Hooked on Holiday House Tours: Let the Party Begin!

Welcome to the “Hooked on Holiday House Tours” blog party! I’m so glad you came. First of all, help yourself to one of these Chocolate Candy-Cane Cupcakes. We baked them today and they’re pretty yummy! I figure you could use a little sugar before starting the tour (recipe on the Baker’s website if you want to make them for yourself!).

Last week I took you on tours of homes featured in Christmas movies like “Home Alone” and “The Holiday” (click here if you missed them). Today I thought I’d give you a peek inside mine.

This is the first year in a very long time that I haven’t hosted Christmas for my extended family at our house, and I hardly know what to do with myself. I don’t have nearly as much cooking and baking to do as usual. And I scaled way back on the decorating in general since we’ll be traveling over the holidays. But I still had to put out some of my favorite things. Otherwise it just wouldn’t feel like Christmas!

I love my mercury-glass trees. I put them in my dining room, which is otherwise pretty bare as we finish the room’s remodel:

I just bought this cute Santa cookie jar to give as a gift–but he’s been sitting in my kitchen all week, and now I’m not sure I’ll be able to let him go. I might have to go back to Target and buy another one!

I love a simple centerpiece when I don’t have much time to decorate, and these silver ornaments fit the bill (oops! I still had Christmas storage boxes sitting out in the background–just ignore those):

I hung a couple of wreaths on the french doors leading to the backyard. I used red ribbon to string them up and tacked them to the top of the door frames with white thumbtacks. Easy! Here I am looking through our family Christmas album with one of my favorite people–my aunt Toni.

Lily made some garland by cutting shapes out of old Christmas cards and red and green construction paper and stringing it up on the mantel. She tells me that there will be “garland ALL OVER the house” by Christmas, and this is only the beginning. (If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, then you know how much my 6-year old loves to decorate.)

We do red, white, and silver for Christmas in our house. This year I let the kids decorate the tree, and they did a great job, didn’t they? I forgot to give them the garland, but I decided it looked good enough without it. I’m keeping things simple this year!

On Saturday, I stole borrowed an idea from my creative friend Amy (the one who made this pretty party button for us!). On her blog Living Locurto, she mentioned that she likes to have “Family Christmas parties” with her kids. I decided to try it.

I asked the kids what they wanted to do Saturday at our little party, and here’s what they said: play games, put puzzles together, bake cupcakes and cookies, make more garland, watch “The Santa Clause,” and play Christmas carols. We didn’t fit everything into our day, but it was a lot of fun trying!

To prepare for our party, the kids formed a “family band,” and all week they worked with their dad on some Christmas carols. My husband Dave played piano. Jake was on keyboards. Lily banged on the drums. On Saturday night they performed for their grandparents, and they were a bit hit!

I told them we should get a bus and travel the country. I have no musical talent to contribute, so I’ll drive.

I finally got our Christmas-card photo taken for the year. There was lots of goofing around:

But I finally got the shot:

Okay, now that you’ve seen what a simple family Christmas looks like at my house and have eaten more than your share of cupcakes (a little greedy, weren’t you?), I’m excited to visit your blogs and see what you have to show us today.

Lime in the Coconut: Florida Christmas

Living Locurto: Gingerbread Houses

Lookiloos: Gorgeous Saratoga French Chateau

Southern Hospitality

Springtree Road: Drive-by in a Small Southern Town

Nesting Place

Chatting at the Sky

Ramblings of a Renovating Couple

Cottage Industries: An 11-Foot Tree!

Cottage Magpie

Cornbread Beans & Quilting

Jan’s Gems

How Sweet the Sound

JenX67

Ame’s Snapshots

Somerset Cottage

The Organizing Blog: We’re Allowed to Be Snoopy!

1. Ladybug & Honeybear
47. ~Phillips Phamily Phive~
48. Ruth Lee @McLain Moments
49. Angela (Cottage Magpie) – Tour Part 2
50. Stephanie
51. Paula – Buckets of Grandparent Christmas Fun
52. The Charm House Christmas Tour
53. Frugal Carol – The other tree…..
54. Adventures in Osbornland
87. Jerri @ Simply Sweet Home
88. The Deco Detective
89. Linda from ::Surroundings::
90. Debbie @ Jadehollow
91. Michele
92. Kiersten at The Pretty Neat Company

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Feeling overwhelmed? Then start here:

20 Highlights From This Holiday House Tour

Several of my friends are hosting parties this week, too, so be sure to pay them a visit when you’re done here!

Southern Hospitality

Thrifty Decor Chick

Boo Mama

A Soft Place to Land Open House

We are THAT Family (show your Christmas tree)

A Cottage Magpie (cookie exchange)

On Monday, I'm hosting a "Hooked on Holiday House Tours" blog party. And guess what--I'll be handing out prizes! If you have a blog and…
At Design Editor's blog, we were reminded that you can't have a party too big!
What a fun party this has been! I thought it would take me two days to visit everyone, but it turned into three. I didn't…

Comments

I guess I am a little eager tonight! Ha! You temptress, you, with those cupcakes–seriously, yum.

I love the idea of a family Christmas party. Amy is so smart. I will have to remember that for next year.

You have good looking kids, Julia. I would say “beautiful” but I don’t think Jake would appreciate that!

Have fun!

Thanks for hosting the Holiday House Tours. Christmas card photo sessions can be NOT FUN- glad to see your kids are good sports and very photogenic to boot! Love the picture you chose.

Hi Julia. Thank you so much for hosting this Holiday Home Tour. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone else’s home and am so looking forward to having everyone visit mine! ~Arleen

I just love the look of mercury glass at Christmas time, well anytime really!!!! The wreaths on your French Doors add that perfect touch too!!!!

I’ll be on the look out for some great Christmas decorations to post on my blog for your House Tours.

just lovely ….. I love the mercury trees – can you explain them a bit more – are they really made of highly toxic mercury …. hmmmm thanks for setting this up – cheers le

What a great pic of the kids! You’ll definitely have to frame that one. I love your mercury glass trees as well. Are they vintage? Have a great holiday!

The picture of the children is simply beautiful….but something tells me that they aren’t always that lovely dovey with each other….But you really took a great shot.

8. hookedonhouses says

Le, the mercury glass is not made of real mercury–it’s just glass that has silver paint on the inside, I believe (if there are mercury glass experts out there, feel free to correct me). Marie Louise, they are vintage Target! I bought them there last week on sale, and I love them!

Sue, you’re right, my kids aren’t always that lovey dovey! I just don’t take many photos of them fighting. 😉

Some great tours so far. Thanks for playing along, everyone! -Julia

What a beautiful home! And I just love all your mercury glass ornaments! Your children are darling… don’t you just love when they decorate at the holidays! It makes celebrating that much more special! =) Thank you for visiting my blog party!

I’m really tired and shouldn’t be trying to party like this when I’m such a ditz. Can you delete my first post that I messed up please? (The first one with the 7x underwear.)

THANKS, Kelly p.s. Also disregard the other comment at the wrong post……..told you I was tired…

Well here’s our tour. Thanks for hosting Julia. I look forward to each and every one. I love holiday tours they are my favorite! Desiree

ps. Your Christmas card photo was great!

Julia, it’s all beautiful!! The picture of your kids is perfect. I LOVE the one of them facing each other too. We took our pic tonight and with a 2-year-old, it seriously took about ten minutes. Still not thrilled with it, but it’s us at the moment, you know? OK, I just linked to my site, because it’s Christmas 24-7 over there right now, so just let me know if you want me to link to a specific post. Whatever you want is fine with me!

13. Kristin says

I love your blog, especially the celebrity homes and movie sets! My absolute favorite holiday movie is The Family Stone. I remeber loving their big cozy family home and of course I cry my eyes out every time I watch the ending. Thanks for hosting. I think your french doors are to die for :)

Your home looks beautiful! I especially love the photo of your kids that you took. They are adorable! You’re a lucky mum!

Have a great week, Julia,
    Linda

Hi J!

Loved seeing a photo of you and your children! Ok, I had no idea that so many peeps were doing tours!!! How fun is that! Rhoda, TDC, THAT… busy, busy!

Fixed my post, sorry about the earlier link! I didn’t realize the post didn’t post on my blog the first time!

Anyway, just wanted to say I LOVE the mercury glass trees. They are absolutely gorgeous. And the garland made from the leftover cards is so cute, we’ll do that next year! I love a few homemade things around.

Thanks for hosting!

Oooh, thanks for the mention! And thanks for doing these awesome, amazing tours! They’re such great fun. I can’t wait to visit everyone. And I included one of my decorating posts, too.
    Happy Holidays!
    ~Angela :-)

Your tree is beautiful. The kids did a great job..and how cute are they!! Thanks for the cupcake recipe, I may have to make those for the Church drop in friday. Off to look at all the Chrismas Decorations.
    Lisa

I say keep the cookie jar!!! The kids photos are adorable…like the idea of sending people to the blog instead of mailing 100 Christmas cards. I may have to try it!

Thanks for hosting the tour, I love it. this is the first time I have done these.
    Merry Christmas!

We are so excited about the hme tour!!! SO many beautiful homes and decorations!! thanks for the recipe!
    We are also excited about a giveaway for women and more we are hosting this week!!
    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

Thanks for hosting a fun tour! I love how you involved your children in the decorating. Their picture is so sweet! Merry Christmas!

I love the ornaments in a bowl! What a simple way to pull things together and be all festive and whatnot. LOVE it.

Thanks so much for hostessing this Holiday Homes tour! I can’t wait to visit everyone! I just did my holiday home post & will link back to your party!!

Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

Thanks for hosting this Holiday Home Tour, Julia–it is so much fun touring through everyone’s home–and no aching feet when you’re done!! 😉

Oh, I wish I had time to go see all the entries. I’ll try and add a post later today.

I looked at many of the entries and I LOVE Kari AND Kjisa’s home tour…And The Southern Family also, can I vote for two? I will try to get some of my photos later today, once it is light out:) Thanks for a fabulous time!

Oh my goodness… Those cupcakes look and sound delicious. I must try them. Love the final Christmas card shot, and thanks for having us all over.

I absolutely love the professional-commercial-country-living-magazine feel of your blog, and then BOOM! A precious picture of your or your kids spliced in. It makes your blog so unique. I also appreciat this home tour since it’s freezing, the tickets for such tours in my hometown are overpriced! ha! and I just generally don’t get out much with two pre-schoolers. Thanks!

Thank you so much for hosting such a wonderful Holiday House Tour! I enjoyed your home very much! Looking forward to coming back here often. Nancy

Thanks for hosting the home tour! I love all your decor and the photos of the kiddos.
    Pam

Holy cow, Julia, this may be your biggest house tour yet! LOL I love seeing your red and silver decorating. I haven’t managed to get any mercury glass yet, but you’re definitely inspiring me to get shopping.

I loved the pics of you and your kids. Naw, I don’t think you have to send out the Christmas letter. Save the postage.

Thanks for hosting the holiday open house tour, and thanks for letting Canyon Wren Cottage be a part of it. Have a great day!

Your home is incredible. Everything looks glorious and festive. And, your Christmas picture is perfect.

Thank you for sharing, and many thanks for sponsoring this terrific blogging event.

I’m here with bells on!! (LOL, my mom always says that!)
    Let the parties BEGIN!!

Your home is just BEAUTIFUL Julia! and your kiddos are just adorable!!

Merry Christmas!

~Tidymom

Mine’s a very mini tour, the house looks like a bombsite at the moment, so I’ve only included the pretty bits :) I’m off to check out all the other wonderful homes now :)

Hey There, Julia..
    Thought Id come ova and see what you were up to..and..a party without me??? So, I hurried up and put some lipstick on and tried to find some heels, grabbed a big glass of wine and knocked on the door. I hope you dont mind!!!! Im going to sit down and check out all the other decorator bloggers RIGHT NOW!!
    kids have no school, snow day, so Ill be here for a while.
    your house is ADORABLE!! who would have expected anything less?
    thanks for letting me join in..
    Lisa
    coastal nest

Your house looks so pretty! And the photo of your kids is so sweet. :0) I wish I had had time to get something together, but I know I’ll have tons of fun enjoying all the links!

Oh wow! What a response today, Julia. Congratulations! I’m overwhelmed with so many great ideas to check out. How wonderful! Thank you, too, for the glimpse into your Christmas decorating.
    Katie

Your kids are adorable! Do they really get along that well? My 11 yr old son enjoys picking on his 6 yr old sister.
    Love the decorations, too.

Beautiful decorations! I have a tour at my house as well and of course, I linked back to you. I don’t know if that garners me one or two entries but you be the judge! Happy Holidays.

You have lovely decorations, but I think I like those two lives ones the best! Thanks for hosting this tour!

Wahoo, a contest! I put the link from my blog and are posting your link on mine. I have before and after pictures, too!

Julia…thank you so much for hosting this open house. I know I’ll have hours and hours of eye candy to look at. You are an inspiration to so many and I thank you for that. Your children are beautiful as is your home!
    Lamp Tramp

Julia- I’m soooo late to this party!! I just got back from my first speaking engagement and was tuned out to blogging yesterday to prepare. The first place I came today was to your party to see all the fun. Look at all the links…. it’s going to take forever to go through them all. I’ll have to get some strong coffee tonight:-) I LOVE that you stole my party idea for your family. That’s awesome:-) The garland you made is fab! Your kids are so adorable… I get to see what I’ll be doing 4-5 years from now with my kids. (I think we’re about that far behind your in age?)

Okay, look for my post sometime later today. I’ve got a fun idea, just need to get to working on it. Have fun at your party!!! I’ll be back to party more later:-)

Love your simplicity and sitting down with your Aunt looking a pictures is priceless. Times like these are my favorite! Connie

What a fun contest! And what a beautiful home you have (and attractive kids!)
    I love a good house tour!

Thanks so much for hosting this Christmas Tour. It was so much fun! I have a lot of homes to tour…between yours and BooMama’s. :)

I put your cute Christma Tour logo on my blog and encouraged folks to come visit!

Merry Christmas!

I have just found your blog for the first time–thank you for hosting a tour of homes! Your home is beautiful! I really love your mercury glass trees–very elegant!

What a sweet picture of your children!
    Thanks for sharing you beautiful home with us!

blessings
    mary

Ps I would tweet if i was a bird and I am always stumbing but I don’t think the kind you are talking about!!!

Had every intention of taking a picture of the kids at Thanksgiving when they were home for the Christmas cards and totally forgot. Maybe I will send Happy New Year’s Cards instead! If Keith Partridge is on that bus, I am SO there! LOL (I am dating myself)! Thanks so much for hosting.

Darn that Mr. Linky! We are all hosed right now with no links to be found, I sure hope he comes back to life soon. What a bummer for all of us.

Julia, my dear, you have nothing to be ashamed of with any of your Christmas decor! It’s so pretty & I just love your tree, the mercury glass, simple silver in the bowl & of course, your adorable kids. Thanks again for giving me a shout out. Next year, I’m planning in advance with a blog button and everything!! I just need to figure out how to make those cute blog buttons for all occasions.

Those are great cupcakes..anything with peppermint is a keeper in my book!!! There is so much going on today in “blogLand”..I did Boomama’s tour! Love your decor!
    -sandy toes

Your home looks so beautiful and festive. I absolutely loved the idea of your Christmas party and the wonderful family pictures.
    Thanks for the fun party! When Mr Linky is working I will come back and re-link correctly:)

beth`?

Wow Julia, your tour is so popular you crashed Mister Linky, lol 😉 Thanks for being a gracious host yet again. I love these tours… I gather so many ideas and find some great new blog reads too!

Love your decorations, especially the mercury glass. And the pics of your kids is too sweet. Happy Holidays!!

Jennifer

Your home is wonderful. Thank you for the cupcakes. Your photo of your children is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your home tour!
    Merry Christmas,
    LuLi

Phew, all that scrolling made me forget why I was here…..oh, yes, Christmas. Your decorations are so pretty and the kids photo is very nice! What a gracious hostess you are.

Off to try and link up here too. Merry CHRISTmas.

Darn!!!! I was at 49! Oh well! Guess I’ll have to recheck every home again. lol Such torture! 😉 This time I’ll have a note pad and pen for notes! lol

I of course forgot to mention how much I love your Christmas card photo and how I adore the simplicity of your decorations. It all looks fabulous. And I am drooling over your toile chair (oh and the cupckaes too!)

Your home is so inviting. I love your holiday decor – very cozy. What a great party. I’ll add your blog to by blogroll. It’s been nice to visit you today.
    Alisa

Hey! I’ve had such a good time on your Home Tour! I posted a link to it on my blog when I put up my post for Boo Mama’s Christmas Tour of Homes! Love your site, by the way!

I’m back. Please add my name to your Robyn list. I posted my family room today – My Family Room with Homespun Holiday Cheer. Thanks – Robyn

Such fun…
    Thanks for hosting this.
    And the recipe for the cupcakes looks great. I may have to try it before the season is over.
    Sweet Blessings,
    DeeDee

Please visit my nest for my Christmas home tour…I have spread the word about your party as well as some of the others! Thank you for being such a great hostess! By the way, I recently won a decorating book and Home Goods gift card in your giveaway…I got some beautiful Christmas table runners with that card!! So sorry I never got around to posting about it, but I appreciate it so much!

Oops…forgot the link…robinsblessednest.blogspot.com/2008/12/merry-christmas-2008.html!!

Your home is beautiful and so are YOU! Those two children are absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you for hosting this Julia…now I am off to peek and have some fun!!

Love,
    Sue

Came over from BooMama.

Everything is lovely! And I’m sure for YOU the best part is when your kids gave each other that hug!!! It still warms my heart when mine do that, and they are all grown and gone now.

Merry Christmas!!!

Thank you so much for hosting such a fun event. I always love fun shots for Christmas photos instead of formal ones and you have some great ones with your guys!

Good mornin’ :). I’m VERY late to the party, but better late than NEVAH, right????

Here’s my link: http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/2008/12/christmas-.html

LOVELOVELOVE your simple decor, especially the mercury glass trees and that beautiful red bowl of ornaments (I never would’ve seen those boxes if a little bird hadn’t mentioned it!). The pictures of your kids? s i g h…mine never turn out that good, but you’ve given me hope!

Thanks for hosting…can’t wait to visit some others (I’ll update my post to include your party info after an early morning meeting).

Simple is good… you pulled it off nicely:). Love the shots of your kids! Merry Christmas!

Julia, I just realized I had linked to my blog not the post because I was unsure how to do that. I figured it out and tried to change it. Hopefully it worked. Thanks for the gift of your time to make these blog parties work so well. Pam

Thanks for hosting the holiday tour. This has been so much fun to check out holiday ideas. I love your daughter’s garland – we should get our girls together. They could totally deck out an entire house with all their crafts.

Hi Julie! I don’t know if I stumbled, tweeted or what. I came by through Kimba’s site. I posted you on my post with a link, but I think you know that b/c you have already stopped by and visited.

Thanks for hosting!

Have a blessed day!

Julia, your house is beautiful. I love your centerpiece with the balls~it’s perfect. I hope it’s not too late to join. Merry Christmas!

Another kindred spirit keeping it simpler this year…what is it? The down the tube economy isn’t it because we all have jillions of decorations. Anyway your house looks fabulous, when I saw your red toile I remembered that I have those placemats also…somewhere..LOL. My favorite is the garland your daughter is making. She can come put it all over my house if you run out of room. Have a wonderful Christmas and thanks for hosting this. Nancy

Wowsers… I love that mercury glass. I’m spending WAY too much visiting everybody’s home. Very fun though! Thanks for hosting! This is my first year on the circuit!

Your home looks lovely and your kids sound like a blast! I love the tree/fireplace picture – so cozy! And thanks for the cupcake recipe… I just may have to try those! Merry Christmas!

Thank you, thank you, thank you I have just realised that I had a passion about movie homes and your site has proved this to me. I have just sat here surfing your site going ‘OMG’ & ‘WOW’ & ‘Oh I remember that’ & ‘oh what a fab movie’
    I have just found my new site to keep up with.
    Have a very Merry Christmas and I look forward to visiting you more in the new year.

I’ve never been to your blog before, but found you on a few of Boomama’s list. What a nice blog! I’ll be checking it again and adding a link to my blog as well.

Julia,
    I am touched that you took the time to stop by and leave such a sweet comment. You must be SO swamped today. I can’t believe how many are participating! What a fun event this has been. I really want to thank you again for hosting this and I hope you come back by to visit. Your blog is fantastic – keep up the great work and keep on blogging!
    Blessings to you,
    Kymber

I love the fabulous simplicity in your Christmas decor and your children are adorable! I can’t wait to tour all the homes! Thanks for hosting!

Wow! You put so much time into this Home Tour. Thank you so much. I can’t wait to get a minute to go around and visit everyone.

Julia, this was so much fun for me. My tour was #8 and I noticed I had lots of visitors by my hit counter, but not a single comment. I am wondering if I did something wrong when I signed up as it seems odd that no one commented? Could you just send me a comment to see if it is working just out of curiosity~I’d just like to know if I did it right??

No rush on this just trying to learn what I am doing in the blogsphere.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Hi there – I loved the tour so much I thought I’d enter my house! I guess you can just click on my name to get there or go here: hellogorgeousblog.com.

Thanks! And Happy Christmas!

84. Urban Nester says

I love your home. What color are the walls by your fireplace?

Hi Julia :)

I know I’m late, but I added my name anyway. I hope you don’t mind. We’re moving, so I’m late with everything this year.

Now I’m off to see what you’ve been up to…..

rue

what a fun party! I hope that a Greenhouse decked out for Christmas counts :) It’s going to take me quite a while to check these all out but I just LOVE christmas…..

Julia – Really enjoyed those photos of you and Mum and the children – thanks for sharing !!
    I’m so pleased that I found your website – so much to explore. I love looking your posts.
    I live in an old Mill House here in England – maybe you would like to see a photo ?
    Happy weekend to you !

My vote is for the Queen of Good Intentions. I really enjoyed touring her home. She’s definately a girl after my own heart…

Hello…I added my Blog – Seeking Glitter and Grace – and then realized I had made a mistake in the spelling of my link. The first link doesn’t work, so I added it agin with the correct spelling. You can delete that first link. Thanks, Michelle (vintagesquirrel) at Seeking Glitter and Grace

I love your site and I am so excited about all the great ideas found in everyone’s posts! Thanks for hosting! Blogland parties rock!

Kirsten of B&K

Hi Julia,
    I just discovered your blog via Off The Wall. I hope it’s not too forward to enter this Mr.Linky the first time I visit…
    Thank you, now I have lots of stuff to discover during the holidays!
    Merry Christmas!
    Trudi

I’m a lil late to the party .. I love seeing everyones different taste. I’m new to blogland and love touring everyones pages getting to know different people and getting ideas from them. Thanks for taking the time to host this party!
    ~Debbie

Well I’m really late! I am so impressed at how everyone finds time to not only decorate but blog about it before the holidays too! I hope it’s okay to join in after Christmas as I enjoy checking out these parties all year long! Oh and this is my first ever comment on another blog and link so I hope I did it right!! I love following other blogs and thought it was perhaps time to mingle with others now that I’m getting a bit more comfy with blogging! Perhaps next year I can be on time?? :)

Hi Julia! Your home looks so lovely decked out for the Holidays! I just love your wreaths in the french doors. Wreaths in windows makes me happy. The pictures of your children are so sweet. It looks and sounds like you guys have been having a very happy holiday season!!
    Merry Christmas from our family to yours. :)
    Beth.
    .-= beth´s last blog ..Beginning to look like Christmas =-.