Funny Photo of the Week: The Gray Thing on the Couch

by hookedonhouses on May 17, 2011

A reader named Amanda says she was looking at this listing for a duplex rental in Alberta recently and thought the place looked pretty nice. But when she got to this photo, she wondered, “What’s that gray thing they left on the couch?” It seemed a little odd.

Then she clicked to the next photo in the slideshow and realized…

…that’s what it is!

I have a teenager and know how hard it can be to get them to stop playing in the middle of a video game. Apparently the real estate agent got tired of waiting for this kid’s game to end.

Thanks to Amanda for this one. If you find something unusual in the real estate listings, send it to me. I choose the best/worst to feature each week.

Click Here to See More Funny Photos from the Real Estate Listings!

Luciane at Homebunch.com May 17, 2011 at 6:42 am

Ha! This is so FUNNY!

How can you just stay there while taking a picture for a listing? :-)

Have a great day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse May 17, 2011 at 6:46 am

Gosh – this is too funny. Guy must have been in “the zone” not to notice photos being taken. Ahhh, young-uns.

Dianne May 17, 2011 at 7:14 am

This is funny…we looked at a house once that we couldn’t go in one bedroom because the teenager was sleeping in there…

Nancy D. May 17, 2011 at 7:56 am

Apparently the agent didn’t want the sale. Neither did the seller because the house is a mess.

Liz@VioletPosy May 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

LOL! That’s hilarious! :)

Kathy Strader May 17, 2011 at 8:06 am

When will sellers start demanding excellent MLS pics? When will agents stop taking bad MLS pics? Sometimes Sellers refuse to do anything to improve the odds of selling their house. In those cases, agents should move on and not take the listing.

Susan May 17, 2011 at 8:10 am

I thought it was a round throw pillow in the first picture! Wait a minute…it moved!
Best,
Susan

Alison May 17, 2011 at 8:58 am

Did you see the recent episode of “Property Brothers” (?) on HGTV where they were showing a house and there was someone sleeping in it?

Karena May 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

Ha!! That is too funny Julia. Talk about couch potato! I would have rolled him right over and off the sofa!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

Carolee May 17, 2011 at 9:49 am

Nice! At first I thought I was supposed to be looking at the range….what’s with the missing drawer/cover on the bottom?!? That just adds to the charm :)

Pat May 17, 2011 at 9:49 am

I wonder if he was even asked to move or the agent just figured, why not?, the rest of the house isn’t looking to good either!.
People….get off the complacency train!

andover May 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

Seems like the agent could have taken the photo without catching the leg in the first photo and worked around the lounging teenager in the second. Seems like there we’re two lazy people in the room.

Mary May 17, 2011 at 10:42 am

That is so funny! you would think he might of got of the sofa to help his house sell, maybe he doesn’t want to move!!
Mary

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

Oh, my! Even if the agent had waited for the game to be over, it still wouldn’t have been a great shot. The clutter in the photo would be a big turn-off for me. Funny!!!

Bre May 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm

HAHA! I knew it was a knee, that’s too funny. Guys and their video games. I will never understand it. It does look a bit like a round throw pillow too…

Lizzy May 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Maybe the kid comes with the house ;)

Nancy Hood May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

bahahaha that would NOT have been MY teenager, not if he wanted to live after the realtor left LOL LOL

Kim May 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm

That’s too funny. Looking at the first picture, I had no idea what that thing was on the couch. Now it all makes sense. Why agents put with homes like these, I will never understand.

Nathan May 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Teenager? Maybe it was a grown man, haha. A friend was recently buying a house and I was looking at houses with her and one was being foreclosed and the men that lived there refused to leave. When she called the agent to schedule an appointment, the bank’s (?) agent said, “Go anytime but I don’t know whether they’ll open the door and let you in.” I couldn’t believe people acted like that.

Nicole Mulvany May 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Well, if the teen on the couch doesn’t sell this house…..maybe showing the over sized television with cords in every direction will. :)

Don Corson May 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm

When it comes to listing photos, many times ‘less is more’. This is one of those cases…the agent COULD have taken a closer photo of just the fireplace, and cropped out the TV, and everything else. Just a thought.

kthnxbye May 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I didn’t have to guess – I knew *exactly* what that was. (Why, yes, I do have three boys, two in high school and one in college, how did you know?)

Lesley @ TheDesignFile May 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm

This is hilarious. Seriously! How did the agent not slap this kid? Unbelievable.

shabbychick May 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm

And what about those wires around the television? Sheesh. People really need to take marketing a house for sale seriously. Most of the MLS photos you have shown us are such a joke, the realtors who take these pictures need to be fired, and sensible realtors need to refuse to work with such lazy sellers. I speak from experience, my husband was a Broker/Owner for 14 years…..people are sickos.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish May 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Snort! I love it!!!

Jenny May 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm

LOL, that is so funny! I wonder what his parents thought of that?

Susan May 17, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Too funny! Yep, kids never want to stop a game…no matter what!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... May 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

OMG
LOL
Can they not move the teen long enough?

Hamden Funeral Homes May 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm

haha that is a pretty funny photo. It looks like he’s playing one of the call of duty games, so I doubt he even realizes what’s going on around him.

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating May 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm

The kitchen/dining area look fairly ready, except for the missing range drawer (whaaa??). But the living room/stairway/doorway to basement photo is just a mess. Stuff everywhere (including the video game player), cords, vacuum out. It’s like the owner was at work and asked the teenage son to let the photographer in, and the photographer wasn’t interested in telling the kid to pick up. Bleh.

Linda July 3, 2011 at 8:27 am

It tells you how unserious the home owner is about selling the house. The agent should have been fired. Also the kid could use a swift kick in the pants (metaphoric of course).

Katie August 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I find the placement of the couch the most strange. If you were sitting properly on it you would not see the tv at all.

Stage It Up January 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

That’s what Photoshop is for.