In This Trophy Room, There Are No Winners

Animal house-exterior

This Tudor-style home with a slate roof is on the market in Wisconsin for $650,000. It has four bedrooms, a large wooded yard with a waterfall pond, and a four-car garage. The agent describes it as “elegant yet deceiving.” That’s one way to put it! When you step inside, you may be surprised by what you see:

Animal house-zebras

That’s right–stuffed zebras. A pair of them. Step into the den and you’ll find what I’m going to guess is not a faux zebra-skin…

Animal House-den

And finally, just when you’ve seen enough dead critters for one “elegant yet deceiving” house, there is what the agent refers to as “The Trophy Room:”

Animal House-trophy room

Check my Bad MLS Photos page to see more!

Comments

That’s disturbing! Why wouldn’t these people put all of that carnage in storage while trying to sell their home? Why would this realtor publish these photos…are the Palins looking to relocate to Wisconsin? Good grief!
    .-= Bella´s last blog ..Time For Pumpkin Cake! =-.

2. Kate says

Oh.my.gawd! I wonder how many realtors told them to “get rid of the dead animals before listing” before they got one that would list the house as-is.

3. Kellye says

Oh my…I think this one is now tied with the “doll room” for most creepy factor!

Oh Lord. That’s just creepy. My family is full of hunters and NONE of us has EVER had that much stuffed. Good Lord. You don’t need to keep ALL your “trophies” people!
    .-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Top 15 Heart Healthy Foods =-.

5. Amy says

Cripes, my realtor had a fit because one of our bathrooms has dark green tile trim (from the previous owners). She insisted there was no way we could list it without removing the trim first. How can these people get away with listing a house full of dead animals?!

That’s not a trophy room; that’s a zoo. Or a taxidermy showroom. Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom meets the Addams Family.

Perhaps a tactful realtor should have encouraged them to rent a storage building?

7. Melissa says

I would call this one “PETA’s Worst Nightmare”…yuck!

I’m so freaked out! These bad MLS pics are one of my favorite features. This one, however, could use a category of it’s own…disturbing MLS pics! Marija
    .-= Marija´s last blog ..Just do it =-.

Oh it makes me sad just looking at these pictures. Seriously, couldn’t they put them in storage while their house is on the market?!?!
    .-= christy´s last blog ..The witching hour =-.

10. Sara says

But wait…! If everyone listened to their realtors we wouldn’t have the fun of “Bad MLS Photos”! Or, in this case, “CREEPY MLS Photos”. 😀

“Deceiving” is putting it mildly! I saw the exterior shot and thought what a beautiful home. Then the first interior shot and I said, “Oh my God” out loud {and I’m sitting here by myself}. I would never have made it past the foyer if I had been taken to look at this house; I don’t care how lovely the outside is. That’s some scary stuff going on in there.

Can anyone say, anger issues? Either this person is seriously angry at all things furry or they have watched one too many episodes of Wild Kingdom. Or . . . maybe they work at a a zoo and all these animals died of natural causes. Any way you look at it, someone please stop them now!!!! Please!!!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..DIY of the Week – Chocolate Filled Natural Easter Eggs =-.

Zebras and goats and deer, oh my! Wait, is that really a goat? I have heard of people hunting a lot of things but, a goat? This whole house is just really creepy. I would be afraid to close my eyes at night.
    .-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Craziness =-.

Wow, I kid you not, I think those people used to live here. We had a house for sale with all kinds of dead wildlife mounted here, there and everywhere. It was hideous, but the house was good otherwise. In the “no staging” land that I live in it sold anyway…go figure!
    Janet
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..FOUND =-.

15. Becky says

I sure hope no realtor shows it to clients who are members of PETA.

If they were serious about selling- the animal kingdom would be gone. Often I blame the agent for not having a backbone. Agents need to encourage the seller to list the home in the best possible light. Often we as stagers are used as the “bad cop” so agents don’t offend and lose a listing.

I love a good belly laugh over bad MLS’. Thanks

Uhhhhh, this is quite embarrassing for those of us in Wisconsin that don’t hunt, fish, stuff, taxidermy or display our treasured ‘kills’. I can only hope these people are located way up in boofoo northern WI and not in the Milwaukee area! And I also hope no one buys this offensive home.
    .-= Sara @ Russet Street Reno´s last blog ..A maroon masterpiece =-.

18. Cori Heffernan says

OMG! They say to put your pictures away when your trying to sell house ! Add to that your BIG DEAD ANIMALS!!!

19. Cathryn says

Just call it a showcase house, sponsored by Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom.

20. greenie says

My caption is “Welcome to vegetarian hell!”
    And as a vegetarian, this is so over-the-top offensive I would turn around and walk out. Which is a shame, because the exterior looks nice.

21. Chelle says

First of all – Seriously????
    I would call it “The Dead Zoo”.
    Set up the pictures of the listing at every Cabelas in Wisconsin. It will sell.

22. Jeannine520 says

Oh dear, good luck getting people to even come to look at that house. I wish I were kidding (but unfortuately I’m not), my inlaws have a trophy room that’s almost identical to that one. It’s just horrible and they’re so proud of it they don’t even see it as creepy.

Oh my! I was kind of scared to scroll down! There needs to be a warning: No Young Children permitted at viewing. Mine would have nightmares for months!!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Signing Off =-.

My first impression was indeed “Night at the Museum”. The strange thing to me is why wouldn’t the owner bring them with him (her)?
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Alder Newel Posts =-.

I was going to use the caption that Mary above used, “Where the Wild Things Are”. It must be these homeowners’ goal to help further along the extinction of certain animals! Being originally from Louisiana, I’m used to seeing the occasional deer head on a wall, which I have always found offensive. But this is so over-the-top obscene I have no words! It’s really a shame too, because prospective buyers would be so distracted by all those eyes looking at them that they would never see what truly could be a lovely house .
    .-= Cyndi´s last blog ..I’m Back! =-.

Okay, I’m sure that I would have nightmares from walking into this house.
    My husband, however thinks it’s “SWEEEEET! It’s like your own Gander Mountain right in your own home!”
    Yeah. Good thing I make the decorating decisions around here. 😉
    .-= Tricia´s last blog ..Thrifty Thursday =-.

Oh my goodness! Either the agent is too scared he’ll become a “trophy” if he tells the homeowner to take some of that out or the person who lives there is a bachelor. Because I don’t know any woman who could live like that!!! I don’t mind stuffed ‘trophy’ animals- to each their own- but not that many and not all over my house!
    WOW is about the only thing to say lol! Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Kristi @ Creative Kristi´s last blog ..Dog Food =-.

Oh my God! I’m actually terrified of that room! And the sad thing is, it really takes away from the beautiful bones the house has (look at those exposed beams).

It should be labled: “Lions, and tigers, and bears! (And zebras, and wolves, and goats, and birds…)”
    .-= Amber´s last blog ..tuesday morning =-.

29. countryfrenchJudi says

The Taxidermist that has a home based business!

Yikes!!! I wouldn’t like all those beety eyes looking at me.

The house looks so nice from the outside. The inside is a completely different story. I think the real estate agent needs to do a little staging and put a “few things” in storage.
    .-= susie´s last blog ..~ MY FIRST GIVEAWAY ~ =-.

31. Kim says

The Outside looks nice and charming, but the inside is so terrifying. I almost didn’t notice that plasma tv. It’s a good thing those animals don’t come to life or that would be a problem. These people need “Design to Sell” to come and help sell their house.

There’s could be so much potential in this house, if the house didn’t reflect the homeowners so much. Realtors have said on HGTV, that a selling home should not reflect the owners personality and I agree.

I don’t know about you guys, but when I see a house like this, it makes me want to go fix up the house and make it feel more inviting.

32. Xdm says

I didn’t even know Ted Nugent HAD a house in WI! (And as a Wisconsonite. Mygod. Sorry.)

33. Melinda says

Wow, it makes “The Jungle Room” at Graceland look quaint by comparison!

34. Claire says

Not enough people in the world have heard about the tv show “Designed to Sell.”

35. Cammie says

I actually used to work for a doctor that has a room similar to this one! I called it his “Wild Kingdom” room! When you walk into the front door, there is a banister to the right, and below is room that is open from the basement floor level to the 2nd floor level. It is COVERED with bison, cheetah, zebras, hyenas, and water buffalo. Those are just a few! It was very interesting. Of course he has the usual turkeys, deer, and a few other select birds. Oh, and I forgot the mountain goat. :)

Whoa!! This is exactly why I will not let my husband “start” with a deer. We’d end up with this room in 20 years!!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..Missing Jackson =-.

UGH! Seriously this house resembles my brother’s home in Illinois. He has a dozen deer heads hanging on his walls…in addition to his bear rug, stuffed quail and fox. It’s a virtual museum:)
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..More cupcakes please:) =-.

My caption: the house that will never sell.

When I was a Realtor, I’d make sure my clients new one thing and one thing only – remove the dead animals. It offends to many.
    .-= Irene´s last blog ..I’m Green (With Envy) =-.

39. Derek says

Perhaps the house is on the market because the neighbors are forcing them to move because they discovered all their missing pets in that house.

Do you have the MLS listing for this one? I would love to see if it is near me (I am in Wisconsin) just for shits and giggles I would love to walk through there!
    .-= Stefanie´s last blog ..Happy Friday =-.

I’m not into hunting animals, especially for sport, but who puts a bunch of dead animals in a room? Kind of makes me wonder what kind of person will do this and display it like it was a good thing? Good think my Sandy (dog) does not live close to them. *shudder*
    .-= Nancy´s last blog ..Dirt under my fingernails. =-.

42. E. George says

Hi Julia – caption – OPEN SEASON I don’t think this house will sell. You can’t afford to have bad taste at a time like this where the housing markets are in trouble. The outside looks inviting but inside thats another story. Have a great weekend. Regards Esther from Sydney.

that is so awful looking – I’d run away screaming! The poor agent taking pictures for the listing, what can you do? I’ve been in houses – for business – that had several deer, turkey, and such mounted, and thought that was icky looking, but this is the shop of horrors – and I’m not even really against hunting per se!!
    .-= Charlene´s last blog ..One More Christmas =-.

Well I hope the homeowner or spouse really manly man with a soft side otherwise it would be really bad. Definitely needs to be staged! all the animals must go!

Karena

I usually relish thinking up an amusing caption but as a dietary vegetarian and lifestyle vegan for 22 years this house disgusts me. This is nothing more than an orgy of death. The feng-shui must be a disaster. As a buyer, even if I could get beyond sight of these slaughters, I wouldn’t want to reward the homeowner by buying his property.
    .-= Why S?´s last blog ..Colonialism in the Modern Age (or The Age of the Moderns) =-.

46. Nancy says

Caption: Morbid Menagerie.

Loved the house itself. Unbelievable to think that the owner would leave the house looking this way while on the market. I agree with a previous poster that a bachelor must live there. I don’t think a woman could live that way.

I’d have nightmares in a house decorated as such, the living room alone… wow… who could watch the telly with all those dead eyes about the room?
    .-= Bethany´s last blog ..Sno-spoiled =-.

48. Roxy says

I hate that people hunt animals for trophies. And this house is full of it!
    I would caption this: “Where the Wild Things Die for Vanity”

49. Carol says

Simply horrendous…It’s Hannibal Lecters house for animals. The guy who owns this home has to be about 5′ tall with a very small …..
    What do you want to bet there is a Hummer in the garage too.

wow..that’s all I can say. I can’t even imagine walking into an open house on this one. I’d be freaked out! HG TV should totally do a show about this on how to stage a home!
    .-= Jen @ After The Alter´s last blog ..99 Things =-.

51. Mike says

Don’t be so fast to judge. It might not be a man’s decor. I live here in Wisconsin and know many women (single and married) who are avid hunters. Many of them decorate at least one room in their homes in this style. Well, not with zebras though. That’s just wrong. Doesn’t belong in a Wisconsin home.

By the way, where can I find the MLS listing?

52. Barry White says

I don’t know what everyone is crying about with these animals-Look at the fireplace -there is still blank space on the walls around it- perhaps he could have set out a few mouse and rat traps to fill in the gaps

Oh, I laughed out loud when I saw these FABULOUSLY horrific real estate pics! That living room with the wild kingdom motif really rings true in my neck of the woods, The Catskills. But weaving in the zebras with the presumably indigenous deer/bear/moose is pure genius. I have to link to this page from my site. As a weary broker after a long day of showings, this is the perfect tonic!

54. Kelley says

OMG!!! This is hilarious. “What Not to Wear” for MLS listings.

Mercy, this makes a vegetarian gag. I saw a room similar to this in a listing for a beachfront home in (get this) Grand Cayman a year or two back.

Salad for supper tonite!
    .-= Drawn to the Sea´s last blog ..Full Neon Moon =-.

Caption for the Animal house: “everyone is just dying to live here” (ICK! I say)

57. sexshop says

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I may just I desire to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Maybe you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I wish to read more issues about it!