A New Blog Party: Freaky House-Photos Friday

by hookedonhouses on March 26, 2010

neighbors-splitDo you ever get tired of all the picture-perfect rooms on blogs and in magazines? Do you ever feel like your house just doesn’t stack up? I do! But I have a solution–a blog party I’m going to call Freaky House-Photos Friday. There’s nothing like looking at a few not-so-great spaces to make you feel instantly better about yours!

I know I’m not the only one who gets a kick out of odd or ugly rooms because my Bad MLS Photos are some of my most popular posts. You know you love ‘em. You may leave comments like, “My eyes are burning!” and “I just lost my appetite for lunch!” but you keep coming back for more, don’t you?

If you have a blog and want to play along, here are a few ideas for things you could show us:

#1: Something you found in the real estate listings.

red carpet-pillows-blinds-treadmill

#2: A room from an old magazine or decorating book.

BHG gold-avocado foyer#3: A room from a magazine that’s supposed to be chic, but you’re not so sure.

KellyWearstlerLR#4: A room in your house that you want to change. (Ask for ideas!)

tub with mirrors#5: A room that used to look freaky before you fixed it up. (Show us the after!)

pink dining roomMark your calendars: Friday, April 2, we’ll take a break from all the prettiness to ugly-up our blogs for one day, have a few laughs, and make everyone feel better about their own homes. Who’s with me?

(Photos via an old BHG Decorating book, Domino, and the real estate listings.)

To see more design-challenged rooms, visit my Bad MLS Photos page.

Christine March 26, 2010 at 7:18 am

This should be fun! I miss your blog parties!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Rainy Day =-.

The Handyguys March 26, 2010 at 7:23 am

Count us in. Of course handyguys and gals don’t have ugly houses but may have a few fun pics laying around.
.-= The Handyguys´s last blog ..Episode #105 – Picking Paint Colors =-.

pattie and allie March 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

FUN! I love the “designer” rooms that crack me up! (speaking as a designer LOL)
xoxo Pattie
.-= pattie and allie´s last blog ..Tablescape Thursday and are you a gadget person?? =-.

Janet March 26, 2010 at 7:30 am

Ooo, fun. I can’t wait.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..HAPPY WEEKEND! =-.

Beth@The Stories of A2Z March 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

SUCH a great idea Julia! Looking forward to it!
.-= Beth@The Stories of A2Z´s last blog ..Bunnies, Burlap, Bird nests, Mercury Glass, and Feathers…Oh My! =-.

black eyed susans kitchen March 26, 2010 at 7:50 am

I can think of several Pepto Bismol pink houses to photograph…this will be fun!
Susan
.-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..IT’S A SMALL WORLD…AFTER ALL =-.

Screaming Meme March 26, 2010 at 8:23 am

Hi, I am soo glad I came across your blog again…I absolutely love it! You inspire so many people with this blog! Hi, I’m Meme from Screaming Meme…It is so nice to of found you again…I want to personally invite you over to Screaming Meme…I look forward to visiting soon! Meme

Lesley @ The Design File March 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

Ha ha! So fun. I’m really looking forward to this.
.-= Lesley @ The Design File´s last blog ..Orange: Is it the new neutral in home decor? =-.

Mike March 26, 2010 at 8:26 am

Yay! Great idea!

Cashon & Co. March 26, 2010 at 8:26 am

am i crazy that i like the #3 room, thats supposed to be chic, but we’re not so sure? i like it! ;)
but the rest—-OY! The first image and the word “freaky” go hand in hand.

hookedonhouses March 26, 2010 at 8:27 am

Kellie (Cashon & Co.)–Not crazy! I tried to pick something that could go either way. -Julia :-)

LOVE WHERE YOU LIVE March 26, 2010 at 8:43 am

I already smiled at the “we’re not sure it’s chic” one…cheers, -s
.-= LOVE WHERE YOU LIVE´s last blog ..What Do You Think of My Meditation and Yoga Room? =-.

christy March 26, 2010 at 8:44 am

Great idea – I’m putting my thinking cap on now. Have a great weekend Julia!

LoveFeast Table March 26, 2010 at 8:50 am

I love this post and saw the same room #3 and my first thought was how could anyone hang a turd picture in their room and call it fabulous?!!
.-= LoveFeast Table´s last blog ..Fancy Friday-Pictures =-.

Amy Skehan March 26, 2010 at 9:03 am

This is a great idea! It reminds you of how bad it can be!!!
.-= Amy Skehan´s last blog ..~Enter This Way Please~ =-.

angela | the painted house March 26, 2010 at 9:21 am

Fun! I’ll do it!!!!
.-= angela | the painted house´s last blog ..The Painted House is Local =-.

Jenny March 26, 2010 at 9:38 am

I love this idea! How fun!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Wordful Wednesday: Humane Society Field Trip =-.

Nichole March 26, 2010 at 10:01 am

What a great idea! I wish I had some of the photos from the real estate listing of my current house. I might need to do a little detective work. :)
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..I Lost The Battle Of The Suitcase =-.

isa March 26, 2010 at 10:15 am

hahahaha I love it. I’ll definitely play along. You always have the most fun parties, Julia!
Have a good weekend!
xo Isa

Tricia Rose March 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

Will creep down the road with my camera – boy do I have one for you!
.-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..Sea Art in Life =-.

Vanessa March 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

Sounds like a great idea! I have a lot of not so pretty client “before” photos.
.-= Vanessa´s last blog ..Fresh Bedrooms for Spring =-.

Katie March 26, 2010 at 11:29 am

can’t wait….hehehehe…..
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Big Tom =-.

Amy March 26, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow! That first house reminds me of two-face from Batman. Oddly enough, I’d like either of those sides if they were by themselves.

Sadly, I can’t play along because I’ll have just gotten back in town from vacation…

Stephanie Lynn March 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm

What a fabulous idea!! Seeing ugly is always fun {as long as it’s not your own} =)

Can wait to see what’s instore. Hope you have a great weekend!
.-= Stephanie Lynn´s last blog ..A Playroom With Room to Play and Space to Grow =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Oh my word…I am SO taking pictures of my Nannie’s house while I’m on Spring vacation. ;) She got stuck in a decorating time warp in the late 1970s and never emerged.
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..The Peacock Shop (Giveaway!) =-.

Melanie March 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Oh Lord, this sounds like fun.
.-= Melanie´s last blog ..My small pantry solution. =-.

Josanne March 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm

This is going to be great! I am looking forward to these-and your example pics are a good start! :) I enjoy your blog-love looking at houses!
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..My Marriage Tips =-.

Struggler March 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Nice idea!
I think I’ll be showing a room from my house and pretending I found it on a real estate listing ;)
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Would You Put Your Bed Against a Window? =-.

Kim March 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Sounds fun! I’ll have to start searching for a good picture to feature in April’s Freaky House-Photos Friday.

anna see March 26, 2010 at 4:30 pm

sounds like fun! i’ve got more befores here than afters, sadly.
.-= anna see´s last blog ..Guess Whose Doctor Told Her to Lose 15 Pounds? =-.

Puna March 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Oh I feel so good about my house now:) Thank you!
.-= Puna´s last blog ..There’s Something About Ella =-.

Julie M ~ The Little Red Shop March 26, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Mmm..this is going to be good!

: )

Julie M.
.-= Julie M ~ The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Blessed Assurance… =-.

Nancy@marcusdesign March 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Love this idea!! Fun and creative, I bet people are going to come up with stuff we couldn’t have even made up or imagined!! Looking forward to this Julia :)
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..{fashion meets interior design} =-.

Heather March 26, 2010 at 9:16 pm

What a fun idea! I’ll have to look for some hideous things for you! I’ve been MIA, but am having fun looking back over posts I’ve missed!
.-= Heather´s last blog ..My friends, I’ve been busy =-.

seanymph March 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Oh goodie, Ill post my hideous yellow kitchen that I just bought with the really high ceilings and see what you all come up with.

The Stylish House March 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Julia,
What a fun party idea! Are basements included, because mine is very scary!
Cathy
.-= The Stylish House´s last blog ..ZINC All Grown Up! =-.

Staz March 28, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I am totally up for this! Our house was a hot mess when we bought it three years ago so I have lots of material for this. :-)
.-= Staz´s last blog ..*fist pump!* =-.

rosie at 3 rosebuds March 31, 2010 at 8:44 am

I would love to participate in this one! My dining room (thankfully) looks nothing like it did when we moved in!
.-= rosie at 3 rosebuds´s last blog ..oreo truffle goodness =-.

Elaine's Semi-Homemade Life April 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Great idea!!! I love looking at disasters, lol!
.-= Elaine’s Semi-Homemade Life´s last blog ..Woo hoo! =-.

Whitney July 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

Reminds me of Tommy Lee Jones’ character, Two-Face, from Batman Forever!

{ 3 trackbacks }