Fall Open House: Show Us How You Decorate!

looking into fam rmWelcome to my 3rd Annual Open House for Fall, when I invite everyone to show us how they decorate their homes for the season. Yesterday I showed you how I decorate my house (Decorating for Fall in 3 Easy Steps). But I’m always looking for fresh inspiration, so I’m eager to see your ideas now.

family room sofa-fall

There’s also a Fall Mantel Party raging over at Nesting Place today that you have to check out. After you link up here, don’t forget to head over and join hers, too. I am! I keep my mantel pretty simple, but some people go all-out, which is always fun to see.

apothecary jar in dining rm

If you’re a blogger and have a post to add to the party, all you have to do is:

1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post (not your general blog address).
  2. Link back to this post from yours so your readers can join the party.
  3. Start clicking!

When we moved here 7 years ago, I claimed this little spare bedroom as my home office. I work as a freelance writer and editor…
Come on in! I've been decorating for Christmas this week--have you? Several of you have asked if I'd be hosting my Hooked on Holiday House…

Oh how I’d love to decorate for the fall but this heat is killing me! It’s after 8pm and it’s close to 90 degrees—Hoping in a few weeks it will look and feel like fall around here.

2. Cindy says

My compliments on how well you thought through your decorating scheme to allow it to change with the seasons and look amazing all year long. I am so envious. Happy autumn.

Great idea Julia, so glad to see you hosting once again. Cheers to a beautiful season, your home as always is so warm, inviting, and stylish!

These are all so pretty and inspiring. I got a ton of ideas from everyone’s decorating. I really love your living room, it’s so cozy and inviting. Great post Julia!
    .-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..Colour Your World! =-.

Thank you Julia for hosting this wonderful party! Your fall decor is gorgeous! I am enjoying all the inspirational ideas linked up here! Angie xo
    .-= Angie´s last blog ..A Striking Contrast =-.

What a fun gathering! I’m drooling over all of the inspiration. Your home is absolutely gorgeous! Your mantel … tablescape … everything! And, I love how the shade of orange you chose to decorate works beautifully with blue! Thanks for sharing and letting me post my Fall mantel. Take care, *Becca*
    .-= Becca @ Adventures in Decorating´s last blog ..Le Fall Mantel =-.

Wow I can’t’ believe that I’m just now coming across your blog. Love it!

Your fall decor is beautiful…..elegant and not too over powering. My fiancée says that anyone that was wondering if it was fall would know the second they walked into our home! Ha! That’s me though…..I’m all about over the top!

Kendra aka “Domestic Princess in Training”

Hi Julia! I finally made it!

I wanted to join both Nester’s party and yours, but I wanted to do just a mantel for Nester’s party and more of a home tour for your party. So I wrote two separate posts. And now I think I’m your 84th entry or something like that. Wow! Good for you!

I think your home looks just wonderful decorated for fall. Actually, your mantel REALLY inspires me. I wrote about the mantel in my husband’s study for Nester’s party. I didn’t show the mantel in our living room, because I haven’t done anything fallish for it. That mantel is rather high and very shallow, so I have trouble decorating it. But I DO have some really tall candlesticks, and you’ve inspired me to paint them black or oil-rubbed bronze and use them. I could balance them with something else tall on the other side. Thank you for the inspiration–I’ll let you know if I end up emulating you!

Thank you SO MUCH for hosting this party!

thank you so much for inviting us into your home. it is beautiful & warm.
    i think my favorite part is your turquoise buffet with the mercury pumpkins & then the pops of orange from your pumpkins on your dining room table. for some reason i love turquoise or blue with orange. can’t beat it.

great idea for a party.

.-= this blessed nest´s last blog ..FALL FESTIVAL week 5!!! =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I love orange and turquoise together, too–as you can probably tell by my blog! Thanks, Kellie. -Julia :-)

Thank you for the linking party!! My house is generally in fall decor, warm color pallete, rich colors and textures – that’s my style – don’t change much with the seasons. I may just have too!! Thanks!
    .-= LuxuriousLife´s last blog ..Furniture As Art =-.

• hookedonhouses says

It’ll be up until next week, so you have plenty of time! -Julia

I wanted to link to your party but it doesn’t seem to work! There is not a button to move on once I entered the info — am I doing something wrong?

• hookedonhouses says

I’m not sure why it didn’t work for you. I just tested it by uploading a link of my own and it worked fine. Make sure that your link is correct and doesn’t have double “http’s” at the beginning (I noticed when I pasted my link in, there was already an “http” there, so I had to delete one to get it to work).

Then you click “get image from web” and choose the photo from your post you want to use. It’ll help you crop it to size and that should be it. Hope that helps! -Julia

12. Cheryl says

You have some amazing followers and fellow bloggers to contribute this many beautiful ideas! I can’t wait to get home and look through them at my leisure. Thanks to you and everyone for the inspiration I’ll surely find.

Thank you for posting this Fall party. It’s my first time doing something like this and I enjoyed it very much. Everyone’s pictures looks so beautiful. Can’t wait to go back and take a better look tonight.
    Thanks again.

• hookedonhouses says

I got the mirror at Bombay Co. a few years before they went out of business. Shouldn’t be too hard to find something similar, though. I’m glad you like it! I always get comments about how you’re not supposed to hang mirrors over fireplaces because they’re too high and reflect the ceiling, etc, but I felt like I needed something round to break up all the hard, square shapes on that wall with the two windows on the side. That room is really small and dark (we have a wooded yard), so I also was trying to make it seem a little brighter and bigger. -Julia

I gave it my best shot Julia…my sister-in-law is having a similar party…you both gave me the perfect “fall kick”! Thank you!
    xo J~
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..A Touch Of Fall =-.

Wonderful party, thanks for hosting. What a gorgeous array of great decor ideas, you’ve really brought out the creativity with this Fall Party. Thanks!
    .-= Ann´s last blog ..FUN Halloween decorating =-.

Hi, Julia, that first pic looks like a magazine shot! Your house is looking SO good, love all your little Fall touches. It takes me until October to get in the mood for Fall & I only do a little, but I’m putting up something next week. I always miss the Fall parties, just can’t get it together when it’s 90*.
    .-= RHoda @ Southern Hospitality´s last blog ..CSN 150 Giveaway =-.

Loving your decor! I’m obsessed with your turquoise buffet in that one picture. Did you paint it or buy it like that??? If you painted it can I get that color name? Painting my dining room furniture (which I am turning into an office) is on my to do list. I love your white table and chairs and that pop of color on your buffet!
    .-= One Nutty Girl´s last blog ..Fall Mantle Linky Day =-.

• hookedonhouses says

It came like that from Arhaus, and it makes me really happy every day seeing that little bolt of blue when I walk through the room. -Julia :-)

Thanks for hosting the Fall Open House Linky party. I love your silver pumpkins on the blue sideboard. I”ll have to look out for some like that as they would be perfect in our dining room too.
    .-= Grace´s last blog ..Autumn Wreath =-.

19. love where you live says

Beautiful home! Just love the orange touches. Thank you for having us in! I enjoyed this post.

I’m still working my way through all of these beautiful links..and loving it!
    Your home looks beautiufl, as always.
    There sure are a lot of wonderfully creative people out there!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..You’re It! =-.

21. Heather says

You have REALLY helped me get into the fall spirit!
    THANK YOU so much! for adding so many beautiful ideas to my week!
    and by the way…..
    I was google-ing “DIY bookshelves” and all the pictures I clicked on were for your site!

• hookedonhouses says

I got those toile chairs years ago from a store that went out of business shortly thereafter. I was bummed because I was hoping to get the cool ottoman that went with them, but it was too late! -Julia

22. Kathy :) says

You are the hostess with the mostess……your home looks FANTASTIC Julia…

Thanks for hosting this…..tomorrow is going to be a yucky, rainy day and I am coming back with my coffee for a LONG visit !!!!

I can’t wait……..

Happy Fall,
    Kathy :)

I thought of you when I saw this beautiful listing in Australia. It is posted by Rhonda Jean of the Down to Earth Blog. Her sister is selling this home after losing her husband a few years ago. Rhonda Jean is trying to help her sister get the house sold.

It truly is a gem.
    I don’t know if you’d want to feature it…but here is the info just in case.

.-= Becky K´s last blog ..Chivalry is not Dead! =-.

What a lovely and warm home you have. Your decorating style is gorgeous. Love your fall deco. Have a great day!

25. Andrea P says

hi! I love o see all of the awesome fall decor! Everyone is so creative!

Julia – in the pics of you house, is that the Crate & Barrel Classical Symmetry prints I see? How many do you have? Which colors? I LOVE them!

• hookedonhouses says

Yep! I have four of them–orange, yellow, lime and aqua. Aren’t they fun? -Julia :)

Thanks for hosting! Your home looks lovely. I just uploaded my Fall fireplace. Fall is my favorite time of year…I love to see how others are decorating for the season!
    .-= Melanie {The Tiny Tudor}´s last blog ..My Front Door =-.

I am falling in love with your “pecan” color. Curious…does it read peachy at all to you? I just did a sample board of it and Tobacco Road and the TR is too golden for my liking and the Pecan read a little peachy…BUT it could just be that I’m holding them together and see such a contrast.

Also, is there anyway you can find out wall color used in movie houses? Just watched the movie “Date Night” and LOVE that wall color…very neutral…very different each time I saw it in different times of day. Would love to get my hands on that color.
    .-= Talysa´s last blog ..Focus Sweet Shot Tuesday =-.

• hookedonhouses says

The thing about Pecan is that is changes color depending on the time of day, the light coming through the windows, and the room it’s in. It looks like I used a totally different color in the dining room than in the family room because the dining room is so much lighter. So it’s tricky. I’m sure it does go a little peachy at certain times of the day, although I’ve never really noticed it. It stays pretty toasty looking in the family room, which gets less light due to all the trees in our backyard.

Sadly, movie-set colors don’t translate into real homes. They have to adjust them for the extreme lights and usually do custom mixes to get them right. We have to just use them for inspiration and find something similar. -Julia