Jack Hanna’s Cozy Log Cabin in Montana

Jack-Hannas-cozy log-cabin-in-Montana

This charming, 760 square-foot log cabin belongs to famous animal expert and zookeeper Jack Hanna. It was named Elk Cabin because it sits on an old elk farm in Montana, just outside Bigfork, but since he shares this secluded retreat with his wife Suzi, they call it their “Honeymoon Suite.”

I love the front porch. I’d be sitting right here in this rocking chair right now if I could!

They didn’t use any drywall in the cabin. Most of it was built with 8″ x 12″ white pine logs from Idaho.

They wanted the cabin to look old and authentic but to have all of the comforts of home, too. Hanna’s friend and homebuilder Randy Baker says, “We hid the TV, refrigerator, dishwasher and all the electrical work behind custom panels designed to match the cabinetry.”

The cabin is small and simple, with only a living room, kitchen, bed loft and bath. (Floorplan here.)

We like renting log cabins for family vacations. There’s just something about them that’s cozy and relaxing. One like this brings out the Little House on the Prairie fantasies of my youth… :)

You can learn more about Jack Hanna and what he’s up to on his website. Read more about the cabin and see the rest of the photos by Heidi Long in the article by Jessica Bizik at Log Cabin Living. (Thanks to Brenda for telling me about it!)

Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more, including…

Brooke Shields buys house in Hamptons

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart's House
Harrison Ford Movie star Harrison Ford and "Brothers and Sisters" actress Calista Flockhart started dating in 2002, a year after she adopted her son Liam.…
1928-Tudor-decorated-for-Christmas-Traditional-Home
I have always had a weakness for Tudors. We had quite a few in the town I grew up in and my parents looked at…

Comments

Love it! This is exactly the size and type of home my husband I want to put on our property. I wish there was a picture of the bedroom.

2. Sandy B. says

I love log cabins but my friend owns one and she says “never again.” I guess there’s so much continual maintenance involved and it’s quite expensive.

3. Tete Dennis says

I tried both links and got a warning about severe malware on both.

• says

That’s scary. I didn’t have any problems with them when I was working on this post. Just checked again and McAfee is giving me the “all-clear” sign. They don’t even have any outside ads on it that I can see. Strange!

Don’t think I better show this to my husband. It is his dream to move to the mountains in Montana ever since he took a motorcycle trip there. He might just put a for sale sign in the front yard if he sees this…lol.

Well, isn’t that the perfect little log cabin in the woods?! Darling and well-dressed for photos. Love the lighting in the bathroom!

6. Kim says

What a perfect cabin in the woods. Just think about what this place looks like when it’s snows. I bet it’s beautiful. If I had a cabin and scenery like this, I would spend lots of time here.

My dream is to have a cabin in McCall Idaho and if I did, this would be the kind of cabin I would build.

7. iloucat says

J’aime beaucoup .C’est tre chaleureux.Cela donne envie de traverser l’atlantique et de venir s’installer dans cette maison

8. Jane says

It’s just adorable. Love the slate sink. It would be a nice place to snuggle in for the winter.

9. Nita says

Maintenance could be dusting the tops of every one of those horizontal bars on the walls!!! I love this cabin but a bit too dark for me.

10. Wendy says

I love that house. I’d better, because it looks an awful lot like my house, which is an old stone and log cabin with a creek running through the property and under the house. I do love this house and it’s picture perfect setting, but the irony is that my life-long dream has been to live in a rambling old Victorian. Gotta admit it’s a wonderful place to raise a family. County your blessings and move on, eh?

11. Wendy says

Question: can anyone figure out what’s going on with that stuff going around the fireplace. I’m puzzled.

12. Rachel says

oh my gosh!!!! i love this!!! i think this just made the list for my dream cabin! oh man i can’t stop looking at that first picture.

13. Joyce Michelin says

Does anyone know about one they might own on/in the side of a mountain somewhere? It seems to me I saw a show done on it once, and it was stunning, but can’t find any whisper of it anywhere. I’m sure it was Hanna’s – or thought it was. I’m beginning to wonder if I dreamed the whole thing.

• says

Jack Hanna lives in Flathead Lake near my dad and I’s old house. His big house on the lake is far more stunning than this one and what’s cool for me to know is that this house is around the big house as well. As a kid I would walk past this house always wondering who lived there b/c it was sooooo perfect!

I knew he was my neighbor at the time, I just didn’t know he owned 2 houses on the street I lived on.

14. Su says

wow! love how simple everything is inside…just like the industrial revolution never happened!
    I’m smitten by their ‘honeymoon’ love…

15. Lisa Corbett says

Jack Hannah is right behind Jane Goodall on my ” I want to be this person!!” list. Now that I see Jack’s house…he might have trumped sweet Jane! I’m an Idahoan and have stayed in my share of cabins but this one looks like it doesn’t have loose chinking and might be air tight. I would be completely content to live in a place like that. wow.

I actually lived down the street from this house in Bigfork, Montana! I lived on the same street of this house. I saw this house back when I was 11 in 1998. And YES, it’s just as pretty in person. He also has a house lake down the road from this one as well. :)

I was LUCKY to be this guys neighbor!

I meant to say, he has another house down the road from this cabin that’s like 4 stories and on Flathead Lake.

18. Carolyn says

We have a bit bigger cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC (2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths) with similar square hand-hewn logs and dovetail corners and front porch (we have a laurel railing from shrubs on the property cleared for the house). We absolutely love it and hope to retire there ere long. As for maintenance, you do have to re-seal the logs every 5 – 7 years and check the caulking, but you’d have the same thing if you had a wood sided house that you’d have to paint (actually less, no scraping old paint off). With a smallish cabin, it’s not that big of a deal, but I can imagine some of those huge lodge style homes would be a maintenance nightmare. There’s nothing like the warmth and solidity the logs and beams give, and the pine smell is wonderful (ours hasn’t worn off in nearly 8 years). I love the kitchen sink and bathtub shown here. Definitely going in my design file. Thanks for including a log cabin.

19. Vince Elliot says

My dream home to perfection! How were you able to use the pictures without copyright infringement? I’m asking because I’d like to find out how I can post them on my site, too. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

• says

Hi Vince! On the Internet, the accepted rule is that if you use another site’s photos, you always give them credit back with a mention and a link. (And I never use all of their photos–I send people over to see the rest.) If they are personal photos someone has taken on a blog or something, I always ask permission first. It’s also good to give credit to the photographer if you know who he/she is. Hope that helps!

• Vince Elliot says

It does and thank you so much. I had fun browsing your blog today!

• Vince Elliot says

Since you made my day with this article, I wanted to share something with you. I did a little checking on the photographer. Her name is Heidi Long and her work is stunning! Here’s a link to her, and, I believe, her husband’s, photography website called Longview’s Studios. http://www.longviews.com/#mi=2&pt=0&pi=3&s=0&p=-1&a=0&at=0 At the top, just click on HEIDI’S PORTFOLIO. Then click on ARCHITECTURE and ARCHITECTURE TOO to see some stunning photography of more log homes.

• Vince Elliot says

You’re welcome. I’m a bit of a house enthusiast myself. I love log homes, cottages, Victorians, older homes like “The Waltons” (with huge porches), and unique looking homes. The type that, if you were fortunate enough to see the inside of, would have lots of nooks and crannies, arches, slanted ceilings and uniquely shaped spaces. Like I said, I’m starting a simple blog (not about houses) and I’ll be taking my own photos. Since some of those photos will be of houses, I’d be happy to send them to you. Even if you just look at them and delete them. If you would like to use them for anything, I’m fine with that, too. I ask for nothing in return. I just love running into other house enthusiasts! Have a wonderful 4th of July!