“Do Not Use” This Bathroom

by hookedonhouses on October 28, 2008

Halloween is right around the corner, so I thought I’d post some scary MLS photos. It frightens me to think a Realtor is trying to sell a house with these pictures of the bathroom! Here I thought it was bad when that real estate agent took close-ups of the three dressed-up toilets in the red brick house I showed you a few weeks ago. At least those bathrooms looked clean.

For these pictures, the agent (and owners) couldn’t be bothered to close the medicine cabinet doors or take all the junk off the sink first.

But wait, what’s that yellow tape in the sink?

Lovely.

Well, don’t worry. I won’t use this bathroom! I have a feeling no one else will want to, either.

If You’re Hooked on Bad MLS Photos:

Chris October 28, 2008 at 8:05 am

Is that a joke? C’mon, the realtor was in a “worlds worst MLS bathroom” photo contest, right? I wouldn’t even go look at that house, based on that photo!

sandra/tx October 28, 2008 at 8:40 am

That’s hilarious, Julia. Maybe that should be your next house tour party — bad mls photos. LOL

Linda@ Restyled Home October 28, 2008 at 8:41 am

A very scary photo…just in time for Halloween!! I love your sense of fun, Julia!!

Welcom back to Angela…she was one of my first blog buddies and her blog is a treasure trove of inspiration and knowledge. I am on my way over there, now!!

Linda

Passion for Rugs October 28, 2008 at 8:47 am

A new twist indeed.

How thoughtful of the agent to remove the toilet tank lid for easy inspecting.
I can’t tell you how many homes I toured when I was in the market to buy that looked exactly like this picture. Blech! –Jane

Debbie October 28, 2008 at 8:49 am

Good morning Julia, I had to laugh, I’m with your other poster…I wouldn’t look either. Great post and great picture. My teenagers bathroom does look similar, I have to admit, makeup everywhere, bras on the floor, hahaha. I just take a basket (large) and scoop everything in it…voila, it is straightened! I just love your blog Julia, very fun and inspiring!
Debbie

Courtney @ Nesting Instincts October 28, 2008 at 8:53 am

I feel like I need to go wash my hands after just LOOKING at that photo. Yikes! I was going to ask if you could hear me laughing in Portland, but then I realized I was too disgusted to laugh. :-)

janet October 28, 2008 at 8:55 am

Note from a Realtor: That house has been foreclosed. When a home is foreclosed the bank sends someone to winterize the plumbing, to protect their asset. They will not send anyone to clean or do any maintenance. Many Realtors spend their own money to have the home cleaned, but remember that NO water can be used, and many just don’t want to pick up and dispose of the junk left behind ( dare I say male Realtors??). Many years ago I worked for the FDIC and you cannot believe the things some people do to their homes, or leave behind, on the way out the door! Enuf said!

Janet

Deanne October 28, 2008 at 9:45 am

i blame the real estate adgent for the terrible picture….it HAD to be a man, for a woman would close the medicine cabinet and tidy up a bit (hide things?) for a quick picture. :)

Holly October 28, 2008 at 9:49 am

Yuck! I was going to say that I’ve seen those ‘winterized’ signs in unoccupied houses, but that this one appears, by the junk, to be very much occupied. Then I saw Janet’s comment about it being foreclosed, and it all makes sense. I know she’s right that people just walk out the door and you wouldn’t believe what they leave behind (or take with them…carpet, furnace, whatever). But it’s still weird. Doesn’t it seem like they’d take their toothbrush and sunglasses? This looks like they left in a dire life-and-death emergency, like the last days of Pompeii or something.

Amy from Texas October 28, 2008 at 9:56 am

I don’t know how you find this stuff? Too funny!

Angela October 28, 2008 at 10:01 am

Is that for real?! I mean, seriously not a joke?! Oh my gosh…

PlantingOaks October 28, 2008 at 10:50 am

Well, having toured a vacant house where the toilet tank had exploded when it froze because it wasn’t winterized, the stickers are somewhat reassuring.

However, the random stuff on the sink really doesn’t jive with the vacant part. Are the foreclosed-upon still in there? Or do they just have really bad dental hygiene in their new digs? I think the pompeii suggestion was a good one ;)

rue October 28, 2008 at 11:02 am

I figured it was forclosed on, but it still amazes me that banks don’t even have them cleaned up so they can get rid of them. I mean seriously… do you WANT to get them off your hands or do you like owning all those homes. Sorry… I’m a little pissy about all the forclosures because it’s bringing down the value of our homes.

rue

Kristin October 28, 2008 at 11:11 am

OMGoodness, I love it! Nothing like staging, huh? Looks like a model home! LOL The question I have is why are the pipes winterized when it looks like someone is clearly still living there! Oh dear.

JG October 28, 2008 at 11:23 am

Have you seen this blog? I found it a few days ago and now its my favorite! It has a collection a very bad mls photos

It’s Lovely! I’ll Take It!

Darla - Sassy Homemaker October 28, 2008 at 11:26 am

Seriously? No way.

People are really something.

desiree October 28, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Julia,
I shoot virtual tours for real estate agents and let me tell you, I’m shocked at what people will let represent their homes and selves for that matter. This bathroom is nothing….oh the stories I could tell! This is perfect for Halloween…in my eyes truly scary!

Katie @ makingthishome.com October 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I’d almost guess repo if it weren’t for all the stuff.

Suzann October 28, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Oh my – it looks like a crime scene. LOL.

Sue October 28, 2008 at 8:33 pm

My Gosh!!! A realtor once looked at my bathroom and thought it was horrible because I have tiny red checked wallpaper with a flag border…It seems you never put the color red in a bathroom. Who knew?? Atleast it’s very clean and no yellow police tape.

angela | the painted house October 30, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I am just dazzled by the toilet seat.

ida February 26, 2009 at 3:20 am

i was thinking hud house that they were cleaning up? or an ex hud.