A Sweet Little Playhouse Tucked Under the Stairs

Playroom under the stairs Rambling Renovators

When I saw this adorable little play space and book nook that Jennifer and her husband created for their daughter Chloe under the stairs, I nearly squealed out loud. What young girl (or “older girl,” who might happen to be a mom, for that matter) wouldn’t love having her own little playhouse like this?

gray and white striped awning outside playhouse

Jen’s blog Rambling Renovators was one of the first I ever followed. Their basement has come a long way since they moved in. It was unfinished, and she debated what to do with that space under the stairs:

playroom unfinished basement before

I’m not sure I would have had the vision to look at that rough space and think, “Playhouse!” But they did. And I love everything about it, from the gray and white-striped awning over the door to the yellow and gray stencil inside.

Playhouse under stairs Rambling Renovators

I’d say Chloe is a lucky little girl. Visit Rambling Renovators for all the photos and information about the project!

P.S. If You’re Hooked on Playhouses:

yellow playhouse at Restyled Home

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Designer Ann Rae Turquoise front door BHG 2-13
When I read the February issue of Better Homes and Gardens, the article about interior designer Ann Rae's house with the turquoise door is the…
BHG beach house with red accents-living room
When February rolls around and Valentine's Day with it, I suddenly start craving more red in my house. The only room that has much of…

Comments

That is the sweetest thing I’ve seen in a long time. I would have adored a little nook like that when I was a kid, and I’m guessing my daughter would be equally smitten with such a space!! Love it!!

So cute!! Under my stairs I have a coat/shoe corner but my kids and their little friends always use it as a hideout/playhouse! I guess there’s something about a small, cozy space that appeals to kids!

Oh, how adorable!!! A-d-o-r-a-b-l-e! I love it!!!

Great post, Julia.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

PS: Drop by if you have a minute. I’m posting about a cottage that I think you’ll love. I remember you love front porches. :-)

4. ShabbyChick says

It’s very cute! It’s also very small. My children always needed big spaces to run around and burn all that energy. Not to mention room to scatter every single toy that they owned! I can see this being a useful and cozy reading spot with an upholstered chair and ottoman….kid-sized, of course 😉

5. maddie says

This is an absolutely wonderful treasure for a child. The memories made in this playhouse will last a life time. Delightful……

6. Angela says

I had two of these growing up!!! One outside and one inside that had a “secret door” to the laundry room. Thanks for bringing back the memories for me!

Adorable! I want to go sit in there right now! When I was a girl, my dad made me a little playhouse (similar to the one at the end of this post), and I adored it.

8. Kim says

What a cute and fun place for a girl to play in. If I had one of these in my house, I would spend time in there.

9. Jano says

This is one of those extra touches that costs next to nothing when considered as a tiny part of the whole expense of the remodel; however, the dividends are great, measured by wonderful memories.

10. Jennah says

What a fantastic, creative space. Thank you for posting a Canadian reno blog! I am hooked! (no pun intended)

11. Jane says

Adorable. I’d have loved it as a kid. The only thing I’d possibly change would be to put a half door on the bottom of the entrance- for impromptu puppet shows or even a removable flower box there with artificial flowers ( instant garden). I guess you can tell that I’d have loved that space as a kid and I’d drag in some blankets and pillows or a little bean bag chair and hang out there all day. I love such cozy spaces. They make me feel snug and safe.

12. The Country Girl says

It’s another cute feature that is for looks only. Even a toddler would have trouble playing in that tiny space. A triumph of style over substance, too bad for the child.

• says

Actually, I’m surprised by how much my daughter does use it. She pretends its her restaurant and rearranges her play food in the buckets and shelf while she cooks up my order. And at the times I don’t find her snuggled on the pillow with a book and her little nightlight, she puts her dolls down there for a nap. I’d say style and substance are in a close race with this little nook :)

13. Maria says

Are we sure it’s not the naughty corner?

**kidding**

14. Autumn says

Julia!!

Hooked on Houses was my first House blog and it remains my one and only favorite!!
    THX for the hard work you must do to put one out everyday!!