Rob Lowe’s Cozy Beach House

by hookedonhouses on May 3, 2011

Did you happen to see Rob Lowe on “Oprah” last week, talking about his new autobiography, The Stories I Only Tell My Friends? I tuned in because I’m reading the book right now and was interested in what he had to say about it.

I was excited when he gave a tour of both his main home in Santa Barbara (which has been featured in Architectural Digest) and their cozy beach house, which is only 18 feet wide.

For those of you who missed it, here are a few screenshots I took during the show:

He says things are kept very casual in the beach house because they have kids and dogs and there’s always sand on the floor.

He worked on his book in this room, writing it all out by hand:

In the master bedroom, Rob says, the sound of the ocean outside their window at night puts them right to sleep:

As nice as their main house is, I’d take this cozy beach house any day. Love it! You can watch the video tour on Oprah.com.

Click Here to See More Celebrity Houses!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad May 3, 2011 at 7:18 am

I love that diamond glass window – what do you call that, anyway? I know that is a more common type of window/glass in other parts of the country (not where I live in Georgia!). Thanks, Julia!
-Trish

Beverly from Montreal May 3, 2011 at 7:42 am

I’m with you, Julia, the beach house wins, hands down. A dream location and a cozy & casual home in which to enjoy it.

Not sure about Oprah’s new hairstyle, one way or the other.

Melinda May 3, 2011 at 7:43 am

Great “real” house! I’d live there in a heartbeat…does Rob come with it?

Louis Charles Furr April 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

He might, but his ridiculous hairpiece won’t, bwhahaha!!! Don’t believe me? Google it!

Luciane at Homebunch.com May 3, 2011 at 7:44 am

I saw it on Oprah… Love it!!!

Have a Happy Day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Sally May 3, 2011 at 8:14 am

LOVED this show. Doesn’t Rob Lowe seem like the NICEST human being? — so down to earth and real. Loved the beach house! — and actually like Oprah’s hair! It’s a refreshing change, I think — or was it a wig?

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

omg gorgeous!!!!

….the house is too. ;)

Mary May 3, 2011 at 8:30 am

What a lovely house – lucky him, nice he seems relaxed about his kids!
Have a great day
Mary

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints May 3, 2011 at 8:33 am

i love celebrity home tours. might have to watch that video. thanks for a great post as always julia:)

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

Now I wish I hadn’t deleted that episode…but I was trying to make DVR room for important things like Glee and Grey’s Anatomy. I don’t know what I was thinking b/c that beach house is awesome! He is so very very good looking.

Yanet of 3 Sun Kissed Boys May 3, 2011 at 8:39 am

Sand on the floor? Nope. Don’t believe it.

Ricki Jill Treleaven May 3, 2011 at 9:15 am

I missed this episode. I need to watch the video. Rob was on Good Morning America this morning. How is the book so far, Julia? I might need to add it to my TBR pile ;P

Vanessa@Decor Happy May 3, 2011 at 9:51 am

When I saw it on Oprah, I thought “I wonder if Julia has posted about this?” because I really liked it. Always been a big Rob Lowe fan -he had a rocky past but is living the dream now.

Vanessa@Decor Happy May 3, 2011 at 9:51 am

Stephanie (Decor Dreams) May 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

I had a HUGE crush on him in the 80’s and he keeps getting better and better looking year after year. How is this possible? And he truly IS the nicest person on the planet. When he came to town to film a movie, my BIL was his kids’ pediatrician. The whole family is just precious.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip May 3, 2011 at 10:03 am

WOW!! GORGEOUS HOUSE!! =)

Tiffany S. May 3, 2011 at 10:07 am

I was sorta watching b/c a friend called, and I felt too silly saying “Can I call you back? I’m watching Rob Lowe on Oprah!”

I’m confused by Oprah’s hair unless they’re airing episodes out of sequence. Or maybe it’s a wig. Anyway, I’m not a fan of that style on her, but, then again, this blog isn’t Hooked on Hairstyles now is it? :)

Bre May 3, 2011 at 10:43 am

I would love to own a cozy, little beach house like this. The sound of the ocean waves and the scent of salt water on the breeze, it would be heaven! How is the book so far? I saw it in the book store, debated it for a bit, then put it back. Any good stories from the Brat Pack?

P.S. Oprah’s hair style is not my favorite, it kind of reminds me of Gayle’s hair come to think of it.

hookedonhouses May 3, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’ve only read a couple of chapters, but so far it’s better than I expected. I love hearing the behind-the-scenes stories in books like these, and he’s a pretty good writer!

Holley May 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I downloaded a sample on my nook. Haven’t started it yet because I’m in the middle of another book.

Genevieve Ferraro May 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Well, you know I’m always going to like the small, cozy and beautiful beach house best. Too bad beach houses don’t come without the main house!

As for Rob, he was a big crush of mine in the 80’s. And he keeps looking better and better. Why doesn’t that happen for me? Anyone know of a good plastic surgeon?

jennie w. May 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I really like Rob Lowe but I also really don’t like Rob Lowe.

Is the book any good?

Kim May 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Rob Lowe’s big house is nice, but I would take the beach house over it anyday. I love how cozy the beach house is and I would love to fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean.

I don’t watch Oprah anymore so I didn’t catch yesterday’s episode.

Thanks for sharing this with us Julia! Have a nice day!

Nita May 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I don’t watch Oprah, but he was on The View, which I always try to avoid, this morning. That house seems pinched for room especially since he has kids. I saw your pic of Oprah’s hair and I like it. I want Chelsea what’s her name’s hair on Dancing With the Stars. She is that young Disney star and adorable.

Pat May 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Looks like Rob is doing OK for himself!
I’d take either place!

Holley May 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Love the large stone fireplace.

And I am amused that he has the same body language in both photos.

belledame May 3, 2011 at 8:23 pm

can’t say i love the beige. i did like the episode years back where oprah took a camera crew out to randomly interview her next door neighbor and it turned out to be rob lowe. he was so surprised she was at the gate and he ran out and gave her a tour of his home. that was nuts. does oprah do anything without a camera crew?

KN May 3, 2011 at 10:01 pm

“…the sound of the ocean outside their window at night puts them right to sleep” — Oh yes please! A beach house in a nice, picturesque location is hands down something I’d love to have.

Nita@ModVintageLife.com May 4, 2011 at 4:12 am

I actually did see this Oprah episode. I loved both houses. I’d seen the big one before of course. But LOVED the beach house. I was happy to hear that you are reading his book now because I felt like such a dork for ordering it off Amazon while the show was on. It has not arrived yet but I will be reading it as soon as it does. Now I don’t feel so bad that I couldn’t resist it if you couldn’t either. But then I read the book Alec Baldwin wrote about his divorce and enjoyed it too! ha!

laney May 4, 2011 at 6:10 am

…i left oprah long long ago…

Susan May 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

The beach is a place I could call home . . . with or without Rob Lowe :)

Regarding Oprah’s new hair, not a fan of the new style but I certainly love her.

Ami May 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I don’t watch Oprah every day and just happen to catch this one. Now, I won’t delete it because I love his house! Totally agree about the beach house. Was my favorite, too. I should have known you’d have a post on it. Can always count on you! Thanks!

cécile delouvrier May 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Wonderful houses: the huge one is simply amazing maybe too amazing, it’s a dream house and simply out of reach. The beach house is extremely cute and looks cosy and I would be less scared alone at night in that one. Both are perfect and with Rob Lowe inside…

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... May 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I love the windows.

Angie June 11, 2011 at 12:38 am

“P.S. What in the world happened to Oprah’s hair? Did you see her new bob on the show?”

Do you mean, why didn’t she stitch extensions in her hair to meet society’s standards of what women’s hair should look like? Long and straighten? I am also African-American and feel like I must “maintain” my hair in order to feel accepted in the work place. We straighten and add length to our hair in order for women like you to not make comments like, “what happened to your hair” when it is in its natural state. Even though her hair is still straighten through either chemical or thermal treatment, the fact that it isn’t long still draws this kind of reaction. I understand this is your blog and I actually enjoyed reading this post until this comment.

hookedonhouses June 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

Oprah insists she doesn’t use extensions and that the long hair is her own. Did anyone see the Chris Rock show when she talked about it? She seemed so proud of her naturally long hair that I was surprised when she cut it. Turns out the bob was just a wig and just for a couple of shows.

Sorry I offended you–I was just surprised that her hair looked so different!

KM June 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

Now I can go delete this, because I saw this beach house on Oprah and loved it so much, I kept going back and looking at it. Great minds think a like!

{ 1 trackback }