ware, and my laundry room is right off the kitchen. Now, if I could just tweak my nose to get someone to feed the dust bunnies …

I was thinking the show was in black and white…or that might have been that we had a black and white tv growing up. It’s nice to see the clear color photos. I love the decor, although how was that couch ever comfortable? The appliances rock though!
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..1853 Victorian, Eufaula, AL =-.

44. hookedonhouses says

You’re right. It was originally black and white and the episodes have since been colorized. -Julia

The first house I owned had that stove! It was pretty wonderful but when the burners started going, noone knew how to fix them. :( I eventually got rid of it but looking at these pics sure makes me want it back! How fun. I never missed this show when I was a kid. :)
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..New Shop and Some Spiritual Ramblings =-.

46. Mel says

Wow, my parents still have that stove! It needs to be reconditioned but it still works just fine. I never knew it was famous or cutting edge. Now I may have to work on fixing it up, my parents will thank you 😉

47. Lindsay says

Bewitched, Halloween, trick-or-treating… all banned in my house growing up too!! I guess can see how my mom was trying to “protect” us and all… but now I have a bit of an obsession for costume parties and Harry Potter. go figure! :)

This site is great. I see this is a recent post. Do you if the have tours that go through this lot still, or can you go on uninvited. Great work.

Thanks and have a good weekend

49. hookedonhouses says

Sorry, but I don’t know anything about the lot tours. I’d love to take one myself! -Julia

50. Mustang Sally says

Wow, what a great site! I don’t suppose you could get your hands on photos of the Munster’s haunted house on Mockingbird Lane? That was my all-time favorite TV house. My next favorite house was Lucy and Ricky Ricardo’s house in the country.

Hello, my name is Perfecto Rodriguez II I always loved Bewitch. The only thing that I “now”
    see as a me being an actual practicing Witch is, Elizabeth (Samantha) Montgomery never wore
    any jewelry like we as Witches wore niether did her mother Endora. Now, I find it kind of odd.
    You never saw any crystals nor any special stones or symbols. We as Witches works with these things as well as candles. In a true sense, the snappping of the finger, the twitching of the nose really mean in people’s eyes, ” If I could do those things , things would simply change
    or go away. I liked the show though. I just hate all of these idiotic acters,actresses as worse,
    the writers doing remakes shows. These idiots need to can it! They need to leave these show as they were originally made. I thought that these were real houss in real neighborhoods.
    Now Elizabeth Montgomery, this is what I would call a very lovely blonde and classy, not like these trashy ones that in the entertainment industry. YUCKKK!

52. C. Holland says

I believe that the 1971 TV movie “Brian’s Song” about football players Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayes had some scenes with these “Bewitched” sets: The den, kitchen and a basement off the kitchen area in the movie that looked very convincing also. Perhaps more rooms, but it has been awhile since I saw it, and I know some of the scenes are definitely near the last part of the movie. Don’t recall the first part of the movie! Another TV movie about the players was shot in 2001 and I’ve never seen it.

53. tammie casteel says

I need to know what knid of oven or stove did beweitched used. i would love to get one for my mom who is in her 70 she has a bad back

Another way to spot colorized films: anything that was intended to be white in was just left alone and ended up gray. If you notice, the brick wall behind Darren and Samantha is obviously still ‘black-and-white’…including everything inside the cubbies, and the plant in the color vase.

I like the neighbors’ arbor, but their garage roof sure needs work!

Notice in the final shot of the facade that you can see the tree behind the house…through the upstairs window!
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Woman’s Best Friend =-.

55. hookedonhouses says

Great point about the tree being visible through the upstairs window! I hadn’t even noticed that. -Julia

56. Stuart says

I remember a staircase, maybe spiral, in the kitchen at some point. Am I right?
    Thanks for the pages, great!

• hookedonhouses says

I never saw a spiral staircase, but I haven’t seen all of the seasons of the show. Does anyone else remember one? -Julia

• hookedonhouses says

Interesting! I only watched the first couple of seasons. Since that clip is from Season 8, I didn’t know that the kitchen set was totally different later in the show’s run. Thanks! -Julia

57. Stuart says

Didn’t Tim Taylor blow that house up on “Home Improvement”?

I was about nine or ten when Bewitched was on and I thought that Samantha’s house was just a mansion!!lol…we lived in an old farm house. I also loved the Cleavers house on Leave it to Beaver. No one I knew lived in houses like that.lol..
    .-= Arlene @At Home with the Grimms´s last blog ..My To Do List =-.

59. Tara Becker says

Wow, this was my favorite show as a kid and I watched it in the same house I’m reinventing as my own today. My husband and I are living in the house I grew up in. My kids are the 5th generation on my father’s side to live in this house. I just found your site and LOVE it! I noticed a Windsor chair behind the “davenport” in one of the living room shots. I’m hooked on Windsor chairs as well. Doesn’t it make you wonder sometimes how much of what we love all goes back to the first 10 years or so of life?

60. Tracy says

Loved Bewitched…..I wanted Samantha’s life and that house! I also adored I Dream of Jeannie. I remember once in an early show, Dr. and Mrs. Bellows took Jeannie home with them, because they found her in Tony Nelson’s house and thought he was “enslaving” her or had her brainwashed or something. Tony and Roger had to break in to rescue her. The Bellows’ house in that episode I could have sworn looked exactly like the Stevens’ house on Bewitched! Since they were filmed at the same time on the same lot……couldn’t be a coincidence??

I love Bewitched (and the newer Bewitched movie with Nicole Kidman…that house is wonderful as well) and still love that house. I used to to think that open staircase was so fancy!!! It is funny because maybe this had more influence on me than I realized, we just bought a house built in 1965!
    .-= Bella Michelle´s last blog ..GiveAway time is coming! =-.

62. Nita says

I loved the show and house then, and I still love it. They redecorated the living room and dining a couple times. I remember floral couches and Samantha changed her hair and clothes, much more hippy looking, toward the end of the show. Any way to get any of those photos?

63. Nita says

Been meaning to suggest That Girl, Marlo Thomas’s apartment. I was always trying to see into her kitchen! They have DVDs out of it now. Once again, it changed design over the years, I believe.

As a huge “Bewitched” fan, thanks for the wonderful post!

In case anyone’s wondering, the first two seasons (1964-1966) were filmed in black and white, then colorized in the 2000s. The last six seasons (1966-1972) were filmed in real color. In 1970, there was a fire on the set, so the cast and crew went to film episodes in Salem while it was being remodeled. That’s why it looks so different the last two seasons (shag carpet, harvest gold, brown, baby blue, new kitchen stairs leading nowhere… of course Endora insults the redecoration. Bwah hah!)

Interesting trivia: Elizabeth Montgomery and husband William Asher were friends of the Kennedys. Asher even produced JFK’s birthday party in which Marilyn Monroe (in)famously sang “Happy Birthday.” They were crushed by the news of the assassination, but decided to go on with the rehearsal for the pilot anyway since it was what “he would do” (according to Asher). Later, Montgomery would campaign for Robert Kennedy’s ill-fated 1968 bid.

I’m curious as to when the people who said “Bewitched” was verboten in their houses grew up. Obviously it was very popular in the 1960s (#2 nationwide), so plenty of people then watched it anyway. Was the banning of all witchcraft-related things (no matter how innocent) a slightly more modern phenomenon? Post-1970s? And if so, I wonder why?
    .-= arfies´s last blog ..Theater =-.

65. Jan G says

I too, am a big Bewitched fan, having grown up with it . (I’m 55). I always thought the house was absolutely gorgeous. It has been used fairly recently in a Fruit of the Loom Christmas ad (2007, I believe). I saw it the other day, and told my husband that that was the house in Bewitched. Thank you so much for the tour. Someday if I’m lucky enough to win the lottery, I’m going to have a home built just like it, since I own 2 acres of land in rural Northern Arizona. I think that would be awesome.

66. Jan G says

No problem!! I think a house like this would put my little community more on the map, and be kind of a tourist attraction. I live in Cordes Lakes (Mayer), AZ. I would also put a huge in-ground pool in the backyard, and the house would be solar pwered, as my current home is.

67. linda says

I was so excited to see Bewitched’s kitchen! I have that exact stove/oven in my house! Someone told me it was just like Bewitched and it is! It is a jewel and everything on it still works!

• sheri nelson says

OMG I am so excited to see your post because I have an older version of that stove and only 1 side of it works. The side that does not work has a rotisserie in it and it turns when on but the element doesn’t work. Do you know of any place to get parts?

I thought I remember that the early shows were indeed in black & white. This was my favourite program. Who wouldn’t want to have so much secret power? Very heady stuff for me in my childhood.

Bewitched was officially banned in our house too, but my sister and I managed to sneak and watch it. Even at my young age, I distinctly remember being a bit upset that a new Darrin, and a new kitchen with a second stairway, suddenly appeared with no explanation. I loved when Elizabeth got to play cousin Serena, letting go of her proper housewife persona and getting all mod and groovy.

70. Saniya says

Great post! I just loved it. It was so much fun to know more about the Bewitched House,its sooooooo fascinating & bewitching…..really too gud, great house.