Hooked on Nancy Drew Mysteries

by hookedonhouses on July 16, 2009

nancy-drew-bungalow-mystery-coverWelcome to another Hooked on Fridays, a blog party I host at the end of each week to celebrate the things that make us happy. When I was a girl, one of the things that made me happiest was collecting Nancy Drew mysteries. I saved my allowance to buy them and always asked for them for my birthday. I wanted to grow up and be a writer just like Carolyn Keene. I kept my Nancy Drew mysteries all these years and have them sitting with their yellow covers on a bookshelf in my bedroom. They still make me smile when I look through them.

nancy-drew-mystery-at-the-moss-cov-mansion

I meticulously wrote my initials on the spines of each one with red ink and inscribed the inside covers with my full name, just in case they were ever lost or stolen. This of course means they’ll never be worth much for collectors, but I’d never sell them anyway.

ND PCB box mech.indd

Today I was looking through them and reliving some of my favorite mysteries when it occurred to me. There’s a recurring theme to the Nancy Drews on my shelf that I never noticed before.

nancy-drew-password-to-larkspur-lane

They all have something to do with houses. Imagine that! My favorite mysteries had titles like The Mystery at the Moss-Covered Mansion. The Hidden Staircase. The Mystery at Lilac Inn. The Ghost of Blackwood Hall. The Bungalow Mystery. And The Secret in the Old Attic.

nancydrewhiddenstaircase

Did you read Nancy, too? Check out this Nancy Drew website to learn everything you ever wanted to know about her and see how the covers changed over the years.

Now it’s your turn to tell us what you’re hooked on today! If you have something to share with us on your blog, then add your link below. Just please be sure to:

1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post, not your general blog address.
  2. Include what you’re hooked on in parentheses after your blog name. Ex: The Red Cottage (antiques)
  3. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today!
  4. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
  5. Double-check to make sure your link works and goes to the right page so it doesn’t get deleted! If you come back and see your link is gone, re-read these rules and try again next week.

Mr. Linky is having issues. I can’t get him to work, so let’s try the new MckLinky instead this week.

Things That Inspire July 16, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I was never a fan (I loved Trixie Belden), but my daughters can’t get enough of Nancy Drew! Luckily my MIL saved all of the books that my SIL read growing up.
.-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..Inspirational Atlanta Designers =-.

Robin All Things Heart and Home July 16, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I collected Nancy Drew books too! I never noticed the house theme! Wow!!!
I do love novels with house themes and movies with beautiful homes so it makes sense that I would have been drawn all those years ago to Nancy Drew!
Happy Weekend~Robin
All Things Heart and Home
.-= Robin All Things Heart and Home´s last blog ..Foodie Friday…2 Fun and Easy Recipes! =-.

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home July 16, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Hi Julia. I used to love Nancy Drew books! They were a great way to pass the time in the summers when I was in grade school. My mother purchased the whole set for my sisters and me, and they looked so sharp lined up on a shelf. Thanks for featuring this fun fictional series! ~Arleen
.-= Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home´s last blog ..Decorating in White Elegance =-.

Jenny July 16, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I’ve never been a fiction reader. I think it’s so funny that all of your books are about houses. You were hooked on houses, before you even knew it!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Picnic Table Talk: Imagination =-.

pk @ room remix July 16, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Nancy Drew when I was growing up! I wish I still had the books that I had back. Don’t even really know what I did with them. It’s awesome that you still have some. I still like mysteries to this day.
.-= pk @ room remix´s last blog ..Hooked on Stenciled Window Treatments =-.

Suzy July 16, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I love me some Nancy Drew books when I was younger and the Hardy Boys of course. And the Nancy Drew movie that came out 3 years ago was very cute…My daughter and her friends dressed in Nancy -like clothes to go see the Movie..How Cute!
.-= Suzy´s last blog ..Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches =-.

Mary Beth July 16, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I loved ready Nancy Drew mysteries when I was a young girl. What a fun stroll down memory lane. : )

steadymom July 16, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Nancy Drew was my hero as a girl! I even remember sneaking around an old abandoned car one day (slightly dangerous!) to search for “clues.”

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Jamie
.-= steadymom´s last blog ..The Little Red Hen Revisited =-.

Trish @The Old Post Road July 16, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I also LOVED Trixie Belden! It was so disheartening when I could not get either of my girls to read Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, or the Bobbsey Twins! Such wonderful childhood memories for me! Oh, well — their loss!

How smart to catch onto the house theme in Nancy Drew!
.-= Trish @The Old Post Road´s last blog ..Country Music Mansion =-.

Porch Days July 16, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Didn’t we all love our Nancy Drew books? I introduced my daughter to them and she has her own collection. When we lived in Maine (many years ago) I found the absolute antique Nancy Drew car – convertible, powder blue with white wall tires. How I wish I could have bought it!
.-= Porch Days´s last blog ..Flower Planters =-.

Katie @ makingthishome.com July 16, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Beautiful thing to be hooked on, Julia. I know my mom and her sisters would agree – they were huge fans growing up. They all gave their book collection to me, but at that point, I was a little too old to really get into them like I hoped. Maybe with a daughter some day. They look fascinating for the right age group!
Katie
.-= Katie @ makingthishome.com´s last blog ..Light Up My Life – Take II =-.

sue July 16, 2009 at 9:13 pm

OMG! I loved Nancy Drew as a kid. I also loved The Three Investigators!! Thanks for the memory jolt.

Shannan July 16, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I went through a brief Nancy phase, but my heart really belonged to The Babysitter’s Club and the Sweet Valley High twins. :)
.-= Shannan´s last blog ..A Bushel and a Peck =-.

Heather July 16, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I LOVED Nancy Drew, and I’m happy my niece has now read all of them so we can compare notes! Did you know there’s a great book (forgot who publishes it) with all sorts of info, and lift the flaps, and secret messages? I got it for about $5 from the sale rack at Borders, and loved looking through it before I gave it to my niece.
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Knock Knock =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 16, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Julia, I loved Nancy too. I think I read about every single one our library had, and then my grandmother gave me some that she had. I still have them…they were printed in the early 1930s and have the awesome OLD illustrations. I wanted to be just like Nancy. ;)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Hooked On: Easy, DIY, Custom Memo Boards =-.

Atticmag July 16, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Are you kidding? My sisters and I were HUGE ND fans. Still have mine packed away :-) And like Amanda, I have some of the original old ones that belonged to my mother.
.-= Atticmag´s last blog ..Name Our New Pet =-.

Puna July 16, 2009 at 9:36 pm

This brings me back! We lived overseas when I was about 9 years old and there was nothing better than reading and re-reading Nancy Drew. No tv you know. I’m hooked too!
.-= Puna´s last blog ..While He’s Away =-.

Daly Essentials July 16, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I LOVED Nancy Drew! — I was always a big reader – so I loved series like Nancy Drew and the Baby-sitters Club! soo much fun! I eventually donated all of mine to the local library, they were so excited to get such an extensive collection!!
.-= Daly Essentials´s last blog ..Hotel Missoni =-.

Susan July 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Julial…this brought back soooo many memories. My best friend, Nan, and I could hardly wait to get our allowance. As soon as we did, we’d walk to the local toy/bookstore…it was called Joyland, and we’d each buy a different Nancy Drew. Of course, we’d read them in like 2-3 days and then swap and read each others. I went into my guest room and counted…I have 30…some have copyrights of 1959. I also, put my name, address, phone number and the date (LOL) inside some of the covers. I was apparently 11 and 12 when I was buying them. Most of those that I have either have something to do with a house in the title or a picture of a house on the front. I grew up wanting to be an investigator or a lawyer after reading those books. Well, now Iwork investigating abuse and neglect of elderly and disabled and I married a lawyer and my son is in law school. Ummmm, funny how life works out. Occasionally, I see them at A Classy Flea…I think I may try to fill in some that I’m missing…but they have to be the same style. They were such a wonderful escape, weren’t they…back when t.v. was just black and white and you got maybe 2 channels. :-) Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Welcome to the 47th Tablescape Thursday! =-.

Stephanie July 16, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I never got to read the Nancy Drew books as a girl. I was a Little House fan. I feel like I missed out, because I know so many that loved them. I guess it’s never too late!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Master Bedroom in Progress =-.

Struggler July 16, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I did indeed read Nancy Drew, but must admit my first love was for Enid Blyton’s Famous Five.
How strange that even then you gravitated towards house-y titles. I’ve read in career advice books that the things we loved as children can point the way to happiness as an adult. You have a great collection!
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..5 tools to make your blog rock =-.

maya | springtree road July 16, 2009 at 11:08 pm

i loved nancy drew! my favorites were the mystery of the 99 steps and the spider sapphire mystery. :)
.-= maya | springtree road´s last blog ..Great first day! =-.

Jen - The Thrifty Home July 16, 2009 at 11:18 pm

I recognize a few of those books and remember reading them. I need to get my daughter into those books, they are so much better than the kids books that are out today.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove July 16, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Nancy Drew books! I have been collecting them again for my granddaughter!
.-= Diann @ The Thrifty Groove´s last blog ..Time Management Online =-.

Angela @ Imaginecozy July 16, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I really loved Nancy Drew novels. Although today I cannot remember many of the stories. Maybe I should reread a few! I have been trying to get my daughter to read them, but as of yet she is not too interested.
.-= Angela @ Imaginecozy´s last blog ..Family Room Makeover Quiz =-.

Kate at www.CentsationalGirl.com July 16, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Oh, I went through a BIG Nancy Drew phase, where I would bury myself in my room (I shared with my sister) and hide out until I finished the latest mystery. I LOVED those books. They still hold a nostalgic place in my heart. Thanks for reminiscing. Kate
.-= Kate at http://www.CentsationalGirl.com´s last blog ..DIY: Jewelry Tree =-.

Christy July 17, 2009 at 12:29 am

My mother loved Nancy and passed her along to me and I enjoyed Nancy both the books and the tv series and the latest movie! Thanks for sharing your collection, you are right one of the best things about each book were the houses!
.-= Christy´s last blog ..a summer sewing project =-.

Tamara July 17, 2009 at 1:14 am

I LOVE Nancy Drew! I’ve read all of the above :)
.-= Tamara´s last blog ..Hooked on Camping =-.

Christy July 17, 2009 at 1:21 am

I think I also read every Nancy Drew book when I was young as well. I had an entire collection of yellow-spine hardbacks but traded them in at the used bookstore when I was a teenager. Boy do I wish I had them back now!

Janmary, N Ireland July 17, 2009 at 1:51 am

Isn’t it funny about the houses in the stories!

I love my childhood books, and really hope my daughters will love the same ones too.
.-= Janmary, N Ireland´s last blog ..A beautiful coastal walk in Northern Ireland =-.

Lynne, Tea for Joy July 17, 2009 at 3:49 am

Oh, this takes me back. I loved Nancy Drew. Reminds me I meant to watch that Nancy Drew film (which I’m sure wasn’t that great, but I wouldn’t mind watching it.) I should re-read!
.-= Lynne, Tea for Joy´s last blog ..Lovely Lovely =-.

m July 17, 2009 at 4:41 am

This is too fun! I wasn’t a Nancy Drew girl though, I was into Trixie Belden, but only because they my big sister already had them. I might just have to go dust them off and take a trip down memory lane! THX!

m ^..^
.-= m´s last blog ..Stop! Danger! Turn Back! =-.

christy July 17, 2009 at 5:05 am

Ooh I LOVED Nancy Drew books! Julia you were so smart to keep them – I don’t have any anymore – I’ll have to buy all new ones for my daughter to enjoy when she’s a bit older. I love that you wrote your initials on them – too cute. And how interesting that your house fascination did begin at such an early age!
.-= christy´s last blog ..$150 prize from AllModern.com =-.

Lisa July 17, 2009 at 5:47 am

I loved Nancy Drew books and the Hardy boys too! I was so in love with Shaun Cassidy!
I wish I had kept all of my books too. Our son enjoys reading them too.

Thanks for the memories.
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..Thankful Thursday =-.

laney July 17, 2009 at 6:14 am

…oh my goodness…i read and collected them too…i so wanted to grow up to be nancy drew…to have a roadseter (how many of you know what a roadster is?)…a boy friend like ned…two funny friends to go with me on my adventures… a lawyer father like carson drew…and most of all to be held captive in some “dark and dank” basement…and to still break out and escape and come up with the final clue and soulution to the mystery…i loved too watching the old nancy drew movies…but i must say their nancy was not like the one in my mind…mine was not as flighty….i hated it when they rewrote the books…changing the language…”dumbing them down” infuriates me to this day….thanks for the memory…it is suppose to thunder and storm here today…perfect for reading the hidden staircase….

Sherrie July 17, 2009 at 6:22 am

Hi!
Never read any Nancy Drew books. I’ll have to check into those at the library. Mine is posted. Have a great day!

Sherrie
.-= Sherrie´s last blog ..HOOKED ON FRIDAYS =-.

Sarah July 17, 2009 at 6:37 am

I loved Nancy Drew (I still do, along with the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder) and The Hidden Staircase was my very first one. I remember the excitement and thrills at reading them. I remember the sense of triumph when I figured out whodunnit before the end of the book. :)
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..Sewing Box Friday: SOS =-.

Amy July 17, 2009 at 7:26 am

LOVED my mom’s Nancy’s Drews when I was little. I had so much fun with all of them! Then she sold them at a garage sale. At least I got to read them before they went!
.-= Amy´s last blog ..A distressed birdie tray. =-.

Eileen July 17, 2009 at 7:42 am

I was addicted to Nancy Drew and ‘The Hidden Staircase’ was my favorite! You have newer versions than I had!
My brothers had The Hardy Boys and I would read those too!
And up in our attic my Mom had found that the former owners had left behind a whole set of The Bobbsy Twins, so I spent one summer reading them too!

Thanks for a wonderful memory!
I think I’ll dig those books out again!

Lisa July 17, 2009 at 7:42 am

Oh, yes. I read every single one of them, sometimes two a day. It was my dream to have a little girl and go back and get first editions. Guess what–I GOT FOUR BOYS. I would still love to get an old set. Am settling for Hardy Boys for now.

I went to a small, private school that only had a few books, and our library didn’t have a full set, either. Our neighbor had full sets of Cherry Ames, Bobsey Twins, and Nancy Drew (first editions!) and loaned me all of them for as long as I wanted to keep them. I just cherished being able to read them over and over. What great memories–good Hooked On subject!

Ashley July 17, 2009 at 8:06 am

I wish I would’ve rad Nancy Drew, I’m sure I would’ve liked them. I was more into Baby Sitters Club, I read every last one of those. :)
.-= Ashley´s last blog ..Our Resident Chipmunk and Hummingbird =-.

Amy @ Living Locurto July 17, 2009 at 8:18 am

I was addicted to Sweet Valley High books. That was about the twins Jessica and Elizabeth. I think I had over 80 of those books!
.-= Amy @ Living Locurto´s last blog ..Free Printables with Vintage Flair =-.

Lola G. July 17, 2009 at 8:24 am

Nancy was the best!

Jane July 17, 2009 at 8:29 am

What a great post! When I was growing up, I owned and read all of the Nancy Drew books that were available at the time. They were my favorite books!

Jane

Alpaca Farmgirl July 17, 2009 at 9:09 am

I absolutely love Nancy Drew. Read every one of her books as a girl. Now my daughter isn’t interested in them. Bummer.
.-= Alpaca Farmgirl´s last blog ..Fiber Arts Friday =-.

Lindsay July 17, 2009 at 9:14 am

I am a half-hearted Nancy Drew collector. I only have 6 or 7 of them, but I love the yellow spines and the cover art of the 1960′s printings. I have found a few Goodwills for 50 cents each, so you can’t pass those up!
.-= Lindsay´s last blog ..Back40life Giveaway in Honor of My New Blog Design =-.

Abbie July 17, 2009 at 9:16 am

Oh, my goodness….You made me smile with the Nancy Drew series…I so remember these. Thanks for bringing me back. Abbie

Shelia July 17, 2009 at 9:17 am

OH, your post really caught my attention! I know I’m much older than you, but I LOVED reading Nancy Drews when I was young! I just got so drawn into her mysteries. I have a few of my olden books too. Don’t know what happened to the rest. Do you remember, I think it was the middle 70s, when there was the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series on TV? I also loved reading the Hardy Boys! Oh, sweet memories! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..Tablescape Thursday =-.

Bromeliad July 17, 2009 at 9:21 am

Had those same books with those same covers.

I also was a big fan of the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series.

Also Tolkien and assorted science fiction. Such a nerd.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality July 17, 2009 at 9:33 am

Oh, I just loved Nancy Drew books too and we had a ton of them. I didn’t keep them though. Still love mysteries to this day! Happy friday!

PamperingBeki July 17, 2009 at 9:38 am

I loved Nancy Drew! And now my 9 yr old daughter reads them all the time. And Hardy Boys too. :)

Mary July 17, 2009 at 9:58 am

What a wonderful collection and it brings back many fond childhood reading! I love your blog too! :O) Mary @Boogieboard Cottage

Mrs. Petrie July 17, 2009 at 10:00 am

I never read Nancy Drew as a kid! I wish I had. I was a Little House/Anne of Green Gables girl. Meaningful books certainly give a house a soul. :)
.-= Mrs. Petrie´s last blog ..Horse-Inspired Design =-.

sarahv July 17, 2009 at 10:11 am

Just had to raise my hand as well. Loved Nancy, and read everything Nancy. Also enjoyed Trixie (I really just wanted her name, how cool is Trixie?). My daughter is showing signs of being interested in Nancy as well, so I am a happy camper. :)

Stephanie July 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

I loved Nancy Drew as a child and read everyone of them! My mother [bless her soul!] donated ALL of my ND books to my grade school library once I headed off to college; I have NEVER recovered from her giving my books away!

Tracy July 17, 2009 at 10:56 am

Yes, I loved Nancy Drew! And a series called The Happy Hollisters about a family of kids who solved mysteries. They were always creeping around some old abandoned house too! I don’t think I still have my ND books : ( but I know I have the others… they’re part of my daughter’s collection now.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..A Whole New Deux =-.

Sandy July 17, 2009 at 11:06 am

Hi Julia,

I read almost EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Happy Friday!

Liz Jenkins July 17, 2009 at 11:52 am

I LOVED the Nancy Drew books – would get a box every year for Christmas and collected them. Had the kinds with the yellow bindings. Had all of them and then my mom got rid of them when I moved away (I still can’t believe it!) so now I’m recollecting them for my daughter (she’s 7 and has just started reading them). I have to admit I love the nostalgia of reading them myself.
I also have: The Nancy Drew Cookbook (Clues to Good Cooking) by Carolyn Keene, The Girl Sleuth (On The Trail of Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton and Cherry Ames) by Bobbie Ann Mason, and The Mysterious Case of Nancy Drew & The Hardy Boys by Carole Kismaric & Marvin Heiferman. All recommended reading for Nancy Drew lovers.
It makes me smile just to think of them – and realize how many others loved them to!
.-= Liz Jenkins´s last blog ..What’s important to YOU is what you should do . . . =-.

Dagny @ Beautiful Living July 17, 2009 at 11:54 am

LOVE Nancy Drew! I read all of them when I was younger. Loved the Bobsey kids as well :D
.-= Dagny @ Beautiful Living´s last blog ..What Makes a Room Great? / Hva er det som virkelig "gjør" et rom? =-.

Lamp Tramp July 17, 2009 at 11:58 am

What wonderful memories, I had just about all of these also. Lovely childhood books, wonder if many young people read them today?
.-= Lamp Tramp´s last blog ..Hooked on SEWING SLIPCOVERS =-.

Janet July 17, 2009 at 12:56 pm

love buying the old ones at the thrift stores.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Stop, Stop, Stop It!! =-.

The Undomesticated Wife July 17, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I used to love Nancy Drew books. I’d get up early, take the bus to the library and get there when it first opened so I’d have first pick of the books. If I waited too late to get to the library, all the ND books would be checked out.

Now, when I see them at garage sales and such, I buy them. I don’t know why. Good memories I guess.

Tori Lennox July 17, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I enjoyed Nancy Drew, too, but I loved Trixie Belden even more. And she had a lot of houses in her mysteries, too. Come to think of it, so did Judy Bolton, another of my fave teen detectives! :)

I don’t have all the Nancy Drew books, but I have a good portion of them. Some day when I have the room, I’d like to get them all. And I’m slowly replacing my worn out Trixie Belden books. Now to fill out my sparse Judy Bolton collection.
.-= Tori Lennox´s last blog ..I think I’ll live =-.

Shabbyfufu July 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Wow, just came across your blog by way of another. Those Nancy Drew books sure bring back memories of a flashlight under the covers when I was supposed to be sleeping and couldn’t put those books down!

Alea July 17, 2009 at 2:24 pm

LOL! I read them all and never saw the conection to homes before.
.-= Alea´s last blog ..My Ice Bucket Leads a Double Life =-.

Olive Rue July 17, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I was never much of a reader growing up, but I remember my friends loving them. Oppss did I just give away my age, lol? Hope you have a great weekend, Julia
.-= Olive Rue´s last blog ..Thrift Store Coffee Table Makeover =-.

Morning T July 17, 2009 at 2:34 pm

You’ve totally taken me back…I used to love Nancy Drew! I’ll have to start collecting them for my daughter.
.-= Morning T´s last blog ..Hooked on blogs =-.

SoBella Creations July 17, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was growing up. I’m pretty sure I read them all.
.-= SoBella Creations´s last blog ..Ribbons and Bows =-.

Carmen July 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I love Nancy Drew as well!!! Some of your faves are my favorites too. I am actually participating in the party this week. Go me! Thanks for hosting!
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Hooked on Fridays =-.

Cass @ That Old House July 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Oh Julia — Nancy Drew — I read those books over and over again. I even had some that my mother had — ‘way WAY back when! Sometimes I still grab one, still get a kick out of them. Don’t like the modernized versions — doesn’t every girl want a roadster and a housekeeper?
Cass
.-= Cass @ That Old House´s last blog ..Hooked On Faces — Sweet and Scary! =-.

SentimentsbyDenise July 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I grew up reading Nancy Drew and now my favorite books to read are suspense thrillers! I love a good intriguing storyline!
I still have a large set of my books stored away (the yellow spine hardback ones). My Mom would gift me throughout the year on special occasions with Nancy Drew mysteries.
Thanks for bringing back a great memory for me today!
.-= SentimentsbyDenise´s last blog ..Summer Salads – Waldorf =-.

Kathleen Ellis July 17, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Hi Julia~
Great post! I didn’t read many Nancy Drew mysteries but I read most all of the Trixie Belden mystery series. I loved them so much that a few years back I began hunting for them at flea markets and yard sales…I’ve collected at least 25 or so…now to make the time to read them!
Happy weekend!
;-D
.-= Kathleen Ellis´s last blog ..Decorating with Red, White and Blue… =-.

Heathahlee July 17, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I LOVED Nancy Drew as well as The Hardy Boys growing up. Now my son is reading The Hardy Boys, and he loves them!
.-= Heathahlee´s last blog ..A Very Little Update… =-.

Debbie July 18, 2009 at 12:03 am

I just wanted to say that as a kid, I read every single Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on. I’m going to visit that website and appreciate your adding the link. What great memories.

I lived across the street from the boat docks on Long Island and I would pretend I was Nancy Drew. I always thought I’d happen to stumble upon a mystery. LOL.
.-= Debbie´s last blog ..How’s Your Vision? =-.

christy July 18, 2009 at 5:52 am

Julia – check out this article in the New York Times!

.-= christy´s last blog ..$150 prize from AllModern.com =-.

Lucy July 18, 2009 at 7:39 am

Yes — I read these… I loved them. I even had the pleasure of reading the ones my mother owned as a young girl. Before the books had the colorful covered pictures. They were blue spined (sp?) covers with embossed titles. I suppose they had jackets once too. I wish I knew what happened to those books — I’d love to have them just for sentimental reasons.
.-= Lucy´s last blog ..Hooked On Black . . . =-.

JoAnn July 18, 2009 at 8:30 am

This post brought back such good memories. Thanks!

I loved Nancy Drew books…they “took me away”. I remember sitting in the book department at John Wanamaker’s and reading a book while my mother shopped. My kids cannot believe I was left there alone. how times have changed.

One of my friends just got “Nancy Drew’s Guide to Life” for her 60th birthday and it was her favorite gift.
.-= JoAnn´s last blog ..Tired ! =-.

bj July 18, 2009 at 8:51 am

None of the girls in our family had these and I’m not sure why. We are all readers but somehow missed the ND part of our life.
So glad you still have the ones you enjoyed so much.
.-= bj´s last blog ..My 3rd scratched up ole TOLE TRAY….. =-.

Laurie July 18, 2009 at 9:16 am

Long time lurker, first time commenter. When I saw Nancy, I had to respond. I’m a huge fan and still have my complete set of yellow-spined Nancy’s, purchased for me for birthdays and Christmases long ago. My mother turned me on to them because she loved them, too. I now collect the dust-jacketed Applewoods and the yellow-spined editions that show different covers from the 60′s-70′s versions I have. I had the pleasure of meeting Mildred Wirt Benson (a.k.a. Carolyn Keene) at a Nancy Drew Conference in Iowa City in 1993. It was a wonderful experience to be among all the other Nancy Drew geeks across the country!

Love reading your blog; it’s one of my favorites! And thank you for bringing Nancy back for all of us to reminisce about.

Mahala July 18, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Growing up, a perfect weekend for me was to go to the library on Thursday, take out five Nancy Drew books, read one Friday night, two on Saturday, and two more on Sunday. Reading those books whetted my appetite for mysteries, an appetite that has continued unabated for fifty years. I was never able to afford to buy any, but was thrilled when friends would lend them to me. They offered a glimpse into the lives of the “haves”, and being a “have not” it was very influential in stoking my desire to succeed. And the best thing about it all was finally learning that the author of many of the books lived in my hometown of Toledo, Ohio. What a thrill to know that she was right there, a few miles away, when she wrote the books that so influenced my young life.

lylah ledner July 18, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Those Nancy Drew books bring back a TON of sweet memories…thanks for sharing them.
.-= lylah ledner´s last blog ..Window Gardening =-.

daily decorator July 19, 2009 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the memories!
.-= daily decorator´s last blog ..Sweet Sunday =-.

Puna July 19, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Wow Julia. I came back to go through the links and there is a ton. I hope I can find my way through all of them…

{ 5 trackbacks }