Personal Day

by hookedonhouses on April 28, 2009

It’s my birthday, so I’m taking a personal day. I’m leaving my computer and the stacks (and stacks) of work I have to do on it behind. Dave is taking me out to lunch at one of my favorite restaurants and to see a movie. Then maybe I’ll get my bike out, tie on a cape, and perform a few tricks for old time’s sake (“Look, Ma, one hand!”).

I’ve been tagged for a million of those “100 Things About Me” types of memes and never participated because this blog is about houses, not about me. But since it’s my birthday, just for fun, I’ll at least try to list ten.

10 Things You May Not Know About Me

1. I’m related to the actor Jack Lemmon–my great-grandma was a Lemmon–but I never met him.

2. I always wanted to be a magazine editor when I grew up. I drew elaborate plans and layouts for the magazines I was going to create someday. I guess having a blog isn’t too far off!

3. I’ve written several novels, but they never leave my computer. (And never will, so don’t even ask.)

4. I have published some of my short stories, though.

5. I used to teach writing workshops and I loved it.

6. I got married when I was in college and was way too young to know what I was doing. It worked out anyway. :-)

7. I was told I would probably never have children, but I have two of them. (Sometimes doctors are wrong.)

8. I’m an INFJ on the MBTI. (I love all that personality-typing stuff.)

9. I used to have a “mommy blog” called “Mom-a-Rama,” but I couldn’t keep up with it. Apparently I had less to say about motherhood than I do about houses!

10. My family calls me “Julie Rae.” I only started going by “Julia” after college, figuring it would make me sound more professional. I’m still “Julie” to anyone who knew me before that.

Now tell me something about you that I might not know! I love learning more about my blog friends.

P.S. I just checked to see what I wrote last year on my birthday and realized I wrote about myself then, too. If you aren’t totally bored with me yet, you can find a few more “fascinating facts” about my life and see a picture of me as a young ballerina here.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut April 28, 2009 at 9:13 am

Awww. We love ya Julie….and not one of those things surprises me. Well, maybe the Jack Lemmon thing.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut’s last blog post..I’m hankerin’ for a change…

Kathy April 28, 2009 at 9:29 am

Happy Birthday! I got married too young as well, but we obviously did something right, because we’ll celebrate our 30th anniversary next month!

Kathy’s last blog post..Review: Sima’s Undergarments for Women

bungalowbliss April 28, 2009 at 9:37 am

Aww, happy birthday, girl! Enjoy your day off and your hot lunch date!

bungalowbliss’s last blog post..Balancing Act

desiree April 28, 2009 at 9:37 am

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your Day!

desiree’s last blog post..Guadalupe Gardens: A Rose for Mom

Maya April 28, 2009 at 9:40 am

Well, happy birthday Julia…, sounds like a great day. I’m always happy to learn a bit more about the bloggers behind the blogs I love to visit.

Maya’s last blog post..The seven prettiest Coastal Towns in America

Linda/ "Mom..." April 28, 2009 at 9:57 am

* HAPPY BD, dear JULIE RAY, JULIA or JULIE (whichever you are this VERY “special day”!)~~~

I always enjoy visiting you & your blog (“same thing”, right?!?!), & am so happy you n’ your husband are able to enjoy some birthday-time, together, today!!! Talk about BLESSINGS!!! (And were you aware that there are NO CALORIES, NO CARBS, in ANYTHING you eat today?~~~ So, enjoy some ice cream with your cake!!!)~~~

(We, too, married very young, 41 years ago~ , and we, too, feel soooooo lucky!!!).

HAPPY to hear your ARE taking time to ENJOY YOUR “…th, st, nd, rd or th” BIRTHDAY!!!

Warmest wishes,
Linda in AZ (an “ENFP”~ “BIG TIME”!) *

Linda/ "Mom..." April 28, 2009 at 9:59 am

(P.S. I was 3 when we married, in case yer “countin’”!!!)~~~

Michelle April 28, 2009 at 10:19 am

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day! Of course we want to hear about you too. I got married at 21, way too young as well but it worked out just fine. Phew!
~Michelle

Michelle’s last blog post..Vintage Indie Feature

Pat April 28, 2009 at 10:25 am

Happy Birthday Julia!

The doctors told Michelle the same thing….she’s mommy to Gabi and Drew!!

I like your ten things!

Pat’s last blog post..~Spring Showers & Flowers~

Heather April 28, 2009 at 10:44 am

Happy Birthday!

Heather’s last blog post..Eight years ago…

Jackie Whitley April 28, 2009 at 10:52 am

Happy Bday !

Do you work from home now ?

Christy April 28, 2009 at 10:55 am

Happiest Birthday Wishes Julia! I love that you posted that sweet little childhood picture and list of random facts about yourself – fun! I hope the weather is cooperating where you are and that you can dine alfresco today. If we were neighbors I would bake you a dark chocolate “cookie” cake filled with cream cheese frosting using the cutest little sandwich cookie cake pan from Williams Sonoma.

Enjoy your day!

Christy
who is a complete INFP :)

Christy’s last blog post..Flea Markets…

hookedonhouses April 28, 2009 at 11:02 am

Thanks for all the sweet birthday wishes!

Jackie–yes, I work from my home office as a freelance writer and editor. Current project is a Criminal Justice textbook–and that’s what I’m running away from today. Ha. -Julia :-)

Amy April 28, 2009 at 11:15 am

Happy birthday Julia! You totally deserve a day off and I hope it’s fabulous.

Amy’s last blog post..Catch-Up or Bah-humbug

JanMary, N Ireland April 28, 2009 at 11:21 am

Happy Birthday from N Ireland.

An unknown fact about me – I never thought I would love home blogs as much as mum blogs – but it appears I do.

Another fact – I did not know what plinth lights were, or even looked like until I saw them on a blog, and now I have them in my new kitchen!

JanMary, N Ireland’s last blog post..Lessons Learned…everything but the kitchen sink!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home April 28, 2009 at 11:23 am

Julie Rae, love that! Happy Birthday to you! I, too, married young but mine did not workout. I remember my mother telling me to go to college and get a degree in case something happens to your husband. Yes, a southern girl from Mississippi. I went to college with my high school boyfriend and we married a year later. Though it did not work out, I have two beautiful children as a result.

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home’s last blog post..Everybody Loves This Salad

Amy @ Living Locurto April 28, 2009 at 11:26 am

Happy Birthday!! Love the photo of you on your bike!! ha! Have a wonderful day:-)

Amy @ Living Locurto’s last blog post..Printable Mother’s Day Card

Robin April 28, 2009 at 11:38 am

Happy Birthday! I’m also related to someone famous. Gene Hackman is my grandma’s cousin. I’ve never met him, but have pictures of him with my parents before I was born. I also got married young. I was 20, he was 24. We’ll be celebrating 19 years in July!

Robin’s last blog post..Puppy Update

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage April 28, 2009 at 11:40 am

Happy Brithday! I hope you enjoy every moment of your day. And, yes, it’s nice to hear a little more about you.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..Weekend Spruce Up – Tablescape

Love Where You Live April 28, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Happy birthday!!

Claudia@DipityRoad April 28, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Happiest of birthdays ! sounds like you will have a lovely day. Remember to really step away from the computer and enjoy. You write a lovely blog and obviously have a wonderful following.

May this year be blessed.

Claudia

Claudia@DipityRoad’s last blog post..Driving down the road

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger April 28, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!! Hope you have a beautiful day. : )

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger’s last blog post..Tool Talk Tuesday featuring Living With Lindsay!

LeAnn April 28, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Happy Birthday Julie Rae….have a wonderfully fun filled no worry about calories or housework kinda day!!!

Birthday Hugs,
LeAnn:)

LeAnn’s last blog post..A trip home and to Homegoods!!!

House Obsession April 28, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Oh my goodness! We have the same birthday!! Go you (and me)! Happy Birthday…I hope you’re having fun and relaxing on our day!

House Obsession’s last blog post..Spring flowers for a little garden update

stacey April 28, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I can’t remember how I found your lovely blog. I’ve been enjoying it for a few weeks now and thought today would be a good day to de-lurk! Happy Birthday! My middle name is also Rae. :)

stacey’s last blog post..Happy Birthday, Sis

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick April 28, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Happy Birthday!! Do something fun just for yourself!!

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick’s last blog post..The easiest, cheapest, custom drapes EVER.

Heathahlee April 28, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Happy Birthday, Julia! I hope you enjoy your day!

Heathahlee’s last blog post.."My cup overflows with blessings…"

Angie April 28, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Happy Birthday Julia!

I enjoyed learning a bit more about you.

I’m an ENFP. I love that personality typing stuff too.

Angie’s last blog post..It will be worth it in the end…

Kelly in Memphis April 28, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Happy Birthday Julia!

Blakely April 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Happy Birthday! My name is spelled Blakely, but in high school I decided to spell it Blake-Lee. I still have friends from high school who still write it that way.

Blakely’s last blog post..New Shelves

angela | the painted house April 28, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Happy birthday, Julia! There’s that cape picture again–love it!

Glad you are taking a day to celebrate.

Jack Lemmon–love him!

Me? I would love to own a brown cow someday. Moo!

angela | the painted house’s last blog post..You’ll Do WHAT to My Bottom?

Darla April 28, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Happy Birthday!!!! I love that list.

Me? I love General Hospital & Young and the Restless.

Darla’s last blog post..Sofa Tables

Shell April 28, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

Shell’s last blog post..My First Award

christy April 28, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! Lunch and a movie in the afternoon sounds absolutely lovely. Hmm something you don’t know about me. I used to teach writing courses too – I was a TA in grad school. I taught technical and scientific writing to undergrads at the University of Florida. I’m so impressed that you’ve published short stories! Care to share?

christy’s last blog post..In real life

Courtney @ nesting instincts April 28, 2009 at 5:32 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! what a perfect day you have lined up – you deserve every minute of it! have a fabulous time!!

Courtney @ nesting instincts’s last blog post..let’s keep this one on the down-low, shall we?

BJ Keltz April 28, 2009 at 6:45 pm

INFJs make up less than 1% of the population, and yet I recently found out Writer Dad is one, and so are you (as am I). What is it about blogs that draw the INFJs out of their inner worlds? Hehehe. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

TraceyB April 28, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Well, again I missed my good friends birthday. I’m really bad at remembering b-day’s. so sorry! I’m glad you took a day off, you deserve it. I hope you had a good one. Something you don’t know about me–I’ve always wanted to be a farmer, not kidding. live off the land and raise animals. Too bad for me Destin doesn’t have many farms for sale. HAPPY B-DAY!!

tricia April 28, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I had a HUGE crush on Jack Lemmon. Mr.Roberts was my favourite movie of all times : ) Oh…I’m only 40 btw- but I still thought he hung the moon!

Happy Birthday!!

tricia’s last blog post..Hello….again.

Aunt Toni April 28, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I see we are still hoping for that Jack Lemmon inheritance! I may not have told you, we are also supposedly related to Reba McIntire (by marriage).
I still celebrate the day you were born, you are the dearest niece anyone could have. Happy Birthday!!
Aunt Toni

Jenny April 28, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Happy Birthday! I love your blog!

Jenny’s last blog post..That’s Not My Princess

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Happy, Happy Birthday!

~Arleen

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home’s last blog post..Sophisticated Decorating with Pink and Green

Kellye April 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Read the recap of your day and I’m glad you had such a wonderful day shopping (oh, and a movie and lots of time with hubby). :)

I’m also one that loves personality typing. Like Angie, I test as an ENFP. Although, *I* think I’m an INFP since I become re-energized being alone and not around a lot of people. Have you heard about the Enneagram? It’s very interesting!

Misti England April 29, 2009 at 7:50 am

Sorry I’m late with birthday wishes Julia/Julie/HOH/Coolest blogger chic. LOL! Hope you enjoyed your day. It is great getting to know you! Not much more to know about me, other than I love music, any kind of music…right now, I wish I was married to Michael Buble so he could sit around and sing to me ALL DAY LONG.

~Misti

Misti England’s last blog post..Bigger IS Better!

Misti England April 29, 2009 at 7:52 am

Oh yeah–most of my family calls me Michelle or just Shell, the middle name, or I go by Red. My hair and my favorite color! And if I’m ever in trouble with my mother then I am MISTI MICHELLE. The whole name means big trouble. Can you believe it, I’m 38 and still get in “trouble”? Little ol’ me…

~Misti

Misti England’s last blog post..Bigger IS Better!

suzy April 29, 2009 at 10:03 am

Happy Birthday Julia! Hope you had a great day!

suzy’s last blog post..Contest Alert!!! Contest Alert!!!

Deanne April 29, 2009 at 10:46 am

Happy (belated) birthday!!!

I, too, was a young bride, and my husband still had 3 years of college to go. By the grace of God we will celebrate 13 years this summer! So, see, you can be young and stupid (as I like to call it) and still survive! :) Glad you have too!

Deanne’s last blog post..Top Ten Tuesday – Movie Review

Jamie @ BlondeMomBlog April 29, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Happy Belated Birthday wishes from Nashville! :)

Jamie @ BlondeMomBlog’s last blog post..Spring’s Firsts

rue April 29, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Happy Birthday Julia!!!! I’m sorry I’m a day late, but I hope your birthday wish comes true :)

(((hugs)))
rue

rue’s last blog post..An evening walk

marie April 30, 2009 at 5:33 am

julia! happy belated birthday! i can’t believe i haven’t been over here to your blog in so long! missed you!

ida May 2, 2009 at 1:04 am

ok i’ll bite i’ll tell you something about me. first of all happy birthday i love your blog. it puts me in a good frame of mind when needed and that is a blessing in itself.

1. i was active duty army for 7 years. went to europe and saudia/iraq 90/91
2. i am a single mother doing it on my own. most of my family has died the others have written me off. i have no spouse or boyfriend. i am just me. all my girlfriends from high school live 100 miles away so i have master the almost impossible. be a mom on my own.
3. God is my best friend.