Buyers Are Flying Away From This House…

by hookedonhouses on July 21, 2010

fly paper strip and Raid

And in the living room we have a lovely fireplace with a brick hearth, original hardwood floors, and what appears to be a serious pest problem. But don’t worry–they’ve got it covered between the flypaper and the Raid. So when do you want to move in?

(I love the Wikipedia entry for flypaper, which states, “Flypaper is as effective as many other methods involving insecticides. However, a twisted strip of flypaper hanging from the ceiling is considered by many to be aesthetically less acceptable than other methods…”)

Thanks to Karen for the photo–I needed a laugh today. I’m back from vacation and want to thank everyone who left well wishes on my Facebook page for my grandma!

Go to my Bad MLS Photos page to see more!

Lou Cinda July 21, 2010 at 9:46 am

What a hoot!! The realtor that took those photos should be sued!

I needed a laugh too!

Lou Cinda :)
.-= Lou Cinda´s last blog ..Saturday with Steveā€¦ =-.

Janell Beals July 21, 2010 at 9:51 am

Well, I love a honest review of a product! And seriously, this house is for sale?! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Watch Me Try To Build Something =-.

Lauren July 21, 2010 at 10:39 am

I just really, really don’t understand people. Who would put that in their house, much less leave it up in pictures when they’re trying to SELL their house?

Lacy July 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

Ha Ha. I dread having to put those things up and would die if anyone saw it, let alone, have buyers seeing it!

Jen July 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

Oh, that is just gross! Yuck. I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t move that stuff out for a picture, especially the realtor!
.-= Jen´s last blog ..The One That Was Ominous =-.

Amanda July 21, 2010 at 11:47 am

That just cracks me up! Your funny MLS section is one of my favorite things about your blog. :-) It always amazes me how people don’t take 5 seconds to move that kind of stuff! Are they in THAT big of a hurry??
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..A little Japanese flair =-.

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen July 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Ummm, call the exterminator? Flypaper is sooo retro (like 50 years ago0!
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..NOSTALGIC INSPIRATION FOUND IN THE GARDEN =-.

Jocelyn Stott July 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

HA! How disgusting!!! I have to admit though, fly paper does work. Once at work we had a real fly problem in our kitchen. I was asking our building maintenance people to deal with it but they kept ignoring the problem. Finally, I had had enough and bought some fly paper and hung it in the middle of the kitchen. Instantly there were a ton of flies on it, but people started complaining about the unsightly strip, which was part of my plan. Within a matter of hours, the guys were in there, taking care of the problem. Worked like a charm!
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..The BEST Caprese Salad EVER =-.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries July 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm

We have a fly problem here every late summer and although my husband loves to hang the strip in the garage – (FINE – just do it in the corner so I don’t see it) I put my FOOT down over the one I came home to in the kitchen.

He even tried this once…
.-= Kristen @ More Than Mulberries´s last blog ..Reagan and Piper Jane =-.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) July 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Wow…hahahaha! that’s pretty ridiculous. You have to wonder what is going on in the head of the realtor…Although I do have to say, that house has a LOT of potential! Brick fireplace, molding, mantle, and are those hardwood floors I spy along the sides of the room? Hmm…I would take a second look at this place! Plus you could probably get it for cheap, if it looked like THAT!
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Scenes From South Beach =-.

Holly July 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm

In my early years, we lived in a farming community, (I’m guessing that house might be too, based on the John Deere suncatcher), and guess what? if you live on a dairy farm, you’ve got flies! Lots of them! I remember those flypapers hanging in everybody’s kitchen. Ugh!
But taking an MLS picture? No.

Kim July 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm

LOL! This is too funny. It’s sad when a photo is so badly taken, that even I could take better pictures. If I were the homeowners, I would get a new realtor and take down that fly trap.

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Oh, mercy. I wonder how some people make it as Realtors anymore….
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Dear Family- =-.

Visual Vamp July 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Eew!
xo xo
.-= Visual Vamp´s last blog ..Kellie and Marc =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints July 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Oh no they didn’t!!!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..The gift of summer =-.

Nichole July 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I can’t believe my very first glimpse of fly paper is in an MLS listing!
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..I Have A Blog Really =-.

Pat July 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm

This picture makes me itch.
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Are You Dumber Then A Doorknob =-.

rie July 21, 2010 at 7:15 pm

That is just crazy!!!!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish July 21, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Lol! Oh that is bad! I mean cmon! I move crap out of the way to take pics in my house all the time! Can’t you be bothered to do the same when you are making thousands of dollars in commission? Sheesh!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Six Ways to Transform a Yard Sale Mirror =-.

Dean July 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Wrong on so many levels: The flypaper, the can of raid, the furniture “arrangement”, the kids artwork hanging in the window, the bric-a-brac lining the windowsill and the mantel. Jeez, what a train wreck!
I find it hard to believe a realtor shot this (although, I’ve seen some bad MLS listing pics thanks to you). Maybe this is a For Sale by Owner and the owners have no taste…or sense when taking this kind of pic?

Our Nifty Notebook July 21, 2010 at 11:25 pm

LOLOL! Now that is funny!
.-= Our Nifty Notebook´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday- Furry Baby =-.

Carmen July 21, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Really? They couldn’t remove the flypaper BEFORE they took the photo? Gross.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Isnt this cute =-.

Nancy@marcusdesign July 22, 2010 at 1:47 am

The photos that realtors take and use are not ceasing to amaze me! This is quite hilarious.

I’ll continue praying for you and your family!
Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..hot color combo for 2010 =-.

Elaine July 22, 2010 at 5:09 am

My gosh the realtor needs sacking, shame as the fire place looks cute has good light coming through the windows, but then not every one knows how to make a room look good.
.-= Elaine´s last blog ..House =-.

Mrs. R July 22, 2010 at 8:54 am

Oh my word! You are right, the raid would make me run far, far away! Fly paper? People still use that? This is all very strange indeed.
.-= Mrs. R´s last blog ..Researching Getaways =-.

Natalia @ FL Home Blog July 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm

hahahaha!!! I definitely needed that today!

Oh my goodness.

Nat

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com July 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Sexy fly trap! Not. Totally ick ;)
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com´s last blog ..Spells Book Review Mini =-.

Renee April 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm