It’s Election Day: Vote for a Red, White or Blue Living Room!

by hookedonhouses on November 2, 2010

Vote-flag buttonIt’s Election Day in the U.S., so we’re heading to the polls. I don’t get political on my blog, but every November I have you guys vote on something just for fun. Two years ago you voted for your favorite kitchen. Last year you voted for your favorite house style. This year I thought it would be fun to see which color you’d prefer in a living or family room–red, white, or blue.

Because we’re voting on color and not the style or decor of the room, I’ll give you a few examples of each. Ready?

Will You Vote for a Red Living Room…

Red family room-House Beautiful(House Beautiful)

Kitty Bartholomew's red family room(Kitty Bartholomew’s Cottage)

red family room-Valspar Colorbuzz(Valspar Color Buzz Blog)

White…

white living room-Valspar Color Buzz(Valspar Color Buzz Blog)

bhg-cottage-makeover2(BHG)

shannon-bowers-Veranda-white-LR(Shannon Bowers in Veranda)

Or Blue?

blue and white living room-star-country liv(Country Living)

elegant blue and white living rm-HB(House Beautiful)

Meg Braff-navy blue family room(Meg Braff Interiors)

Maybe a Mix of All 3?

red white blue family room-Coastal Liv(Coastal Living)

red white blue family room-Pottery Barn(Pottery Barn)

red white and blue living room-Country Liv(Country Living)

Note: You don’t have to be a U.S. citizen to vote in these polls, and voting will not register you for jury duty.

~

P.S. See how you voted in the Favorite Kitchen and Favorite House Style polls in years past!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish November 2, 2010 at 7:10 am

Love these rooms – but the white ones are my favorite! I loved your disclaimer about jury duty!! :)
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..October Review and Favorite Posts =-.

Miz Booshay November 2, 2010 at 7:14 am

I want a red checked chair now.
.-= Miz Booshay´s last blog .. =-.

Deb in Oz November 2, 2010 at 7:23 am

I love the white rooms even though red is my favourite colour. They are fresh and clean and lend themselves to a change of seasons easily.

Luciane at Homebunch.com November 2, 2010 at 7:36 am

I am not sure if you remember, but I live in canada and my, frien… it’s already getting really cold here! The interesting part is that we used to live in the Okanagan (the warmer place in the Canada), and now that we’re living in the Atlantic I am “tasting” the real Canadian weather. And the more gray skies I see, the more color I want inside my house! Nope, I won’t transform it in a “boxed rainbow” but I think that so important to live with some color. I love the white rooms and sometimes I wish my whole house was like that: a touch of heaven! But with two little ones here, I would be asking for trouble. :-)
So, today I will choose “blue” just to remind me that even thou everything is gray, cold and wet outside, here’s a blue sky shinning above it all! :-)

Have a good day!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Sally November 2, 2010 at 7:36 am

Ooooooohhhhhh AAAaaaaaaaah… I’ll take ANY of the red rooms please. They are BEautiful! So cozy looking!

Sally November 2, 2010 at 7:40 am

p.s. Julia – tried to grab your Hooked on Houses button this morning….is the full link there? It wouldn’t work for me…? Just thought I’d mention it. Have a great day! =)

hookedonhouses November 2, 2010 at 7:49 am

The code is all there–you just can’t see it all and have to click “Select All” to get it. Here’s the full code to save you the trouble:

Thanks, Sally! -Julia

Sally November 2, 2010 at 7:55 am

Perfect! I got it. Thanks again!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad November 2, 2010 at 7:38 am

Just posted my GRAY living room – to match our skies. Great rooms you posted. Told the kids to remind me to vote when they get home from school – in case I forget!
-Trish
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..A Peek at My Gray Room =-.

Claudia Walsh November 2, 2010 at 7:45 am

Hello,

That was a fun post! I love them all.

Have a good week.
Claudia
.-= Claudia Walsh´s last blog ..Its quiet this morning! =-.

Janell Beals November 2, 2010 at 8:02 am

Love the white rooms! Looks like I’m in the minority! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..It May Be A Bit Earlier- But Here Are Some Holiday Decor Ideas Via HGTVcom =-.

Kimberlee J. November 2, 2010 at 8:42 am

I generally love a white room, but I adore that red couch from PB.

I love polls, by the way. It’s so fun to see what other people say!

Stephanie@Geezees November 2, 2010 at 8:44 am

This was fun, i liked the red room better.
.-= Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..GEEZEES officially kicks off HOLIDAY season!! =-.

Shelia November 2, 2010 at 9:08 am

Hi Julia! You do have the most wonderful posts! I loved this and you picked some wonderful rooms to look at! I especially love Kitty’s room and went to your other post about her charming house that was for sale. I do miss her TV shows so much! I don’t know what happened to HGTV but I believe they’ve messed up! I used to love to watch it but now they don’t have any decorating shows for those of us who like more traditional decorated. I hate that!! :( Oh, I have her book too and drool over it quite often.

Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..The Midnight Hour – Happy Halloween =-.

Holly November 2, 2010 at 9:53 am

The red rooms are so cozy!
.-= Holly´s last blog ..Aftermath =-.

Debbie November 2, 2010 at 10:14 am

Hi Julia! I agree…you do the greatest posts. I love all those rooms. I voted white…I’ve done red and it gave me headaches after awhile! Haha…I need serene I guess. But I loved all those rooms. Every room is worth pondering…what makes it work? And what makes it look so beautiful…is it the walls, the furniture, the little things, the big things….or the perfect mix of all of it! Hope your voting day is wonderful!
Blessings,
Debbie
.-= Debbie´s last blog ..French RosesApplique quilt =-.

Kristen November 2, 2010 at 10:37 am

I voted for a little of each but the red comes in a close second! Great rooms!
Kristen
.-= Kristen´s last blog .. =-.

Lauren November 2, 2010 at 10:46 am

Have to echo the sentiments of the fellow Canadian – it’s COLD, and that’s totally influencing my choice. In the summer I’d have rolled my eyes while clicking WHITE (as if it was even a question!) — snuggled up to November rains, I’m a traitor to everything I hold sacred: better red than… cold?
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..Analysis paralysis- and you’re invited =-.

Blakely November 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

my bedroom is done in red, white and blue with an seaside twist.
.-= Blakely´s last blog ..Halloween Talk =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile November 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

What a great idea, Julia. I had toyed with doing an Election Day-related post but eventually passed on it. But this is a fun idea.

I was surprised that I picked blue. I actually love red but the red rooms didn’t speak to me. And although I always love photos of white rooms, I know I don’t really want to live in them!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..IKEA- See whats new for winter =-.

Lori-Anne November 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

Okay, that was hard. They all (individually) had qualities that I loved! Anyway, thanks for letting me vote, from north of the border!
.-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..November Notes =-.

Sandy Garrett November 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

I guess I’ll vote for red. Although white comes in a close second. I like using red for a pop of color in a room, but not too much and not for a wall color.
.-= Sandy Garrett´s last blog ..Trying To Transition To Fall =-.

Amanda November 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

I love those blue ones (especially the first). My second choice is “a little of each”. I’m kind of surprised that red is in the lead! I like them, but they’re not my fave. This is more fun than actually voting (although I will be dragging myself to the polls).
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..New floors- sneak peek =-.

jennifer November 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hey! Now I’ve voted twice today. ;-)
.-= jennifer ´s last blog ..Even Cats Want a Place to Call Their Own =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Fun p0ll!!! I voted (in the online poll and the election day). ;) I couldn’t decide, so I voted for the red, white, and blue combo!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..And Then There Was One =-.

Daricia November 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm

i am usually partial to red rooms, but today a mixture looks good – balanced and cheerful.
.-= Daricia´s last blog ..Flowering Dogwood =-.

Traci B November 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I vote RED!! Love me some red walls!!!
.-= Traci B´s last blog ..Happy Halloween!! =-.

Kim November 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for sharing these with us. I actually liked rooms from each group, but I voted for blue because I loved the “Meg Braff Interiors” room.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com November 2, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Ooo the mix! I love the last one :)

PS Super clever idea!
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Yackety-yak- Happy Halloween =-.

Rachel November 2, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Such a cute idea! I voted for red … so cozy. White appeals to me, too, but with kids I figure it’s never gonna happen around here!

Jane @Beach House November 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm

It’s nice to get a chance to vote for something today although my choice is currently in last position – hope my political faves don’t suffer the same fate :-)
.-= Jane @Beach House´s last blog ..The Knives are out =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints November 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Shocker…in this all white blogworld red is leading the way. LOVE IT!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Oh happy dayEtsy store revealed- =-.

Pat November 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This was really hard. I love all three, but I voted for red. Specifically Kitty’s home. Love her style of decorating. I know…you said it wasn’t about decorating, but about color….it’s hard to seperate.
.-= Pat´s last blog ..In no particular order… =-.

Sue from Atlanta November 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm

love love love Kitty’s room….I sure do miss her on HGTV….I hate that they have taken off all the founding ladies of t.v. decorating….I miss Joan Steffan too…always loved her $500 decorated rooms….

Bre November 2, 2010 at 8:29 pm

haha yay to no jury duty! I vote for blue. I love icy blue, robin’s egg blue, ocean blue, powder blue, navy blue, and cobalt blue. I love it all!

I also love white though…decisions decisions. I was just talking to my friend about Americana rooms the other day, we agreed we liked the less is more approach, a red wall would be a great way to achieve that.
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Ghostly Past =-.

karen ho fatt@ fire pit reviews November 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Love the pictures. These houses are beautifully designed. specially partial to the ‘marine’ look. Some colors look better in pictures rather than in reality. Blue can be a little depressing and white can be stark if you don’t have enough textures or spots of color to liven the room up. Country and beach themes often use these colors as the basis of their designs- more often than not, successfully.
.-= karen ho fatt@ fire pit reviews´s last blog ..Madison Fire Pit in Black with Stainless Steel Mesh Screens – An All Around Fantastic Model =-.

Dawn November 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I pick red. It’s warm, cheerful and bright and makes me happy. Interesting that that choice has the slight edge over the others in the poll so I’m not alone in my feelings.

My second favorite is blue but that’s cooler and that is why I opt for something warmer.

I like white too for a clean look but white can look dirty really fast and be high maintenance. Plus, too much white is just too much for me.

Ricki Jill Treleaven November 3, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Lovely rooms. I was torn between red (my favorite color) and white. I voted for white in the end, and I see that I am definitely in the minority! A very fun post for Election Day, Julia!
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Book Club Buttermilk Pie Recipe =-.

Kathy :) November 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

How fun………I voted for a mix of all 3………but oh Kitty’s cottage….boy do I miss her, didn’t she have a big braclet that she always wore ??? She was so clever…. I say bring back the oldies :)

How was your Halloween ??? I’ve been away for a couple of weeks…back now making the rounds……….almost time to buy the turkey huh ?…….although we may be going out this year :)

All the best, Julia,