A “Something’s Gotta Give” House in Sun Valley, Idaho

by hookedonhouses on February 17, 2010

SGG House-Sun Valley exteriorTake a look at this vacation rental home that bills itself as “Something’s Gotta Give in Sun Valley, Idaho.” It was built in 2007 and does seem to be influenced by the famous movie interiors from Something’s Gotta Give. It’s a Cape Cod with 10,000 square feet on 2.5 acres and looks like a great place to spend a holiday to me.

Here are some photos from the VRBO listing. See if you can spot the similarities between this house and the movie one, starting with the kitchen:

SGG House-Sun Valley kitchen

The kitchen in the movie:

kitchen-AD

The rental home’s dining room:

SGG House-dining room

The movie version:

dining-room2-AD

The two-story family room in the rental home:

SGG House-family room

The movie version:

Something's Gotta Give two-story family rm

The family room in Idaho:

SGG House-Sun Valley family room

You can see similar square windows above the doors in the movie:

Something's Gotta Give family room windows

I love the bedroom in the Sun Valley house, even though it bears little resemblance to Diane Keaton’s in the movie:

SGG House-Sun Valley bedroomErica’s bedroom in the movie includes her study at one end:

Something's Gotta Give-Erica's bedroom

The Sun Valley bedroom is actually a little more similar in size to the one Harry stays in. He has the fireplace across from his bed, too:

Something's Gotta Give-Harry's bedroom

I think it’s interesting to see how the homeowners were inspired by the movie house but still made it their own. How would you make it look more like the SGG house? I’m thinking a blue and white-striped rug is definitely called for…

Thanks to Chandra for telling me about this house! To see more photos and get more information about it, go to the VRBO listing. Some movie photos were via Architectural Digest. Others were screen shots.

Love this movie? Check out The Beach House in “Something’s Gotta Give” and A “Something’s Gotta Give” Dining Room Makeover.

Joni Webb February 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm

not bad! marks off for no blue and white striped rug. but it’s a good copy for once.
thanks!!!!
Joni

JeanetteS February 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I agree, a great copy! The windows are one of the features I liked from the movie and the rental has done a nice job incorporating that into their home.

Just the other night I watched this movie with my mom. It had been a while. And it made me fall in love with the interiors yet again.
.-= JeanetteS´s last blog ..A Passion for Interiors & Design… =-.

Derek February 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Imitating movie sets. Reminds me of a certain kitchen I know. Wink wink.
.-= Derek´s last blog ..Valentine’s Day LOVE coupons. =-.

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick February 17, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Oh I just need to see this movie just for the house. I’ve heard so much about it. May have to rent this one this weekend. :)
.-= Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick´s last blog ..ORB love =-.

Morning T February 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Fun comparison post Julia~ what a gorgeous vacation rental home, regardless of how they’re marketing it!
.-= Morning T´s last blog ..Three days of sanding… =-.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger February 17, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this house. But the movie master bedroom and dining room are better than the original in my mind. : )
.-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Tool Talk Tuesday featuring Centsational Girl =-.

Vanessa February 17, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Yes, agree that the striped rug would make it look more like the SGG house. Adding an oversized tufted ottoman, changing the black/dark chairs and bar stools in the kitchen, adding more vibrant art work and lots of books would help too. But it’s a pretty good replica.
.-= Vanessa´s last blog ..Photographer…Janis Nicolay =-.

Vicki February 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Wow! I LOVE this house!!
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..>100 Subcribers! Woo Hoo! =-.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries February 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I’m just sitting here wondering how they could build it and not want to live their year round! What a gorgeous house. I’m a but green with envy here over this one!
.-= Kristen @ More Than Mulberries´s last blog ..Love Love Love =-.

Pamela Rosenberg February 17, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Loved that movie and really loved that house. You know, I may have to go put my feet up, pop some popcorn and watch it and fall in love all over again.
Thanks,
Pam
.-= Pamela Rosenberg´s last blog ..Fasade Decorative Wall Panels or Bedazzling Mom’s Kitchen =-.

Tracy February 18, 2010 at 12:16 am

Love all the transoms. Such a great look. And I like the bed they chose for the master. Fills up some of that volume. (can you imagine their heating bills?!) Too many pendants in the kitchen though. I have a feeling there might even be one or two more we can’t see here.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..If Your Bicycle was Paisley, Would You Ride it More? =-.

Sheila February 18, 2010 at 1:19 am

Good grief. 10,000 sq. feet! The SGG house is, indeed, my dream house and we plan on building a modest version of it in the next few years. I’ve already begun collecting as much information as I can about it and, in doing so, ran across a Web site that compares the kitchen to copycats (and subsequently points out where the copycats diverted: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2008/07/beach-houses-series-4-hamptons-house.html).
I’d change the countertops from white to dark, the hardware from chrome/stainless to rubbed bronze and replace the dining chairs (and swap the living room rug)—a start!
.-= Sheila´s last blog ..Farther vs. further =-.

Maya @ Completely Coastal February 18, 2010 at 1:51 am

That legendary blue and white-striped rug should definitely be there!
.-= Maya @ Completely Coastal´s last blog ..Coastal Designer Vignettes =-.

E. George February 18, 2010 at 6:41 am

Hi Julia – WOW two beautiful houses which one can I have? Just dreaming I agree the blue and white striped rug should be there and a little more artwork. You know when I first watched SGG and The Holiday I went crazy buying black and white pictures for my walls – my sister-in-law tells me I should charge Art Gallery entrance fees. Its the only thing I could afford to copy from these movie houses. Thanks for this great blog. Lets see if I can copy anything. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish February 18, 2010 at 7:47 am

Agreed that the rug is a key missing element, but I loved her study! That would be one of the main elements I would want to recreate!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Between Dream Closets and Dead Air =-.

Lisa February 18, 2010 at 8:06 am

One more vote for the striped rug. But they did do a fantastic job, and it is a rental–I’m sure things like dining room chairs had to be extra sturdy. Fun!

duchess February 18, 2010 at 8:11 am

Simply beautiful.
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Really?? =-.

serenknitity February 18, 2010 at 8:29 am

I wandered over here from Cote de Texas (I’m meant to be doing my tax return…shhh) and want to say thank you for a lovely time reading about my fave movie house, which of course led me to checking out some other posts. Going back reluctantly to paperwork now, knowing I’ve got a lot of happy reading and dreaming waiting for me here.
.-= serenknitity´s last blog ..Where was I? =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now February 18, 2010 at 8:31 am

I’m just happy for the extra looks at the movie house. ;) I think the movie bedroom and dining room are better, but the rental sure comes close. I think that if I could choose any movie home to live in, this one would be in the top 3 for sure. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Progress =-.

black eyed susans kitchen February 18, 2010 at 9:37 am

Sigh…I love them both, Julia. Just to have enough space for the conversation area in the family room…two sofas and chairs by the fireplace? Heaven! I do like the round table in the dining room more than the square one, but either house is wonderful.
Susan
.-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..SPRING CLEANING? =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints February 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

Loved that movie and that rental looks fabulous!!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Trippin’ =-.

Nezzy February 18, 2010 at 10:56 am

This Ozarks farm chick just wants to thank you for gettin’ me off the Ponderosa awhile and go on the beautiful tour of these two homes. They are both beautiful. Loved the movie!

Ya’ll have a wonderful blessed day from the Missouri hills and hollers!!!
.-= Nezzy´s last blog ..UP ON THE ROOF =-.

Chic Coles February 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

They have great taste…obviously the Somethings Gotta Give house is one that I would like to take inspiration from! Both houses are gorgeous.
.-= Chic Coles´s last blog ..Fire Pits =-.

middle sister February 18, 2010 at 11:53 am

Absolutely love the photos. I am in great need of a vacation and I would start it with a deep sleep in that luxurious bedroom. Thank you for taking me away for a moments before racing out to make someone elses home beautiful.

Polly February 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

OH.MY.GOSH!!! That house!!!! Wow!

I have ALWAYS maintained that the house in SGG is one of my all time favorites, you just reiterated that for me!!!

Great, fun post Julia!!!
.-= Polly´s last blog ..A frown … ? =-.

Celeste @ Cottage Dreamers February 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Very cool! I love the movie house but nothing can beat real natural sunlight! Both are beautiful though. Thanks for sharing!
.-= Celeste @ Cottage Dreamers´s last blog ..Pine wood floors in the bathroom =-.

Mercedes February 18, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Great post Julie, the place is amazing, and really far away from big cities and noises.
For movie mondays I have two suggestions, one is the house of Osbourne family in the reality show, and the first minutes of the movie Disclosure with Michael Douglas,it is a incredibly property in Seattle
Thanks for share!!!

Jen @ After The Alter February 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm

oh my goodness! I was looking at vrbo.com last week to maybe plan a last minute trip and I love getting swept away in these dream homes that never in my wildest dreams could I afford. I wish I knew someone really rich that owned something like this so I could go vacation with them…lol
.-= Jen @ After The Alter´s last blog ..Happiness Wins!: A Valentine’s Day Story =-.

Annelise February 18, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I am digging the movie house better. Love the house and the all of the colors.
.-= Annelise´s last blog ..Is Writing in the Blood? =-.

Celebrity Digs HQ February 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm

We’re with you Annelise. This house is nice, but still doesn’t quite capture the warmth of the house in the movie. The strange thing is, we know that the movie house interiors were all constructed on a set! The house doesn’t even exist! Gotta be the lighting . . . . Nice post though.
.-= Celebrity Digs HQ´s last blog ..Ashlee Simpson’s Beverly Hills Compound For Sale at $4M =-.

Kim February 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm

This house is so nice! Why wouldn’t the owners want to live in it or use it as a vacation home? I would love a house like that, but I will probably never become rich, but that’s ok. I can daydream about my dream home and I have the movie houses to daydream about too.

tina poulsen February 18, 2010 at 7:26 pm

wow! makes me want to go to idaho! great idea. wish it had been mine. oh i’m so in love with the somethings got to give house. oh man. just seeing it again, uh! love it! she’s a genius!
great post.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage February 18, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Wow – I’m impressed! It’s so nice to see a home in a ski town that isn’t chock full of timber and indian rugs :).
.-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..Baby Girl’s Nursery =-.

Stephanie February 19, 2010 at 6:52 am

I love the bedrooms in this house, and the wide open family room, very lovely!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Ever been to Paris? =-.

Blue & White stripe rug I bought February 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I bought my blue & white stripe rug from a place that I read about in the Washington Post. I put the website link as the Name link above. I love mine and bought the dark blue version. Great post on the movie set and how to achieve the SGG look!

Melanie February 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

SWOONING! I loved Cape Cod houses. Our last house that we built and sadly had to move from due to a job transfer, was a Cape Cod. I miss that house.
.-= Melanie´s last blog ..Beef Bourguignon =-.

Melissa February 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

My goodness, I think I’m in love with that house! I’m ready to book a ticket to Idaho! ;)
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..The Story of an Upcycled Apron. =-.

andover July 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

Loved this movie and this house is awesome. My wife and I call the interior a “sophisticated design” which we hope to aspire to when the tho boys stop tearing the place apart.