What 5 Changes Would You Make to This Old House?

by hookedonhouses on January 14, 2009

When I come across an old house like this 100-year old white cottage in Missouri, I can’t help but see its potential. It might not seem like it at first, but look closely–there are some great bones here. A big front porch. A charming entry. Ten-foot ceilings. Original doors and woodwork. It just needs some love and attention! And since it’s on the market for only $125,000 (you read that right!), you could afford to put some money into it after closing.

So here’s your challenge. Take a look at the rooms in this house and then decide. If you bought this house tomorrow, what 5 things would you change first? Get as creative as you want with your answers!

But first, here’s the tour:

I’ve been redecorating this house in my head since I first saw the listing. How about you? If you could only make 5 changes, which ones do you think would make the biggest difference?

Thanks to Hooked on Houses reader Sabrina who sent this listing to me today. I really appreciate it when you guys think of me! All photos via HouseViewOnline.com, the leading realty website for Southeast Missouri. You can see more photos and get more information about this home here.

Shelley Davis January 14, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Hello,
You are so right! The bones are wonderful! I loved the house before I got to the front door. A few pots with red hydgrangias and some hanging pots. Then into the house for those 5 changes. Tear that carpeting up. Yes, yes, replace it with some hardwoods. Then get busy with molding! Around the doorways in the livingroom, dinning room etc.Think crown moldings. Yummy. Next the wallpaper….presto it’s gone along with those heavy draperies (especially above the door on the transome). Open that space up. Replace the livingroom windows with shutters half way up. Paint some lovely deep colors. Remove those cheap countertops and vanities in the bathrooms. Replace carpeting going up the stairs with nice wood floors and a runner going up the center with brass rod holders. Oh I could so go on and on. I will leave you with the thought of keeping the entry way a little less crowded and add a big mirror at the end of the hallway to mirror the lovely wood work at the side of the stairs. It has so much potential. This is a wonderful way to get ideas.
Have fun!
Shelley Knocky70@yahoo.com

sandra/tx January 14, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Well, now, if you’d really given us some time, I could even scrounge up some inspiration pic. In a pinch, I’d say the biggest bang for the buck would be in the kitchen and bath. White recessed-panel kitchen cabs, carerra marble countertops and white subway tile backsplash with stainless appliances and nickel faucet and bin pulls.

The bath is big enough for a dresser-turned vanity with carerra marble floors and countertop, as well as shiny nickel faucets. I tell ya who could turn this house into a dream — Brooke over at Velvet & Linen. Great house!

Emily@remodelingthislife January 14, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Get rid of the seafoam green carpet, take down all the wallpaper and paint, paint the kitchen cabinets white, make the bathroom shiny white with beaded board walls and ceiling, and dress up the front porch with some red flowers in pots and gardens.

It has great structure and potential! Really charming!

Emily@remodelingthislife’s last blog post..What is Frugality?

hookedonhouses January 14, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Great suggestions. And I agree–Brooke (Velvet & Linen blog) could make anything beautiful! :-)

Cali Girl January 14, 2009 at 9:58 pm

its darling and has great bones. the decor on the other hand is another story. the first thing go.. that green toilet! hehe… also, the kitchen needs a big make over! this house would be soooo fun to re-do and decorate!

Cali Girl’s last blog post..Random LETTERS all over!

Sabrina January 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said you’d use it soon! :) I’ve been redecorating it in my head constantly since I found it today, and I know for sure what I’d do with it.

1. Rip out all that carpeting and expose the hardwoods
2. Put in new appliances in the bathrooms (lime green and pink have got to go)
3. Get rid of all that hideous wallpaper and repaint in some beautiful neutral tones
4. Bring that kitchen back to its original charm (so it doesn’t look so 1980s)
5. Add some great furniture to that front porch and a couple of ceiling fans (and a big ol’ glass of iced tea) :)

Great post idea — I’m sure everyone can come up with a list of at least five things! If it weren’t in a different school district I might think about buying it.

Elizabeth January 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm

This is definitely a great house, and even though it is very outdated in decor, it looks clean and well-cared for. I hope someone can see past the 70s.
If money is not an object, I would:
1)Woodwork-strip and re-stain to it’s natural beauty. Replace missing woodwork on interior doorways.
2)Flooring – rip out carpets and repair/replace hardwoods in entire house.
3)Take down all wallpaper!
4)Gut the kitchen and make it craftsman-ish.
5)Re-do the bathrooms!!

Elizabeth’s last blog post..Lace Curtain Irish

Sue January 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm

First I would take a valium then head to Home Depot for a wallpaper stripper…
Then I would paint the porch ceiling a pale blue…..
I would rip up all the carpet because you know hardwoods have to be underneath.
I would go into that green bathroom, sit down and cry…..then I would have to gut it.
Ditto for that red bedroom

The house has nice big rooms, very misleading from the outside. A steal at that price, someone’s going to make that into a showhouse…..

Sue’s last blog post..A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT……..dry cleaning and you.

Elizabeth January 14, 2009 at 10:04 pm

1. Rip up the carpet. I bet there is hardwood beneath it being an older home, but if not I’d put wood floors in.
2. Rip the wallpaper off and paint.
3. Update countertops and cabinets in kitchen and bathroom.
4. Get new lighting.
5. Add some curb appeal with ferns and flowers.

Cute house

maya | springtree road January 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm

i’d certainly get rid of that wallpaper. does that count as one?

maya | springtree road’s last blog post..Looking up

hookedonhouses January 14, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Sue, you made me laugh out loud with your “First, I would take a valium.” A valium might help with a task like that in front of you! Ha.

And Maya, I’d say yes, getting rid of the wallpaper counts! :-)

Jan January 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm

1. Strip the wallpaper and paint
2. Replce the carpet with hardwood
3. Gut and redo both bathrooms
4. Replace the windows
5. Strip the woodwork and fireplace and stain them add trim where it is missing around doorways etc

karlene January 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Well, I am glad I got to the house after Shelley and Brooke have done their changes, because they were sooooo needed and much money to be invested there. It is a beautiful house and I can see the kitchen and bath renovations are beautiful. So my changes would be a new gorgeous wood door, and then I would love to put bead board under the ceiling on the porch and a hanging swing with beautiful ticking to match Shelley’s hydrangeas. I would then make the interior stairs wood with a beautiful carpet runner. I would also take care of replacing any of the flooring the girls’ haven’t already removed. And you have one gorgeous, authentic home you’ve picked! Thanks for letting us participate!

karlene’s last blog post..favorites

Courtney at Blogging Matilda January 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Hardwoods instead of carpets
Paint instead of wallpaper
Kitchen
Bath
Front curb appeal.
And I’d love every single second of it…..

Courtney at Blogging Matilda’s last blog post..Party Pooper

emily January 14, 2009 at 11:08 pm

This baby has a lot of potential! I dido the comments above.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut January 14, 2009 at 11:14 pm

oh man…I am having flashbacks to our current house. We just closed had keys in hand…walked in the door and I started ripping off wallpaper. By that afternoon the 1970’s red shag carpeting was all ripped out!!!

So…that being said
1. Tear up carpeting…be pleasently suprised at the shape of the wood floors

2. Tear down all wallpaper…well maybe leave the vintage looking flowers (could do something vintage/funky in that room.

3. Tear down uppers in kitchen…paint lowers, add shelves. New floor (wood)

4. Rip out vanities, replace with old furniture with vessel sinks (white other fixtures)

5. Replace the simple wall/door molding on the LR.

The house IS cute as a button!

Linda@Lime in the Coconut’s last blog post..…Feeling Bleu?

Jan January 14, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Ohhhhhhh, I love it!!! It really does have alot going for it…if you can look past all the AWFUL stuff.

1. Curb appeal ~ Paint the porch ceiling, furniture on the porch, new front door (not that old metal thing), a Gazebo (screened) in place of the lattice deck in the rear…and of course, an ENGLISH GARDEN!!!

2. Hardwood revealed, where the carpeting currently is…and Crown Moulding and Window Casings where there are none.

3. Wallpaper down, paint the walls and hang NEW wallpaper (floral).

4. BLOW UP the BATHS (and KITCHEN)!!!! An antique dresser, for the Vanity…Claw foot soaking tub, commode, steam shower in the baths…and slate floors.

5. A HEARTLAND BRAND kitchen!!! The 2nd from left under LEGEND at: http://www.heartlandapp.com/Owner_Gallery/ (These are the BEST appliances!! I sold them when I did Kitchen Design.)

And, and…the ideas are still coming…but here’s 5 of them. I guess it’s time to stop………….

Thanks for showing us this home.

Jan

Jan’s last blog post..Rose Wednesday

Cathleen January 14, 2009 at 11:32 pm

1. Big Beautiful Ferns hanging on the porch, with 4 Large white rattan armchairs.
2. Dark Wood Flooring/ Carpets Removed
3. Lots of Large White Moldings & Trim, Love to add wall moldings in dinning Room to match staircase / All Wallpaper removed
4. White Cabinetry in Kitchen with glass doors, Stainless Steel Appliances, Large White Farm Sink.
5. White Cabinets in Both Baths, with black and white checkered floors, Large White Footed Tub in Master.

Sorry, I know more than five, but a least I tried to make it look like I didn’t cheat!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Cathleen’s last blog post..New White House Designer

Diane@A Picture is worth.... January 14, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I really love this house…it does have lots of potential!

I would-
add hardwood floors
take down all the wallpaper
paint the white walls
landscape the outside with curving beds with shrubs and cottage flowers
install plantation shutters on all the interior windows

It’s fun to spend money when it’s not yours! LOL

diane

Diane@A Picture is worth….’s last blog post..A Low Cal Cake

Carla January 14, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Whoa!! Red!!!

1. Rip up the carpet.
2. Rip down the wallpaper.
3. Replace the vanities and hideous green toilet.
4. Get rid of the island in the kitchen. Replace with a big farmhouse table and paint the cabinets black.
5. Add some crown moulding.

Carla’s last blog post..She did it.

Connie January 15, 2009 at 12:38 am

Get rid of the wallpaper

get some crown molding for some of the rooms

The bathroom ==? Is that carrpeting around the toilet area? It would go….

Remove the office from the bedroom area

Then i would go sit on the lovely porch and put up some hanging plants — that was a fun renovation!!! I never did get to the kitchen.

Connie January 15, 2009 at 12:38 am

Get rid of the wallpaper

get some crown molding for some of the rooms

The bathroom ==? Is that carrpeting around the toilet area? It would go….

Remove the office from the bedroom area

Derek January 15, 2009 at 12:46 am

Can I make all five changes on the exterior?

1. Sand blast the masonry pilasters ( under the columns )
2. Taking ques from the masonry color. Paint the feild siding a warmer color, like a cheerful yellow. Paint the trim a less stark white.
3. Paint the front door in a Deep Red.
4. Re-shingle the roof in a shake shingle or a triple asphalt in a walnut color.
5. Add some landscaping at the foundation line. Needs to be softened with some shrubbery.

Wendy January 15, 2009 at 12:54 am

Wow, what a house…Rip up carpet have hardwood floor, take down wallpaper, remodel that huge bathroom, paint all those kitchen cabinets white, plant lots of roses.

Maya@Completely-Coastal January 15, 2009 at 2:47 am

This is such a cute house. Needs curb appeal and inside, well, kind of everything. Out with the carpets and down with the wall paper (or most of the wall paper -the green one is kind of fun) for a starter. I wish there were houses at that price here (to fix up and turn around).

Maya@Completely-Coastal’s last blog post..Decorating with Seashells

lynne January 15, 2009 at 2:53 am

You’re right… such potenential!
First of all I’d get rid of that awful wallpaper. Yes, all of it.
And then the carpets…hoping to find some beautiful wooden floors underneath. If not, I’d put them in.
Totally redo the big bathroom….its big enough for a victorian tub and maybe even a chandelier? And absolutely no carpet. In a bathroom? Yeuch!
The second bathroom needs work too… no more mismatched units and that big bulky vanity need to vanish.
Then the kitchen. that centre island must go, and the whole area needs to be opened up.

Oh dear, that’s five. I could go on!

lynne’s last blog post..all that stuff

Mom in High Heels January 15, 2009 at 3:06 am

I’d make way more than 5 changes. It is a fantastic house! Home prices in Missouri are crazy low (IMO). Even in STL, you could find amazing houses for not a whole lot of money.
This little house is precious. Except for the decor. That red bedroom makes me want run screaming the other way. I don’t know how anyone can sleep in there!

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..Adventures on the train or ICE, ICE baby

mishelle January 15, 2009 at 3:17 am

First paint the outside of the house Dark grey and all the trim white. Color the door either red or black. Curb appeal the porch. Inside take the wall down from entry to living room so it is one big room. Remove all carpet thru whole house and add hardwoods. Paint the kitchen cabinets White, add Black and white checkered floor and granite countertops, black. Master bathroom after removing carpet the tile could work if you add white toilet and sink. Cosmetic removing wallpaper and painting rooms. i could go on. But it is a cute house that has POTENTIAL.

mishelle’s last blog post..The Moving Chair..

Kathi January 15, 2009 at 6:21 am

Wow. What a pretty house! I love it! You’re right about the potential here! I would 1. Paint the house turquoise with white trim. 2. Put in a cottage garden with flowers along the sidewalk, a white picket fence with an arbor entry. 2. Rip out all of the carpet and refinish the hardwood floors. 3. Do nothing else in the living and dining room or entry. 4. Replace the front door with a period syle one. 5. Replace the kitchen countertops and put new lighting in the kitchen, remove the wallpaper. All this of course, if the wiring, plumbing, heat and a/c were in good shape. I spent a fortune on my old house just updating the basics before I could do any of the fun stuff!

Kathi January 15, 2009 at 6:32 am

Five things I love about this house! 1. The way it sits on such a big lot. 2. The front porch. 3. The wallpaper in the entry and the stained glass window. 4. The big original moldings.
5. The paint color in the living/dining rooms and all of the windows!

Blushing Hostess January 15, 2009 at 6:42 am

From the outside it is really charming and seems bigger than it appears in the interior shots. But oh… Kitchen, bathrooms need overhaul… carpet, wallpaper, need dragged out to the yard an lit on fire, and finally… it needs moulding and a lot of it in a huge hurry… Be well! The Hostess

Blushing Hostess’s last blog post..Inaugural Luncheon details

duchess January 15, 2009 at 7:24 am

Oh, this could be beautiful. I’d definitely be pulling up some carpet & off some wallpaper. Those bathrooms need some attention & the kitchen looks bad now but I think I could keep a pretty tight budget & use the magic of paint on those cabinets. How fun that would be to get a hold of it.
Thanks for giving my imagination some exercise this morning.

duchess’s last blog post..Playing catch up.

Christine January 15, 2009 at 8:10 am

I love old houses! I think first I would do something about that entrance way. It needs curb appeal! It’s too…white. Next I would definitely get rid of the carpet because I love hardwood floors and I know they are under there somewhere. Then it’s the walls. Lose the wallpaper, gain more color. Maybe add some crown molding. Fourth and fifth would be to redo the kitchen and baths. The last two can add so much more value to your home. Even though I know we would all love to have an olive green toilet…it really needs to go.

Christine’s last blog post..A Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood

Angela January 15, 2009 at 8:18 am

Depends on how much $$ I have to spend after closing, but 1) definitely rip up all carpets – there must be hardwoods beneath. 2) take down all wallpaper and paint the walls. 3) If I could afford it, a kitchen makeover – or at least paint the cabinets and get new countertops. 4) Redo baths. 5) Put up crown moldings and fancy up the porch…that might be six things….Anyhoo – GREAT post!!! This house has serious potential!!
~angela

Angela’s last blog post..Hooked on Fridays: 24

Jen R Sanctuary Arts January 15, 2009 at 9:06 am

1. Total kitchen redo (paint kitchen, cabinets and replace countertops)
2. rip out carpets
3.Rent a steamer and remove all of the hideous wall paper
4. kick the previous owners in the bum for decorating that way in the first place
5.New toilet……

Jen R Sanctuary Arts’s last blog post..boutique goodies

Monkey's Momma January 15, 2009 at 9:34 am

I live in Missouri and this looks like a lot houses in our area! Great bones, great prices! I would change the paint colors, the wallpaper, the carpet…and that is just for starters! I would not change anything at all about the porch!

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..We Interrupt This Blog For A Cold

bungalow_bliss January 15, 2009 at 9:35 am

Ooh, right up my alley!

1. Walls–remove all paper and heavy/frilly window treatments and add some warm color
2. Floors–rip up the carpet and make those hardwoods gleam!
3. Landscaping
4. Front Porch–Add some plants and either an old porch swing or some wicker furniture
5. Overhaul bathrooms and kitchen (can that count as one massive change??)

Wouldn’t this be a dream!

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..With a Little Help from My Friends

Nicole January 15, 2009 at 9:46 am

What a cute house! Great find. Here is what I would do:
1. Strip all of the wallpaper and paint like crazy
2. Pull up all of the carpet, and hope for pretty hardwood floors to refinish
3. Paint the kitchen cabinets, and add new hardware
4. Completely redo the bathroom, and add in a double sink
5. Add a white picket fence to the front yard, it would be too cute.

Nicole’s last blog post..It’s Wonky Day!

bungalow_bliss January 15, 2009 at 9:49 am

Okay, I just checked out the actual listing, and I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t add (at least) two items to my list:

1. Remove the knick-knack shelves from over the windows in the family room
2. Remove the rusted security door from the front door.

I can’t get over the size of this house–not only the number of rooms (even more that shown here) but the size of each room. I would never have guessed based on the outside of the house.

I picture a frail elderly woman who had only the best when she re-did her home 30-40 years ago (15 for the kitchen). At least it’s tidy!

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..With a Little Help from My Friends

montee January 15, 2009 at 10:07 am

Love this house. My 5 things would be:
1. New front door and landscaping.
2. Replace lighting inside.
3. Pull up carpet to expose original floors.
4. New cabinets and countertops throughout.
5. Paint inside and out.

I know, I kind of cheated on #1 and put 2 things.

Mike January 15, 2009 at 10:27 am

Oooo I LOVE this kind of post! Yay! Okay, so I’m assuming budget would be no object and by “5 things” you mean 5 things generally, not really specific things. So here goes:

1. Rip out every bit of that dated carpeting and clean up the wood floors that are no doubt underneath the carpet, given the vintage of the house.

2. Replace all wallpaper with paint. (Okay, technically maybe 2 things, but I’m calling it 1 because it’s all on the walls.) Although I kinda dig the wallpaper in the foyer and going up the stairs.

3. Update the bath fixtures – they desperately need new toilets, sinks, and bathtub enclosures.

4. Update the kitchen counter and appliances – I like the cabinets enough to leave them, with maybe some hardware upgrades. Silestone or Zodiac counters and stainless steel appliances would do wonders in that space. I could even live with the floor if I had to.

5. LANDSCAPE! Maybe some flower beds, some brickwork along the sidewalk, etc. Give this place a little more punch from the curb.

Liz January 15, 2009 at 10:53 am

Grandma, what bad taste you have!

I think taking the furniture and wall hangings out would make the quickest, cheapest improvement. Beyond that, new flooring, several cans of paint (inside and outside), landscaping, and new bathrooms would probably do the trick.

I’m surprised by how big this thing looks on the inside, by the way!

Sue January 15, 2009 at 11:11 am

I love this house…wow. Just the sort of old cottage I wanted when we began househunting and ran out of time! : ) Seriously wonderful porch. Love that.
Wallpaper down, carpet and vinyl flooring out. Wood in. Moulding in where there is none. I would paint it outside as well as I LOVE color. : ) Hmmm…wall paper would be great in some areas though…
New bath fixtures, new counters and some new lighting. At 125,000 I could afford to do this and wouldn’t that be fun! LOVE the front entry and the stairs.
Maybe some sweet fencing, more English style gardens…
Great house Julia!

Love,
Sue

Sue’s last blog post..A Dorkusfeminitis Crumudgeon

RehabOrDie January 15, 2009 at 11:24 am

OK, 5 changes that would make the biggest difference (I’m playing fair, and not bundling changes).

#1 New Carpet, especially that red carpet. Has to go.
#2 Better lighting for the kitchen, no fluorescent, more indirect.
#3 Get RID OF THE WALL PAPER and paint in some interesting colors. Except maybe that green in the entry.
#4 New vanity in the bath
#5 A white picket fence (I know, not interior, but for curb appeal? Can’t be beat).

There’s a TON more that can and should be done, but reality is, we have to start somewhere and most of us have a limited budget, so this is a good exercise.

RehabOrDie’s last blog post..Update

Christy January 15, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Oh My…what fun it is to see this dated decor! If I were lucky enough to have a project such as redecorating this little home the first five changes I would make are:

1) Beadboard/Moulding
2) Hardwood Floors
3) Paint
4) Replace all cabinetry that is not original to the home
5) Landscape

I would be tempted to leave some of that wallpaper in the foyer or at least create a small framed collage with samples of all of the wallpapers in the home! Too bad they dont make houses like that in my neck of the woods.

PS…Thanks for this blog! I just found it and have enjoyed it very much!

Angie January 15, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Oh this house has great potential – it is charming. I’m going to concentrate my five changes on the outside:

1. Pull out the old plantings and trees that are sparsely around the foundation and plant with a wonderful mix of big full bloomed plants and shurbs – maybe a lilac or hydrangea to anchor one of the corners.

2. Replace the concrete sidewalk with a brick path.

3. Replace the concrete block porch with spindles and rails. Add lots of hanging and standing pots of bright flowers with trailing vinca and vines.

4. Place the door with a french door – transom and sidelights and window with big french panes

5. Paint. Maybe a nice soft butter yellow with white trim??? Not quite sure on the color yet.

I can see it all in my mind – oh and one last thing – even though I know it makes 6 items – glass doorknobs on all the interior doors – of course!

Angie’s last blog post..I’ve been put on notice…

RehabOrDie January 15, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I’m going to amend my “new carpet” and say, return to the wood floors. If you DIY, that’s a thousand MAX for the whole house (where possible) and it could be incredible (it was for us).

Note, I’d say redo the entire kitchen but that’s really three or four parts. New lighting, new plumbing (perhaps), new cabinets and counters, and new appliances.

I went with lighting because, for me, I’d be more annoyed by the that than anything else in there.

Mark

RehabOrDie’s last blog post..Update

RehabOrDie January 15, 2009 at 1:12 pm

BTW, Sue, et al. If that appeals to you, take a peek at house 226. I think one could get that for as little as $10k and could have it fixed up ELEGANLY for $100k, less a $6k grant and up to $25k in 0%-5% city loan money.

Think of all the stuff you to give to Julia!

Mark

RehabOrDie’s last blog post..Update

H January 15, 2009 at 2:37 pm

$125,000 is WAY overpriced for this area. I’d offer no more than $80,000.

chrissie January 15, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Does anyone feel slightly uncomfortable saying what they would change when someone somewhere once upon a time loved their decor and kitchen and bathroom and thought this home the bees knees ?
I think it is hideous but then I have no sensibilities !

Rhoda January 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

What a cute house! For sure, taking down the wallpaper, adding some molding around the door frames. Ripping up carpet & hopefully exposing some gorgeous wood floors below. Just getting rid of the wallpaper would be a major plus! And paint.

Rhoda’s last blog post..Shopping with Eddie

Ramona January 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Hey there Julia!

O~kee~doe~kee…I thought that I would add my two cents about the porch….here is what I would do…and notice, not a paint brush in sight:
1 ~ Hang a great porch swing…weeeee…and that swing must be festooned with loads of floral pillows and some with cow spots
2 ~ Add enough rocking chairs for the fam and a few friends that will stop by
3 ~ On either side of the door…place potted laurel wood privets
4 ~ Drape some cool looking quilts over the brick railing
5 ~ Here and there place some small tables to hold baby pots of lavender and glasses of lemonade or for card playing
and bonus…
6 ~ From the ceiling hang some iron chandeliers
and another bonus…
7 ~ Place a cat or dog on that porch

I love this house!

Ramona

Ramona’s last blog post..Useful Vignettes

angela | the painted house January 15, 2009 at 8:53 pm

1. Ask myself why I have moved yet again for the third time in four years.
2. Console myself with the fact that I have a great fixer-upper and start by kindly asking Hubby to rip up the carpet while I sip a mint julep on the front porch and think about what the third change will be.
3. Gut the kitchen and prepare myself for the challenge of finding vegan take-out in Nowheresville, Missouri for the next two months.
4. Sit on that freakin’ awesome green toilet with the latest issue of Domino and contemplate whether I really want to get rid of that vertigo-inducing-yet-totally-cool red wallpaper in the bedroom. Flush!
5. Darn carrot juice! Rip up carpet in bathroom after the toilet overflows.

Sorry you asked? :)

angela | the painted house’s last blog post..Back to Texas

Darla - Sassy Homemaker January 15, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Rip up carpeting to put in hardwood if it’s not underneath.
Put in pillars in the large squares hole to soften it.
Oh that fireplace – ummmm not sure what to do with it but SOMEthing for sure.
Pink bathroom – ick, remodel.
Paint cupboards in kitchen & remove wallpaper.

WHEW!

Cute house – lots of potential – GREAT PRICE! Holy cow.

Darla – Sassy Homemaker’s last blog post..Raw Egg Facial Mask

Linda@ Restyled Home January 15, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I love this little house (or at least it appears little). I especially love the trim work and detailing around and under the stair area. The kitchen? Not so much…

$125,000? That is a serious bargain!
Where do you find these gems, Julia?

Linda@ Restyled Home’s last blog post..What Oprah, Martha and I have in common…

Kathy :) January 15, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I just came by to say hello, watching Grey’s, Oh Julia what a cute house and such a bargin huh ???

I could do so much with this place…I love the front porch !!!

Will come back and give it some more thought, have a nice night…

Kathy :)

Tim @ Forever Wherever January 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm

FIVE THINGS!?!? Only five? Can I “combine” things?
Like maybe “replace old aluminum soffit with bead board cypress, replace roof and use white eave drip, paint the split face blocks on the front (which are way cool and authentic) in one color while painting the prefectly restored siding in another, and put in some nice new windows” could be one thing, titled ‘Spruce up the exterior’?
And then I could have four more “categories”.
“Ceilings” would include crown molding in most places, some creative use of soffits in others to get rid of the sloped sections of ceiling, removal of the soffits in the kitchen to make that seem more spacious and maybe get more storage…or would that be under “Kitchen”?
If it’s not obvious by now, I’m a remodeling contractor…so the list might never end!
I totally LOVE the house though. It has great character! Thanks for making me think!

Tim @ Forever Wherever’s last blog post..Stuck on Spray Paint!

PamperingBeki January 16, 2009 at 1:27 pm

What a fun post!

My husband and I flip houses and just started a new one, so these ideas are fun to see.

Our’s is in much worse shape than the one you’ve shown, though.

I’m hoping to get “before” pictures up in the next day or so.

I’d love opinions!

PamperingBeki’s last blog post..Fingerprint Friday

Natalie January 17, 2009 at 1:18 pm

1.Wood Floors

2.Remove Wallpaper then Paint…lots and lots of paint…

3.New counter tops through out

4.New appliances

5.New lighting that looks old

And that would be enough to make me live there very happily…green toilet and all :)

-Nat

Natalie’s last blog post..Southern Belles – Brooksville, FL

Ke January 17, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Great house! I’m doing my list before reading everyone else’s comments so that I won’t be unduly influenced. ;)

1. Rip up all that carpet & hopefully it has hardwood floors underneath to sand.
2. Rip off all the wallpaper & paint or upgrade wallpaper.
3. Replace that god-awful green toilet.
4. Completely re-do the kitchen.
5. Add shutters to the front windows and paint a contrasting color, along with the front door.

katie lake January 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Tisk tisk letting such a wonderful house go to waste…

1. hardwood floors throughout
2. update the kitchen – flourescent lights are for commercial properties
3. gut and completely redo that bathrooms
4. remove ALL wallpaper, paint the walls then through some crown molding on for good measure
5. porch swing and rocking chairs – what good is a porch if you have no where to sit?!

katie lake’s last blog post..My Weekend

laurel sauls January 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

1. Remove ALL carpet. Refinish heart pine floors that are hopefully beneath :)
2. Remove ALL wallpaper.
3. Add color to the exterior…paint front door, add shutters.
4. Take down those huge, heavy, ugly drapes and let the sun in!!
5. Paint kitchen cabinets, replace pulls

laurel sauls’s last blog post..

christy January 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Oh my goodness! What a fun post – I hope you do more like this one. I would recarpet (1) redo the bathrooms top to bottom (2) remove wallpaper and repaint (3) redo kitchen (4) and knock down walls around living room…(5). Probably counts as too many – but I would love to totally remodel it. Love the front porch!

christy’s last blog post..Our fabu guest bathroom

Misti @ Studio M Designs January 28, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I would love to see the front wall of the porch removed so that you can actually see this great house. Then add a great red door. Everyone else covered the rest. I know knocking down the wall would probably not be in keeping with being so old, but really, the porch would be even better if you could see it!
~Misti

Misti @ Studio M Designs’s last blog post..A Peek into the Master Bath

Kathy @ A Little Pinch of This and That February 16, 2009 at 9:19 am

What fun to dream!
1. Remove carpet & add/refinish hardwood floors.
2. Remove wallpaper in kitchen. (Keep other papered walls…they keep it dated to its era!)
3. Crown molding
4. Change kitchen to date it back to early 1900s: remove ceiling fan, new light fixture, apron sink.
5. Draw the eye to the porch with paint and flower pots. Add a swing!
Thanks for this opportunity!!!

Susan February 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I think that I would want to track down the people who carpeted, wallpapered and painted it within an inch of it’s little life and beat them senseless, oh wait, they are already senseless as they carpeted and took down that woodwork that was probably there.

I agree with most of the other folks…remove the carpeting, restore the kitchen and baths to true to the ear, ceiling fans as a/c didn’t exist and you had to move the air somehow.

shahbeen February 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm

well….the place has alotta potential….but is currently horrendous…..
changes:
1. remove all colour and give pastels.
2. give mostly wooden flooring.
3. give warm yet bright accent colours.
4. change the furniture and re place with simpler ones.
5. do something about the lighting and rugs…:)

Bella Casa February 24, 2009 at 8:43 pm

lol, I thought it was a bargain until I started seeing all of that wallpaper ;) But that’s because my dh and I are DONE with buying homes that have wallpaper to tear down.

But wow, what a great house with really good room sizes for $125,000! And if someone is a first time home buyer and buy it by Dec 31, they will get an $8,000 tax credit! And…the State of Missouri also has a program to loan them the down payment and then they pay it back with the tax credit – so this home should be sold soon!!!

1. Rip all of the wallpaper down
2. Rip out that red carpet in the bedroom
3. Landscape, landscape, landscape
4. New window treatments throughout
5. Maybe a picket fence? I’ve always wanted one!

Great post Julia!!!

Bella Casa’s last blog post..Giveaway: Cute! Honey Kix Prize Package from General Mills – Three Winners!

ida February 26, 2009 at 3:01 am

ahhh,,,,,,what a mess this house is. on the outside there is no color what-so-ever. except for the grass…..hummm then you go inside and its a tease at first the blah humm drum colors then you hit the master bedroom and they totally messed up with the sexyness of red in it……totally screwed up the color or lack of color………..so i say
1. tear down wallpaper and paint. paint. paint. even the outside. PAINT
2. take out all nasty old looking carpets. laminate
3. bring sexy back to the bedroom BLACK CARPET…..RED drapes and mirrors. oh yes, mirrors heck make a wall of mirrors.

Patsi Kuther April 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I think the wall paper is getting a bad rap……….have you seen the lastest mag. trends?
Love the white exterior!!!!
1.New farmers kitchen…white subway tile/carraramarble beadboard.
2.Clean fresh new bath.
3.wood floors maybe painted in some rooms.
4.Leave some of the large print wall paper, as a color pop, with light more modern furniture.Its the granny furniture that is bad.
5.Moldings around the interior openings, in the livingromm.

Lisa in Australia April 10, 2009 at 2:00 am

Loved the outside.
1. Repaint the white walls – looks so austere and boring
2. New cupboard doors – or if I was on a budget, just paint over the 70’s brown timber
3. Get rid of all the fussy knicknacks… even thought would do a lot to fix up the yellow and red bedroom (man, is that red carpet bright!!)

On the up side, the rooms are very big, bright and would come up a treat with new wallpaper or paint…. change the furnishings and voila… a fabulous house “on the cheap”

A.J. Williams July 20, 2009 at 10:49 am

I would redo the bedrooms, the bathrooms, remove wallpaper, and carpet. The kitchen must be redone and open up to expand into the great dining room

barbiefish August 9, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Sorry to be so late to the party, but can’t let this go uncommented on. Lots of good ideas here and just about everything has been covered. If I were fixing it just to sell — assuming that most potential buyers would be revolted by the wallpaper, colors, kitchen, baths, etc., I’d focus on getting people in the house and allow them to see the possibilities. So —
1. Put period-appropriate moldings around the two large openings between the public rooms. The lack of trim here is the most egregious thing in the whole house to me; glad to see a few people mentioned it. If the fix-up-to-sell budget allowed, also add vintage or period appropriate French doors in these openings — the house probably originally had them.
2. If additional landscaping is out of the question financially, at least lose the ugly shrub (possibly a lilac?) that is popping up above the porch wall and detracting greatly from the curb appeal. (this hardly rates an entry though; a sturdy pair of loppers could make short work of removing that bush.)
3. Replace the front door or at least remove the hideous storm door. If the original front door is behind it, leave it alone but paint it something more arresting than white (no pastels though).
4. Eliminate all extraneous window treatments, e.g. sheers over front door transom, swags over living and dining room windows, etc. Open remaining curtains all of the way. (Personally I’d trash ALL of the window treatments but the new owners probably would want them for privacy while they steam off the wallpaper).
5. Take up all of the carpeting. You know there’s hardwood under there. The house shows that it’s been cared for so the odds are that the original floors are in reasonably good shape. Fix any major damage found, but otherwise leave it to new owners to refinish. Alternatively, just do this in one room to show what the floors look like; leaving carpet elsewhere is good to protect floors from all of the other remodeling that will go on.

Nathan September 8, 2009 at 2:19 am

1. I think the stonework on the outside porch area needs to be a different colour than the rest of the house. The trees right in front of the house need to come down and something else put in.
2. Carpet needs to be replaced with wood flooring.
3. Cabinetry in the kitchen needs to be updated. Really, the whole kitchen needs it.
4. Walls updated. Crazy wallpaper taken down, white walls painted something else.
5. I can’t decide if I would take away those gaudy decorations (“vase”, lamps, etc), make the fireplace/mantle more dramatic or paint the inner parts of the squares on the stairwell a more dramatic and contrasting colour.
Ps. That master bath is huge. The previous owners really loved green…