Halloween Ideas That Are Good, Scary Fun

by hookedonhouses on October 27, 2009

Halloween foyer Good Housekpng

I don’t really decorate for Halloween, to tell you the truth. Just a few jack-o-lanterns on the front porch and a giant fuzzy spider my daughter talked me into buying. (She turned it into her “pet” that sleeps on the floor beside her bed every night under a pink baby blanket, so I don’t think he’s really scaring anyone).

I appreciate the creativity that some people display at Halloween, though. Here are a few things I’ve been inspired by.  (Photo at top from Good Housekeeping).

Jamilyn-bats flying across door-Halloween

Jamilyn at Living It At Home went a little batty this year. (Love the 3 little pumpkins on the window ledge, too.)

Dracula cupcakes-Party Cupcake Ideas

Party Cupcake Ideas has lots of yummy treats, like these Dracula Cupcakes.

Stefanie's house on Paula Grace

Paula Grace is having a Halloween Contest featuring readers’ homes (this one belongs to Stefanie). Vote for your favorite!

Halloween invitations-Brooklyn Limestone

Mrs. Limestone created some amazing invitations for a Halloween party that included this Creature Survival Kit.

Beth's owl pumpkin-stories a to z

Beth at Stories from A to Z made this too-cute Owl Pumpkin with candy corn.

Halloween foyer-Life in the Fun Lane

Holly’s entry is magical over at Life in the Fun Lane.

Mummy Meatloaf-Living Locurto

Amy at Living Locurto rounded up a spooky menu that includes this yummy “Mummy Meatloaf.”

I’m adding this to Melissa’s Beautiful Life & Violet Posy’s Halloween Party.

Pat@Back Porch Musings October 27, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Doing some catching up this afternoon, Julia, and enjoying every minute!
.-= Pat@Back Porch Musings´s last blog ..~Another Chapter~ =-.

Amy @ Living Locurto October 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for the link! I saw that cool invitation by Mrs. Limestone a while back. It’s so fun! When my kids are bigger we’ll go all out for fun invites like that:-)
.-= Amy @ Living Locurto´s last blog ..Halloween Boofett =-.

isa October 27, 2009 at 4:02 pm

That mummy meatloaf is hysterical. I just went and got pumpkins yesterday. I’m such a procrastinator this year!!! OH well :) I’m learning to live with these things! Love the inspirations and cracked up over the spider that is under the pink blanket now.
Have a wonderful week, Julia!
xo Isa
.-= isa´s last blog ..Search for the Great Pumpkin =-.

Kathy :) October 27, 2009 at 4:14 pm

How CUTE is your Lily ???? Julia that is adorable…..that Mrs. Limestone is fabulous, I love those invitations….love her blog period….

I decorate for Harvest… that way I can keep everything up until Thanksgiving…..I add a few scary things the week, which this is lol, before Halloween… I have a CD of scary music I play ………we may get a bit of rain this year, I hope not, ……. our dog Sydney is going as a Bumble Bee this year….

Why can’t ghosts have babies………………….they have hollow-weenies LOL

Have a great week….
Kathy :)

Liz October 27, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Great inspiration. It’s my favorite holiday, but this year I just managed to put up a skeleton and stick some lights in a jar. I’ll make up for it at Christmas. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. :)
.-= Liz´s last blog ..Plotting Thanksgiving, Already =-.

laura @ the shore house October 27, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Oh I love the ideas here! The meatloaf…HA!

I baaarrrreeely dragged out my decorations this year. I’m swamped! (Maybe I should be swamp thing for Halloween….covered in paperwork and post-it notes. ;-) BUT on Sunday I tossed together the outdoor decorations I found in the trash, three packages of cheescloth (shredded cheesecloth = good, cheap Halloween fun!) and two strobe lightbulbs — and created enough of a scene to convince my neighbors I’ve lost my mind. Huzzah! Job well done. :-)
.-= laura @ the shore house´s last blog ..Southern living, New Jersey-style. =-.

janice October 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm

You know some very talented, creative folk! I wish I’d taken photos from when I used to decorate for Halloween. It was my favourite part of what’s become a very plastic, commercialised event over here. The kids are older and no longer into it, so last year we ‘ran away from home’ and had a city break. We enjoyed it so much, we’re doing the same this weekend and having a few days by the sea, with one day in Edinburgh, whose backstreets and cobbled alleyways are seriously scary even when it’s not Halloween!
.-= janice´s last blog ..Clutter: What are You Really Holding Onto…and Why? =-.

Christine October 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Halloween is my favorite holiday, but I just couldn’t seem to get into the mood this year! I usually love to decorate for it, but I’m actually looking forward to Thanksgiving so I can start with the Christmas decorations! Those bats with the little pumpkins are just enough to make that house look great!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..10 Year Old Grown Ups =-.

cristin @ simplified bee October 27, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Love those bats and the giant spider!!!

xo,
cristin
.-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Interior Design Color Trends for 2010 – Purple =-.

mrslimestone October 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Thanks so much for including me in this list. I voted but I think you know my answer already :)
.-= mrslimestone´s last blog ..Halloween Flashback: 2008 =-.

Janell Beals October 27, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Yes, I’m not that into Halloween decor myself, but love seeing what others come up with! Mrs. Limestone has the best house to decorate for Halloween, perhaps if mine looked more like hers I’d put in a bit more effort…maybe.
Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Master Bedroom Retreat Update =-.

Stephanie October 27, 2009 at 7:02 pm

OMG…i love these ideas…thanks for another great post!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Words from a birth mother to adoptive mother .. =-.

Jaime October 27, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Oh yes…we go quite crazy for it at our house. (Lots of photos in the blog.) We love this time of year! Thanks for the pics!
.-= Jaime´s last blog ..Pumpkin Inspiration… =-.

Jessica at Lavender & Lilies October 27, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I love that first tablescape. That is something I would love to do although I have to admit I really don’t decorate either.
.-= Jessica at Lavender & Lilies´s last blog ..Can I Get Some of What They Are Smoking? =-.

Why S? October 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I especially love all those bats in the doorway. I might try that next year. I don’t think I’ll manage it over the next 5 days.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..They’re Mobile Homes, not Mansions =-.

greenie October 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm

LOVE HALLOWEEN!!! My favorite holiday and time of year!
I really like the look of [Jamilyn at Living It At Home]‘s bats across the front steps. So simple, but very effective! Also love Holly’s foyer installation. Very nice!
So much creativity and inspiration! :-)

Dagny @ Beautiful Living October 28, 2009 at 6:00 am

How cute! Love your selection, very tasteful!
.-= Dagny @ Beautiful Living´s last blog ..Before and after: IKEA hack! Kids rooms chairs / Før og etter: IKEA barnestoler =-.

linda@LimeintheCoconut October 28, 2009 at 6:19 am

Oooooh spooktacular!

I’m usually a Halloween slug (meaning I do the requisite pumpkin…a creppy candelabra on the night and scary music) I am always amazed at the halloween talent. We are down to few to none trick-r-treaters though….

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 28, 2009 at 8:21 am

I’ve seen so many great ideas as well. Stefanie’s picture with that giant spider overhead is scary but fun!

Greet October 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

I am always so surprised when I see all these scary decorations for Halloween! I always think about little children!! Do they really like this?
Here in Belgium we know Halloween, but I have the impression that the decoration is not that scary.

Greet
.-= Greet´s last blog ..The Style Saloniste and Axel Vervoordt =-.

Aunt Amelia October 28, 2009 at 9:24 am

Thank you so much Julia! I did lots of linking to your blog, in my post of today.

Aunt Amelia
.-= Aunt Amelia´s last blog ..More! More! More! More! More! Funnnnnnnnnnnn! =-.

Melody @ Party Cupcake Ideas October 28, 2009 at 10:14 am

Love the Mummy Meatloaf idea. So cute!
.-= Melody @ Party Cupcake Ideas´s last blog ..40th Birthday Tombstone Cupcake =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 28, 2009 at 10:20 am

This is the first year I’ve ever put anything Halloweeny out. I found that cute black tinsel cat, but I made him less scary by putting a bow around his neck. ;)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Why I {Heart} Blogging =-.

Maya@Completely-Coastal October 28, 2009 at 10:23 am

I don’t really decorate for Halloween either. Just have one orange pumpkin by the entry!
Kind of love the haunted door, seems to be a favorite this year too.
.-= Maya@Completely-Coastal´s last blog ..A Cool Coastal Giveaway -An All Modern Glass Vase with Tealight =-.

Janet @ I Drink at Restaurants October 28, 2009 at 10:42 am

I always aim for easy decorating. Most Halloween stores sell clear plastic sheets with creepy characters on them. I close my shades, then hang them over my windows. I laugh as cars circle the block to see if they truly saw the Grim Reaper or some other creature in my window!
.-= Janet @ I Drink at Restaurants´s last blog ..Halloween Decorating Phase 1 =-.

Pat October 28, 2009 at 10:46 am

Hi Julia

Since I don’t have any little ones at home and my grandson lives far away in another state, so I don’t decorate as much as I used to. I’ve been “downsizing” my possessions quite a bit lately, something I’ve really had to do because I’ve lived in the same house for 33 years, and my closets and storage areas were overflowing! I keep pretending I’m going to move and that I have to prioritize my *stuff* and that has helped. :-)

I love that mummy pot pie! I’ll have to remember that one for a future Halloween dinner. Mrs Limestone always goes the extra effort for Halloween and makes her home look scary with that big spider! Love it!

X0 Pat

Liz@VioletPosy October 28, 2009 at 12:04 pm

What a great collection of Halloween ideas! Thank you so much for putting a link to my Halloween party, there are lots of great ideas there :) x
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..Pumpkin Carving =-.

Jenny October 28, 2009 at 5:05 pm

What a fun post! I’m off to check out the party!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..WFMW: Disappearing Nav Bar =-.

Condo Blues October 28, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I don’t decorate the inside of the house much for Halloween. We do decorate outside though. We put a Seadog Centenary in our flower beds. It’s funny scary not gory scary. My husband, dog, and I dress up as pirates to hand out Halloween candy. We let the trick or treaters “steal” our treasure (candy)
.-= Condo Blues´s last blog ..Blitzkrieg’s Balloon Boy Costume! =-.

Porch Days October 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I love to decorate for Fall but not Halloween. With our children “grown and gone” and no children in the neighborhood to come trick and treating, it doesn’t seem important.
.-= Porch Days´s last blog ..Rain, Sun & an Anniversary =-.

Jamie October 30, 2009 at 10:24 am

I shelved my inner Halloween Scrooge this year and posted on 13 scary-cool decorations if you’re into that sort of thing. There were even a few you could leave out all year round, if you wish!

Jamilyn January 16, 2010 at 10:42 am

Hi! I just saw this post…in January! I had no idea that you featured my “batty” front door decorations for Halloween. Everything looks great and I feel so honored that you chose my decorations as inspiration! Love this post and I love Halloween…till next year! You have a blog after my own heart-love houses!

jamilyn