The Purple Angel House Revisited

by hookedonhouses on August 17, 2008

Remember the “Purple Angel House” I posted photos of earlier this year? It looks like a fairly normal house on the outside, but that purple door hinted that there were surprises in store when you stepped inside. The real estate agent described it as being “exquisitely decorated” with “uniquely themed rooms.” That’s one way to put it.

I’ve been keeping tabs on the purple house for the past 6 months, and it still hasn’t sold. Today I discovered that the Realtor posted new photos that show they have given it a makeover (makeunder?). First change: the front door is no longer purple. It’s a traditional hunter green (somehow “The Green Angel House” just doesn’t have the same ring to it):

Second change: the foyer. Remember how it looked when it was purple and filled with angels? Here’s a reminder:

And now, all beige, with only one lone angel left to stand guard:

The living room and kitchen remain the same–or at least the photos of them haven’t been updated:

Notice the birdhouses on the wall and the real picket fence with fake ivy!

But the dining room no longer has the trompe l’oeil. Here it is before and after:

You know that had to be painful for the owner to paint over! Someone had clearly put a lot of time and effort into that faux wall and window. I find it kind of sad that there’s so little personality left here. You didn’t really notice how blah the furniture was when there was so much else going on around it, did you?

And finally, the master bedroom lost its island mojo, going from this:

To this:

They also lowered the price from $316,000 to $312,000. What do you think? Will this help it finally sell?

Check out Bad MLS Photos for more interesting things found in the real estate listings.

Angela August 17, 2008 at 8:17 am

Even my three-year-old daughter who loves purple didn’t want to stick around and endure these photos.

Do you think a man lives here, too?

I’ve seen those palm tree lamps at Home Depot before and wondered who buys them. Now I know.

Now all she needs is a purple quilted toilet cozy!

Diane August 17, 2008 at 8:25 am

Hi Julia,
I think the changes were a definate improvement…but they need to finish them! Maybe the photos will be updated. Looks lots better.
Diane

edie3 August 17, 2008 at 8:36 am

I posted the link from 2peas, hope you don’t mnd! I could spend hours on your blog, and the links to other blogs!

hookedonhouses August 17, 2008 at 8:52 am

Thanks so much for the shout-out, Edie3! I appreciate it!! -Julia :-)

Joe August 17, 2008 at 8:55 am

A classic example of why taste is so subjective and home staging is so critical in resale housing. The vast majority of potential home buyers don’t have great imaginations. The more specific the decorating style, the less potential buyers. Purple (and murals – yikes!) like other strong colors, just scares people away in droves.

Joe August 17, 2008 at 8:56 am

Oh…and I love your blog!

Debbie August 17, 2008 at 9:47 am

Hi Julia, it was definitely a good call to make these improvements especially in the foyer and that front door. Those may not be the right colors for the new buyer but at least the potential buyer can see the rooms clearly without all that gaudy stuff. I wanted to see changes in the kitchen and living room but at least they headed in the right direction with the changes they’ve already made.

Amy August 17, 2008 at 10:16 am

Well, I like it better than purple but now it just looks plain. They could do better in the kitchen and living room. I own a fixer now and in my next house I don’t want to have to change a lightbulb. I’d get rid of the picket fence.

that girl August 17, 2008 at 10:21 am

Oh we must update the rest! No purple, no chotchkies, no angels! Bizarre…

abbreviated August 17, 2008 at 10:49 am

Candice Olsen used a palm tree/sand pic on a wall in one of her bedroom remodels.

Linda B August 17, 2008 at 10:57 am

Um. Wow. I never had the, uh, pleasure of seeing the first house. I imagine it took the realtor quite a hard sell to convince the owner to tone it down a touch.

Hope it sells for them!

Norma August 17, 2008 at 11:48 am

I must say the entrance looks alot better now, that angel still has to go, and the white swag curtain has to go,now if they could just keep going with that color through to the rest of the house, and get rid of all the clutter on the walls, it would be a nice looking home.Staging homes have gotten very popular here, it sure helps in selling homes.

sandra/tx August 17, 2008 at 11:57 am

Too bad they didn’t stage before. They might’ve had a buyer by now. Yeah, it’s boring, but it allows potential buyers to see the house for what it is.

My hubby and I sold our first little house to a widower, who loved purple. When we were back in town a year later, he invited us in, and he’d added some form of purple wallpaper to at least one wall in every room. And purple “bathroom” tile to the entry floor. Blech!

Kellye August 17, 2008 at 12:15 pm

I do think it will go a long way to sell the house, but I agree that it’s boring.

One thing about Designed to Sell and The Stagers being so popular is that, in my opinion, people will begin to see through all of the staging. So, the psychological benefits will be considerably lower as more and more people become familiar with the tricks.

jude August 17, 2008 at 1:02 pm

when a house is so personalised, with such attention and effort poured into every detail why sell?

Pat August 17, 2008 at 3:03 pm

And I was worried about how my blue dining room would go over with potential buyers, should we decide to put our house on the market within the next year or so.

Even though this house is more “boring??” now, it should have a better chance at selling.

I didn’t see the original post.

Rhoda August 17, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Oh, my! I missed this doosie the first time you posted. Purple has to be my least favorite color EVER to decorate with. It definitely has a better chance of selling now that it doesn’t sear anyone’s eyes, LOl! Man, that was painful.

Rhoda

Sue August 17, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I love purple but not that much! I love your blog too so come see me to pick up your award!

DMD August 17, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I prefer to work with a blank canvas when I move into a new home. The thought of spending the time to repaint all that purple and to remove the silk ivy from everything that could carry the weight would make me think more than twice before buying this trip into fairyland.

Shirl August 17, 2008 at 6:36 pm

As one who paints wall murals, my thought is that the dining room murals are those kind that are large stickers. And it looks like fake flowers were then stapled to the wall along the top of the stone mural. And all those colors! My stomach did flip-flops with the “before” pics. Glad you’ve kept up with this – now let’s see if the kitchen gets a makeover.

JoEllen August 17, 2008 at 7:02 pm

I think the house has a much better chance of selling with the “boring” beige. It would be hard to get past some of the previous decor! I think it looks much much better.

That being said, my house had a purple kitchen (think deep deep purple -Welch’s grape juice purple) when I bought it. Initially I thought it wasn’t bad but I wouldn’t keep it. But here I am 4 years later and it has grown on me.
The light purple/grey/taupe color in the family room has to go though!!!

Ms.Tee August 17, 2008 at 8:03 pm

How did I miss this purple angel house?! It was all so weird, but the weirdest was the island bedroom…I think it looks 1,000 times better. I’m not getting the picket fence in the kitchen thing, though…

Norma August 18, 2008 at 6:34 am

I forgot to add this to my comment yesterday. I took a good look at the entrance upper window, I’ve never seen a window like that before, it looks like a window in a window,it looks you could open it, you’d have to bring out a ladder to open it every time,very strange.Also that white shelf above the dinning room entrance, and that white moulding piece thats stuck to the wall that’s above it, they have to go.

marie August 18, 2008 at 7:04 am

Oh. MY. I missed this house first time you posted about it. For that I am truly sorry. lol Purple is the worst color like…ever.

I do take comfort in thinking that the funny art on the wall in the dining room was probably some wallie stick on thing that the homeowner can reapply in her new purple paradise when she moves. I’ve seen them at Lowes. I never actually seen them in somebody’s house before though.

Karla & Karrie August 18, 2008 at 7:43 am

You know….we LOVE color – but it is sooo relaxing on the eyes not to have all of that going on – it really changes the looks of things (hopefully they paint the rest of the house too!!), so we’re going to say that it should really, really help selling that one! How do you suppose the realitor tactfully told them to paint over all of that purple???!!!!

bermudaonion August 18, 2008 at 9:18 am

That house was scary before.

Jacqueline August 18, 2008 at 11:09 am

I am so glad this blog was posted on TwoPeas. I feel like I found a kindred spirit in my love of houses! Thank you for taking the time to find and post all these interesting and fascinating homes.

Bettsi August 18, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Hi Julia! Thanks for the update on this house! Personally, I hate purple and love yellow, but I know a lot of people who feel the opposite. Even so, this house was horrendously TOO much before. Much better! I have to agree that the murals were probably stickers. I sure wish them luck! I do think there is a lot more they could do!

laura @ the shorehouse August 18, 2008 at 11:20 pm

I also somehow missed this the first go round! Maybe my retinas were burned…

WOWZA. I can’t even believe this is real!!

Anita August 20, 2008 at 11:24 am

Sadly, I think it will help sell the house. People are into bland and boring. I personally can’t stand beige anywhere in my house and when we moved into our new place, I told my girls to pick any color for the walls but white. It’s not allowed. That said, though, the house before had a little too much personality. It’s hard to see past all that distraction to the bones of the house.

Tori August 20, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I like the way they changed the foyer. I think purple is great, but not like Paint the town purple.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries August 21, 2008 at 10:00 am

Doesn’t that home now look twice it’s size? The rooms look SO much bigger! I’m hoping they did the other rooms as well!

Sue August 21, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Okay, it is now staged and nice and, well, devoid of all personality.
Was their taste MY taste? Nope, but I love a home that just glows with the owners heart. Someone had put so much love into that home and now it is gone. *sigh*

I guess I have never understood the staging thing. I guess I have to realize that there are some people whp can not see beyond certain things but I will never get that. When we looked at homes, we were looking at condition, layout, area and price. All else could be changed. Heck, even the layout can be changed if all else was perfect! I would not have cared if their paint was electric lime or beige. But, that is just old, grumpy me. : )

Pat August 21, 2008 at 9:30 pm

I can’t belive how inexpensive this house is, purple or not! Where is it? I have to get out of NYC. You can’t buy a one room studio for this price.

rue August 22, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Hi Julia :)

I missed so much on here!

Holy smokes! As bad as it was, I have the ability to look past all that stuff and see the house and envision what I can do with it, but sadly most people can’t. If I have trouble getting people to understand why I have a mirror hanging outside, I’m sure no one can get past the purple. I have a hard time watching house hunters, because half the time I want to smack them LOL

rue

Kathy :) October 28, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I remember that post. Not too surprised it is still on the market. I understand people wanting to put their personality into a home, who dosen’t ? But this house just goes to prove that some people just have bad taste, don’t you think ???

And dear Lord that yellow tape in the “scary” bathroom whatever are people thinking ???

Have a nice day Julia,
Kathy :)

KayVonne October 28, 2008 at 7:49 pm

The $4000 price drop probably covers all the paint & primer they had to buy to cover the LOUD colors! KV

bungalowbliss December 9, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Wow, the original pics made my eyes hurt. While the changes aren’t very exciting, that’s a welcome toning down that a buyer will hopefully appreciate. I could at least tolerate these neutral colors while I was painting it to reflect my tastes. The purple…not so much.

yayiemai February 19, 2009 at 4:50 am

im a purple person…maybe if i have money i would buy it and keep the purple door, foyer, living room..the rest shouldn’t be so over the top with a whole lotta things goin on

Susan February 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I’m with ue, I rather hated to see so much personality removed. The entrance looks lovely…I did like the purple front door though.

Susan February 20, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Oh yeah, the kitchen? Kitty Bartholomew used the picket fence, ivy and birdhouses on a show ages ago.

ida February 26, 2009 at 3:32 am

i have a few religous items around my house. BUT, i would have taken them all down. every single one. all pics would be gone too. and if i had a wall art like the purple house i would have toned it down at least 90 percent. i would let the outdoor cloths line wall painting stand in the washer and dryer room (opps was talkin about myself!!).lol

Moi May 17, 2009 at 9:58 am

I never saw the purple rooms before … I’m new to this blog and I love it! In fact, I’m spending lots of time browsing here and having a blast and not getting anything else done. This is a FUN and well done blog.

As for the purple rooms, I love the imagination and creativity. It is a shame that the owners had to “go mainstream” to sell the house but that’s what it takes.

I applaud their originality and style, angels and all.

I LOVE their kitchen and am glad they kept it the same.

Nathan September 8, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Does the real estate agent not know that the house probably won’t sell if you keep those horrible (or gaudy, whatever) colours on the walls? I think neutral colours would open it up and make it seem a little larger as well. Good job on the few rooms that this was done too.

Andrea October 29, 2009 at 7:42 am

Wow! This is the perfect example of, “Great place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.” My own house is taupe and white like the “after” pictures. At the end of the day, my confused and messy mind craves an oasis of clean, uncluttered simplicity.

However. I would love, love, love to be friends with the Puple Angel Lady! I would like to visit for tea and examine every little angel and all the unique decorating touches. Dee-lightful!

LaurelStreet January 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

Oh my word – I can’t believe I missed this post. The only respectable thing I can think of to say is that – at least – the people that decorated this house certainly had a clear vision of what they wanted.

Yikes. I can’t look at the before pictures anymore – they’re making me itch.
.-= LaurelStreet´s last blog ..Don’t you need some extra gloss in your life? =-.

MARY February 16, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I found your site tonight, need to go to bed, but can’t bear to leave these wondeful pages. I have admired and laughed and really been impressed with your organization and creativity. By the way, I am a senior citizen.

Bethany July 6, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I cannot get over that purple door… wow!!! The new paint job is certainly going to help. I can’t imagine trying to look at that house with a straight face in the former but, as you said, it had to pain the owners to paint over all of that, they definitely loved it, you can tell.
.-= Bethany´s last blog ..Fireworks with the Munchkins 2010 =-.

ae July 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I would be interested to know whether or not the house is still listed with the same Realtor? It has been my experience that the first Realtor in these situations will make the suggestions to neutralize and de-clutter, the homeowner will take it personally and then list with someone else at which point the suggestions will be made again, the price will be lowered and the house will sell.

hookedonhouses July 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm

ae–
I believe there have been 2 or 3 agents over the years who have tried to sell it. -Julia

Courtney @ nesting instincts July 7, 2010 at 9:41 am

I’m doubting the $4,000 price drop is going to make much difference. The new paint, however, can only help!

And the one angel left is surely still big enough to deter even the most determined bad guy!
.-= Courtney @ nesting instincts´s last blog ..I have no wordsletters- but no words =-.

Renee April 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm

It only took 6 months to convince her that her tastes didn’t suit everyone and then she couldn’t give up her angel. I feel for this agent!

it sales training courses September 12, 2011 at 10:57 pm

An interesting discussion is worth a comment. I feel that you need to write more on this topic, it won’t be a taboo subject however usually individuals are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

{ 3 trackbacks }