A Colorful Kitchen Makeover Featuring Fiestaware

by hookedonhouses on February 28, 2008

kitcolorbefore2.jpe

A reader named Aja gave her 1956 brick ranch a makeover, and I fell in love with her new kitchen. Here’s how it looked when she bought the house. Not very promising, is it?

kitcolorbefore1.jpe

I don’t think I would have seen the potential in it that she did. Here’s how it looks now, after Aja worked her magic on the room and filled it with her Fiestaware collections:

kitcolor3.jpe

I love the tile backsplash:

kitcolor1.jpe

Instead of replacing the cabinets over the stove, she hung open shelves to display her colorful pitchers:

kitcolor2.jpe

Thanks to Aja for letting me share her beautiful kitchen with you. You can see more photos on her Flickr page.

Visit my Before & Afters page to see more amazing makeovers!

DAK February 28, 2008 at 11:22 am

So many tiny tiles! Those had to be a pain to hang…

maya February 28, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Oh how I love Fiesta ware!!

irishsof February 28, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I’ve seen much worse kitchens than the “before” but I do so LOVE the “after”.

CindyK February 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I *love* this. Like Maya, I’m so in love with Fiestaware. And it looks gorgeous against the white! DAK, just so you don’t go crazy thinking of trying to line up those little tiles, they come attached to big sheets of mesh, so one sheet of mesh, which you apply directly to the grout, might be 8X8. So you don’t have to align each little tile. :)

hookedonhouses February 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm

CindyK, thanks for explaining the tile thing for DAK. Can you imagine if you did have to line up each of those individual little squares? Ha.

That Fiestaware is so fun. Love how she used those colors together.

Nishtha August 13, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I would love to know where Aja got the spice rack from? It hangs so well from the rod.

Steve December 31, 2008 at 9:28 am

I looked quick and thought that said, “FAT!” above the cabinets.

Melinda January 7, 2009 at 9:41 am

ooo I’m a big Fiesta fan too … love the plates mounted over the window!

bungalowbliss January 7, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Is this an IKEA kitchen? The backsplash looks just like one of theirs that I have always really liked! The Fiestaware looks amazing with the white cabinetry and bright colors on the wall, floor, etc.

Beautiful!!

ep February 21, 2009 at 8:30 am

Steve: Me too! I thought: “That’s a little harsh, but I guess some dieters might need that kind of motivation?”
Then I re-read it…LOL!

am: May 25, 2009 at 4:16 pm

at first i didnt like it (too much color), which is definately not my style.
but then i began to see the fun side, and how uplifting it is.
although i would never do it myself, its a cute and bold idea :)

Brittany June 24, 2009 at 2:15 pm

LOVE this kitchen (although husband would never agree to it). How clean and bright. Makes me want to expand my Fiesta pitcher collection!!!

{ 1 trackback }