Funny Real Estate: A (Cute) Baby in the House

by hookedonhouses on December 27, 2012

Well, so far we have seen real estate listing photos that follow an enthusiastic doll, a trail of limes, flowers in vases, and even a baby bear. But this is the first time I saw an actual baby give a house tour. At first I thought the agent’s baby must have just crawled into the shot. But it quickly became clear that this was a cute-baby ploy to sell an empty house. Take a look:

With adorable posing like this, I think the baby deserves a percentage of the commission when the house sells…

There he goes…

How long has this house been on the market? Because in the next photo, the baby looks like he has grown up a bit… ;-)

Would a cute baby work to sell you a house? It’s memorable, at least–although I can’t say I noticed much about the house itself. Thanks to Kristen for telling me about this listing in Vancouver, where you can see more of the baby (and the house!).

I needed a laugh today because our Christmas week has kind of been a wash-out, thanks to the flu. We’re supposed to be in Indiana right now with Dave’s family but we’re waiting for Lily to feel better first, poor girl. Here’s hoping we can still salvage some of it. Wish us luck! -Julia

More Funny Follow-Along Real Estate Listings:

Pat December 27, 2012 at 10:14 am

Aww, I’m so sorry to hear Lily isn’t feeling well, Praying she is better soon!
As for this listing,I never tire of looking at babies, but I didn’t notice the house very much because of it! LOL!

Christina from Dallas December 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

So sorry Lily is sick on Christmas week. But it will probably be a Christmas she will remember forever as, “remember mom the year I had the flu on Christmas?” That baby is so cute! Guess they didn’t have the money to stage the house so the baby was a stand in lol!

Kelly - Talk of the House December 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

Oh no! How awful to be sick at Christmas, but even more awful to have that nasty flu that seems to be going around everywhere. I hope everyone gets well quickly. Now about that baby…hilarious!! I don’t believe I have ever seen that used for a real estate listing. Guess some folks will try anything to make a sale.
Here’s to a happy and healthy new year for you all!

Cindy December 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm

How awful! Our little one has been sick, too, so we understand your pain! I hope your daughter feels well quickly and you get to salvage at least some of your family time!

House Crazy Sarah December 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm

The baby in the listing photos made an otherwise boring house fun to look at! If I was flipping through listings, the only thing about this one to catch my eye would be the baby. So I guess the listng agent’s ploy was successful.

Sheryl December 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Who in their right mind would leave a baby on the counter then step away to take a photo? I don’t find that funny or cute at all.

The others . . . I’m a bit distracted about the baby on the counter thing.

Spring December 29, 2012 at 1:13 pm

This was my thought, too.

Edith December 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Me too. All I could think about was ‘soft baby + hard tile’. Yikes.

Cindy W December 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Sheryl, I was about to mention that same thing. Not very safe.

hookedonhouses December 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Definitely not. It’s a “don’t try this at home” moment, for sure.

ShabbyChick December 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm

So sorry to hear you were sick over Christmas! I have been sick for nearly a week, too. That last photo is very strange, I wonder if it’s the same child??? Have a good week/weekend and safe travels to Indiana. Happy New Year! ;)

hookedonhouses December 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I think it must be his big brother. That’s the story I made up for it, anyway! :-)

Kelly December 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I can so relate to having kids sick at Christmas…my son threw up in the bushes of a fancy restaurant this Christmas Eve (after feeling awful thru the meal), and that was that for our Christmas plans. We still haven’t visited family, either. :-(

hookedonhouses December 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Oh, no!! So sorry to hear that, Kelly. I feel for you! :-(

Kate December 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Sick kids make things not fun. Hopefully better soon.
Lately when I click on your home page I immediatly get redirected to some sort of advertising spammy site. I have to close the window and try again. I dont know if its your site or something on my computer, but it dosent happen at any other site… boo.

hookedonhouses December 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I talked to my husband Dave who works with computers and he says to clear your cache. Sounds like you might have picked something up along the way. We were having issues with a rogue ad a week ago that we blocked, so it shouldn’t be causing any more problems, but you never know. Sorry about that, Kate!

CCJ December 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm

The adorable baby is also a good way of showing the scale of the house, too- ever seen those real estate photos where you can’t tell how small or large the rooms are because they’re empty? Hate that.

:-) CCJ

hookedonhouses December 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I hadn’t thought about that! Good point about the scale. It really is hard to sell an empty house.

Anne December 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm

When I first saw this I thought WOW, a house at this price in Vancouver (British Columbia) then realized it was Washington State. A house like this would sell for about 4 to 5X this price in VA Canada. The baby is very sweet and does provide some emphasis re: scale. I hope your family is better soon Julia…..the flu is the pits, especially on a holiday :(

real estate virtual assistant December 28, 2012 at 1:42 am

I’m so sorry to hear Lily isn’t feeling well and i am praying for Lilly to better soon. Cute baby is showing in snaps. Baby is so cute so that i have not concentrate to seen a house.

Sandy December 28, 2012 at 6:13 am

Perfect example of taking one’s view away from a house. After tracking the baby I went back and looked at the house. Sorry, but appears someone flipped this. Very cheap stick on tiles, rubber coving and those thin floor trims. Both the tubs are acrylic, cheap fixtures. And how the heck do you climb into the big tub without a step? Forget the baby on the sink, he is going to crawl over to the tub and take a dangerous dive. I couldn’t live with the carpet either. Maybe their whole intent was to take away from what was done.

Know you will get Lily well and comfortable. Always feel bad when a little one is miserable. Are you having the storms in the area? Perhaps a blessing in keeping you off the roads and safe at home.

hookedonhouses December 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks, Sandy. We did get some snow that would have made it more difficult to drive anyway.

Alie B January 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm

The baby is adorable! Hopefully he helped sell the house! :-)

Sorry to hear there was illness in your home this season. I was terribly ill as well. Family had travelled all the way from New Orleans to be with us (we’re Canadian) so I had to suck it up, but it wasn’t a lot of fun. We humans really are subject to our health, aren’t we? On a more positive note, Happy New Year! I look forward to another year of wonderful posts from my favourite blogger! Blessings to you and yours. xo

{ 5 trackbacks }