This Week’s News from the Homefront

Lettered Cottage-old doorEasy, Affordable Ways to Add Character to a New House: The Lettered Cottage.

What $300,000 Buys You Around the Country: YRE.

Sting Sells Central Park West Duplex for $19 Million: HuffPo.

Jaeger & Ernst fireplaceCustom Cabinets and Furniture to Drool Over: Jaeger & Ernst.

How to Organize Your Garage: CasaSugar.

Beautiful “Book Rooms” for Book Lovers: Occasional Enthusiast.

Earthbound movie set-kitchen with swingSneak Peek at the Sets in the New Kate Hudson Movie: Visual Vamp.

Do You Dream Big? Heather Bullard.

Financially Strapped Homeowners Abandoning Their Houses: MSN.

A Beach Cottage-tablescapingHow to Create a Coastal-Chic Tablescape: A Beach Cottage.

Have You Been Watching Brothers & Sisters? Nora’s gorgeous kitchen caught fire last week and gave us all a scare: Nora’s House.

Hope you have a great weekend. We’re celebrating Lily’s 8th birthday today with lots of her little friends–and cake! :-)

Comments

Hi Julia,
    Thanks again for your great post on my kitchen yesterday and thanks for having a great blog! Did you see Paris Hilton’s apartment pics on yahoo yesterday. That would be a great post to do. She even has a pink Bentley.

Have a great weekend.

xo
    LeAnn
    .-= LeAnn´s last blog ..I still love orange part 2 =-.

2. Jano says

I was enjoying all the links – dreaming up things I could do to my little 1949-and-never-remodeled house. Then I read the MSN article and my blood pressure started to spike. Bad government policy that forced lenders to lower standards, essentially removing the concept of creditworthiness from the process, and permitting people to qualify for loans without enough supporting income was a massive mistake. Combine the lousy policy with foolish people who ignored the cardinal rules of managing consumer and mortgage debt, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. More infuriating is that this incompetence is hurting everyone else who is making timely payments.

There’s a part of being hooked on houses that can’t be ignored, and that’s knowing the facts of finance, and not letting your dreams overtake common sense. The concepts are easy to understand if consumers would just take the time. Quick! I need another pretty link!

That Kate Hudson Movie house is so adorable, love it!! My favorite of course is the swing. I am beyond jealous of anyone who has the space (and the strength of ceiling) to hang a swing indoors. That has to be the best seat in the house. I know if I had one I would be in it 24/7!!
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Mint Julep =-.

Julia,
    Give your sweet Lily an extra birthday hug for me! My DD & hubby’s birthday were this week also. Hum, must be something in the water!
    Thanks for the fun links they look good!
    Cathy
    .-= THE STYLISH HOUSE´s last blog ..Crystal Rose Cottage! =-.

5. Kim says

Thanks for sharing all of this with us. I love Nora’s house. I hope the kitchen is alright.

6. Nita says

Thanks Julia for the links, good or bad. I can’t stand that set from the movie. It looks like something we were all trying to avoid back in the 1970s! LOL!!!!

Seems like everyone, now Sandra Bullock, wants to move to New Orleans. I have a niece there, and it’s decidedly still dangerous to live there. We worry about her all the time. But, I guess the movie stars can buy bodyguards. They need them there. )

7. Nita says

Happy birthday, Lily!!!

Jano, so right you are! It was the government that ordered the bank to make the bad loans because they wanted a giveaway to voters, low income voters. The worst part about it is that they are insisting once again that banks make bad loans!!! YES! Unbelievable! People look at this and have NO qualms about walking away from a house they will never see their return back on.

Julia,
    I love your round-ups. Did you notice how much red carpet was in Sting’s place? What’s up with that? I love that house Omaha, that neighborhood is so neat. That listing in Rowlett is classic Dallas suburbs – grass-less backyard. Yuck! It’s downright difficult to shop for a house around here with a pool, if you want grass as well. I ended up choosing grass over a pool. I only question my sanity in July and August. :)
    .-= Nichole´s last blog ..A Phone Conversation =-.

I always enjoy your posts with all the links – this was a great one! Although, the only thing I like in Sting’s place is the staircase! He actually paid money for that decor?

10. Tsumicat says

Hi Julia,
    Hope the birthday party went well. Thanks for the Hope Floats pics. I love that house.