5 Ways Dead Animals Can Kill a Real Estate Listing

by hookedonhouses on May 15, 2012

#1. I don’t know about you, but the only dead bird I want to see in my kitchen is a chicken.

#2. This large living room in a $1.2 million house in Nevada has space for everything…except maybe people.

#3. The reader who submitted this photo calls it “Bambi’s House of Horrors.”

#4. When I can’t fall asleep, I’d rather count sheep.

#5. I just lost my appetite.

Thanks to the readers who submitted these–Jennifer, Cindy, and Scott. If you see something unusual in the real estate listings, send it to me!

More Bad Real Estate Photos:

Laura May 15, 2012 at 7:19 am

Hilarious! These people must not actually want to sell their houses.

bermudaonion (Kathy) May 15, 2012 at 7:25 am

Oh my gosh, do they actually have stuffed birds hanging from the ceiling in the top photo? That is so disturbing.

Jackie May 15, 2012 at 7:26 am

Ewww! Especially in the kitchen! Several years ago, the house next door to me didn’t sell for over a year and a half and it was a great house. I think it was because of all the stuffed animals in the den. It finally sold, though, but it wasn’t quite as bad as these.

Farmeress May 15, 2012 at 7:38 am

ARGH! Clearly this house did not invest in staging…unless Alfred Hitchcock is alive and well after all!

Mel Mel May 15, 2012 at 7:40 am

Makes me really really sad…. especially the last photo – in the right lower corner- that appears to be a young critter of some kind. ::sigh::

Rebecca May 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

I saw that too. Boo.

Mandy May 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

This is hysterical and super creepy at the same time! I agree with Laura … I don’t think these people are trying too hard to sell their houses. First time commenter, but faithful reader … look forward to your posts every morning.

hookedonhouses May 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thanks, Mandy, that’s nice to hear! :-)

Haydee May 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

I guess there’s no accounting for taste…(makes me sad on a couple of levels..)

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen May 15, 2012 at 8:02 am

There’s just no accounting for lack of taste!!

Patty May 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

My house, my rules!

Cindy May 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

That is hilarious! My sister-in-law had to gently suggest to her husband, as they were selling their house recently, that perhaps some of his hunting trophies should maybe be put away while they were staging. I think he half-agreed, so perhaps the turkey-feather fan is gone, but the deer heads are still in living room…

Christina from Dallas May 15, 2012 at 8:21 am

I can’t believe the real estate agent did not tell them to remove the animals. These days they tell you to remove personal photos and personal collections so your house dosen’t seem to personalized. If this dosen’t fit that catagory I don’t know what does!! On that show “Celebrity House Hunters”, Corey Feldman wouldn’t even step on a throw rug that was a dead “something or other” and I think he passed on the house because of it.

Baileywife May 15, 2012 at 8:21 am

oh my…maybe all the deer heads that USED to be in my living room weren’t so bad after all…..still glad that I made, I mean politely asked, my dear husband to take them downstairs for a bit. (forever). I did let him keep ONE there, and it actually looks pretty (kinda, I hAVE to compromise here if I want to stay married:)
I hope to post my new and improved living space soon!!!
~Kim

ShabbyChick May 15, 2012 at 8:58 am

Disgusting.

Melanie Malaviya May 16, 2012 at 8:03 am

AGREED!!

Rebecca May 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

Absolutely.

Cheryl Stoy May 15, 2012 at 9:10 am

It took me forever to get past the first picture…I was laughing so hard I was crying! . You could almost caption it “Design By Hunters Inc…You shoot ‘em and we stage ‘em!”

Tell me they didn’t raise kids in that environment…I can just see a Christmas tree complete with antlers and wings.

I am so glad there wasn’t a bathroom photo, can you imagine? And I shudder to think what graces the backyard….

Pat May 15, 2012 at 9:20 am

A bit of “hobby” overkill?

Mary Beale May 15, 2012 at 9:25 am

Absolutely priceless…I laughed so hard I cried…what are people thinking? Apparently, not much!

Parnassus May 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

I have a “one taxidermy limit” rule which I must now amend to “one taxidermy, but not too tasteless or horrific”. I can’t decide which is the worst of these–each is egregious in its own way.

Jenny May 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

That is so nasty!

Nicolle May 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

Kurt Vonnegut brought us Slaughterhouse 5. These homeowners brought us Slaughterhouse 6-10. Yuck!

Cindy May 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yuck. Just…yuck.

Karen May 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

I think excesses of any kind can kill the deal. Taxidermy is such a personal issue and off-putting to some, if I were selling a house I’d definitely store any taxidermy. In the right home, done without excess I personally like the look. One or two trophies in the right context is a club look I enjoy.
Karen

Jessica May 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

Haha That is pretty much of a turn off to buyers, I would say. It’s funny because I was just looking at some listings in my home town, and a few photos had a deer head here and there, but nothing compared to these listings! I can overlook one or two, but those made me shudder. Ha

Christy May 15, 2012 at 10:51 am

I work in a building that has stuffed animals all around. At Christmas they even put Santa hats on them. I always have to look down at my feet when walking in the door. Those poor animals deserved so much more of an after life than what they got.

I don’t think I’d even consider a house like this. I know the owners will take them with them in the move, but, to me, and this is a total generalization I know, the house just reads “DIRTY!!!”. And no amount of my OCD scrubbing will ever remove all the filth.

Marilyn May 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

I am in shock! I would take one look from the front door, turn and run!

karen May 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm

thank goodness for blurry photography — blech!!

Karen May 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Well the first one has clearly taken the trend of “Putting a Bird on It” to excess! As for the others…Ugh!

Diane May 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Advertising the killing of so many beautiful animals…it truely is a house of horrors!

Sherry Ellis May 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Wow! That is serious overkill on the stuffed animals!

Mary May 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

absolutely hideous!!!!
Mary x

Kim May 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm

1.It looks like a flock of birds flew into the kitchen.
2.The second picture reminds me of the movie Jumanji when the stampede bursts through the house.
3.If I worked on my computer in that third photo, I would probably start imagining the animals coming to life.
4.I know this sounds terrible, but the fourth photo reminds me of the scene in Bambi when the Quail flies up into the sky and gets shot.
5.As for that last photo, can you imagine inviting guests over to eat? They would lose their appetite.

Amy @ The Button Casa May 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm

These posts always make me feel better about my own house :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Ooooh my. That is all.

anna see May 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

wow, julia, those are doozies!

Jano May 15, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Just 5 ways? I counted 66, and possibly 67 if you consider the frightfully ugly stuffed (not taxidermied) turtle on the bed in #4.

Voluptuous Vegan May 16, 2012 at 8:37 am

As a macrobiotic-six-cat-owning-animal resucing volunteer-vegan, I find this house very upsetting!!!

Rebecca May 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

What in the world are they thinking? I have got to believe people come over to their house and just shake their heads. I can’t believe even hunters would really like to live with that much dead stuff (excuse the pun) around them.

Marcela May 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

This is incredible. I wonder what the fascination is with having all those stuffed animals everywhere..

Robin@DTG May 16, 2012 at 9:00 am

Yucky!

Kelly May 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Freaky! Freaking hilarious! Going to have to share this! haha

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet May 18, 2012 at 11:21 am

SOOOOOOOOOOO CREEEEEEEEPPPPPPPYYYYYYY.

Sharon May 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

When we were looking for homes we also looked at one with many animals (stuffed) sitting and hanging around. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough!

Sarah @ housecrazy May 21, 2012 at 1:35 pm

oh my gosh. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I like weird decorating and funky, off-beat stuff. But decaying animal bodies in my house, or any house, NO THANKS!!!

Maria May 22, 2012 at 2:40 am

“Bambi’s House of Horrors.” Made me burst out laughing!

This reminds me of a friend’s house when I was a kid. I’ll never forget staring up at a horror that use to be a wild boar, and having it stare back at us while eating at the table – then my friend’s dad, thinking it was funny, told me we were eating said wild boar. Not funny.

joe faust August 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Why do they kill all the animals?

Justin November 25, 2012 at 7:50 am

I think you guys are missing the point. I would stage my house exactly like this as a courtesy to my neighbors — and they would do the same for me. The last thing any of us want is some bleeding heart carpetbagging liberal moving into our neighborhood. Fortunately, with how the market has turned, those types tend to not have the resources to buy-in that they used to.

{ 4 trackbacks }