Your Entrance Hall Says What?

by hookedonhouses on November 16, 2008

Take a look at this entrance hall from a Better Homes & Gardens decorating book published in the 1950s. BHG thought it was saying “Welcome!” What do you think it says?

“This entrance hall says __________________________.”

If You’re Hooked on Retro Rooms:

P.S. Are you following me on Twitter? I’m @hookedonhouses. If you do, then you know I’ve got a 6-year old with the flu here. Not a fun way to spend the weekend. Hope yours is going better than mine!

Natalie at FLHomeBlog November 16, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I think it says welcome kids! My stairs were made for sliding, and only step on the orange spots on your way to the kitchen! woohoo!

Besides the flooring it’s a great entryway.

Julie November 16, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Come in, I want to slash you up while you are in the shower…..

Liz@VioletPosy November 16, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I’m not sure what that carpet is trying to say – LOL!

Linda November 16, 2008 at 1:25 pm

says…step on a crack, you’ll break your mothers back.

Emily@remodelingthislife November 16, 2008 at 1:35 pm

other than the carpet, i love it! and i don’t know, maybe kids could do hopscotch on it!

hookedonhouses November 16, 2008 at 1:39 pm

My kids would love playing on this carpet. I’m sure they’d come up with lots of games for it.

Does anyone else find it odd that some of the trim was painted white and the rest was painted to match the walls? -Julia

sandra/tx November 16, 2008 at 1:50 pm

“Spindles are us.” “We like the look of stone, but it’s just so cold.”

jeweledrabbit November 16, 2008 at 2:34 pm

It’s not speaking to me, so I don’t know what it’s trying to say. LOL

Billy November 16, 2008 at 2:43 pm

The rug guy at the swap meet was just giving this away; can you believe it?

Cathy November 16, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Marcia Marcia Marcia!

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall November 16, 2008 at 4:02 pm

It say’s, “Help, I need a Reno!”

Quincy November 16, 2008 at 4:14 pm

This entrance hall says … “Fine, I will try your LSD. But then we’re going to make a decision on that hall carpet.”

Elle November 16, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Keep your shoes on.

Derek November 16, 2008 at 5:04 pm

This entrance hall says….. HELP! My carpet has turned into a leprachauns crazy quilt!

This entrance hall says….. The stair rail is the only thing I didn’t ruin in our recent remuddle. Don’t you just love it?

This Entrance hall says…..(Shouts is more like it) HELP ME! My art is under scaled and walls are drab. Please rid me of this carpet my owners had to have. My Furniture is modern, My railing is not. I really just think the decorator should be shot. So here I sit in shades of orange and green, even the front door thinks its obsene. Someone call Ty and his team of movers. Tell them I’m ready for my Extreme Home Makeover.

Tam November 16, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Groovy times are here!I think they were ahead of the times just a few years??? LoL!
Put a hostess on that floor with some polyester bell bottoms, square toed patten leather shoes and you would think it was the glorious 60′s!!!
~Tam :D

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs November 16, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Oh My!!!

laura @ the shorehouse November 16, 2008 at 7:29 pm

This hallway says an Oompah Loompah just vomited here.

Seriously…that floor looks like something went horribly wrong with the latest recipes at the chocolate factory.

:-)

Hope that flu is working its way out of your house. That’s nothing fun to be “hooked on” at all.

marilyn @ simmer till done November 16, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Hi Julia!

I think it says…”after you die looking at this floor, please ascend the staircase to heaven.”

Joni Webb November 16, 2008 at 9:47 pm

please call an interior designer pronto and redo this floor!!!

Aubrey November 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm

This entry hall says vomit. Vomit hard. Poor little Lily–I hope she gets better soon. At least your son is a lot older and hopefully not likely to catch it like more little ones would–like the little ones atmy house would. We have plagues here. Plagues that spread like wildfire.

Ms.Tee November 16, 2008 at 11:02 pm

“…we’re Mike & Carol Brady.” ;0) Wow!

Ms.Tee November 16, 2008 at 11:03 pm

P.S. I hope Lily feels better soon! :)

Robyn November 16, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Welcome to the Motel 6 (66) – well leave the light on….

desiree November 17, 2008 at 1:40 am

Seriously? Who thought that floor was a good idea? Sure it’s dated but c’mon. I can’t imagine that ever being stylish. Yuck.

Mom in High Heels November 17, 2008 at 3:50 am

This entrance hall says, feel free to drop stuff on me. No one will be able to tell.

Melanie November 17, 2008 at 9:13 am

The entry way is saying ” The decorator is color blind and thought this was one color of carpet….HELP ME!”

Hope Lily is feeling better!

The Summer Kitchen Girls` November 17, 2008 at 9:42 am

WOW!!! Guess traditional was a bad thing back then. Do we have that designers name to see their other works! Oh Julia, we had so much fun reading everyone’s comments – Always fun over here!! Hope the flu bug has left your home this weekend…never fun!

rhoda November 17, 2008 at 10:12 am

Help me! for sure…oh my why did they think carpet like that was SO cool back then?! LOL

The City Sage November 17, 2008 at 11:31 am

This entrance hall says, “Welcome to the game of survivor! For your first immunity challenge, make your way across the carpet…one tile holds a shot at a million dollars, and one tile will explode when you step on it…”

Mike November 17, 2008 at 11:39 am

“This entrance hall says ‘Hey there, swingers! Drop your keys in this bowl and we’ll swap later’.”

Scary.

Julia, love the new blog updates – I haven’t been around in a long time because it was blocked at work for a while after you went to your own domain!

julia@lookiloos.com November 17, 2008 at 12:34 pm

“Wilma! I’m home!”

Debbie November 17, 2008 at 1:30 pm

This is great! My entrance says…feathers…the kids just brought the eggs in from the barn and there are still feathers…oh my…This is a house! Not a barn! (It’s not that bad…)
Debbie

Suzann November 17, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Not only does this say “Groovy Man”, I can see someone from Laugh In popping in and screaming “Sock It To Me”.
GoGo Boots and psychedelic drugs – LOL. But, I imagine in the correct time frame it would really be a grand entry with all those stairs
and the wide open space – clean, neat, and organized. Definitely welcoming.

janet November 17, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I think it just says “dizzy” or maybe ditzy. I think it has something to do with the Martini drinking of the 50s! Obviously the martini drinkers of this millenium have much better tasre.

Janet

Janet

KayVonne November 17, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Brady Bunch!

Kathy :) November 18, 2008 at 11:01 am

Far out baby !!!

Hope your little one feels better :)

Kathy ;)

Kathy :) November 18, 2008 at 11:02 am

ps my little do dah beside my name fits right into that entry……..groovy :)

Bella Casa November 19, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Wow, look at that carpet! lol Cool!!!

I follow you on twitter and did not know you had a little one with the flu….hope that she is better now!!!

I love that “Blog of the Month”, how cool is that? And I also love that it is Ramona’s site, I love her blog!

Bella :)

Aaron Klimchuk November 25, 2008 at 3:44 pm

I actually like the carpet. Not for an entryway, but I’d love to have the opportunity to properly put together a bedroom or office with that classic carpet!

El B November 25, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Welcome to Vegas. Slots are in the back.

Janice December 25, 2008 at 9:20 pm

This entrance says I should not have had that 3rd bowl of Frosted Flakes before the twirly ride.

Anna March 11, 2010 at 10:53 am

I am not gonna insult this front entry, during this era this is what was going on in terms of home design, sure the flooring is not what we would endure in today’s homes but then it was considered contemporary. If I walked in to this kind of decor today I would switch it up to make it look lighter, it’s the darkness that is trowing it off and the multi-colored rug toher than that is is fine with some new art work added to the order.