In the book Simple Abundance, author Sarah Ban Breathnach asks, “If you moved into a completely new, empty house and started over–and money was no object–what are 20 specific things you’d consider ‘must haves,’ from architectural details to furniture and accessories?”
Sounded like a fun exercise to me, so I sat down and started making a list. Here are 5 that I came up with:
1. A screened porch with a stone fireplace.
2. A big, cheery laundry room with a window.
3. A back staircase leading down to the kitchen like the one in Practical Magic.
4. A mudroom with built-ins, benches, and closed storage for brooms and vacuums. Oh, and a potting area with sink that I can call my “Garden Center.” Does that count as more than one thing?
5. A wraparound front porch with a swing (or two).
Not only was this exercise fun, but it made me realize what is really important to me. For one thing, I crave a lot of outdoor living spaces. One porch is not enough!
The list also revealed how much I value practical and hard-working spaces like mudrooms, laundry rooms and closets. I care much more about how easy a house is to live in than how impressive it looks.
Now it’s your turn. What’s in your dream house?