Bella & Edward: Living in the “Twilight” Zone

Houses featured in the movie "Twilight" | hookedonhouses.net

Since Twilight seems to be the only thing people can talk about these days, I thought it would be fun to take a closer look at both Bella’s modest home in Forks, Washington, and the contemporary, light-filled house Edward’s family lives in.

Bella’s House

Bella's House in "Twilight" | hookedonhouses.net

Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) has moved from Arizona to live with her father Charlie, the police chief of a small town in Washington where it rains all day, every day.

Bella's bedroom in Twilight movie

Bella and Edward in her bedroom in Twilight movie 2

Kristen Stewart and Billy Burke in Twilight movie

Bella and Edward in her bedroom in Twilight movie

Bella's house staircase in Twilight

Bella's kitchen in Twilight movie

Bella's living room in Twilight movie

Bella falls in love with Edward, one of the vampires who goes to her new high school. At first he is tempted to kill her, but he restrains himself. And good thing, too, because he soon realizes he’s in love with her.

Bella's kitchen in Twilight movie Edward

Bella Swan's house in the movie Twilight

Edward Cullen’s House

The Cullen House in Twilight | hookedonhouses.net

I like the movie version of the house, although it isn’t how I imagined from the book’s description:

“The house was timeless, graceful, and probably a hundred years old. It was painted a soft, faded white, three stories tall, rectangular and well proportioned.”

Edward Cullen's house in movie Twilight front door

Edward and Bella on the staircase in Twilight movie

Cullen kitchen in movie Twilight

Cullen kitchen in movie Twilight 2

Edward and Bella in Cullen house

Cullen family home in Twilight movie

I got a kick out of the wall of graduation caps:

Edward and Bella on the staircase in Twilight

Edward’s bedroom, which is really just a room, since there is no bed.

Edward Cullen's bedroom in movie Twilight with Bella

Edward Cullen's bedroom in movie Twilight

BTW, if you’re a fan of Robert Pattinson’s, check out his real-life Spanish Colonial, which is pretty much as different from Edward’s as it could possibly be:

Robert Pattinson's Spanish Colonial Los Feliz

Edward plays “Bella’s Lullaby,” a song he has composed for her. Instead of a real room in the Cullen house, they appear to be hanging out in a ’90s music video:

Edward Cullen at the piano in Twilight movie

The Cullens are really into cars. Here’s their garage:

Cullen family garage in Twilight

UPDATE: I found photos of the real house they used for the Cullen family. You can read about it here.

Cullen house in movie Twilight

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen for more Twilight, including…

Bella and Edward's Cottage Twilight Breaking Dawn 2

The Newlyweds’ Cottage

“Twilight” Revisited: the Contemporary Home Used for the Cullens

You Can Buy Edward Cullen’s House House from New Moon

Bella & Edward’s Honeymoon Hideaway in Brazil

must-love-dogs-poster
The romantic comedy Must Love Dogs with Diane Lane and John Cusack may have been kind of forgettable, but the bungalow that Lane's character lived…
Ferris Bueller's house in the movie
Cameron Frye's contemporary glass house from Ferris Bueller's Day Off is on the market, so I thought it would be fun to take a look back at…

Comments

1. Billy says

I don’t get to watch the movie till I go to my Mom’s, we bond over these teen movies. (Okay we rip them apart with wild abandon that drives Pops for the room regretting bringing the first satellite dish, all 3 meters of it, home in 82.)

BTW thanx for the post.

Are there two garages? The exterior has one extra wide two car door but the interior looks like a door per bay. Just curious.

Julia, your post really made me laugh! I do like vampire books, but I didn’t want to read a YA series. But I did and I loved it. I thought the movie was pretty hokey, but I’m pretty sure I’m not its demographic. :) I didn’t remember the wall of graduation supplies from the movie. So goofy!

3. Cher says

Oh, Lord. I could not stomach this book — so the movie was out of the question. But I’d love to get my hands on Bella’s/Charlie’s house! That place seriously needs a good freshening up. And honestly: the Pacific Northwest does *not* look sad and gloomy all the time! What is up with the DP on this movie?

Ok so I also read those books a few weeks ago. In my young days (sigh) it was Anne Rice. I loved her vampire, witch and other creatures books. I have to say the first book took me a month to read. Bad writing, bad story. lol Toward the end it was a bit better. I also saw the movie. Yeah, you can’t over think things. I tried to make sense and all I got from my friend is “It’s JUST a book”. lol

Anyway, the Cullens house does look nice. All those windows. Very open. I liked it.

Nancy’s last blog post..Pork spareribs. Côtelettes de porc.

LOL! I too resisted reading the books until Dec of last year. I didn’t want to like them, I was just reading to prove how much I would dislike them. At one point I was reading Twilight and threw the book down and uttered a mild curse. M asked what was wrong, and I told him I was mad because I liked it and now would have to read them all. :) The writing is terrible, don’t get me wrong, and if you think too hard it does start to fall apart, but the concept is fascinating. Plus, Edward….yummy.
    I saw the movie and while Bella’s house is exactly like I pictured it (except for the kitchen-where are the yellow cabinets? They are mentioned several times in the books), the Cullen’s house is nothing like what I had in my mind. For some reason I pictured it as a big Victorian with a wrap around veranda and huge windows. I have no idea why.

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..Memorial Day 2009

Hey Julia! Isn’t it funny how that book just sucks you into the whole sha-bang! Yes….even I had to sit at my computer reading Midnight Sun!
    Loved the Cullen house – who wouldn’t love living in that! I thought the set designers did a good job of it….although I was looking forward to seeing the doctor’s room with all the old artwork – maybe in another movie!
    Happy Memorial Day!

The Summer Kitchen Girls’s last blog post..Remembering

I too resisted reading for some time and during the month of April read all 4 books, watched the movie and am now obsessed with all things Twilight. Thanks for this feature! I hope New Moon shows us much more.

The graduation cap collage is my favorite!

Bridget’s last blog post..Noms

I never would have thought of this one, but of course you should do Twilight! I hope they don’t change the Cullins house, because we should be able to see a lot more of it in upcoming movies.

songbirdtiff’s last blog post..

Hi Julia,
    I have to tell you, I get the whole, “Why would I read a teen vamp book” thing. I too was sucked in though. All four books in 12 days (I know). The movie on opening weekend. Yeah, I’m a dork. A 30 y.o. teenager apparently. I love that you featured Bella and Edward’s houses. Even though their beautiful contemporary of the movie was nothing like the big old white farmhouse described in the books. 😉 Movies, what are ya’ gonna do?
    Great post.
    Thanks for making me laugh at what a dork I am for loving these books so much.
    *Tricia

Tricia’s last blog post..Arlington National Cemetary, a Final Resting Place

10. greenie says

Well. like you, I’ve had just about 100 people tell me “I’ve just got to read these books”, but really have no interest. I did my vampire thing back in the 70s & 80s with Anne Rice etc. But on to more important things; Houses! :-) I love the Cullen house! Love the wood, love the glass, love the lines and also love that it’s set amongst the trees. Beautiful!

I feel like a broken record, but I went to Ireland a few weeks back and I decided that for the long plane ride I’d like to read something that would hold my interest and make me forget I was in the plane forever. So I decided to take along books one and two of the Twilight series. Although I was positive that I wasn’t going to be one of the people who talked about it non stop – stayed up waaaay to late in the evening just to finish another chapter or any of those things. But I was one of those people :) I loved it. I’ve now read Twilight three times, the rough draft Midnight sun once, and have just started book 4. Goodness. Thanks for the pictures! I’ve been holding off seeing the movie until I’m finished with book 4.

Kristin’s last blog post..On the road to Tipperary

Add me to the list of married mothers who are obsessed with Twilight! I resisted for the longest time, too. Then ended up reading all four books TWICE in a month! My husband calls Edward Cullen my boyfriend. Then I got my sister-in-law hooked, and my niece told my brother that she thinks “mom would leave you for Edward Cullen”.

lol at the 90’s music video…

Melanie’s last blog post..Happy 9 months AJ!

Oh my! What a gorgeous house…I just succumbed too…I have all four books on my nightstand waiting to be read. After I devour those, I’m sure I’ll watch the movie too. And buy the soundtrack. :-)

By the way, tomorrow I’m linking up to your post about attending that blogging conference!

christy’s last blog post..Weekend photos, Training update

To tell you the truth, I was very disappointed in how the movie was produced. Nothing was like it was in my imagination. I’m still going with the version I have in my head – it’s so much better.

duchess’s last blog post..Our Weekend in Atlanta – Part I

Haha! I love that you did this. My Mom read the books after I did and she analyzed everything…”Doesn’t it bother Bella that he kisses her after he’s been hunting?” I told her we could only discuss the books for 5 minutes at a time. I’m in love with Robert Pattinson now, my husband doesn’t mind.

Nikki’s last blog post..Life’s a beach…

What I want to see in the final movie is the cottage that Edward’s “mother” builds for Edward and Bella. Yes, I am a die-hard fan…

tricia’s last blog post..1.5 and counting…

I can’t judge you. I too got suckered into the craze. My girlfriends are already planning to go to the next movie on opening night. I didn’t get to see the first one in the theatre, but they said that the teenage girls would scream EVERY time Edward came on screen. I can’t blame them.

I also pictured the Cullen’s home as a Victorian…maybe she wrote about it that way???

Good post. 😉

Amanda @ Serenity Now’s last blog post..Tasty Tuesday: Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

I love you! Yes, I do! Why? Because I’m the self proclaimed ‘World’s Oldest Twilight Fan,’ and I’m not afraid to say so. Why oldest? Well, I’m 72 and so far, have not met an older fan. :-)

I found the first book, by myself. And I’m not into teen books or vampire books, either. But this saga is not about the usual teen, nor about the usual vampires. And I think that’s why its appeal, spans so many age groups.

After finding ‘Twilight,’ my oldest granddaughter saw it on my table, and it turned out that she too, was hooked. Then came the next in age, granddaughter. Followed by a couple of daughters in law. And we all went to see the movie, together. :-) I also took the teen grands to the evening/midnight book store party, for the first sale of the last book. :-) Just ‘Nana’ took them. And we all made a memory.

Thank you so much for being brave enough to feature these homes, on your Movie Monday Segment!!!

Now, I’ll read the other comments here. And certainly hope that no one pans you, for your choice.

Aunt Amelia

My Twilight themed blog…’Alice’s Aunt’… http://alicesaunt.blogspot.com/

Aunt Amelia’s last blog post..I’m taking a stand…

19. Betty says

How cool are the Cullens, they have a Mac in the garage!!!

I’m totally resisting the books, but I might watch the movie. I’m an Anne Rice Vampire series fan from way back and no one can write about them like she can except maybe Bram Stroker, so I have a hard time with it. Yep…. I’m a vampire snob LOL

rue’s last blog post..Blooms and Poetry

21. Derek says

I found the whole movie has a “blue” cast to it…..I have been to Oregon many times….. the world is not blue due to being overcast. I found it irritating

I totally caved and read 3 of the books. I read spoilers on the 4th and it sounds way too dumb, so I’m not going to bother hurring up to read it. LOL!

I have to admit, I loved the movie! Really glad I waited to watch it until after reading the book. This was a fun tour, now I’m excited for the other movies to come out!

Amy @ living locurto’s last blog post..Felt is fun and so are giveaways!

23. lara jane says

I am mortified to admit this to the world at large, but humility is a virtue, no?

I have read all four books EIGHT times (each) since September. (And Midnight Sun a few times. And all of the “deleted scenes” on SMeyers website.) I do the same with every other book/series that I get into. I’ll finish the series and immediately start over with Book One again. I can read a novel in 4-7 hours, depending on the length, so I always feel that I’ve missed some things in my haste. Therefore I must go back and read them with a fine tooth comb. And then again. And again. Rinse, dry, repeat. For weeks on end.

We have thousands of books, fantastic books, real literature. I just like my guilty pleasures, I guess. I can’t explain myself. I am such a weirdo.

About the houses, yes, Charlie’s was pretty true to the book, minus the yellow cabinets. The Cullens was all wrong, but still very cool. I will leave my judgments on the film right there. Suffice to say, I am very much looking forward to the NEWWWWW director on the sequel.

“I got a kick out of the wall of graduation caps. They have “matriculated many times,” as Edward explains, so it’s sort of an inside joke with the family. (They’re all eternally teenagers, you see. But why they bother going through high school again and again, I have no idea. Get a job already!)”

Just a theory though…I think it’s because they need to sort of blend in and keep their identities as vampires very much a secret so as not to incur the visits from Volturri. It was mentioned that they looked so young so they can’t pass up as 24-something-professionals in a working environment. (Sigh – talk about having life outside Twilight)

These are great. I’d love to see the cottage that Isabel (Nicole Kidman) lives in on the movie Bewitched. It is so lovely.

26. Suzette says

Hi Julia,
    Well. . . your post of pics from Twilight finally made me cave. Last week, I went and read it. and then I was at Barnes and Noble getting New Moon. That was a week ago. I have 200 pages left on Breaking Dawn, I own the movie and the soundtrack. I’m fully addicted :) Great post!!

I LOVE that you posted about the Twilight houses! I too was reticent to get roped into the Twilight Saga but I rented it, bought the movie and read all the books in a span of about 4 days. I officially drank the Kool-Aid and I’m hooked. Great post I love the Cullen’s house “it’s so light and open” haha :)
    .-= Breanna´s last blog ..How To- Treat a Sunburn =-.

28. Brooke Siskey says

hey! love this site! did you know that Bella’s house is a real house in St. Helens, Oregon.. there are a lot of pics on the internet of the real house, also they used the courthouse and square, etc. in the town of St. Helens for the movie Halloweentown!