“Nights in Rodanthe:” A Romantic Inn on the Beach

"Nights in Rodanthe" Serendipity Inn | hookedonhouses.netNights in Rodanthe is a movie based on the bestselling novel by Nicholas Sparks that reunited Unfaithful costars Richard Gere and Diane Lane. Lane played Adrienne, a woman who has a lot to think about after her wayward husband asks if he can come back home.

She agrees to take care of her friend’s inn on the beach in North Carolina’s Outer Banks for a weekend, hoping to sort things out while she’s away, and only has one visitor–Dr. Paul Flanner (Gere), who has troubles of his own.

There’s a storm, and some soul-searching, and a romance that quickly heats up between the two and changes them both. I should warn you, though, that the movie is kind of sad! I didn’t expect that. Just be sure to have a box of tissues handy.

The shutters and decks were all added by the film crew.

Adrienne unpacks in her friend Jean’s bedroom. Jean (Viola Davis) is the innkeeper and has asked Adrienne to take care of things while she’s away.

Adrienne shows Paul to “the blue room,” where he will be staying:

This later scene gives us a better view of the bed and the blue wallpaper:

The bathroom next to the blue room:

Adrienne serves Paul dinner in the dining room:

Adrienne comes down a back staircase, ready for their night out:

After the storm is over, Adrienne surveys the damage in the attic studio:

A great aerial view of the various decks and porches surrounding the inn:

Did you see the movie? It got mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it. Except for the ending. Boo-hiss. Let’s end this post on a happy note, at least, with Adrienne and Paul taking a final walk together on the beach…

UPDATE:

You can read more about Serendipity, the actual house used in the movie, and see photos of how it looked after being condemned here. It has since been moved and renovated to look like the one in the movie. You can see how it looks now here.

Julia signature teal with orange burst light

Comments

1. Moi says

I love Richard Gere and like Diane Lane a lot and thought the movie was great and touching. (I also liked them together in ‘Unfaithful’.)

I wasn’t expecting the ending to be so sad but it had a definite impact.

Thanks for the wonderful images.

oh wow! i haven’t seen this movie, but the blue shutters and the gorgeous interiors make me want to rent it! can’t wait for next week; under the tuscan sun is one of my fave chick flicks ever! =)
    .-= gayla´s last blog ..some inspiration via images. =-.

3. Lynne says

I hadn’t realised when I watched the movie, but the Blue Room wallpaper is the same one I have in my daughter’s bedroom (and we live in New Zealand). She has hers teamed with a black wrought iron bedstead, and crimson velvet drapes. A very different and dramatic look compared with the look in the movie.

As to the movie, I felt it could have been much better. Somehow it just failed to fly, for me at any rate.

• Catherine says

Hi!

I live in NZ also, and would LOVE to know where you got that glorius wall paper!!?

I haven’t seen this movie but I am going to watch it now! It looks good!
    Thanks!
    Have a great week!
    Brenda

5. Billy says

Thanx for the great post.

I always thought that the house was an effect, but for the web…

I’ll have to barrow the book from Mom, because this isn’t the type of “film” the my friends are into and I hate crying alone because of a movie.

So no happy ending…, I understand. I haven’t seen the movie yet. The name of the house is “Serendipity”, and she’s awfully close to the water. Check out my todays post @ A Beach Lovers Place (this link), you might get a kick out of it! It’s related.
    .-= Maya´s last blog ..Never Fool with Mother Nature =-.

I did see it and was one who asked you to feature the house. I liked the house better than the movie itself. I was disappointed with the star power that I thought the acting was really choppy, uncomfortable and a little amateur. I don’t know. Something felt off and forced about the whole thing.

I agree, boo hiss at the ending too!

Thanks for featuring the house. I loved that kitchen!!
    .-= Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..Link Love =-.

I didn’t watch this because the blurb on the DVD box hinted at the boo hiss ending! So, thanks, Julia for capturing the bits I would surely have drooled over!
    .-= janice´s last blog ..Alfonsina and the Sea =-.

We vacationed at Topsail Island this summer, and were told that the house is still there, but condemned because beach erosion has made it unstable. Not my kind of movie for several reasons, but I loved the scenery and house.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Dude! =-.

Love all the porches on that house. I’d love to live on the beach someday…or maybe just have a vacation house there. A girl can dream, right? Haven’t seen this movie. I sobbed my way through “The Notebook” and “A Walk to Remember.” Not sure I can handle another cry fest!!! 😉
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Got (In)courage(ment)? =-.

I’ve seen this movie and loved it along with all of Nicholas Sparks other movies. Read all of his books. Even though it’s an unhappy ending it’s an awesome movie.
    .-= Thena´s last blog ..We’re finally home !!! =-.

12. hookedonhouses says

Rue–you’re right, I haven’t! So they’re ALL this sad? Good to know for future reference! Ha.

Christy–I’ll send you an e-mail and let you know. Hate to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet. -Julia

Such a great setting for a movie….why the SAD ending?? I watched it alone one morning and my husband came home to find me crying. So wrong! But the most amazing house. I would love to stay there.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..I Finally Broke =-.

What a gorgeous house! The entire movie it seems to defy the laws of nature to stand on that beach with the waves crashing around it. Interesting to note that it’s now condemned (as Amy said above.) How sad.

I agree with you on the ending of the movie… downer alert! Typical Nicolas Sparks though, right? However, The Notebook is still a favorite of mine. Have you done a post on the house in that movie, by any chance?
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..coulda shoulda woulda =-.

I did see the movie and cried my eyes out…I hated the ending…too sad for me. It was a great little love story that we all dream about but the ending ruined it for me. I had a hard time thinking about it and not getting sad. Can we say too wrapped up in it :)
    Janet
    .-= Janet Doherty´s last blog ..100th Post… =-.

16. hookedonhouses says

Sarah–
    I haven’t featured “The Notebook” yet, but it’s definitely on my list of movies to write about. Thanks! -Julia

I was the epitome of ‘female’s who are a sucker for a love story’ seeing this film. I could see this movie over & over if I could see through the tears in my eyes!
    Thanks for writing this post, I enjoyed it Julia!
    .-= Deborah Milne´s last blog ..Survivor in Eutopia =-.

Saw the movie 4 times, just to check out the Inn. Strange how close to the water it is. Ocean erosion is probably killing it now…..I read the previous post of others who have been there and seen that.
    The insides were very interesting, small and quaint. Especially the swinging doors in the kitchen. I wouldn’t want a full house of guests there, the laundry would be terrible once the guest leave, probably have to take it back and forth to the laundrymat. Of course they don’t show Diane doing that! LOL
    Thanks for the post!
    Suzy
    .-= Suzy´s last blog ..Hooked on Designer Golf Carts….. =-.

I never saw the film but I might just to check out the scenery … crazy that a house could exist like that for so long. Living near the beach in Florida I know first hand about the powerful storms. You couldn’t pay me to live in a house in that location … no matter how beautiful!

I’ve always wanted to have you do The Notebook … can’t wait!
    .-= MissCaron´s last blog ..FUZE =-.

I’m so glad you featured this film! I really like both Diane Lane and Richard Gere and the story was fine but the house was my favorite part. I would love to spend a weekend in a house like that. Another great post, Julia. :)
    .-= FROM THE RIGHT BANK´s last blog ..Inspired Styles =-.

21. Lisa Smith says

Hi, I just wanted to say I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! I was in rodanathe NC this summer, the house doesn’t look like that now, If you like I will send you a picture of it ,,,,,,,, Here is my address. thanks
    Lisa

Another awesome job, Julia!
    Haven’t seen the movie, but really want to. Too bad about the ending, but such is the Nicholas Sparks way.
    I love NC and lived there for several years, hoping to someday return. The pictures really capture the essence of the Outer Banks.
    You mentioned “Must Love Dogs” and “Under the Tuscan Sun” and I must agree! Loved both those places! The craftsman home in “Catch and Release” with Jennifer Garner reminds me of the “Must Love Dogs” house very much. You’ll have to watch that one sometime!

I haven’t watched this movie because I refused to get sucked into another Nicholas Sparks tearjerker trap! But now that I see the inn, I’m probably going to check it out. I don’t know whether to thank you or not! ; )
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..Color Me Quizzical =-.

24. Wendy says

I just had a wonderful vacation in Waves, NC from July 23 – August 1. Waves is the “town” just south of Rodanthe and to get to it you take Hwy 12 from Nags Head south through this 20 mile long nature preserve. I squealed with delight to see that this house is the very first house that you come to when exiting the preserve!

It does appear that the house is condemned, but it is still there in its weathered glory. The blue shutters were only movie props, apparently, and I don’t remember the porch railings being white. But it is wonderful. It’s also interesting in that it’s not that much further onto the beach than the houses next to it… maybe 20 feet? And there’s only about a house width between it and the next house so it’s not as isolated as it always appears in pictures.

There is a fabulous house for rent just across the street on the sound. Its name is “Sentinel on Pamlico” and it has a squatty lighthouse attached to the side. Absolutely GORGEOUS.

those blue accents are amzing.. the exterior of the house with the blue shudders is so sculptural and perfect!

another great post. thanks for this.

all the best!
    david john
    .-= youhavebeenheresometime´s last blog .. =-.

My husband and I saw the movie for my bday because we had seen the house in person! Last summer our rented beach house was directly across the street from this house.

In the movie, the house looks isolated, but in reality there are houses to the right of it (close) and directly across the street. A nature preserve to the left allows those great long shots where it looks so different. We were sitting in the sand in front of the house when the owner came up and talked to us.

The house is currently condemned b/c of how close it is to the water. It is really far into the ocean. He says a surfer sometimes breaks into the house to squat and drink his liquor. He is trying to get permission to fix it up again. I hope he made a lot of $ by letting it be used (exteriors only?) in the film because he paid a lot for this house just a few years ago.

The owner didn’t mention the film, but passersby told us about it later.

Love your blog!
    .-= anna see´s last blog ..Not So Hidden Pleasures, or, What Were They Thinking? =-.

I read the book, so I know what to expect…although I haven’t seen the movie yet. It just dawned on me while I was reading this blog, that the house from “Message in a Bottle” is pretty neat too. All of NS stuff is sad though…you can’t get away from the tears. Oh, I can’t wait to see the Tuscan Sky house – I big poofy heart that movie!! It’s a classic in my book!
    ~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Love These Types of Quizzes, Part Two =-.

28. annelise says

I enjoyed most of the movie. Once it got to the end….I kept wanting it to end. It was just too long! I also didn’t like the ending, I felt like it came out of nowhere. But, I have a soft spot in my heart for Richard Gere, and the house is BEAUTIFUL (I live in NC, and love the OBX beach houses) so I can’t dislike it too much.

29. Nathan says

Would be so much more beautiful if it didn’t have to be storm-proofed, lol. Still so unique and nice though.

30. Colleen Pope says

I would like to find the “beaded curtains” used in the movie Nights In Rodanth”

31. Mary Pirayesh says

I loved the house in this movie! The artistic touches in the interior setting was wonderful. Can you tell me where I can get the wallpaper of the blue room? I really thought it was special & haven’t been able to locate it. The story line was wonderful, but wished it had a better ending.

Mary

wow, that is SO weird! it’s not old, the kitchen!! wow. what a difference. it looks so old in the movie. but i have to say, that was the worst movie! uggh. torture to sit through, I hated it on every level – the script, the acting, didn’t even like the house.

sorry to be such a nego. it’s just not you know what! SGG!!!! ahahah!!!

Joni
    .-= joni webb´s last blog ..Someone’s Gotta Get Her! =-.

33. Kim says

Thanks so much for calling my attention to this movie — I watched it tonight, and of course, cried.

Hopefully with Serendipity’s move, it will no longer have her windows broken, her shingles blown off, her pilings compromised, or her steps in the water.

Thanks to Ben and Debra Huss for rescuing Serendipity; during her move, she stood proud and seemed to be awaiting her new location with excitement. I’m so happy for her and them.

What an amazingly romantic house! I can’t imagine owning that house and renting it out as a Bed & Breakfast.

Bryan

35. Kokuanani says

Nights in Rodanthe is fighting for the top of my list as worst movie I’ve ever seen.

Utter drek.

We were vacationing on Topsail Island, N.C. while they were filming Nights in Rodanthe. They used a vacation home just a few doors down from our condo in a development called Hampton Colony for the interior shots. The exterior shots were of Serendipity in the Outer Banks. The one in Topsail is intact and fine, the one for the exterior shots, Serendipity was the one that was at risk of collapse. By the way, love your site!

38. Etta says

This was a Tear dropper for Me. I Loved Fine Richard Gere in this movie and Diane Lane was WONDERFUL.

39. Lisa says

I like the movie very much. Well…I love every movie with Richard Gere ;))
    Diane Lane was great, too!!
    I was sooooooo SHOCKED about the end!!! :(((