A House to Kill For in “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”

by hookedonhouses on July 20, 2009

After posting about the Father of the Bride house recently, several readers asked if it was the same house used in the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It is in Pasadena near the FOTB house and does look a lot like it, but it’s not the same one. Here’s the house used in Mr. & Mrs. Smith:

And the Father of the Bride house (interior photos here):

Hollywood loves these kinds of houses. It seems to be the Classic American House. In Mr. & Mrs. Smith, it worked really well to have John and Jane Smith (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie) living in such a traditional home. It was an effective cover for who they really are: paid assassins.

When you step inside the traditional home, the interiors are a complete surprise–just like the characters who live in them.

The Two-Story Entry:

The Living Room:

Jane balances on the arms of a chair to adjust the new drapes:

The Dining Room:

A photo of them filming in the dining room (from the Special Features on the DVD):

The Kitchen:

Angelina’s character, Jane Smith, reminds me of Bree Hodge in “Desperate Housewives” (Marcia Cross). She’s a woman who is in complete control of her home, preparing gourmet meals that hit the table precisely at 7:00 each night. Meanwhile, her personal life is in a shambles. For one thing, her husband doesn’t know she’s in the same business he is, and the secrets have driven a wedge between them.

Mrs. Smith has a double oven in the kitchen. The lower one opens to reveal her stash of weaponry. How cool is that? Also cool: the tile on the wall around it.
angelina-oven-stores-weapons

2/11 UPDATE: I just received an e-mail from artist Shelley Brown who tells me she painted the “Eggs” painting in the kitchen. For more information about her work, you can contact her at srbrown25@gmail.com.

The Master Bedroom:

The sets were designed by Victor Zolfo, who also worked on films like “The Case of Benjamin Button,” another Brad Pitt vehicle. He receives fan mail from all over the world from people who love the rooms he created for this movie. And I can understand why.

It’s hard to imagine this movie with any other combination of actors. Nicole Kidman and Johnny Depp were originally cast as Mr. and Mrs. Smith. When Depp backed out, Pitt was brought on board. When Kidman dropped out, Gwen Stefani and Catherine Zeta-Jones were reportedly considered for the role.

Another bit of trivia: Brad Pitt had to leave the Mr. & Mrs. Smith set for three months to film Oceans 12.

The Master Bath:

Upstairs Landing:

The Back of the House:

Destroying the House (look away now if you’re squeamish!):

I found the destruction scenes hard to watch. At the end of the movie, Angelina’s character tells their marriage counselor, “We redid the house together.”

I found some of these photos on the Internet, but none of the sites mentioned the original source. The exterior shot at the top of the post was taken by a fan who tracked it down in Pasadena and posted it here (I’ve been corrected–he’s the grandson of a neighbor, not a fan). The rest of the photos are ones I snapped while watching the movie. All rights to the images belong to 20th Century Fox, which distributed the film.

As we all know, “Mr. & Smith” led to a divorce (Brad and Jen’s) and the creation of Brangelina (Brad and Angelina). Five years later, the couple has six children, including the twins Knox and Vivienne shown here in a People spread about them.

To read more about the Super Couple, check out the French Chateau they stayed in last summer and their $60 million rental on Long Island.

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to all of the others I’ve featured, from  “You’ve Got Mail” to “Something’s Gotta Give.”

Deborah Milne July 20, 2009 at 8:12 am

Thanks Julia so much fun this morning to see. Are not the light fixtures in that house spectacular? What a fabulous home & a very entertaining movie.

Happy Monday!
.-= Deborah Milne´s last blog ..Faces of France =-.

Emily B July 20, 2009 at 8:47 am

I *always* find home/building destruction hard to watch. The library on our local campus was demolished a year or so ago and I would literally get ill every time I drove my sister up there or drove past that end of the campus. Maybe I’m just a crazy person, but I think buildings have a spirit and a personality, so watching them be destroyed just doesn’t feel right.
.-= Emily B´s last blog ..my $pace =-.

Janet July 20, 2009 at 9:28 am

love love love the kitchen!
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Pillow Love =-.

susan July 20, 2009 at 9:36 am

The inside of this house definitely does not fit the outside! I have a mission for you–We saw “The Proposal” with Sandra Bullock yesterday—average movie; FABULOUS house. I can’t find a thing about details. It takes place in Sitka (sp?), Alaska. Many scenes take place in a drop dead gorgeous bedroom. I’m counting on you–the house sleuth!
.-= susan´s last blog ..Metamorphosis Monday and Thrifty Treasures….A Frontgate Look at Garden Ridge Prices =-.

Amy July 20, 2009 at 9:50 am

I didn’t see this movie but wow, that house is fantastic! That kitchen is just fabulous.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..First Day of Third Grade =-.

Rebecca July 20, 2009 at 10:12 am

What a fun post. I forgot how beautiful that house was, inside and out! Thanks for the pics!

Struggler July 20, 2009 at 11:13 am

I too had forgotten just how amazing this house was. I can’t believe they wrecked it – gulp! – but I guess they only blew up a set, not the real home.

And no offense to Ms Kidman, but I’m not sure this would have been the best role for her – that seems a weird casting decision to me.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Jane’s next piece of genius =-.

christy July 20, 2009 at 11:35 am

One of your best posts yet Julia. Loved it. I can’t believe that kitchen – how inventive. I love that type of tile (we have it in our guest bath) and I love how they used it at a 90 degree angle to how the rest of the world normally uses it – AND it covers the island and the sides of the island – how neat-o! BUT, I’m not a fan of them. I’m a Jenn girl, all the way. I hate that Angelina told some interviewer that they fell in love during the filming of that movie! Hello? Insensitive much? He was still married! ugh. But fabulous house, and post!
.-= christy´s last blog ..One and a half bags of sugar =-.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger July 20, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I’ve always thought that house was DELICIOUS!
.-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..i Heart Faces Challenge =-.

NHiltner July 20, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I MUCH prefer the house in Father of the Bride, especially the kitchen, which is so warm and inviting. I think this house feels cool and cold, like the people who inhabit it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I loooove the exterior of the Brangelina house, but the interior is a little too contemporary for me. Great photos!!!! I have to second the person above (Susan) who mentioned the home in The Proposal…cute movie, fabulous home!!! :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..If I Were a Betting Woman… =-.

Helena July 20, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I just love your blog. Thank you from a girl in Sweden!
.-= Helena´s last blog ..Malibu =-.

Billy July 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm

This just shows that contemporary can be soft and romantic. The house reflects the main characters, traditional to the world but inside is a whole different complex story. But the floors, what kind of wood are they?

Mandy Sadler July 20, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Great post – great house. Could you do a post on the house used that Noah redid for Allie in The Notebook or Clara’s House in Lonesome Dove. I love those two houses! Thanks for the great blog!
Mandy

bungalowbliss July 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I loooove the exterior of this house! All the bells and whistles are a little modern for my tastes, but it was still fun to see in the movie.

Ooh, can I second the request by Mandy for Noah’s house in the Notebook? ;-)
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..Good Fences May Make Good Neighbors… =-.

Kellye July 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I’ve not seen the movie, either, but love those light fixtures! The kitchen would be fab for someone who had some cooking skills. ;)

Mom in High Heels July 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I love the exterior of the house, but the interior doesn’t mesh for me. Inside a more contemporary house, I’d be okay with it, but not in THAT house. Funny you posted this because I just did a bit on one of my posts about how I am resolved to be angry at Brad as well as Angelina. I’ve linked the post at the bottom. It’s in one (or two) of my “Dear So and So” letters.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Dear So and So 5: The Final Frontier =-.

Tamara July 20, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I definately had a hard time watching the fight/destruction scenes! I didn’t even notice how pretty the house was because I found the violence part of the movie between them was a bit disturbing……but the house IS gorgeous :)
.-= Tamara´s last blog ..What a Difference a Recession Makes =-.

Holly July 21, 2009 at 6:41 am

I agree with those who said the exterior and interior don’t mesh (though I get that it was mirroring ‘life’ in the movie). You could put this in another post category, the ones were we all pick apart where the reno went wrong. Not that I don’t like the interior; in real life it just belongs in a more contemporary house.
I wonder how much it galled the actors to watch Fox news?
.-= Holly´s last blog ..Pantry Project: in Progress =-.

Amy @ Living Locurto July 21, 2009 at 8:29 am

Amazing house. It’s a surprise when you enter to see how modern it is… like a trendy hotel. That was a great eye candy site all around!! :-)
.-= Amy @ Living Locurto´s last blog ..Pretty Free Paper =-.

Amy @ Living Locurto July 21, 2009 at 8:30 am

Gosh… you can tell I’m into web sites a little too much. ha! I meant to say:

That was a great eye candy MOVIE all around! (ha!)

Stephanie@Geezees July 21, 2009 at 8:31 am

in love with that kitchen, brad pitt isn’t too bad to look at either! I really enjoyed that movie and as always your blog! Thanks Julie!
.-= Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..CANVAS UNWRAPPED … Jamies Story =-.

Julie @ Organizement July 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I love that house, that movie, AND your movie house posts! I was thinking of you recently when I watched “The Pacifier”. It’s a kids movie with Vin Diesel. They had a cool house too!
.-= Julie @ Organizement´s last blog ..Save Yourselves! =-.

daily decorator July 23, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Great post! I am always checking out houses too in movies and tv. I wonder what the going rate for renting a house for a movie is these days.
.-= daily decorator´s last blog ..Summer in Full Swing =-.

Sandy August 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

Love the house.
Love the movie.
Love Brangelina!
Thanks for posting this!

sarah schiano September 29, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I love love love your site, I am in love with the architechture of houses, the designs are what captivate me. I have been trying for some time to get a photo of the nursery in the movie hook. I know it was all made on a sound stage but do you think somehow you can find a picture of the childrens room in that movie was just amazing…how the beds were inset …everything. Thanks keep up the great work!!
Sarah

anita February 12, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Hello Julia

I just found your website- fabulous

As a kid I always loved the house on ” Father Knows Best”

Do you think you can do an expose of that some day ?

Cheers

MissTUK April 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm

First must say this site is brill. Now must ask…is this also the same house in The War of the Roses?

hookedonhouses April 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I don’t think it’s the same house, but I haven’t seen “War of the Roses” in years, so my memory of it is fuzzy. Does anyone else know? -Julia

MissTUK April 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Wow, quick reply! See if you can rent it. I’m almost certain it’s the same.

Ron July 25, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I can see what people mean about their view that the exterior and interior don’t mesh well. I love it. Ultimately, the interior is classic with a modern twist. I love that there aren’t a lot of color schemes going on, but mostly earth tones. I am a stainless steel lover and love that about the kitchen. Perhaps people were expecting to see more color and sort of Americana in the interior, but I think its perfect. It is EXACTLY the kind of house I want. I love the classic exterior of the house from the white color to the windows and the landscaping. I also love a classic, yet modern and simple interior style with hardwoods, earth tones, stainless steel. Fabulous house.

I think that an example of what people are thinking of a house in which the interior and exterior mesh well is Diane Keaton’s Hamptons beach house in Somethings Gotta Give. That seemed to be a great example of a classic Hamptons style exterior beach house that had very sophisticated and traditional design on the interior. I too loved that house and if I could ever have a beach house like that, I would want my exterior and interior to resemble that.

Another house I adore is Meryl Streep’s house in Its Complicated. Again, great exterior with classic and contemporary mixture inside.

Name 101 December 3, 2010 at 7:34 am

This rocked!

Shelley Brown February 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I love the house in the film,Mr.and Mrs.Smith. It was brought to my attention recently,that many people were looking for the artist who painted the painting of the carton of “EGGS” hanging in the kitchen. I am the artist.My name is Shelley Brown.Thank you so very much for your compliments!. Giclee’s are available. You can find me at: srbrown25@gmail.com. Thanks again!

di in LA February 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

Please add a shot or two of that gorgeous Bogota hotel room from the beginning of the film. I cannot get it out of my head! Thanks

Gwynneth May 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yes to “Di in LA” above! The Bogota hotel scene, I read (prob. on IMDb) was a set in LA, I think. Nothing was shot in Colombia, just Mexico and Colorado (the rock-climbing scene?). But, yes, that suite in “Bogota” was GORGEOUS! The lime-washed walls, showing their age, with tones of peacock blue and carnelian, were perfect. Loved the bed and the crewel-work sheets, too!

As for Mr. and Mrs. Smith’s home, it was too rote, too formulaic, though that is probably what the production designer et al. were going for: two young, busy assassins who would pick the “cover” house most UNlike the two of them, in a neighborhood full of cloying, phony yuppies (LOVE Jane’s look at the party as the wives coo over hubby’s promotions!).

The interiors are similar in intent: so perfect, so sleek yet classic, sporting that popular ’90′s-early millennium melange of “Leave it to Beaver” and Hollywood Hills, slapped together (yet deftly) by someone from “HGTV”, perhaps?

When I first saw the film, I too was dazzled at all the little touches–the pendant chandelier, the odd, earth-tone colors, sparkling kitchen tiles and the “red oak” floors (actually a substitute for a vulgar phrase, in answer to the neighbor’s inquiry, that they decided not to have Brad say, so they could put it elsewhere–watch the DVD commentary). But, like John, I also thought the curtains were “hideous” and in the end, you realize that the house is actually very “cold”, personality-wise, like their marriage.

In that sense, the design is a triumph, but I wouldn’t want to live there. What I WOULD like to have seen was their “redone” second house! Imagine the shared hoard of weapons! No more secrets.