A House to Kill For in the Movie “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”

The "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" Movie House | hookedonhouses.net

After writing about the Father of the Bride house, several readers asked if it was the same house used in the Mr. & Mrs. Smith movie. It is in Pasadena near the FOTB house and does look a lot like it, but it’s not the same, as you can see by comparing it to this photo from Father of the Bride:

Father of the Bride movie house picket fence

Hollywood loves these kinds of houses. It seems to be the Classic American House. In Mr. & Mrs. Smith, it worked really well to have John and Jane Smith (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie) living in such a traditional home. It was an effective cover for who they really are: paid assassins.

The "Mrs. and Mrs. Smith" movie house | hookedonhouses.net

When you step inside the traditional home, the interiors are a complete surprise–just like the characters who live in them.

The Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house entry hall

The "Mrs. and Mrs. Smith" movie house | hookedonhouses.net

The "Mrs. and Mrs. Smith" movie house | hookedonhouses.net

Jane Smith reminds me of Bree on “Desperate Housewives.” She’s in complete control of her home, preparing gourmet meals that hit the table precisely at 7:00 each night, but her personal life is kind of a mess. For one thing, her husband doesn’t know she’s in the same business he is.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith dining room

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house kitchen

Mrs. Smith has a double oven in the kitchen. The lower one opens to reveal her stash of weaponry. How cool is that? Also cool: the tile on the wall around it.

The "Mrs. and Mrs. Smith" movie house | hookedonhouses.net

Artist Shelley Brown she painted the “Eggs” painting in the kitchen.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house kitchen 2

The sets were designed by Victor Zolfo, who also worked on films like The Case of Benjamin Button, another Brad Pitt vehicle. He says he gets fan mail from all over the world from people who love the rooms he created for this movie.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house kitchen set

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house master bedroom

It’s hard to imagine this movie with any other combination of actors, but Nicole Kidman and Johnny Depp were originally cast as Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house bedroom

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house bathroom

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house bathroom 2

Shooting up the Mr. and Mrs. Smith House

I found the destruction scenes hard to watch. At the end of the movie, Angelina’s character tells their marriage counselor, “We redid the house together.”

Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie house back

I couldn’t find the original source info for the set photos, so if anyone has it, let me know. The exterior shot at the top of the post was taken by the grandson of a neighbor who tracked it down in Pasadena and posted it here. The rest of the photos are screenshots from the movie.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith

P.S. Check out Brad & Angelina’s French Chateau, where they married in 2014.

Julia-simple teal signature

Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Father of the Bride houseThe House from Father of the Bride

A few months ago I wrote a post about the movie Twilight. Since then I learned more about Edward Cullen's contemporary house. According to architect…
Marley & Me movie poster Owen Wilson Jen Aniston
Since Marley & Me came out last year, I've been getting requests for photos of both the charming starter home that John and Jenny Grogan…

Thanks Julia so much fun this morning to see. Are not the light fixtures in that house spectacular? What a fabulous home & a very entertaining movie.

Happy Monday!
    .-= Deborah Milne´s last blog ..Faces of France =-.

I *always* find home/building destruction hard to watch. The library on our local campus was demolished a year or so ago and I would literally get ill every time I drove my sister up there or drove past that end of the campus. Maybe I’m just a crazy person, but I think buildings have a spirit and a personality, so watching them be destroyed just doesn’t feel right.
    .-= Emily B´s last blog ..my $pace =-.

I too had forgotten just how amazing this house was. I can’t believe they wrecked it – gulp! – but I guess they only blew up a set, not the real home.

And no offense to Ms Kidman, but I’m not sure this would have been the best role for her – that seems a weird casting decision to me.
    .-= Struggler´s last blog ..Jane’s next piece of genius =-.

One of your best posts yet Julia. Loved it. I can’t believe that kitchen – how inventive. I love that type of tile (we have it in our guest bath) and I love how they used it at a 90 degree angle to how the rest of the world normally uses it – AND it covers the island and the sides of the island – how neat-o! BUT, I’m not a fan of them. I’m a Jenn girl, all the way. I hate that Angelina told some interviewer that they fell in love during the filming of that movie! Hello? Insensitive much? He was still married! ugh. But fabulous house, and post!
    .-= christy´s last blog ..One and a half bags of sugar =-.

5. NHiltner says

I MUCH prefer the house in Father of the Bride, especially the kitchen, which is so warm and inviting. I think this house feels cool and cold, like the people who inhabit it.

I loooove the exterior of the Brangelina house, but the interior is a little too contemporary for me. Great photos!!!! I have to second the person above (Susan) who mentioned the home in The Proposal…cute movie, fabulous home!!! :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..If I Were a Betting Woman… =-.

7. Billy says

This just shows that contemporary can be soft and romantic. The house reflects the main characters, traditional to the world but inside is a whole different complex story. But the floors, what kind of wood are they?

8. Mandy Sadler says

Great post – great house. Could you do a post on the house used that Noah redid for Allie in The Notebook or Clara’s House in Lonesome Dove. I love those two houses! Thanks for the great blog!

9. Kellye says

I’ve not seen the movie, either, but love those light fixtures! The kitchen would be fab for someone who had some cooking skills. 😉

I love the exterior of the house, but the interior doesn’t mesh for me. Inside a more contemporary house, I’d be okay with it, but not in THAT house. Funny you posted this because I just did a bit on one of my posts about how I am resolved to be angry at Brad as well as Angelina. I’ve linked the post at the bottom. It’s in one (or two) of my “Dear So and So” letters.
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Dear So and So 5: The Final Frontier =-.

I definately had a hard time watching the fight/destruction scenes! I didn’t even notice how pretty the house was because I found the violence part of the movie between them was a bit disturbing……but the house IS gorgeous :)
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..What a Difference a Recession Makes =-.

I agree with those who said the exterior and interior don’t mesh (though I get that it was mirroring ‘life’ in the movie). You could put this in another post category, the ones were we all pick apart where the reno went wrong. Not that I don’t like the interior; in real life it just belongs in a more contemporary house.
    I wonder how much it galled the actors to watch Fox news?
    .-= Holly´s last blog ..Pantry Project: in Progress =-.

I love that house, that movie, AND your movie house posts! I was thinking of you recently when I watched “The Pacifier”. It’s a kids movie with Vin Diesel. They had a cool house too!
    .-= Julie @ Organizement´s last blog ..Save Yourselves! =-.

14. Sandy says

Love the house.
    Love the movie.
    Love Brangelina!
    Thanks for posting this!

15. sarah schiano says

I love love love your site, I am in love with the architechture of houses, the designs are what captivate me. I have been trying for some time to get a photo of the nursery in the movie hook. I know it was all made on a sound stage but do you think somehow you can find a picture of the childrens room in that movie was just amazing…how the beds were inset …everything. Thanks keep up the great work!!

16. anita says

Hello Julia

I just found your website- fabulous

As a kid I always loved the house on ” Father Knows Best”

Do you think you can do an expose of that some day ?

17. MissTUK says

First must say this site is brill. Now must ask…is this also the same house in The War of the Roses?

• hookedonhouses says

I don’t think it’s the same house, but I haven’t seen “War of the Roses” in years, so my memory of it is fuzzy. Does anyone else know? -Julia

18. MissTUK says

Wow, quick reply! See if you can rent it. I’m almost certain it’s the same.

19. Ron says

I can see what people mean about their view that the exterior and interior don’t mesh well. I love it. Ultimately, the interior is classic with a modern twist. I love that there aren’t a lot of color schemes going on, but mostly earth tones. I am a stainless steel lover and love that about the kitchen. Perhaps people were expecting to see more color and sort of Americana in the interior, but I think its perfect. It is EXACTLY the kind of house I want. I love the classic exterior of the house from the white color to the windows and the landscaping. I also love a classic, yet modern and simple interior style with hardwoods, earth tones, stainless steel. Fabulous house.

I think that an example of what people are thinking of a house in which the interior and exterior mesh well is Diane Keaton’s Hamptons beach house in Somethings Gotta Give. That seemed to be a great example of a classic Hamptons style exterior beach house that had very sophisticated and traditional design on the interior. I too loved that house and if I could ever have a beach house like that, I would want my exterior and interior to resemble that.

Another house I adore is Meryl Streep’s house in Its Complicated. Again, great exterior with classic and contemporary mixture inside.

20. Shelley Brown says

I love the house in the film,Mr.and Mrs.Smith. It was brought to my attention recently,that many people were looking for the artist who painted the painting of the carton of “EGGS” hanging in the kitchen. I am the artist.My name is Shelley Brown.Thank you so very much for your compliments!. Giclee’s are available. You can find me at: srbrown25@gmail.com. Thanks again!

21. di in LA says

Please add a shot or two of that gorgeous Bogota hotel room from the beginning of the film. I cannot get it out of my head! Thanks

22. Gwynneth says

Yes to “Di in LA” above! The Bogota hotel scene, I read (prob. on IMDb) was a set in LA, I think. Nothing was shot in Colombia, just Mexico and Colorado (the rock-climbing scene?). But, yes, that suite in “Bogota” was GORGEOUS! The lime-washed walls, showing their age, with tones of peacock blue and carnelian, were perfect. Loved the bed and the crewel-work sheets, too!

As for Mr. and Mrs. Smith’s home, it was too rote, too formulaic, though that is probably what the production designer et al. were going for: two young, busy assassins who would pick the “cover” house most UNlike the two of them, in a neighborhood full of cloying, phony yuppies (LOVE Jane’s look at the party as the wives coo over hubby’s promotions!).

The interiors are similar in intent: so perfect, so sleek yet classic, sporting that popular ’90’s-early millennium melange of “Leave it to Beaver” and Hollywood Hills, slapped together (yet deftly) by someone from “HGTV”, perhaps?

When I first saw the film, I too was dazzled at all the little touches–the pendant chandelier, the odd, earth-tone colors, sparkling kitchen tiles and the “red oak” floors (actually a substitute for a vulgar phrase, in answer to the neighbor’s inquiry, that they decided not to have Brad say, so they could put it elsewhere–watch the DVD commentary). But, like John, I also thought the curtains were “hideous” and in the end, you realize that the house is actually very “cold”, personality-wise, like their marriage.

In that sense, the design is a triumph, but I wouldn’t want to live there. What I WOULD like to have seen was their “redone” second house! Imagine the shared hoard of weapons! No more secrets.