Mickey Mouse’s Country House at Disney World

Mickey Mouse's House 2

My daughter Lily and I just returned from our trip to Disney World. One of our favorite attractions is Mickey Mouse’s house in Mickey’s Toontown Fair, so we always have to stop by for a visit. I took some photos for those of you who haven’t seen this cartoon house come to life.

Check out all those stroller’s lining the walk in front of Mickey’s house–it’s always crowded with little lookiloos:

Mickey Mouse's House 3

Did you know that they’re in the process of expanding Fantasyland? They were working on it while we were there, and I was told that Mickey’s Toontown Fair is going to be demolished to make room for it. They want to incorporate Disney Princesses and Fairies, as well as a big three-ring circus for Dumbo.

They say they’ll relocate Mickey and Minnie’s houses, but no word on where yet–at least not to me! (If you know anything about it, fill us in!)

Mickey’s front door:

Mickey Mouse's House-door

His Bedroom is right off the entry:

Mickey-bedroom

Mickey’s Living Room–where he stores his bike, even though he has a garage outside:

Mickey-living rm

Here’s Lily standing in front of Mickey’s fireplace (if you lean over that blue half-wall behind her, an alarm goes off–learned that the hard way!):

Mickey-fireplace

Here’s how the fireplace looked last December when we were there and it was decorated for Christmas:

Mickey's mantel-Cmas 09

Mickey’s kitchen is in a permanent state of comic construction:

Mickey-kitchen 1

Mickey-kitchen 2

The Rec Room (ping-pong, anyone?):

Mickey-rec rm

Mickey’s house was built in 1988 but has reportedly changed over the years. Is there anyone who visited it then who can spot the differences?

The garage is fully stocked with tools and other fun stuff, but no car (can mice drive?):

Mickey's garage

It’s hard to believe I got to go to Disney twice in less than a year. It’s a funny story, actually.

About a year ago I wrote down a “Dream List” of things I’d like to do, and “Take the kids to Orlando” was at the top. I added, “For free, all expenses paid, and staying in a Disney Resort.” Not that I believed that could ever happen, but I wrote it anyway, on a lark, and laughed. Then I pinned it to the bulletin board beside my desk.

Mickey Mouse's house 1

In December we came into some money we never saw coming and spent some of it on a trip to Disney. Soon after that, I got a call from my aunt saying she had won a trip to Orlando and wanted to take me and Lily as her guests. Wow. We even got to stay at the Disney Yacht Club Resort. (I’ll show you some photos of that tomorrow.)

So not only did that Dream List work, but it worked twice. Now I’m waiting for the rest of the things I wrote down to come true. :-)

What’s on your Dream List?

Minnie Mouse's House 1

You can see my tour of Minnie Mouse’s pink and purple house, which is next store to Mickey’s, here. Do you have a favorite?

Julia-simple teal signature

Those of you who follow me on Facebook know this has been a tough week. We were in Orlando on vacation when we heard that…
Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving
If you're hosting Thanksgiving at your house, raise your hand. I am. And I've been looking at my small dining room and wishing I could…

Comments

I love the idea of a dream list! I’ve been working on a “bucket list” of sorts, but a dream list sounds way more…dreamy! And if those dreams come true, I’m totally in.

I’ll take a brand new kitchen—fully paid for. And a week long paid trip to Barbados. Is that too much to dream for?
    .-= Kimberlee J.´s last blog ..Banya Day Spa-Everett- WA =-.

• Joyce says

Wow- all Julia wanted was to go to Didnee World!! LOL (I’ll add myself to the new kitchen wish list)

2. melissa says

So excited you did this post!!!
    Did you notice the picture of Goofy’s barn? I think it was in the hall going to the kitchen. It is the ride across from Mickey’s house. The picture shows it before the plane went through it. Too cute.
    Also, when we were there, a dad kept lifting his child over the security ‘ropes’ and setting the alarms off. I guess he didn’t care that no one else really appreciated all the alarms going off ALL the time. Or not being able to talk because of them.
    Third, did you see the hidden mickey on the fence post by the garden?
    We had the best time when we visited trying to find all the hidden Mickeys in all the parks. Have you tried finding them?

• hookedonhouses says

I didn’t notice the picture of Goofy’s barn! Also missed the hidden Mickey on the fence post. Now I need to go back again and pay more attention. :)

Well that’s just amazing Julia. Good for you…twice in a year and FREE! I’ve never been to Disney World. When I was little I went to DisneyLand and it was really fun. We’re not big ride people, so I was hesitant to take the girls and spend the money. Looks like there are lots of other things to do as well. That house was pretty fun.
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Fly =-.

Oh and let’s see dreaming. I’d love to have granite in the kitchen, a fireplace redo, a sectional sofa for my basement and the front yard landscaped…free would be amazing:)

5. Kathy :) says

Julia, one of my fave places on this earth !!!! I will have to check our pics of Mickey’s House, because right around that time we took our kids for the first time…. We stayed at the yacht club, in 2000 LOVED IT…my kids LOVED the pool slide…..most times we walked into Epcot but did take the boat ride…..even when my kids were little they loved Epcot !!! We were there for Christmas two years ago, we surprised the kids and let me tell you how fun that was , a whole different experience with them on their own, as it turned out they had friends there. So even when they’re grown it’s still the happiest place on earth.

I am going to go right now and make ME a dream list, of course I have one in my head, but I am going to write it down like you did and maybe mine will come true, are you supposed to reveal your wishes ??? Is a wish a dream come true ??

So happy yours did and your little LILY is the IMAGE of YOU !!!! :)

xo Kathy :)

• hookedonhouses says

We call Lily my “Mini Me.” My mom says she’s so much like me at that age “it’s scary.”

Also a trip to Disney! We want to go Thanksgiving…waiting…..we’ll see!

I keep telling my husband that Tinkerbell keeps calling me, telling me to come back…he said….tell her to send money…

Have a good one!

Lou Cinda :)
    .-= Lou Cinda´s last blog ..A New Vinyl =-.

7. Kathy :) says

I just found this :

Disney – A dream is a wish your heart makes (love hits vers Lyrics
    Album:
    A dream is a wish your heart makes,
    When you’re fast asleep,
    In dreams you lose your heartaches,
    Whatever you wish for, you keep.
    Have faith in your dreams and someday,
    Your rainbow will come smiling through

It has been years since I visited Disneyworld but I have to say that Mickey’s house was one of my favorite parts. I love the colors and the quirkiness of it all . To my surprise the wallpaper in the kitchen is the EXACT wallpaper my friend has in her dining room in Cincinnati! Now everytime I eat at her home I think of Mickey.

I like the Dream List idea. I will be putting one of these together soon and I’m certain another trip to Disney (maybe both Florida anc California) will be on it.
    .-= carol fun´s last blog ..Sampler Sunday =-.

I also got to go to Disney for free this year! A friend of mine asked me to come along and help her with her two small kids. I never got to go as a kid so of course I was happy to tag along. Mickey’s house was where the 3 1/2 year old hit his wall so we went across the street to Donald’s boat so he could have some down time. I did get to take his sister into Minnie’s house and she stood in the kitchen AMAZED! Can’t wait to see your pics :o)
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Seems like a no brainer =-.

How fun!! I haven’t been in Mickey’s house since 1998!!! The last time I was in Disney, we didn’t do the toon town area. Seeing it now makes me want to take my girls sooo badly! They would just love it. The kitchen is a real DIY dream, huh??! 😉

Love your idea of a dream list!! I hesitate to do it b/c then I’ll feel all disappointed when nothing comes through…but I guess it wouldn’t hurt.

Have a great day!
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Show Me the Progress! Party =-.

Julia! That is a crazy cool story about your all expense paid trip … I LoVe that story! And is Disney Detail the best or what? How absolutely adorable is everything about those houses? Cute post – and your little Lily is absolutely precious!
    .-= pollydove´s last blog ..Niagra on the Lake =-.

12. Cindy says

This was such a fun post. I also love the quirkiness of Toon Town and enjoyed devouring each picture and seeing all the little details. There is all this exaggerated fluffy stuff and then did you notice the two chairs at the kitchen table were just regular old folding chairs. Somebody must have had fun with that. Disney-anything is always a source of so much fun.
    Love your dreams story Julia, I think I’ll give it a try. What a super cute picture of Lily.

We took our daughter to Disney this past February; she was fascinated with both Mickey’s and Minnie’s houses. They are fun to tour!!
    About a week ago, I did a post on the book “Write It Down, Make It Happen”. I have been writing lists of things I’d like to do and things I’d like to accomplish. You are living proof it works!! I’m going to keep doing it!! Kudos to you!!

Oh i just LOVE that you did this post. I love Disney World and my little one is a huge Mickey fan. We are planning on going again next year and this time we will not miss Mickey’s house (we have missed everytime we go).. I have posted on my work wall take the kids to Disney for free twice.. LOL

I went to Disneyland when I was a child..it was fairly new then LOL! We’ve also taken our girls to Disneyworld. No one can do fantasy like Disney! I think when I saw the Disney castle, it was one of my first Hooked on Houses moments! Your Lily is such a doll, what a precous gift!
    My wish list always included one day going to Greece. I never thought it would be a reality, but next year my daughter and I are going to Italy, Greece and Ephesus, Turkey on a Mediterrianen cruise. Dreams can come true!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Home Again =-.

so stinkin’ cute! i’m sad they are demolishing it…the whole thing? really? i do love disney princesses though…i better start saving my pennies for that. :)
    .-= McCall´s last blog ..24th of July =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I was told that they will relocate the Barnstormer ride and Minnie and Mickey’s houses, but they weren’t sure where. If anyone knows, fill us in! -Julia

17. Dawn says

You lead a charmed life for sure. : )

Those are the cutest pictures and perfect for this blog.

Now I’d like to go to Disney World and see that stuff in person. Such fun!

(I went to Disney World and Disneyland when I was a kid but they have both changed a lot since then.)

18. Nita says

I hope Minnie takes better care of her house than Mickey does! I have to get doing my dream list! They say it does work to write your goals down and you just proved it!

Those houses are cute. They don’t have those at Disneyland.

His house looks exactly how I remember it, when I was there almost 20 years ago! LOL! I’m sure they’ve done some updates.

A dream list…I’ll have to think about that. We have almost achieved one of my major dreams….to be debt free! August 15th will be the last credit card payment. Now, we’ll just have the house. So, my dream would be for our savings account to miraculously fill up overnight! LOL!
    .-= Our Nifty Notebook´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday- Furry Baby =-.

20. Barbara says

The “dream list” is a wonderful idea!! I’m so happy that your dreams came true, and in what an appropriate place!

As I was looking at Mickey’s house, I was wondering if there’s anyone out there, who is REALLY into Disney that they have their homes decorated like this. I know they have the Disney paint colors, but I’m just wondering if anyone has really gone to extremes to have their home look like their favorite part of Disney World (or Land). Might be fun to find out!

• hookedonhouses says

If anyone does decorate in Disney style, I hope they’ll send me photos! I’d love to see that. :-)

21. Kim says

What a fun house! I can see why your family went back to there twice. If I was a kid, this would make an awesome play house.

22. MaryBeth says

I am planning a trip to Disney in October and I wanted to stay at The Yacht Club but now I am having second thoughts. I don’t think they gave you a crappy room because it was free, do you? If this is the conditions of all the rooms I would be very angry, did you ask for a different room? Ugh, I hate when you go away and your room is worst than the basement guest room! MB