Caption This: A Bathroom with Delusions of Grandeur

by hookedonhouses on November 17, 2009

bathroom with giant chandelier

Betty’s bathroom was mocked by the rest of the house for its delusions of grandeur.

When I ran across this photo in the real estate listings today, I did a double-take. Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a chandelier quite that big over a bathroom sink, let alone in a bathroom this small. I can appreciate that the homeowner was trying to dress up her bathroom, but she may have gone just a bit overboard with the lighting.

{How would you caption this photo?}

Go to Bad MLS Photos to see more unexpected things I found in the real estate listings.

Amazed November 17, 2009 at 9:21 am

An appropriate caption might be ” Look up. Look up at the sparkling light. Don’t look down at the 1970′s toilet!”

Janet November 17, 2009 at 9:24 am

How to hide the t.p. and bathtub with one etagere.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Easy Seasonal Wreaths =-.

j November 17, 2009 at 9:41 am

Don’t like to look in the mirror in the morning? Voila – put a chandelier between you and the glass, just like all of the classy ladies do!

Patti November 17, 2009 at 9:44 am

What a girl wants … a poor girl’s take on Christina Aguilera’s design “style.”

Cathryn November 17, 2009 at 9:48 am

Caption:
“Betty often thought that having to take the leftover furniture into her maid suite was, by far, the worst part about being Liberace’s housekeeper.”
or
“Bill and Janice never could agree on what constituted ‘gold’.”

Holly November 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

Taking the term “throne room” a little too seriously.
.-= Holly´s last blog ..Dollar Store Dishtowel Becomes Pillow =-.

Lou Cinda November 17, 2009 at 10:22 am

Free bathroom with purchase of chandelier!

Lou Cinda :)
.-= Lou Cinda´s last blog ..AWARDS!! =-.

Jackie W. November 17, 2009 at 10:24 am

Welcome to my chandelier.

Derek November 17, 2009 at 10:35 am

I have two both have to do with Zsa Zsa Gabor

1. It’s the Green acres bathroom. Park Ave. meets Farmhouse. With blinding results.

2. Zsa Zsa, after paying all her back taxes, downsized to a modest ranch style house. She however could not part with her chandelier from her bathroom in her former palatial home.

greenie November 17, 2009 at 10:36 am

Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous: “Champagne Washes and Caviar Bath Beads!”

Janell Beals November 17, 2009 at 10:54 am

“Helmet required.” I literally laughed out loud when I saw this photo, thanks for helping me start off the day with a bit of fun! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Living Room Redesign – 99.9% Finished! =-.

Amy November 17, 2009 at 11:01 am

Oh.my. I’d be afraid that it would fall on me. I don’t have a clever caption but if I did it would have the word “hooker’ in it.

Christi at A Southern Life November 17, 2009 at 11:14 am

The great Oz is saying “Ignore that bathroom behind the chandelier!”
.-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Cranberries =-.

Cathryn November 17, 2009 at 11:22 am

One more caption:
“Although no one had the courage to say anything directly to her, many of Susan’s friends thought her take-a-souvenir-from-the-hotel habit had gotten out of control.”

(Just for you , Julia!)

duchess November 17, 2009 at 11:37 am

First thing that came to my mind was….
What happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas.
Thanks, Julia.
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Never Tell Them They Can’t Fly =-.

Amber November 17, 2009 at 11:40 am

“Whoever said, ‘Tis better to be overdressed than under dressed never met this bathroom.”
.-= Amber´s last blog ..fall decor =-.

Trish@TheOldPostRoad November 17, 2009 at 11:44 am

Directions for the plumber:
The shower? Turn right when you see a bright light beaming into the hall, duck beneath the chandelier, then turn sideways and squeeze between the toilet and glass shelves with fake flowers, and THERE you will find the shower that needs repair.
.-= Trish@TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..New Ho-Ho-Ho Art =-.

Jill at The Welcome Home November 17, 2009 at 11:45 am

“We couldn’t get a babysitter and this is the onlyb room where we can have some privacy…. “

Celebrity Digs HQ November 17, 2009 at 11:47 am

We’re speechless! So we’ll just vote for our favorites comments. LOL(!) at j, Lou Cinda, and Amber’s captions!
.-= Celebrity Digs HQ´s last blog ..For Sale: TV Executive Producer Jason Winer’s Hollywood Loft =-.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage November 17, 2009 at 11:49 am

Oh my…how did she get in and out of the tub with that giant etagere in the way? I have nothing clever to say…just oh my ;).
.-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..Cheap & Easy Christmas Wreath (Sorry Pottery Barn) =-.

Tricia November 17, 2009 at 11:56 am

Her husband must have been rushing her in the lighting department! I know how she feels! :D

Jeannine @ Small & Chic November 17, 2009 at 12:25 pm

“…and to top it off, the toilet lid koozie gives it a certain je ne sais quoi, don’t you think?” -Bored housewife who fancies herself a designer
.-= Jeannine @ Small & Chic´s last blog ..Art for kids =-.

Giggles November 17, 2009 at 12:32 pm

“It’s all that a little bit more, quick get me my sunglasses!” ”
” Never mind get me my sleep mask instead!”

Bonnie Mattson November 17, 2009 at 12:49 pm

This recently discovered UFO lodged in the ceiling of their bathroom baffles home owners, Betty and Bruce in Roswell, New Mexico! News has spread like wild fire among the locals….They’re Back!”
.-= Bonnie Mattson´s last blog ..A Simple Woman’s Daybook~November 16, 2009 =-.

Cathy Rust November 17, 2009 at 1:39 pm

“I said the chandelier should go in the BALLROOM!”

Mom in High Heels November 17, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Wow! I like a pretty bathroom, but that’s a bit much.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Random Thoughts Tuesday! =-.

Jamie November 17, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Real Estate Caption:

Luxurious spa retreat bath! Imagine bubble baths from the Four Season Grand Hotel in your very own home! Glamorous chandelier compliments the decorative framed golden flake mirror. Wake up each day to a little touch of prestige.

Beth@The Stories of A2Z November 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Betty excitedly cast her vision to her designer and said, “I want to feel like the belle of the ball in my bathroom.” The designer took some notes and at a meeting with the crew read from them, “Betty wants her bathroom to look like a ballroom. Let’s just not ask questions and do this thing. Think Ballroom people…ballroom… gold gilded mirrors, drippy large chandeliers, white frooy things, and oversized bouquets….”
.-= Beth@The Stories of A2Z´s last blog ..Laundry Room Sign =-.

Kelly R. November 17, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Her poor husband.

Kathy :) November 17, 2009 at 2:26 pm

LOL what was she thinking…..I don’t use that side of my brain….I never come up with a zippy caption !!!!

Julia too funny,
Kathy :)

Nancy November 17, 2009 at 2:57 pm

That’s what happens when you buy things without thinking of how it may look. I feel bad for the homeowner but it just looks tacky. Adding a chandelier doesn’t mean the bathroom will look great. I would remove the toilet plush cover. Never liked those. She can make it look nice but needs to scale down.
.-= Nancy´s last blog ..O…Mon beau sapin, Roi des forĂȘts! =-.

Shelia November 17, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Lulu was always trying to keep up with the Jones, this time she passed them!
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..Autmun on the Island and a Makeover =-.

Nouveau Stitch November 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Practical person that I am, I’m wondering, is it normal to have to reach that far for toilet paper? It’s clear across the room for heaven’s sake!

Jennifer November 17, 2009 at 4:01 pm

That’s seriously hideous. I don’t think I can find one redeeming factor in that room. I didn’t think you could buy those fluffy toilet seat covers anymore?
.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Paint and Polish =-.

Struggler November 17, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I don’t think I can top Duchess’s Vegas comment.
Seriously, this looks like electrocution waiting to happen.

Kim November 17, 2009 at 4:47 pm

The first word that comes to mind for me, is overwhelming. Jcpenney sells those fluffy seat covers, which I will never buy.

rue November 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm

All I can say is…. wow. Really?! LOL

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..Birthday trip~ part two =-.

greenie November 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Just thought of another one:
“In the 1950s, Mary Trump of Queens had no idea the effect her bathroom re-do would have on her young son Donald.”

I don’t usually obsess on things like this, but it’s SO hideous! :-)

Darla November 17, 2009 at 6:50 pm

That’s actually kinda funny. It’s so ugly it’s almost not ugly anymore.
.-= Darla´s last blog ..DarlaF: WOW I think I love @whymommy http://toddlerplanet.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/in-defense-of-mammograms/ =-.

Cecelia November 17, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I’ve got to admit there’s a special place in my heart for people who go over the top in feathering their nest.

I want to say, “Love the fantasy that conjured this flight of fancy! Keep weaving those dreams, girl!”

country French Judi November 17, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Don’t ask her for any decorating advice. It’s what the Clampett’s of Beverly Hills would do. Shame on the realtor for not getting this room properly staged. Forgive me but it looks like something the richest of the poor in the Applacian region would do also OMG LOL

Nancy Hood November 17, 2009 at 9:20 pm

haha I had to giggle out loud when that chandy jumped out of the pic! Can we say ‘big’?!
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Good ‘old Garfield =-.

Sara November 17, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I can only wonder what the rest of the house looks like!!!

Julie M. November 17, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Hmmm…Betty Oop’s Bathroom? Just before the party…the chandelier took one last quick look in the mirror before heading back down to the entry to greet the guests.

: )

Julie M.

ps I grew up with a classic “Shabby Chic” style chandelier above the biffy in my bathroom. It had been the dining room chandelier in my parents first 3 houses. We thought that was pretty funny. Built in the 1970′s, the bathroom had matte gold floral metallic wallpaper…the crystal chandelier was just the right color and scale for the wc.
.-= Julie M.´s last blog ..Think Pink! =-.

Dawn November 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I like the idea of the chandelier in the bathroom since I like the “Shabby Chic” style.

However, scale is important. Something smaller would have more tasteful.

Why S? November 17, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Once they caught wind of the Craigslist posting, Chandelier and Etagere thought they could save themselves by hiding in the bathroom.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..CoolWall =-.

Paula Grace November 17, 2009 at 11:02 pm

There are a lot of creative captions here….. hmmmm??! Let me think…. I can’t…. I’m blinded by the light :-) Maybe she thought she may pass to the other side in her bathroom and she wanted to give God a hand with the “follow the light.” :-) Oh boy, that was bad….. I’d better stop.
.-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..Ode To Pink =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 17, 2009 at 11:20 pm

That chandelier would distract me from seeing the dark circles under my eyes in the morning.
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..27 Days of Thankful #17 =-.

Nathan November 18, 2009 at 12:29 am

What, this isn’t the dining room?

E. George November 18, 2009 at 3:10 am

Hi Julia – Blinded By The Light. I don’t know if you have watched the movie – Just like Heaven – now that bathroom and everything else in the apartment I would not – could not say no to. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Katie November 18, 2009 at 9:08 am

For some reason Ralph and Alice Kramden of the Honeymooners come to mind –

Ralph: You want an electric icebox, do ya Alice?? Why don’t we get a chandelier for the water closet too while we’re at it!??

Eileen November 18, 2009 at 9:59 am

It’s like the owner had a pot luck party for her bathroom.
.-= Eileen´s last blog ..An UN-Traditional Thanksgiving This Year And Trying To Keep Things Simple =-.

kathysue November 18, 2009 at 10:57 am

“Exuse me, may I use your restroom?” Of course,”Go into the LIGHT.”

Suzy November 18, 2009 at 6:42 pm

This is from the Italian Grandmother, around age 70.
Still thinking she is pretty hip……
.-= Suzy´s last blog ..CranApple Crisp =-.

Cashon & Co. November 20, 2009 at 9:33 am

wow! I’m speechless…too stunned to leave a witty caption, but am loving all the ones left above ! hilarious!

InterGlassique April 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm