This House in Las Vegas Needs a (Wallpaper) Stripper

by hookedonhouses on February 7, 2011

House of Wallpaper-foyer

Check out this ranch for sale, “minutes from the Las Vegas Strip.” It was built in 1974 and appears to have been decorated with every single style of wallpaper on the market at the time. Talk about a time capsule! And the entry hall is only the beginning.

We also have a dining room, in which the chairs were upholstered (camouflaged?) to match the walls:

house of wallpaper-dining room

In the kitchen, they weren’t content to leave the pattern on the vertical spaces. It also runs rampant across the soffit and ceiling–not to mention the floor:

house of wallpaper-kitchen

breakfast nook into hall

This room has paint instead of paper (in Pantone’s Color of the Year!), but check out the wallpapered door that matches the rest of the hall. How groovy is that?

wallpapered door

Some of the wallpaper actually looks a little more ’80s than ’70s to me, so maybe some rooms were updated along the way.

wallpaper-bathroom

When I was growing up, my mom hired an interior designer who sold her on this exact same grassy-green colored carpet for our living room in 1984 (I’m having flashbacks):

green carpet

The house has plenty of space–4 BR, 4BA, and 4,660 sq feet–and they’re asking $750,000. Could be a great deal for someone who either 1) loves wallpaper or 2) loves stripping it. It sits on over half an acre and has a beautiful in-ground pool, too. Lots of potential! Anyone up for the challenge?

You can see the rest of the photos in the listing. (Thanks to Cindy for the link–and the post title!)

Click Here to See More Unusual Things Found in the Real Estate Listings!

Timothy February 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm

If it has good bones it could be a nice home but 750k sounds high for Vegas.

kathy February 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

This house is good for 1. Some one that likes wall paper, 2. Some one who likes stripping wallpaper, or 3. Some one that is blind!

Karena February 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Oh dear I just don”t have that much energy in me. I have stripped enought wallpaper to last a lifetime!

Julia,

Come and join my amazing giveaway from Splenderosa!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Jessica @ Decor Adventures February 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm

On the ceiling! Why do they put it on the ceiling? Well, I guess it’s the same as paint. Our house has a lot of painted over wallpaper. Not terrible, but better than this!

The Little Red Shop February 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Wow! Poor trees gave up their lives for those rolls! Ouch! Did they wallpaper over most of the windows too?

: p

Julie M.

Claire February 8, 2011 at 12:46 am

I wish I hadn’t seen this right before bed. I’m going to have a nightmare about this house now, I just know it. I’m going to be trapped in that kitchen until I eat all my eggs or find Waldo in the floor.

Janell Beals February 8, 2011 at 12:51 am

Enjoyed the title of this post…and wow, that is quite the collection of wallpaper! Janell

quintessence February 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

Love the title. And you weren’t kidding – that’s a lot of stripping!

Billy February 8, 2011 at 1:28 am

House stuck in 1986, owners stuck in 2006.

lindsay February 8, 2011 at 2:22 am

STOP!!! Nobody TOUCH this house!!!!!!!!!!!

…it’s delicious.

OK. Maybe change the bathroom…

etta February 8, 2011 at 3:40 am

WOW… I can’t stand it… this is toooooo much!

Kim February 8, 2011 at 3:41 am

Yikes!!! Is that house stuck in a time warp or what? The 70′s and 80′s just called and they would like their wallpaper back.

I know wallpaper was popular back then, but how could people (who originally lived in the house), stand living in a house covered from wall to wall in those hidious patterns? I mean I would be tramatized and maybe even go insane.

Nita February 8, 2011 at 3:47 am

Are you sure it isn’t Wayne Newton’s?

Josanne February 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Wow! Usually I like things a little different, since my motto is “Life is too short to have too serious of a house.”, but this is even too much for me-and more than just a little! With all the patterns, I’d feel like my house was cluttered and my eyes would have nowhere to rest so that my brain didn’t feel overwhelmed!

Luciane at Homebunch.com February 8, 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh, well… It’s not MY taste at all, but at the same time I don’t want to be rude, because what I really believe is that you should feel free to do what makes sense to you at your home, whatever makes you feel happy. Of course we should have a sense of interior design and that’s why we should read blogs and magazines about this subject, but let’s face it, if you put something in your home that makes you feel happy, that reminds you of something good, that brings any room to be your favorite room, then.. well, then I can not judge you, I just feel happy for you. With or without loads of wallpaper. ;-)

Have a wonderful day, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com
Post of the Day: SARAH RICHARDSON.

Donna February 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

I am flabbergasted by the amount and patterns of this house’s wallpapers!! It’s hard to pick the most jaw dropping room but I think the dining room with the camoflaged chairs is the craziest……even that big print floral wallpaper could be more palatable if they had put lots of a solid contrasting color against those walls—-instead they covered the chairs and what is that on the left of that room? A sideboard or other piece of furniture also covered??? AND a mirror on the wall to reflect the wallpaper pattern even more??! Ay yi yi.

Sheila Krehbiel February 8, 2011 at 7:53 am

Oof! I do believe I bought this house’s cousin in Wichita’s College Hill about a decade ago. Some windows (!) were wallpapered. I did the stripping and carpet removal by myself and am feeling the love for the folks who buy this Vegas “beauty.” It’ll keep ‘em busy, at least. Thanks, Julia!

Don Corson February 8, 2011 at 7:59 am

Their agent needs a slap. At that price, couldn’t they spend a few thousand and have it all go away? Maybe they are looking to use it for a “movie” house — like where the creepy Vegas lounge lizard would live?

Susan February 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

Some people have more money than sense.
Best,
Susan

Sally February 8, 2011 at 8:21 am

Oh my!

Ricki Jill Treleaven February 8, 2011 at 8:26 am

I thought the housing bubble had completely blown-up and *busted* in Las Vegas….That house needs sooooooooooooo much work. I get exhausted just looking at it. I’m going to take a nap now…..

ep February 8, 2011 at 8:44 am

i think it was decorated by the wife of a cheating or abusive husband right before she planned her get a way….. TAKE THAT!!!!!

Lisa February 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm

That explains it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now February 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

Julia, that green carpet brought back nightmares!!! When we moved into our house, the family room, dining room, and hallway had that same green carpet. We were just out of college and also had to update siding, windows, the a/c, drywall, you name it. So the carpet stayed for a couple of years until I got pregnant with Natalie and wanted it gone asap!! That house would give me a headache with all of its patterns. I hope the closing agent throws in some Tylenol. ;)

Claudia February 8, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hello,

I do not know what to say. I cannot believe that people are comfortable to live there. The patterns blow me away. I would be so anxious just visiting this place and I can’t even imagine living there.
Thank you for sharing…. have a good week.
Claudia

Mike February 8, 2011 at 8:55 am

Is it just me, or is the trim work in a lot of those rooms painted mauve? It makes me shudder.

T. February 8, 2011 at 9:01 am

This reminds me of Graceland! If you look beyond the wallpaper, there are some nice touches, like chair rail moldings and crown moldings. The yard is nice! The price seems high to me, though.

Sara February 8, 2011 at 9:35 am

Somebody must have worked for/owned a wallpaper company!

Embarassed to say we have that Waverly flowered wallpaper in the kitchen. What can I say – it seemed like a good idea at the time :-). Now its near the top of the to-do (to-undo?) list.

Love your blog, Julia!

Katherine @ Grass Stains February 8, 2011 at 9:37 am

That house literally nauseates me! God heavens!

Katherine @ Grass Stains February 8, 2011 at 9:37 am

(GOOD) heavens!

Elvira February 8, 2011 at 9:47 am

Oh, my! All that in-your-face pattern from floor to (literally) ceiling is making me queasy. And I just finished lunch.

Good luck to anyone tackling that monstrosity.

Deb February 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow! You would have to go into that hot pink room to rest your eyes! All that wallpaper makes the hot pink look serene. lol

Pat February 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

That was a lot of work to put all that wall paper up, especially matching the pattern on soffit and ceiling. I hope the paper hanger got paid really well. He probably laughed all the way to the bank!
It seems way over priced to me for the Vegas market, but it basically is a good house and yard.
Wouldn’t you love to meet the previous owners? I wonder if they would say “I hope no one touches the wallpaper, we just love it!”.

Lisa McElliott February 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

Wow…that just hurt my eyes..

Jenny February 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Wow, that is amazingly frightening. I don’t think I’ve seen doors wallpapered before!

Linda February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm

When my husband and I were house-hunting 8+ years ago, we visited a home in a wonderful neighborhood that was stuck in a time warp. Unfortunately, instead of wallpaper, the tile choices were outdated and numerous. The foyer had one or two types of tile, each bathroom had at least 2 or 3, the kitchen another. Some were even textured, or otherwise difficult to paint with a tile paint product. I envisioned lots of time and money spent on tile removal and disposal fees if we had purchased that house. I think the front of the house had lilac shutters, too.
With the right amount of time and effort, I’m sure it’s lovely now, but it was too much for me to take on in a first home.

Linda February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm

cheryl February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Hi Julia, I love the house in “Ghost of Girlfriends Past” Have you ever posted this?

Thanks

CHERYL

Cindy February 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Plan a big party and tell everyone there will be strippers there. Just don’t tell them they are the strippers!

I really would love to see that place naked. Not me, the house. It looks like a cave because all the windows are heavily draped and there is so much going on. It’s hard to tell, but at the listing page there are two other rooms, a green one and a blue one, and even those are wallpapers!!!!

Jackie W. - Kanasas February 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

The lead singer of Alabama has a ton of wallpaper in his home. Saw it on Cribs.

Carla February 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm

WOW! That is awful! That wall paper isn’t even close to being somewhat cute/decent. I can’t believe the chairs camouflage into the wall paper! Scraping wall paper is a pain too!

Nichole February 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm

great title! Pictures like this are why I’m am still not on the new wallpaper wagon. :)

cbean February 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Oh come on! We’ve all had or lived in houses like this…haven’t we?

I once had a house which I decorated with pink flamingos in the master bath, Spanish red in the main bath, and havest blends in the kitchen. That was back in the 70′s.

My taste has changed a little since then. LOL!!

Bre February 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Wow that is a lot of print for one house! Definitely not a fan of the wallpaper. Reminds me of my girlfriend’s old house. EVERYTHING was covered in wallpaper-right down to the closets and pantries (and their subsequent doors). Poor thing spent most of her time removing wallpaper from places wallpaper should never exist!

Heather February 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Shudder! I pity the person who has to strip all that gross wallpaper.

Melissa February 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Holy Good Fellas! Woweee. I think I would have to offer them about $100,000 less then the asking price and use the rest to hire a (BIG) crew to remove every wall and floor treatment. You are right, it seems to be a 70s / 80s color pattern combo from vintage he**!
Thanks for sharing, it was fun to see! Stay warm and cozy- we are in the sub-zero wind chills here in northern Illinois! -Melissa

Holley February 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Excuse me.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

There. I’m better now.

Having recently stripped a much, much smaller space (5 by 10 bathroom), I can truthfully say that I would ask that the sale price be reduced to cover the labor costs of stripping and painting everything, plus brand new doors for every door wallpapered to match the hall.

Shannon Waller February 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm

This house is awful – my 5 year old daughter, however, thought it was “beautiful”. This worries me!!!

Christie February 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I would scream if I was in that kitchen!

Debbie Summers February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I’m thinking a wallpaper intervention should have occurred at some point during the past 30 years.

STOP THE MADNESS!

I need to sit down, I’m dizzy.

Jeanne February 8, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Please pardon my french…but what the hell is wrong with people! Holy moly, I need to sit in a dark room for awhile to stop my eyeballs from burning.

Mom in High Heels February 9, 2011 at 4:07 am

My eyes!!!!! Oh, the horror. I can’t imagine living in that.

Dacia February 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Yikes!

Lauren @ Meet My Ugly Baby February 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I’m seeing a great reality show set in this one:

in a house of 8 strippers… performance and skill, flexibility and finesse are all tested as they compete…for the house of their dreams. Find out Monday… on Vegas: House of Strippers.

Phyllis Briner February 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Thought you might get a kick out of a blog I read today. Extreme houses is the subject:
There is even a house built upside down on purpose!

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady February 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This is very odd indeed, especially the camouflaged chairs. It does fits Las Vegas though! This wallpaper reminds me a lot of the carpets in most of the hotels over there.

Lisa February 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I can’t stop imagining the people who lived there after it was all put up, congratulating themselves on such a great job.

Unless the earlier person is correct and it was done for spite by a departing spouse.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman February 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I would seriously rather jump off a cliff than strip all of that wallpaper. We lived in 2 old houses that had wallpaper EVERYWHERE. Even on the ceilings (!!!!) in a couple of the rooms. Some rooms had 4, 5 and 6 layers of it. :-O I started to HATE wallpaper with a passion!

One of the things that I loved about our current house was that it had NO wallpaper or borders of any kind, in any room. Yes, that was a selling feature for me! lol

Sue from Atlanta February 9, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Looks like it could have been Tammy Faye Bakers old digs…

Kirsten February 10, 2011 at 1:25 am

Yikes, that’s a LOT of bad wallpaper. I hope they get a few gallons of wallpaper stripper as at closing, along with the keys.

I did a quick search on Zillow, and comps in that neighborhood (with the 1/2 acre lots, which is HUGE for Vegas) are running around $450-500K. No telling what sort of condition those recent sales were in, though. It is an older part of town.

Renee April 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Wow, I thought our house was bad when we bought it but I think this one may beat it, barely!

Cj Bursch January 13, 2012 at 10:57 am

The floor plan in this house looks very similar to the house in the movie casino. Except all the extra wallpaper. The movie was about Vegas.

{ 2 trackbacks }