A Real Estate Listing With Unexpected “Extras”

yellow cape 1 This yellow Cape Cod-style “condex” is for sale in New Hampshire. It looks like a nice enough little place, and it’s only $199,900. But imagine my surprise when I was looking through the photos and saw a few “extras” that the Realtor threw in! Check it out–a nice fireplace in the family room: yellow cape 2 And…a happy couple taking a walk: yellow cape 3 A songbird: yellow cape 4 A large master bedroom with sitting area: yellow cape 5 A kitchen with hardwood floors: yellow cape kitchen A couple playing tennis: tennis Uncle Sam’s hat with money falling into it (or flying out of it?): money hat And my favorite–a dog and cat that love each other: yellow cape-4 I’m guessing that the Realtor was trying to illustrate some of the amenities the community offers–tennis courts, walking paths, and…money hats. I wonder if the cute dog and cat come with the place, too?

Thanks to  Shannon for sending me the listing on a day when I needed a laugh!

Go to my Bad MLS Photos page to see more!

china doll heads-Country Living
When I first came across this photo in Country Living, I did a double-take. And then rubbed my eyes until they squeaked like a cartoon…
house with no front door
Areader named Stephanie sent me this listing from Georgia. She says she stared at it for awhile, trying to figure out why it didn't look…

Comments

Crazy! The fact that the door isn’t anywhere near the middle of the house bugs me. My sense of balance is very sensitive. Off-center in the middle, or to the right of a square are OK, but at the end? I couldn’t buy it. $200K for a 3 bdrm like this makes me thankful for our home prices in South Dakota…even if we do only get to look at corn fields! Thanks for the smiles.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Constipated Brain =-.

It’s good for a laugh, if nothing else! I love the little bird …it says “tranquil” all over it!
    I second the question…what is a condex?
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..An "A" For Effort =-.

3. hookedonhouses says

I have to say, I had never heard of a “condex” before, either! Maybe it’s a New Hampshire thing? :-)

• Tracey says

I know this is an older post, but I figured I’d clarify for non-New Englanders :) A “condex” is like a cross between a condo and a duplex- it’s like two single-family houses attached to each other. No common areas, no condo association or fees, and you pay separate property taxes. Most of the time the houses mirror each other, but in some cases (like this) they are just attached.
      As far as the extra photos in the listing, I see that quite often up here too :)

That’s too funny! I don’t know, if I liked the house, whether the extra photos would make me want to see the house even more or sending me running in the other direction. I guess it’s good to have a sense of humor!
    .-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..Halloween in May =-.

5. Kristen says

I agree with Catherine! It looks almost like the door was an afterthought? Too funny about the pictures though…it does kind of make you wonder how terrible IS this place that they have to resort to cheesy clip art to catch your attention? lol

Oh brother! That is beyond cheesy. As my friend would say that is “canned cheese”. Although I probably would at least go see a house that had a magic money hat!
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Eva Zeisel =-.

I love when you have these posts. Everyone does their job differently don’t they?
    Hysterical photos trying to paint the picture of one’s new life. The home could have used some professional staging or photo styling at the minimum. Keep up your humorous side!

Funny. Perhaps she was trying to set the mood? Like new tract home developers do in their brochures. They have no houses built yet so they have to show you how you will “feel” living in their neighborhood. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a money hat though. Was that Uncle Sam “taking” my money? Or giving me some to help me buy my house?
    .-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..Creative Art Idea from the Show House =-.

SHUT UP! This is hilarious!! Maybe the man and woman come with it and keep the grounds and home tidy!

Lou Cinda :)
    .-= Lou Cinda´s last blog ..MET MONDAY =-.

10. Destiny says

I grew up and lived in New Hampshire until recently and I’m thinking that the crazy Uncle Sam hat may represent the fact that New Hampshire doesn’t have a general sales tax or an income tax, and they are presenting it as a draw to the state. Shameful listing!

11. Sandy says

I HAD to look up what condex meant.

2-unit condo (condex), or a duplex, and both floors are usually owned by one person who lives in one and rents the other (or rents out both).

Then I became confused again when a realtor stated that he felt it was a 2 unit complex, where individuals only own their own unit. But the first one came from someone who was familiar with these types of units because there are several in her area.

12. hookedonhouses says

Thanks, Sandy. The mystery of the “condex” has been solved. Sorta. :-)

Do they throw in the pets, the hat full of cash and the bird plus bird feeder for a full price contract? Or is there a bidding war?? Thanks for the giggle!!

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Reds on the Line =-.

14. Barbara H. says

My guess is that the money hat represents the $8,000 that Uncle Sam was giving away to promote home sales. Just recently found your blog – I’m enjoying it!

hilarious! my house came with a money hat, too. i can confirm that the money is flying TO uncle sam and OUT of my pocket. i would like to trade the money hat for a nice songbird. maybe i should contact the realtor!
    .-= rachel´s last blog ..tuesday thoughts =-.

16. Jeannine520 says

hmm…I’ve been looking for a house that comes with a “money hat”, I’d guess a positive cash flow would be a guarantee.

Hey Julia,

This is without doubt a very nice property.
    I am not sure of what is the avg. property value in New Hampshire, but I guess $299k should be a good price in exchange of what I see from the picture.

I see some opportunities to do some decor on the yards. Perhaps can create a low maintenance backyard – Plant some flowers, sturdy trees and get a porch chair etc.

Jay Chua
    Publisher, PorchSwingSets.com
    .-= Jay Chua´s last blog ..Atlantic Outdoor Iron Patio Double Glider =-.

Just when I think we’ve seen it all in bad mls listings–you do it again and prove to us that there are still nutty people out there. I love the 1990s couple on the walk. I’m sure they are talking about how they are going to update their new home with some hunter green and mauve.

.-= angela | the painted house´s last blog ..Bring Hotel Style Home =-.

19. Billy says

Okay so my guess:

Couple 1. unit perfect for starting out or couple 2 empty-nesters, but could be paths that take you back in time to the tennis courts.

Bird: quiet complex or has forest setting.

Money hat: fed tax credit ifin purchase contract by 4/30/10 (agree with above)

Cat n Dog: complex pet friendly.

Condex: a condo that attached to one other unit (duplex mashed with condo.)

This is better than the high end house websites that show macro pix of an orchid or an objet de art, that the decorator billed $165, marked down from $250, that I could pick up in Tijuana for fin if I had the guts to cross the boarder, and other stuff that doesn’t even go with the house.

20. greenie says

I guess the money hat is for all those strangers and animals I’ll have to support if I buy this condex and all it’s “extras”.
    Thanks for the laugh!

Actually, I think the dog has a glint in his eye. I don’t fancy that cat’s chances once the camera goes away.
    When we were house shopping, we were very tickled by a (waterfront) house listing which was careful to state Ducks not included. Too bad, we would have paid an extra $100k for them! :)
    .-= Struggler´s last blog ..Giveaway Winner and Three Trends on the Turn =-.

Oh I’m so glad you did a post on it! I’ve been laughing at that MLS post for months (cause it’s been for sale for a loooong time.) Sometimes they even change the ridiculous pictures. I knew when I found your site that I just had to send it in, haha – glad to see so many others seemed to have gotten a kick out of it as well!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Kitchen Renovation – Day 3: Window, Lights and Crisis Recap =-.

23. Sara says

Too funny! I saw this posting since my husband and I are looking to relocate. I thought it was pretty odd myself!

I desire to make use of some of the content material on my weblog. Naturally I’ll offer you a link on my web blog. Thanks for sharing.