A Sweet Little Playhouse Tucked Under the Stairs

by hookedonhouses on February 5, 2013

Playroom under the stairs Rambling Renovators

When I saw this adorable little play space and book nook that Jennifer and her husband created for their daughter Chloe under the stairs, I nearly squealed out loud. What young girl (or “older girl,” who might happen to be a mom, for that matter) wouldn’t love having her own little playhouse like this?

gray and white striped awning outside playhouse

Jen’s blog Rambling Renovators was one of the first I ever followed. Their basement has come a long way since they moved in. It was unfinished, and she debated what to do with that space under the stairs:

playroom unfinished basement before

I’m not sure I would have had the vision to look at that rough space and think, “Playhouse!” But they did. And I love everything about it, from the gray and white-striped awning over the door to the yellow and gray stencil inside.

Playhouse under stairs Rambling Renovators

I’d say Chloe is a lucky little girl. Visit Rambling Renovators for all the photos and information about the project!

P.S. If You’re Hooked on Playhouses:

yellow playhouse at Restyled Home

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Jenny@EvolutionofStyle February 5, 2013 at 8:40 am

That is the sweetest thing I’ve seen in a long time. I would have adored a little nook like that when I was a kid, and I’m guessing my daughter would be equally smitten with such a space!! Love it!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now February 5, 2013 at 8:59 am

OOOh, I love that!! My girls would want to spend all day in there. And, yep, I would probably play in there when they weren’t home. ;)

House Crazy Sarah February 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

So cute!! Under my stairs I have a coat/shoe corner but my kids and their little friends always use it as a hideout/playhouse! I guess there’s something about a small, cozy space that appeals to kids!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com February 5, 2013 at 9:54 am

Oh, how adorable!!! A-d-o-r-a-b-l-e! I love it!!!

Great post, Julia.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

PS: Drop by if you have a minute. I’m posting about a cottage that I think you’ll love. I remember you love front porches. :-)

ShabbyChick February 5, 2013 at 10:19 am

It’s very cute! It’s also very small. My children always needed big spaces to run around and burn all that energy. Not to mention room to scatter every single toy that they owned! I can see this being a useful and cozy reading spot with an upholstered chair and ottoman….kid-sized, of course ;)

maddie February 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

This is an absolutely wonderful treasure for a child. The memories made in this playhouse will last a life time. Delightful……

Melissa @ The Inspired Room February 5, 2013 at 11:26 am

So cute!!!

Angela February 5, 2013 at 11:34 am

I had two of these growing up!!! One outside and one inside that had a “secret door” to the laundry room. Thanks for bringing back the memories for me!

Jen February 5, 2013 at 11:42 am

How adoreble is that look like great fun

maryrose February 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Adorable! I want to go sit in there right now! When I was a girl, my dad made me a little playhouse (similar to the one at the end of this post), and I adored it.

Jane Susan February 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I want to live there.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators February 5, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks so much for featuring our little playhouse Julia! It was a fun space to put together and luckily Chloe loves playing in it too.

Kim February 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm

What a cute and fun place for a girl to play in. If I had one of these in my house, I would spend time in there.

Jano February 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm

This is one of those extra touches that costs next to nothing when considered as a tiny part of the whole expense of the remodel; however, the dividends are great, measured by wonderful memories.

Rebecca@MidCenturyModernRemodel February 5, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Any little girl would love that cute little space tucked away. Very clever. My mom and dad created a broom closet under their stairs. :)

Jennah February 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

What a fantastic, creative space. Thank you for posting a Canadian reno blog! I am hooked! (no pun intended)

Jane February 6, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Adorable. I’d have loved it as a kid. The only thing I’d possibly change would be to put a half door on the bottom of the entrance- for impromptu puppet shows or even a removable flower box there with artificial flowers ( instant garden). I guess you can tell that I’d have loved that space as a kid and I’d drag in some blankets and pillows or a little bean bag chair and hang out there all day. I love such cozy spaces. They make me feel snug and safe.

The Country Girl February 7, 2013 at 12:30 am

It’s another cute feature that is for looks only. Even a toddler would have trouble playing in that tiny space. A triumph of style over substance, too bad for the child.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators February 7, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Actually, I’m surprised by how much my daughter does use it. She pretends its her restaurant and rearranges her play food in the buckets and shelf while she cooks up my order. And at the times I don’t find her snuggled on the pillow with a book and her little nightlight, she puts her dolls down there for a nap. I’d say style and substance are in a close race with this little nook :)

Maria February 7, 2013 at 1:38 am

Are we sure it’s not the naughty corner?

**kidding**

Autumn February 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Julia!!

Hooked on Houses was my first House blog and it remains my one and only favorite!!
THX for the hard work you must do to put one out everyday!!

hookedonhouses February 10, 2013 at 10:51 am

That’s so nice! Thanks, Autumn. :)

Kendra April 22, 2013 at 6:01 pm

This is a child’s dream.

{ 3 trackbacks }