This Big Stone Fireplace Scares Me a Little…

by hookedonhouses on December 14, 2010

giant stone fireplace

This unique $5.3 million home for sale in Northern California is mostly sleek and modern, but then there’s a hulking, oversized stone fireplace that seems to be growing out of the floor between the living and dining room areas. And I’m not quite sure what to make of it.

I usually love stone fireplaces, but this one looks a little sinister to me, like it eats furniture at night while you’re sleeping…and maybe a family pet or two. And every day it gets a little bigger, until it takes over the entire house. (Okay, so maybe I have an overactive imagination like my 2nd grade teacher said!)

The house has won several awards, including Metropolitan Home magazine’s designation as one of the Top 10 Houses of 2005, so I may be the only one who isn’t crazy about it.

What do you think? Do you like it or is it creeping you out a little, too? ;-)

(Thanks to Cindy for finding this one! The listing was just removed, so it must have sold.)

Click Here to See More Unusual Things Found in the Real Estate Listings, including Santa in the House!

Bonnie @ The Boatwright Family December 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

OMG
.-= Bonnie @ The Boatwright Family´s last blog ..Teacher Christmas Gift Idea =-.

Samantha@yearofhomeandhealth December 14, 2010 at 8:16 am

CREAPY! And I can just imagine the kids climbing up it and falling and bashing their heads!
.-= Samantha@yearofhomeandhealth´s last blog ..Modern Country Style Wreath Party =-.

Aaron December 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm

My Wife and I saw this and have two kids ourselves. She said the same thing you did, my response was “Hell with kids you couldn’t keep me from climbing that thing!” lol Not sure I’d put it in my house, but do love it!!!

pk @ Room Remix December 14, 2010 at 8:16 am

Scares you a LITTLE? Scares me a lot! I like your comment “like it eats furniture at night while you’re sleeping…and maybe a family pet or two” :-). Couldn’t agree more.
.-= pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..Snowflakes – not just for Christmas =-.

Emily@remodelingthislife December 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

I think it’s cool. My kids would never stop climbing it.

One of our cottages has a funky stone fireplace and when it was gutted and renovated it’s one of the only things kept. Just the fact that we know two drunk guys built it one night makes it worth keeping it :)

hookedonhouses December 14, 2010 at 8:23 am

I hadn’t even thought about the kids wanting to climb it. You’re so right! Mine would love it. I, however, would not love the ER bills. ;-)

rosie at 3rosebuds December 14, 2010 at 9:59 am

My kids would be all over that, too-and sticking things in all the little crevices!
.-= rosie at 3rosebuds´s last blog ..Getting in the Christmas Spirit with Hooked on Houses =-.

Luciane at Homebunch.com December 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

Call all The Cave Men!!! LOL

Are you kidding me??? LOL Who builds something like that???? Unless you want to have a VOLCANO inside your house!!!!

Great Pic! LOL

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Donna December 14, 2010 at 8:21 am

It looks like a rock slide that we get in the mountains of North Carolina… dangerous and scary! It isn’t something I would want to live with.
.-= Donna´s last blog ..My 2010 Weekly Planner =-.

Sue December 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

It’s definitely a creeper, I don’t think I would sleep very well in that house!

Myra @ My Blessed Life December 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

Horrific is the only word that comes to mind. LOL!
.-= Myra @ My Blessed Life´s last blog ..Cranberry-Caramel Chex Mix Homemade Gift Idea =-.

Courtney @ nesting instincts December 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

Yessss….creepy! You are so right! I also think it’s a waste of square footage, since it narrows at the top. Makes me wish it would have been that narrow from the bottom up. I can also see guests or small children tripping and hurting themselves on those boulders. Creepy.
.-= Courtney @ nesting instincts´s last blog ..swan song =-.

carolinagirl December 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

Is that supposed to be a replica of a giant sequoia??? Crazy!

Mel Mel December 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

Very creepy! Maybe there was a huge boulder right where they wanted to build the house that couldn’t be moved so they built the fireplace around it. But I would’ve paid to blast the thing away!
.-= Mel Mel´s last blog ..Laziness =-.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad December 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

Scary. Like Hansel and Gretel scary.
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..Impressive Makeover =-.

Bethany December 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

Makes you wonder if they were trying to hide some sort of mess-up? Like a hole in the floor or something? I mean, that is just enormous!!!
.-= Bethany´s last blog ..Its time =-.

Georgia December 14, 2010 at 8:35 am

Extra creepy! Reminds me of Michael Chiklis in “Fantastic Four” when he turns into “The Thing”….that rock-like creature. Definitely NOT in my house.

Mary December 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

What I want to know is…. How do you dust it????!!

Jackie W.- Kansas December 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm

That is exactly what I want to know. Do you send the kids up with rags. Here, dust while you climb ?

Miz Booshay December 14, 2010 at 8:47 am

It looks like a dinosaur has stomped thru the ceiling!!!
Hate it. *snap*
.-= Miz Booshay´s last blog .. =-.

Nancy December 14, 2010 at 8:47 am

Avalanche!

Laura December 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

Looks like a dinosaur foot has smashed through the roof! Lx
.-= Laura´s last blog ..A festive Friday Flower =-.

karin/lifeinsmallchunks@blogspot.com December 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

Is hate too strong a word? ugh.

Emily December 14, 2010 at 9:06 am

Extremely creepy. I can just see what you are imagining :D

and by the way, I still love your photo <3

Janell Beals December 14, 2010 at 9:07 am

Strange indeed, particularly in a more sleek home! Looks like a giant big claw reaching down into the home, I’m curious what person thought this was the way to go with the fireplace!
Janell

Carol M December 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

Wow. It does look scary to me –and it does look like it would come to life at night. My second thought was it would be a kid’s dream and a mother’s nightmare. It’s also cold looking to me, so if I was stuck with that, I think I’d put votive candles on all the flat top rocks to try to soften the look, maybe even a few plants. But I really wouldn’t want to live with that in my house!

etta December 14, 2010 at 9:25 am

ahahah OMG this is tooooo much!

Ricki Jill Treleaven December 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

Julia, I totally agree. I’m scared…a lot! I could not stay in that house five minutes because I would be scared that the fireplace was gong to morph into Jabba the Hut!!! ;D
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Santa Are you paying attention =-.

Julie December 14, 2010 at 9:28 am

Hilariously hideous.
.-= Julie´s last blog ..Christmas Tour 2010 &amp a Winner! =-.

Elisha December 14, 2010 at 9:29 am

Yuk! It looks like it’s going to come to life any minute and eat whoever might be sitting in those chairs!

the 7msn ranch December 14, 2010 at 9:30 am

Looks to me like there was a landslide and they built around it. Or maybe the Flintstones live there?
.-= the 7msn ranch´s last blog ..On the second day of Christmas =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints December 14, 2010 at 9:43 am

what in the world?? looks like it’s from a sci-fi movie…eeekkkk!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..bangs &amp cuffs =-.

Ms. Pearl December 14, 2010 at 9:46 am

OMG, it looks like Bigfoot crashed through the ceiling! What’s really strange is how tiny the fireplace opening is.

I think this is one of those ideas that *sounded* really great, but didn’t quite work.
.-= Ms. Pearl´s last blog ..Ornament =-.

Sharon December 14, 2010 at 9:51 am

OMG. It looks like the foot of some deceased prehistoric animal. Julia, this feature always make me laugh! Thanks for digging out these “treasures” for us:))

the Blah Blah Blahger December 14, 2010 at 10:26 am

Looks like a giant chicken foot. Ew!
.-= the Blah Blah Blahger´s last blog ..TREE BOKEH =-.

kathy December 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

It looks like it should have some ropes hanging around it, and some of those plastic handles like they have at the rock climbing places! Does not belong in the middle of the dining room!

Sophie December 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

Apart from those chairs, there isn’t one thing about this house that I like… I’m not generally into modern anyway, but I can usually appreciate it.

But this is… Not nice.
Especially not that fireplace. Looks like someone’s just thrown a pile of rocks on the floor.

Linda in AZ * December 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

* Wasn’t there a “horror” (?) movie once about a TOMATO that ate a CITY or something????? (YOU know the one I mean, DON’T you???)… Well, it reminds me of that, and if I had that in MY house, I’d SLEEP WITH ONE EYE O*P*E*N, THAT’S FOR SURE!

All I can add is “YIKES!” (and *I’M* the one who is the big nature (rock, stone, glass, etc.) lover…. but CERTAINLY not in THIS WAY!!!)…

“Heeellllllppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!”

Linda n AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Cori Heffernan December 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

I guess painting it white would not help! It would look like a big albino monster! My kids would be scaling this thing all the time. Not cottage or beach house, more like early american cave dweller!

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 14, 2010 at 11:04 am

That IS creepy!! Looks like it might be used for some sort of ritual sacrifices. :s

Annie December 14, 2010 at 11:07 am

Totally creeping me out too!

Lili December 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

I dont know about creepy, but it sure looks like one of those “boulders” could fall off and kill the cat. Also kind of looks like a hobbit house perhaps…

Teacup Lane December 14, 2010 at 11:21 am

I like stone fireplaces but this is just too huge and ugly. I would be afraid I would trip on the stone sticking out around the base especially at night.
.-= Teacup Lane´s last blog ..Pretty in Purple Bag =-.

Liz December 14, 2010 at 11:25 am

“The Blob”. This is a deal breaker for me. It is ugly, creepy, out of place, and throws everything off. It looks like the elephant’s foot of this big white elephant of a house got stuck in the middle of it.

KimberlyRose December 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

It looks like it erupted in the middle of the room. Love stone fireplaces in general, but this one… no. Just no.

Jennifer December 14, 2010 at 11:36 am

I kind of like it…It reminds me of a tree…It could be your own little hobbit house…(I, too, have always had a very good imagination…)

Nita@ModVintageLife.com December 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

It is scary!!!!! Maybe if it were in a big rugged barn. But the rocks are too jagged to even look good then. I hate it. When I saw your post headline…I thought…how big could it be? I was shocked when I got to the photo.

Lene Pedersen December 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

Not to worry!
This is the friendly Rock Biter from the movie “The Neverending Story”.
However, you might want to worry about “anything stone” on the first floor, where the rest of him is….
Nothing wrong with a good imagination, Julia!

Merry Christmas!

Cole@LavishProperty December 14, 2010 at 11:58 am

I must agree with you – not crazy about it at all.
.-= Cole@LavishProperty´s last blog ..19-690-000 – Saint Tropez- France =-.

Heather Collins December 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm

you’re not crazy! looks like The Flintstones house.
yikes.
.-= Heather Collins´s last blog ..Holiday Yoga =-.

Lisa T. December 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

The rock monster wants his foot back!

I agree with all the above. I am disappointed this won awards for anything. It makes you question the expert’s judgments. Were they trying to be funny?

Pat December 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm

You could hang everyone’s Christmas stockings on it and it would still be ugly. Santa does have a lot of space to come down though!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Glitter- Candles and Trees =-.

Bre December 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I’m with you on this one. This is definitely a “what were they thinking?” It looks like a mini volcano and it is certainly giving me the creepy vibe. I too would not be surprised if it grew or ate pets or furniture. If Kevin McAllister was scared of the evil furnace in the basement in Home Alone, this fireplace/volcano would surely give him nightmares for years!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Q &amp A with BB- Corrective Makeup =-.

Brandy December 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I think it’s creepy too! Really creepy and I imagine I would stub my toe on it a lot too.
.-= Brandy´s last blog ..I Went With Fall Colors Too! =-.

Nancy Hood December 14, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Julia, you are so right! and I’m shocked it’s won anything. Can you imagine the dust those areas will catch?! Not to mention children crawling all over it. Ugh, not for this girl :)
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Estate Sale on Sale! =-.

Christine December 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm

LOL… It looks like the ceiling just pooped out a bunch of rocks!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Reasons for the Season =-.

amanda December 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

It really doesn’t match the house, but it’s still pretty awesome! You just know kids would be all over that though.

Jackie W.- Kansas December 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Real Estate AD :

5.3 million dollars…rock slide included !

HollyM December 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Atrocious. Who wants a cave for a fireplace?

Kim December 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

That is creepy. You are right Julia, the fireplace does look like it comes to life at night. Reminds me of the movie “Monster House”, where the house comes to life and tries to eat objects or kids. I too couldn’t live in a house with a fireplace that big. Just think if there was a big earthquake? Those rocks would collapse and fly everywhere.

Gloria December 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I agree, Julia. It scares me a little too!
Best,
Gloria

Lois December 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I would expect it to start making strange breathing noises and lumbering forward at any moment. Creepy is an understatement!

jana December 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm

The interiors of that home look like a science classroom to me and that fireplace is obviously an experiment gone wrong!!!

Kimberlee J. December 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm

It looks like something that could all of a sudden come alive, uproot, and walk away. What were they thinking???
.-= Kimberlee J.´s last blog ..A Kid Gift Idea- Zingo! =-.

Anne December 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Looks like something you’d see in The Lord of the Rings…in some underworld land. Though I also see it as a great place for the kiddos to play on too!

Heather December 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Evil, pure evil. The first thing that came to my mind was LOTR too. I’d expect an evil, firey eye staring out of it.
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Christmas Tree Party and a 30-year-old tube of toilet paper =-.

Alycia December 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Fireplace=No Bueno.

It reminds me a lava from a volcano that overran into the house. I sure hope that didn’t cost a small fortune. It could have been cheaper to build this home on actual lava rock in Hawaii. LOL
.-= Alycia´s last blog ..Add Six Inches or More =-.

Holley December 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm

The strange thing is that I had exactly the same reaction you did before I ever read your post, right down to the eating furniture and expanding until it takes over the house.

I looked at it and said aloud, “Now that is a fireplace!” My husband peeked over my shoulder and said, “No. That’s a volcano.”
.-= Holley´s last blog ..Good Heavens! =-.

T. December 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I think if they had kept it the same width that it is at the top, it would look rustic and maybe even charming, but they way it spreads into a big ol’ rock pile…no thanks.

nanne December 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm

looks like an overachiever’s science fair project….don’t want to be around when that baby erupts…

Virginia December 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm

It’s awful and VERY scary!!!!

Town and Country Mom December 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Um, no, not for me, but when my boys were younger this would have been heaven for GI Joes and Tonka trucks!

Jenny December 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Yikes! I hope no children live there! I can just imagine them trying to climb it or falling into it. OUCH!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Christmas Ornament Show &amp Tell =-.

Stacy December 14, 2010 at 7:49 pm

creepy! looks like it was plucked out of an evil forest.

in addition to my boys trying to climb it, i would be constantly tripping over the boulders sticking out on the corners!

Jenny December 14, 2010 at 8:47 pm

It reminds me of that old early-90s Nickelodeon show “GUTS” and the (what I think was called) Agro-Crag that the kids had to climb up at the end of the show to win the competition!! LOL
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Front Entry Re-do =-.

Jennifer December 14, 2010 at 11:37 pm

That has to be the UGLIEST thing I have EVER seen inside a home. It looks like some prehistoric monster has put it’s foot through the ceiling. I cannot imagine why anyone would want that in their house and can only say that the rest of the competition for the Top 10 Houses of 2005 must have been equally as shocking.
.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..A Confession =-.

Avonna December 14, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Omg.

Tear that monster out.

Ugly as a pile of dog doo doo…

Nita December 15, 2010 at 1:54 am

Bring in a bulldozer, this is horrid!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman December 15, 2010 at 9:07 am

woah, that’s a bit much. It looks like it WOULD slowly swallow you up.

My son would probably try to climb up on it, too. If he wasn’t totally creeped out by it!
.-= Handy Man, Crafty Woman´s last blog ..15 Wicked Cheap Christmas Activities =-.

Melinda December 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

Looks like a hobbit’s house !! All that’s’ missing is a little round door. :)

Dean December 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

Creepy! Like you said, comes to life to wreak havoc– like something from a Harry Potter movie. :-)

Erin December 15, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Your comments totally make me laugh (and, yes, creepy). It looks like the foot of some giant monster just crashed through the ceiling. I’d keep expecting the other foot to come crashing through the roof and crush me while I was eating at that table.

Hausfrau December 16, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’m all for eclectic and unique, but–wow. Scary, scary fireplace!
.-= Hausfrau´s last blog ..Forlorn =-.

Antoinette Scognamiglio January 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I love rustic details in a home but this looks like something out of the Blair Witch Project. VERY CREEPY. I can think of a number of clients who would have walked in and made the same comment about their boys climbing up inside and bashing their heads open. Amazed that it may have sold and wondering for how much and to WHOM!

Lisa February 26, 2011 at 10:14 am

I love this fireplace!!! It is huge but absolutely amazing! I personally wouldn’t put it in my house, but DAMN!

Diana March 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

It look like someone piled up a bunch of big rocks in their home. That is definitely odd and a bit creepy.

Renee April 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’m sure someone spent a pretty penny on that ugly monstrosity!