A 19th-Century Barn Becomes a Guest House in Gladwyne

A Barn Turned Guest House in Gladwynne PA

This barn was built in the late 1800s and sits on a 20-acre property in Gladwyne, Pennsylvania. Archer & Buchanan Architects restored and refashioned it as a guest house with recycled barn materials, “maintaining the feeling of a barn.”

A Barn Turned Guest House in Gladwynne PA 1

I have always been kind of fascinated by barns converted into houses, so I was excited to see this one featured on Houzz.

Barn turned into a Guest House (2)

There’s a mix of both open, awe-inspiring spaces and cozy, intimate ones.

Barn turned into a Guest House (4)

Barn turned into a Guest House (3)

The architect says, “The finished work includes the great room, kitchen, study and bath on the main level and screened porch, play area and wine cellar on the lower level.”

Barn turned into a Guest House (5)

The interior design was done by Michael Shannon Designs. Photos by Barry Halkin. To learn more about the project and the architects behind it, visit Archer & Buchanan.

Barn turned into a Guest House (6)

Have you ever wanted to live in a barn? Or been asked if you were raised in one? 😉

Hooked on Barn Houses? Click here to see more, including…

barn-bedroom-stone-walls-lonely cottage lane

A Barn-Turned-Guest House on Lonely Cottage Lane

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Old Victorian Attic in Granville OH before
Architect Richard Taylor told me about finishing this attic in Granville, Ohio: "The owners loved everything about this 1895 Victorian farmhouse but were especially dazzled…
Ellen and Portia cover of Elle Decor
After I showed you an historic house in Vermont that Michael J. Fox once owned, a couple of you asked why some celebrities move so…

1. martha says

This is stunning! Guest house? Wow, I would be a guest that never leaves. Love the chairs around dinning table. Windows….beams….perfection!

2. laney says

…martha i love those chairs too!…and i love that this is a barn that still looks like a barn…a very very very beautiful and charming barn…but a barn…blessings laney

3. JJ Higgins says

So beautiful,if that is the guest house,how great must the main house be,I cannot even imagine.

4. Jane says

Love this! It’s rustic but elegant all at the same time. I always dreamed of making a barn into house. Guess the closest I’ll ever get is that someone put up board and batten paneling on one of the walls in the bedroom. This little guest house is bigger than my home!

5. Cindy says

Love love love love love! I wouldn’t leave, either! 😉

6. Teresa says

Just stunning! I remember many years ago when “This Old House” converted a barn into a beautiful home. It’s still one of my all time favorite projects on the series.

7. Cheryl in Wisconsin says

I love the staging for this shoot. Those flower arrangements!

8. Carolyn says

Julia, you made me laugh with your question if you’d ever been asked if you were raised in a barn. Love that old expression. It has crossed my mind to remind my sons that they were NOT raised in one! (Though for my son’s wedding last year we had the rehearsal dinner in a small dairy barn and the reception in a large one. The wedding itself was outside under a large oak tree looking over pastures to the mountains beyond. It was perfect!) I have always loved the look of old barns turned into houses: the posts and beams, the lofty ceilings, the really tall windows, the rustic feel. In fact, one of the first dream houses I clipped from a magazine in my twenties was a barn home. But as I have gotten older I’ve come to appreciate cozier, more human scaled spaces that are easier to heat. But there is something about that sense of space in a barn. This one is beautiful.

9. KBella says

It is my DREAM to own a converted barn house!! Thank you for sharing this gorgeous piece of inspiration! *sigh*

Gorgeous! I love the light and airiness that is grounded by all the wood. One question though, are the walls insulated or is this strictly a warm weather use guest house?

11. Rebecca C. says

Wow. Beautiful. I’d live there. Who said something about a guest house?

12. Evelyn says

Hi Julia, Gladwyne is a very wealthy community here in this area. A majority of homes are beautiful and this one is particularly unique. Great post. Always interesting to see how the other half lives.

13. Ann says

Yes, I have been asked if I was raised in a barn! And I would love to live here.

I am in love with that house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I liked rustic somewhat, but that house just spoke to my heart! Maybe our next project will be a barn “guest” house – and my husband and I will be the guests. :)

15. amy says

Definitely have this as my house.Me and my husband would love it.the exposed beams and wood everywhere are just gorgeous. In the winter it would be wonderful by a fire place, baking cakes and biscuits. My next house I think!

16. Esther George says

Now that is stunning… That window what can I say I have beautiful window envy. Hi Julia thank you for sharing. I do remind my husband that I was not raised in a barn, but this one is exceptional. Regards Esther from Sydney.

17. Dean says

Well, I’m an echo here: Love, love, love, love it! The furnishings I can take or leave, but the rest is a winner. I’ll take one… with about 3 acres! :-)

18. Kim says

This is the best converted barn I have ever seen. It is absolutely gorgeous! If I owned this property, I would live in this barn instead of use it as a guesthouse.

I love the airiness inside with the warmth of the wood. And the color of the furniture is so lovely too, it blends with both the wood and stands out too so it’s eye-catching. It’s perfect. Thank you.

20. stef says

It’s beautiful and inviting.
    Being a native of PA and familiar with it’s very long, bitter cold winters, I wonder how they heat the space, especially with those large (lovely) windows?

• Wade Watson says

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. There seems to be no insulation or even inner walls through most of it. My guess is they won’t be having guests come to stay in the wintertime much. The rest of the year it looks like a great place to be, though.

21. DoodleBug says

Love the barn!!! If I were moving in, lucky me, I would add more metal, and yellows and golds to balance out the wood. Loved the built-in desk next to the daybed!!!! Thanks for showing that one, Julia.

22. Elizabeth Powell says

Started on the article re Beverly Cleary’s house, then this one. That reminded me of Betty MacDonald’s repurposed barn on Vashon Island, WA; it is now a bed and breakfast, and there are two units: a cottage and the upper hayloft in the barn, with a deck that has a delicious deck looking out over the water to Mount Rainier.

Cannot say enough about how lovely it was! It’d be a good subject for your blog – which I also enjoy very much!