A Summer Home with Traditional Style in Maine

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful Tom Scheerer 500This summer home on Somes Sound in Southwest Harbor, Maine, was looking “a little old fashioned” before designer Tom Scheerer freshened things up. It has been updated, but it maintains much of its traditional Colonial style. Among the changes he made was adding this lovely porch, because “a summer house shouldn’t be porchless.” (Agreed!)

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (1)

I spotted this house in Scheerer’s portfolio on his website. It was also featured in an issue of House Beautiful.

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (6)

The house still has traditional style but it doesn’t take itself too seriously. You’ll find ball caps hanging in the hall next to a bust of Benjamin Franklin:

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (7)

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (3)

The wallpaper in the guest bedroom is Adam’s Eden by Carleton V:

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (12)

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (11)

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (13)

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (9)

The pink bathroom looks sweetly old fashioned:

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (10)

I grew up in an old house that had a built-in banquette that looks a lot like the one in this kitchen, but our table was red instead of blue:

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (14)

For more photos and information, visit Scheerer’s portfolio on his website and the slideshow on House Beautiful. (Photos by Francesco Lagnese; article by James Servin.)

Colonial in Maine House Beautiful (16)

P.S. You can see Tom Scheerer’s charming house in the Hamptons here:

18th century shingled cottage East Hampton

Decorating with White Country Living book kitchen
Are you drawn to all-white rooms? When Country Living's new book Decorating with White arrived on my doorstep, I immediately sat down to ooh and…
A Palm Beach Maisonette
The new issue of House Beautiful magazine features this "Palm Beach maisonette" from the 1920s with only 640 square feet. Barbara King writes that at…

Love him and that wallpaper is fabulous. He always uses those same bird prints. Makes me want some!

2. Beth C. says

This is darling! All the little details give it such charm, like the scalloped shade on the sconce in the bathroom. So cute! Makes me yearn for my N.E. roots. Best, Beth C.

• Jonia says

Those gray wood walls immediately caught my eye too! They offer so much character. After having done our own drywall and mudding – I’m very inclined to do something like that the next go round 😀

Happy summer! I love Maine! My daughters and I always love to spend our vacation days there! Love the house! I loved keeping up with your blog! Jamie Herzlinger

4. Martha says

This is lovely! It doesn’t looked “styled” but tastefully done over years. The bedroom is beautiful, elegant, yet very comfortable looking. Also really like that the bathroom sink stayed, or maybe it didn’t. I guess that is what I like………it looks like home.

5. Lisa says

I lived in Maine a couple of years ago and this was delightful to see. I think the decor was SO inspiring. Every room and area had it’s own “look”. Loved it.

6. Carolyn says

Great style. Love the bathroom sinks! Again, very similar to mine in our 1920’s home.

7. tara says

This is perfect. Simply love it. Where did he find those gorgeous coverlets?

8. Jonia says

Spiffy and livable. I love the layering of textures. It really gives the house a personality.

oh my GOODNESS. Somes Sound is one of the most beautiful places on earth…the house fits it’s surroundings!! I love it!

10. Karen says

Acadia National Park and Southwest Harbor are so beautiful. I really like this designer’s style–the wallpaper, the bird prints and especially the gray wood walls in the entry. The details are so lovely. It’s all so very tasteful and elegant, but comfortable at the same time. I also agree that a summer home shouldn’t be without a porch, especially in such a gorgeous setting. Despite it being a summer home, I would find it hard to leave–it’s just so lovely. Thanks for sharing.