Before & After: Giving Old Fireplaces a New Look

by hookedonhouses on February 11, 2008

brickfrplcbefore.jpe

Most home buyers would take one look at this dark brick and paneled family room and run the other way. But John and Sherry at This Young House were not deterred. They bought the 50-year old ranch home and began working their magic on it. When you see what they’ve done with the place, you can’t help but be amazed.

brickfrplcafter.jpe

It’s hard to believe this is the same room. I think they deserve a round of applause.

They had another dark brick fireplace in the living room that received an equally stunning makeover. I couldn’t decide which to show you, so you’re getting both.

Here is the living room fireplace before:

brickfrplc2before.jpe

And here is the living room after:

brickfrplc2after.jpe

John and Sherry’s blog is full of inspiring decorating ideas for small or outdated homes that you might not think have much potential at first glance. I can hardly wait to see what they do next.

If You’re Hooked on Before & Afters:

thisyounghouse February 11, 2008 at 7:02 pm

So cute to see our humble home featured on your blog! Thanks for the shout out. We plan to keep doing our home improvement thing, so stay tuned for some more fun and fabulous before & afters.

xo,

Sherry

hookedonhouses February 11, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for letting me share your fabulous makeovers with everybody, Sherry! I will definitely stay tuned to see what else you two come up with. -Julia :-)

maya February 11, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Wowee. They did a fantastic job. They should be really proud!

janet February 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I am going over for a visit now. Always looking for ideas to pass on to clients ( oh clients…where are you??).

Janet

J-Dawg February 12, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Wow, you cant even tell that those pictures were taken in the same place!! That would’ve taken a lot of hard work.

thisyounghouse February 18, 2008 at 9:26 pm

It’s us again (John and Sherry from thisyounghouse.com), stopping in to thank you once again for featuring our humble home on your blog. We’re so excited about the traffic you’re sending our way, but unfortunately it’s all going to our old wordpress site. Is there any way you could change your links to http://www.thisyounghouse.com so that people come thru to the newly redesigned and updated site?

Thanks a million!

xo
John & Sherry

hookedonhouses February 18, 2008 at 9:46 pm

John & Sherry–
Your wish is my command. The links have been updated. Your new site looks great! -Julia

thisyounghouse February 19, 2008 at 11:08 am

Thanks a million Julia!!!

xo,
Sherry

Marie February 20, 2008 at 10:03 am

WOW! I’m almost afraid to keep looking at your site… my pocketbook and my husband won’t like it one bit! (does anyone actually SAY pocketbook anymore??) Beautiful before and afters!

Anita Walsh March 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Is it possible t find out how you renewed your old fireplace? it looks awesome

hookedonhouses March 3, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Anita–go to http://www.thisyounghouse.com. It’s their fireplace and they could give you more information about it. -Julia

Papa April 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm

The variety and links on your blog are wonderfully inspiring.

{ 2 trackbacks }