Tony Shalhoub’s Cottage on Martha’s Vineyard

Tony Shalhoub and Brooke Adams Cottage on Martha's Vineyard

Actor Tony Shalhoub and his wife Brooke Adams have a charming cottage on Martha’s Vineyard where they spend their summers with their family. Country Living featured their 2,500 square foot saltbox recently, and I loved it.

Tony Shalhoub's Cottage on Martha's Vineyard

In the article, Katy McColl writes: “Although you might expect a couple of Hollywood stars to opt for a seaside manse with marble bathrooms and an infinity pool, Shalhoub and Adams — who met in 1989 while performing on Broadway — chose this getaway precisely because it’s an antidote to their family’s other life, in Los Angeles.”

Tony Shaloub's Cottage on Martha's Vineyard - Dining Area

The house was built in the 1930s by a man who–on a bet–used only a hammer and handsaw. As a result, the house has no insulation or drywall, and a few other quirks, as well.

What a fun idea to hang small paintings up the staircase like this (and I love those old books stacked on the table, too!):

Tony Shalhoub and Brooke Adams Cottage on Martha's Vineyard

A lot of DIY projects were involved in decorating the house. For example, Brooke’s sister Lynne built their daughter Sophie this bed with white picket fencing:

Bed with picket fence headboard

This looks like the perfect place to spend the summer to me! I’ll probably need to get my own TV show to afford it, though. Did you know that the cost of living on the island is 60% higher than the national average? And housing prices are 96% higher (via the Vineyard Gazette).

Tony Shalhoub's Martha's Vineyard Cottage Kitchen

Visit Country Living to read the article and see the entire slideshow of the cottage. (Photos by Lucas Allen.)

Tony Shalhoub and Brooke Adams Cottage on Martha's Vineyard Exterior

P.S. Visit my Celebrity Houses page for more, including…

Jack-Hannas-log-cabin-in-Montana

Theresa Smith-mobile home-Country Living
Theresa Smith owns an antiques business in Glendale, Kentucky, where she lives in this double-wide mobile home. It may look unassuming from the outside, but…
TreehouseADsketch
“A tree house should never overpower the tree in which it is built. It should sit lightly in the branches.” -Jeanie Stiles Have you ever dreamed…

Comments

1. Cori Heffernan says

I loved the fact that they kept the green formica. How many hollywood folks can say that? BTW tonite is a new design show that looks really good. I can’t remember the name of it but it is about a husband and wife design team and their 7 kids living in NYC.

I just received my Country Living magazine last night and saw this house. I immediately thought of your blog and wondered if it would be showing up soon. Yay! I have fallen in love this house. It looks so quaint and relaxing!
    .-= Missie@Crafting with Cat Hair´s last blog ..Please, Mr. Postman =-.

3. hookedonhouses says

Cori–
    It’s called “9 by Design” and it’ll be on Bravo. I’ve got my DVR set to record it. I watched their preview episode and it looks good! -Julia

That cottage is gorgeous: *because* it’s not perfect, *because* its not brand-spanking new and precisely co-ordinated. But amazing to me that even the most casual, non-fussy living comes at steep prices. How the other half lives, eh?
    .-= Kirsten´s last blog ..A Happy Place =-.

Love it, of course. And the Martha’s Vinyard/Nantucket style will def. be more affordable in Kansas!!! BTW, we went to the Wichita Spring Parade of Homes this weekend and saw some great (and not so great) houses and got some neat ideas for the dream home. It’s always a learning experience. Went into a $209,000 house and saw some great finishing touches; also went into a $1.5 million house and left vastly disappointed — mainly b/c of the decorating choices: horrible carpets and wall paint, odd layout, decor in a style (or styles) not fitting the style of house. It’s bizarre where some people put their money when building. But 1 house had a 6-car garage (and oversized at that) that had 3 entrances into the home. Good grief!!!!
    .-= Sheila´s last blog ..Cardsharp vs. card shark =-.

6. Heather Collins says

I had to visit HOH first thing this morning……its been that kind of week so far!
    Thanks for this post, it was a refreshing uplift!

If I had to use one word to describe this house..it would be “refreshing”. You kind of get the ahhh feeling when you look at the pictures. What a great job of decorating, nothing shouts at you, but instead urges you to relax and enjoy the surroundings. How cool!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..MY NEW SPECS =-.

8. Terri says

There are some wonderful ideas in this cute little house. That built in day bed and the little single bed with the fence headboard. Thanks for the Post.

I like the simplicity and brightness of Tony’s house! I love both Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. I would be very content to live on either island, but as you pointed out Julia that would mean I’d have to somehow be very rich! :-)
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Spring Angels, Flowers, and Beautiful Vistas =-.

I love how they’ve painted all the wood (walls up to ceilings) in a nice crisp white. Had they kept the original dark wood it would have looked as crisp or fresh. I usually never like to paint wood, but sometimes it’s for the best.

I love Tony Shaloub! This house is truly fantastic. I would choose it over a mansion any day. It feels so peaceful. The lack of insulation would probably make it much less peaceful in the winter 😉
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Apparently… =-.

gasp! I’m in love! This has got to be one of my favorite homes you’ve featured. (Not sure how I missed it in Country Living, but….) I see now why it’s a “summer home”…without any insulation! Yikes. What a fun retreat for them. Nice to see his face too…I miss Monk. :-)
    .-= Courtney @ Nesting Instincts´s last blog ..my {extreme} master bedroom makeover =-.

Love this cottage. I’m very much wondering where my Country Living is. I know I have a subscription…
    .-= Nichole´s last blog ..14 Years =-.

14. Kim says

I love Tony, he’s an amazing actor. Now that’s a cottage I would actually love to live in. It’s the same size as my families current home. That cottage has great style too.

Wow Julia, I love this home. I love the cottage look anyhow, but this is over the top amazing. I also love it when you show the porches or outdoor areas of homes that you post about. I love your blog….love all these homes! Hope you are doing great!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

16. E. George says

Hi Julia what can I say that you and all the other girls have not said already. Can I say yes please I want that house. Thank you for this beautiful post you did it again… Must tell you someone brought back catalogues from Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel so many beautiful things and ideas wish we had them here I would send us bankrupt. Hope you guys are enjoying Spring weather and of course the flowers… Till next time Regards Esther from Syndey….

Thanks so much for posting this…I tried to see it on Country Living and I kept getting a blank screen….I’m vacationing on MV in June for the first time and I can tell you the rental prices are insane and the people renting them are even crazier!!
    Thanks for the tip off on the cost of living…I think we will bring a few boxes of food from home!

18. Kathy :) says

Hey Girlfriend remember me ??? I can’t wait to go back and read all about MV, I love that island….I have been quite a few times….but can you believe I have never done Nantucket ??? This summer for sure…..

I hope you had a nice Easter and the bunny was good to Lily :) We spent this year out in CA, La Jolla, we had such a nice time….but I tell ya they can have their earthquakes, that was a first for me and I pray to God the last !!!! Julia it was so scary, have you ever experienced one…

Well I am off to Dreamland……just wanted to pop in and let you know I still exisit lol

All the best,
    xo Kathy :)

First of all I am so very fond of all of Tony’s work. Their house on Martha’s vineyard it charming. It’s a real “fishing camp”. A place where you kick off your shoes, play scrabble and make memories that money can’t buy. Good for you Tony and Brooke!! I think you have your priorities in line.

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Tiny Table Top Tea Party =-.

20. Cheryl says

Love it, so fresh! The painted vaulted ceiling made my heart skip a beat. This is going in my dream cottage file – which is more of a 3″ binder than a file. It’s my version of the Sears Wishbook.
    I just picked up the April issue and no Tony’s cottage. Is it in the May issue?

• hookedonhouses says

Cheryl–
      It’s in the May issue. Mine just arrived yesterday! -Julia

HAHA – shouldn’t their house be in Nantucket?! (from his days on Wings)
    What a beautiful house! My dream home is on MV. I love that island so much! One reason why it is so expensive is because everything has to come via boat from the Cape.

~angela
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..I’m a Cat… =-.

22. Glori says

I think this is a wonderful house, it’s great to see what they did with it, with Brooke being the decider, and Tony realizing what great decisions she made! I love the built-in couch and what they did with it!