Inside the Queen Anne Victorian from “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”

by hookedonhouses on July 7, 2009

Mary Tyler Moore House MN for sale 2007

Yesterday we took a look at Mary Richards’ third-story apartment from “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” Today I thought I’d show you what the Queen Anne Victorian really looks like. Here’s the information from the 2007 real estate listing information, when it was on the market for $3.6 million in Minneapolis, Minnesota:

This 1892 Queen Anne Victorian was the setting for the Mary Tyler Moore show. Recently and completely renovated for today’s family. The main floor parlor and living room have incredible woodwork. A new kitchen and family room, suitable for entertaining, and a totally new master bath, was added to the home. There is a 3rd-floor guest suite with three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a separate living area. This home offers a three car garage, and over 9,000 square feet.

Here’s an image of it used on the show in 1970, and the photo above is what it looks like now.

front of Mary-Tyler-Moore-Show-house on TV

In this exterior shot, Mary walks out of the house toward the street and you can see the chain link fence that used to surround the old house. Thankfully, it’s gone now!

Mary Tyler Moore Show in front of Victorian house

The renovation included a nearly 3,000 square-foot addition that added two bedrooms, three baths, and expanded the kitchen. Here are the photos featured in the real estate listing:

Mary Tyler Moore house for sale 2007 exterior

The sweeping mahogany staircase in the entry:

mary tyler moore house listing 2007 entry

Mary Tyler Moore house staircase MN listing

This article explains that the house now has exercise, sauna, crafts, office and billiards rooms and servants or nanny’s quarters. The third-floor space–which the owners referred to as the “Mary Tyler Moore Suite”–went from being unfinished attic space to a home office and media room.

Mary Tyler Moore house living room 2007 listing

I found these two photos of the dining room from an earlier listing, before the renovation several years ago, but there weren’t any photos of it in the more recent listing. I’d love to see what changes, if any, they made to it:

Mary Tyler Moore house dining room before reno

Mary Tyler Moore house dining room before reno 2

The kitchen, which is now four times its original size:

gourmet kitchen-Mary Tyler Moore house

The house has 8 bedrooms, 5 full baths, and 4 half baths. This is the master bedroom:

master bedroom in Mary Tyler Moore house

I found this photo taken of it a few years before its renovation, when it was very brown. At the time it sold for around $1 million:

Mary Tyler Moore House minneapolis before reno

The house had been divided into apartments like they were on the TV show, but the extensive renovation returned it to a single-family dwelling. (Thanks to Derek of Derek M Designs for sending me these photos from the former listings!)

P.S. If you missed it, check out my earlier post about the sets:

Mary-Tyler-Moore-cast-photo

Mary Richards’ Apartment on The Mary Tyler Moore Show

P.S. Looking for house photos from a favorite TV show or movie? Click here!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions July 7, 2009 at 7:18 am

Julia ~ What a blast from the past! I remember wanting to be Mary Tyler Moore when I grew up and live in that apartment. The current look of the house is beautiful. I might make some furniture switches to the master bedroom, but it looks like every room is beautifully done.

Kellye July 7, 2009 at 7:18 am

Was the house moved back from the street? It was sitting almost directly on it and the new pathway looks way too long to fit on the same space.

hookedonhouses July 7, 2009 at 7:31 am

Kellye, it really does look farther back from the street now, but there was no mention about it that I could find anywhere. -Julia

Nancy Reffle July 7, 2009 at 7:39 am

Amazing, this is just gorgeous! I would have loved to see the Craft room. Thanks Kathy for sharing on Twitter.

Nancy
coeurdalenegifts.blogspot.com

Claudia@DipityRoad July 7, 2009 at 9:01 am

I love this house. And besides Oprah, there are many of us that were just waiting and wanting to grow up just like Mary.

I particularly love the kitchen! I dunno, something about white kitchens that draw me in.

As always, lovely post!

TTFN~~Claudia ♥
.-= Claudia@DipityRoad´s last blog ..Before and After –Crooked pots =-.

Britt July 7, 2009 at 9:14 am

Beautiful! It’s so nice to see an old house restored and looking good.
.-= Britt´s last blog ..Sneak Peek =-.

Derek July 7, 2009 at 10:35 am

Anytime a homeowner takes the time and money to preserve a homes historical details I have to give them a big thumbs up. All to often its cheaper and eaasier to remove them rather than repair them.

On a side note: I found a news artical that talked about a man breaking into the MTM house while it was on the market. The police found him in the third floor bedroom asleep with the TV on and the remote in his hand… Do you think he was trying to fulfill some MTM fantasy? That’s taking your fan worship a bit to far.
.-= Derek´s last blog ..The Bagpiper =-.

Jocelyn Stott July 7, 2009 at 10:56 am

I LOVED these photos. This style of home has always been one of my favorites and that kitchen is insane. Thanks for sharing!
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..The Cabin =-.

Carmen July 7, 2009 at 11:00 am

It’s beautiful! That’s my kind of house! :)
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..God Bless America =-.

Jenny July 7, 2009 at 11:49 am

It’s beautiful! I love that kitchen!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Goldilicious? =-.

christy July 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm

What a gorgeous house – I can’t believe the size of that kitchen. Four ovens?! Oh my!
.-= christy´s last blog ..There may not be crying in baseball… =-.

Jewel July 7, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Thanks so much for showing that! I loved MTM and now live in an old Victorian, so this post and the one from yesterday were like a dream come true!
.-= Jewel´s last blog ..Bloomingdale’s Table Top Tool =-.

Suzy July 7, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to track down this house. I love the kitchen with it’s 4 ovens on the wall. This would make a great Bed and Breakfast now with those full baths. The price is a little out of my range though……LOL
.-= Suzy´s last blog ..Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies and her love for Chocolate =-.

Karen July 7, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Thanks for sharing. I find the kitchen WAY too big! Doesn’t do much for me . . a bit sterile. But I guess if you had 28 kids it’s just the ticket:)

Jamie Goldberg, AKBD, CAPS July 7, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for all the great memories!

DesignTies July 7, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Wow, that’s an impressive house!! The wood trim and wainscoting are gorgeous. And the exterior looks SOOOOO much better now. That chain link fence was pretty bad!!

Are those really FOUR ovens in the kitchen?!

Kelly
.-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Welcome to our first Rewind Wednesday!! =-.

lylah ledner July 8, 2009 at 12:44 am

That sweeping staircase is awesome! Love that kitchen….

It’s always a delight to see what else you’re going to show us! Thanks for your hard work!
.-= lylah ledner´s last blog ..Notebook on French Fig and Cherry Torte =-.

melissa @ the inspired room July 8, 2009 at 2:40 am

She can turn the whole world on with her smile. She can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile. Well it’s YOU GIRL and you should know it…

Oh, my. Now I will have that song stuck in my head for the next 24 hours!

Good memories!!
.-= melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..Reality Check: Life is Still Good =-.

Mom in High Heels July 8, 2009 at 8:25 am

Beautiful! The entry grabbed me, but the kitchen sold me. I’m not sure I’m keen on living in Minneapolis though. Brrrr!
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Do you know what day it is? RTT!!!!! =-.

rue July 8, 2009 at 9:43 am

What a difference! The house was beautiful before, but now it’s a showpiece. My mom used to love that show. I can’t belive how modern it seems even now. Love her clothes too :)

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..I’m still here… =-.

Renee July 8, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I live in Minneapolis, not far from this home and Lake of the Isles which is the lake shown in the trailer. It is a beautiful area. A few years back they put up a statue of Mary in downtown Minneapolis. Love your blogs.

Renee
Cottage Lifestyle
.-= Renee´s last blog ..Outdoor Wednesday… =-.

laura @ the shore house July 9, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Now THAT’S a house! I loved looking inside MTM’s house…I just loved that show. When I was a kid, I wanted to be her when I grew up. To work in TV and live in a fabulous apartment all by myself (a gal living alone? The horror! :-) She was such a renegade…).

It was fascinating to learn about the Impeach Nixon signage issue…I’d never heard that before. Ha!
.-= laura @ the shore house´s last blog ..A kazoo is not a toy. =-.

Debra July 9, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Wow! That was fun. I wanted to live in an apt like Mary’s when I grew up. :) The kitchen in the actual house is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photos and story – it brings back the fun times of watching the show.
.-= Debra´s last blog ..Already? =-.

Annette Piper July 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Wow, what great pics – I remember this show from my childhood so it was a little trip down memory lane as well! The house looks so great in its lighter colour scheme, the longer path makes it look like its much further from the street too – has the street been moved or is that an optical illusion?
.-= Annette Piper´s last blog ..A creative burst =-.

greenie July 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Looking at theses pictures again, I’m struck by a desire to decorate it for Halloween! How awesome would it be to “spook” this beauty up! :-)

dreamwebber June 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Although this is a beautiful house and something most modern families would enjoy..I miss the character of the kitchen and the living space featured on the tv show.

{ 3 trackbacks }