A Home Office That Does Double Duty

office closeup

A reader named Kevin sent me this photo from the real estate listings as an example of homeowners who tried a little too hard to make use of every square inch in their house. Sure, it comes with a home office. Too bad it doubles as the master bath:

bathroom office

How would you caption this listing?

Go to Bad MLS Photos to see more!

And in the living room we have a lovely fireplace with a brick hearth, original hardwood floors, and what appears to be a serious pest…
odd sculpture in foyer
This 4-bedroom, 3-bath house, on the market in Michigan for $425,000, appears to be stuck in some kind of weird '70s time warp. But it's…

1. Nadia says

Don’t take your ” personal” life to work with you…

Well, you know…we don’t want to get too far away from out computers!!!
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Trapped =-.

That is really funny. When we were house hunting in our new city we saw so many crazy things. This was before I knew about your blog or I would have taken a lot of pictures. The one house we looked at had converted the garage into a dark and creepy master bedroom but had left large windows on the one side and that is where they built a new garage. So when someone opened the garage door and drove in they were looking right into the master dungeon. We will never forget this odd house only wish we had pictures to share.
    .-= laura´s last blog ..Amazing giveaway =-.

Does it come with a can of Lysol spray? I wonder where meetings are held?
    What a strange set up…and strange space in a bathroom.
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..One Mans Trashcan =-.

5. Dean says

I keep thinking about how my Dad announced his retreat to the bathroom with reading material in tow: “I’ll be in the office, because the paperwork never gets done you know.”

This has got to be one of the strangest things I’ve seen.
    Julia: Any idea what part of the world this comes from?

• hookedonhouses says

Funny! It gives the “I’ll be in the office” statement whole new meaning.

A reader sent me this photo a few months ago and if he told me where it came from, I can’t remember. Sorry!

6. Chrissy Runciman says

NO, you see, we moved the bath into the office, as you do, right? Then we had all this great space in the bathroom! So you can see the natural progression can’t you? Can’t you? CAN’T YOU!!!!

7. Debbie says

Port-o-office; for the executive on the “go”.

Or: Some shit went down in the office today.

Or: The “head”-master’s office; where no one knows what tactics are used to flush out creative genius.

8. Sean says

Reminds me of the setup we had when I was growing up -My pop took out the garden tub from the master bath and converted it to my younger brothers room, creating “walls” with a few bookshelves, but you had to pass through rest of the bathroom to get to it – fortunalty for my brother, this only lasted till my older brother moved out – I can only imagine what people thought!

Multitasking at it’s finest, check out that tile work!

haha! Ok now this is just too too much! Honestly, what are people thinking? I think the real selling point of the home is another bathroom, not the “home office.” Yuck.
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Take it Off =-.

Oh noooo!!!! I think someone tried to rent me something very similar during university days. No wait – that was the dining room-cum-bedroom-cum-entry way. Holy hell.
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..My flipping background =-.

My guess is this was a Master Bath addition. They left a space a one end for an glider or treadmill but then got sick of doing work at the kitchen table. As disturbing as it may be to take client calls while nature calls, I am more freaked by the idea that this room is (without a doubt) badly insulated. All those knick-knack shelves go directly to exterior walls, the room is heated by a roll-about space heater and cooled with a little window unit that has been placed through the wall. The acoustics in the room may be great for singing in the shower, but for work? I won’t be asking to use his telephone…..
    .-= Alex´s last blog ..Outdoor Living Space- Day Seven =-.

12. Kim says

This is too funny! Just think if the wife had to go to the bathroom while the husband’s on the computer? “I hope I’m not disturbing you honey”. This should be on one of those bad design mistakes list.

13. Nita says

No, that was not a toilet flush you heard in the background, sir.

• Shelly Joseph says

I’m laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.. I was thinking of a little fridge like the ones you see in hotel rooms!!! Oh my this is too too funny

I’d probably label it office crap, but I’m not one to be politically correct.

“…Its a wrap!” That about covers it…
    Unbelievably hilarious…Your the best host Julia

“Ever conscious of his carbon footprint, Aaron decided this was better than adult diapers.”

“George felt Martha’s internet addictions had gone too far, but he didn’t know how–or when– to mention it.”

“Alice knew Gregory was taking potty training Greg Jr. too seriously when he introduced spreadsheets and multi-media presentations as motivational tools.”
    .-= Holley´s last blog ..Everything is new =-.

17. pamgalloway says

“Honey, we’re out of paper again!”

“No bums allowed. I’m trying to get some work done here.”

Darn, someone beat me to it: “Do your business and do your business.”

“You should see the conference room.”

THANK YOU for the laughs! :)

19. Joyce Ackley says

Fit for a King! A throne in the office makes everything come out better!

20. Sophie says

“With this dual-function room, the height of upcoming interior trends, you can now do business while your do your business!”

21. Anna .S says

Not too sure on this, I was hoping it was a fake snapshot. Certainly original I’ve never seen anything this nutty before.