In This House, Keep Your Eyes Open

by hookedonhouses on October 14, 2009

brick house exterior

So. I was clicking my way through the real estate listings today and came across this brick house on the market for $3.29 million. Looks nice, I thought, scrolling through the photos. There was this long living room with mirror-image fireplaces and chandeliers on each side:

brick house living rm

A big kitchen:

brick house-kitchen

And a front room off the entry big enough for a piano and a small seating area:

piano-Freddy

Back up. Is that a person lurking in the room? What’s he doing there?

Freddy Krueger in the room

It looks like Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street! Yikes.

Freddy_Krueger

Did I dream that? Nope. You can see him again in this shot of the entry hall (it would totally freak me out if I walked in here and he was waiting for me around the corner):

entry hall

I have no idea what Freddy’s doing in this house, let alone in the real estate listing. This place may be perfectly nice during the day, but I don’t think I’d want to sleep–or dream–there, would you?

Visit my Bad MLS Photos page to see more crazy stuff!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 14, 2009 at 8:25 am

It is a gorgeous house ~ too bad they left that there. It’s not even like there are other Halloween decorations around that you could say it’s for Halloween! I read somewhere that some people {very few, thankfully} were going to stage houses with mannequins ~ like a couple or family sitting at the dining or kitchen table. That’s just too weird on many levels.

MissCaron October 14, 2009 at 8:47 am

OMG. No way. Even if it WAS Halloween when the pictures were taken … you have to stage your home for the buyers … not for yourself!
.-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Think Pink (And Blue)! =-.

Suzann from The Olive Cottage October 14, 2009 at 8:51 am

Okay, that is CREEPY! I cannot imagine what would cause someone to have that in their house, but when it’s listed for sale!? LOL. It takes all kind.
.-= Suzann from The Olive Cottage´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

christy October 14, 2009 at 8:52 am

OMG that is so funny Julia! What a weird thing to have in your listing photos? Maybe they’re huge Halloween fans?!
.-= christy´s last blog ..NYC: I’m Just a Homebody at Heart =-.

Christi at A Southern Life October 14, 2009 at 8:59 am

That is just too weird.

Christi
.-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Red October =-.

FeFe October 14, 2009 at 8:59 am

Maybe it’s someone who is affiliated with the Freddy movies who is selling the house? Even so, I don’t think I’d want that around!

Derek October 14, 2009 at 9:02 am

Is this house on Elm Street?

Sarah October 14, 2009 at 9:17 am

I think you need to call the listing agent. That is RIDICULOUS!!!!!
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..textile tuesday! =-.

bungalowbliss October 14, 2009 at 9:18 am

Eek! That is hilarious–in a creepy, weird sort of way. I can’t imagine! Hahaha.
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..Rusty, Recycled–and Right on Target =-.

~Country Lady~ October 14, 2009 at 9:22 am

Now that’s creepy in an otherwise fabulous home. It’s so out of place. How did a real estate company miss this? Strange…………………….
.-= ~Country Lady~´s last blog ..Continuing the tour of my Mother In Law’s Home =-.

Janet Doherty October 14, 2009 at 9:25 am

Kids must have been playing a joke….but it is kind of funny.
.-= Janet Doherty´s last blog ..Wand’s… =-.

j October 14, 2009 at 9:31 am

Our neighbor two doors down has those stupid life-sized butler and maid mannequins. You can plainly see them in their dining room from the street. It’s just too weird. Not surprisingly, Halloween is their favorite holiday, and they have a huge party – with a Hearse included – every year. I could go on and on about these people. Far east side of Cincinnati, probably a $350,000 house, too. Money does not equal class.

Shannon October 14, 2009 at 9:50 am

That is beyond weird. It really makes you wonder what they were thinking putting that in there. I guess some people have a truly unique sense of humor. Good luck selling that house!
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..Waiting =-.

Cori October 14, 2009 at 10:03 am

A pumpkin , a pot of mums maybe… I think that would be a more subtle fall statement. I would be to afraid to take a peek in the basement.

Vicki October 14, 2009 at 10:13 am

It’s odd that they left Freddie there. How did that happen?! Anyway, the house is BEAUTIFUL. I love this style of house!!

Thanks for a fun post!
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..The placement of greeting cards =-.

Greet October 14, 2009 at 10:35 am

Beautiful house! Although I love the outside more than the inside and definitely after seen this weird stranger!
Greet
.-= Greet´s last blog ..Christophe Decarpentrie =-.

Shannon October 14, 2009 at 10:38 am

How freaky. The house is beautiful though. Maybe he is a ghostly resident.
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..Halloween Wreath Ideas =-.

Tracy October 14, 2009 at 10:43 am

I watched some stupid ghost show last night about “shadow people” (yes, I really did). Maybe he’s not visible in the room to the naked eye… just showed up on the photo… does that make it better? or worse?
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..She Has Plans for You =-.

greenie October 14, 2009 at 10:46 am

Crazy…It’s a “Freddy” decoration. What’s really odd is there are no other indications as to the time of year…like a pumpkin…or a fall wreath.

And “j”: Class is subjective. I’m with you on the butler and maid mannequins, but just because someone likes to really “do it up” for Halloween doesn’t necessarily dictate “low” class. I LOVE Halloween and I love people who go all out decorating for it. Don’t you remember what it was like when you were a kid and you came across one of those houses? So much fun! :-)

Jamie October 14, 2009 at 10:56 am

Yikes! I’ve always been scared of those ridiculous movies. I wouldn’t sleep at night if that were in my home!
Very strange decor. The rest of the house is lovely.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..90 years ago =-.

Jocelyn Stott October 14, 2009 at 11:13 am

That is totally creep-tastic. Ugh. Nice house though!
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Chores Schmores =-.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic October 14, 2009 at 11:20 am

That’s hilarious! Maybe it was a Halloween decoration, although the rest of the house doesn’t seem to be decorated for Halloween. Strange… The house is gorgeous, though, so maybe most people won’t notice…
.-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..Revamping Recipes: Belly Buster =-.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger October 14, 2009 at 11:47 am

Oh dear, now THAT is hilarious!
.-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Photography GIVEAWAY =-.

Stephanie@Geezees October 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm

funny! and a bit odd!
.-= Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..Canvas Art for Sister , Bridesmaid, Sibling, or Nursery 10×10 Photo Word Art =-.

Carmen October 14, 2009 at 12:13 pm

W.E.I.R.D.

that’s all I have to say about that one!

kathy koops October 14, 2009 at 12:21 pm

LOL. Maybe Freddy is filling in for guard dog? Sometimes sellers just don’t “think” before decorating for a holiday. Thanks for the smiles.

Amy October 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm

What?!? Is that *really* Freddy? I can’t imagine why somebody would do that. The house looks so normal otherwise. I watched one of those movies in high school and couldn’t sleep for a week…yikes!
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Three Years… =-.

Eileen Calandro October 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm

YIKES! How could they just leave that there? That’s just wacky. It would have scared the c— out of me -but at least then I would have been able to really look at the bathroom!
.-= Eileen Calandro´s last blog ..What a RIDE! =-.

Jenny October 14, 2009 at 2:14 pm

That is so scary!

beth October 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Scary!! I noticed him right away, and thought the same thing. Is that Freddie Krueger? What anyone would want a life size statue of Freddie for, I have no idea. That is really weird.
.-= beth´s last blog ..It’s starting to look (and feel) like fall around here =-.

Kelly October 14, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I think he is cool! Although, woe be it the person who falls asleep on the sofa, wakes up and forgets it is there.
.-= Kelly´s last blog ..1892 Gothic Revival, Lutherville-Timonium, MD =-.

Struggler October 14, 2009 at 6:19 pm

This reminds me a bit of when Google launched StreetView and all kinds of unfortunate things were spotted! I guess we should just be grateful he has his clothes on.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..JCrew, You’re Kidding, Right? =-.

angela|thepaintedhouse October 14, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Hey, Chica!

This is hysterical! On so many levels. Thanks for the laugh!

I had my photo taken with another such Freddie in a vintage clothing store in Houston…holding my newborn!

Hope you are well! :)
.-= angela|thepaintedhouse´s last blog ..This Is Good-Bye, Friends =-.

Susan October 14, 2009 at 8:41 pm

That’s a riot! I don’t think most “staging” experts would recommend Freddie waiting to greet potential buyers. LOL I’d love to have seen your face, Julia, as you were perusing along and came across that! :-)
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Welcome to the 60th Tablescape Thursday and Foodie Friday! =-.

Danielle October 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm

WOW – that is really freaky. Now I am going to have nightmares!
.-= Danielle´s last blog ..The playroom is growing up =-.

Ann October 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm

No. Way. That would totally scare me to death even on a beautiful, sunshiny day. Can you imagine coming down the stairs at night? What is wrong with the realtor????

Lauren Liess October 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm

hahahaha no way! that’s just hysterical. i can’t believe that’s really in a listing.
.-= Lauren Liess´s last blog ..Just One Kitchen… A Learning Experience =-.

Why S? October 15, 2009 at 12:14 am

Maybe, deep down, they don’t really want to sell that house.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Our Living Room – Part 2 =-.

Christine October 15, 2009 at 1:15 am

oh my gosh!!! Freddy Krueger is scarry! I saw him as soon as i looked at the pic. ahhhhhhh. you know they are coming out with a new freddy krueger movie. i don’t think i can watch it. 1-2 Freddy’s coming after you (song) ahhh.

Nathan October 15, 2009 at 2:55 am

It’s probably a life size Freddy mannequin. I remember being in Universal Studios years ago and one store having those little Chucky dolls for sale (from the Child’s Play movies). But yes, it definitely should have been moved. Can you imagine the scare people are going to get who actually tour the house in person? Ahahaha.

Annie@A View on Design October 15, 2009 at 4:09 am

how funny is that… lol
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Glorious East Malvern Treasure =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 15, 2009 at 7:33 am

Oh my word. Freddy would totally send me over the edge. I do not think he belongs out and about when you’re trying to sell your house! Too bad, b/c the rest of the house is really pretty (though I’m not feeling the light wood in the kitchen).
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Are You Feelin’ Hot Hot Hot? {A Birthday Bonfire} =-.

Jen@ After The Alter October 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm

OMG! who puts that in their house let alone their listing??? and a listing for over 3 million! hahahah I am laughing right now!!!!
.-= Jen@ After The Alter´s last blog ..Am I A Grown Up Now? =-.

All About Decoration October 16, 2009 at 7:11 am

Hello Dear, Very Well Written Post, I Was Searching About this stuff for So long and finally i get it in your blog, Thanks For Sharing it with us,

I am also Running one blog about decoration, kindly check this and let me know, how can improve this.

Thanks

BTW My Blog Is All About Decoration
.-= All About Decoration´s last blog ..Pot Painting =-.

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick October 16, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Julia.
What. the. ?????? If I walked in and saw it, I would turn around and RUN. What the??? I just don’t get it!!

mausfrau October 22, 2009 at 8:31 pm

If you like the house, but don’t want to pay that much… we went to an open house a couple of years ago at one that was VERY similar in suburban Tulsa for a mere $400K. The kitchen was almost exactly the same as this, and the exterior could practically be the same house. It also had a huge pool with its own changing room and a media room upstairs with theater seats. No Freddie, though. At least, not on the day we were there… maybe the Extreme Christian decor (a popular decorating scheme in the Tulsa area–lots of wrought-iron crosses and stenciled Bible verses on the walls) kept him away.

karen rowe February 22, 2010 at 5:21 am

Could someone please tell this aussie what MLS means? thanks

hookedonhouses February 22, 2010 at 8:21 am

Karen–
It stands for Multiple Listing Service. It’s what we call the real estate listings. I forget that not everyone calls them that! Sorry. -Julia

Katrina C. May 25, 2010 at 7:51 am

Oh gosh I’m so scared right now! I’m terrified of Freddy Kruger..I’ve have nightmares for years because of him! LOL! I would never buy that house!

Gloria December 1, 2010 at 10:13 pm

That is so creepy that someone would have that in such a gorgeous, rich house… I just can’t understand it, for the life of me!
Best,
Gloria
.-= Gloria´s last blog ..Shop Cinderella Moments! =-.

amy April 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I just got creeped out….seriously loving your site :)

{ 1 trackback }