Kitchen Cabinets the Color of Blue Jeans

by hookedonhouses on March 5, 2009

I spotted this photo of kitchen cabinets that were painted to resemble distressed denim over at Atticmag:

Bold cabinets and a beefy range hood in the color of distressed blue jeans give this rustic, but refined, kitchen a real wow factor. Twin, unfitted spice cabinets – lined up with the corbels — are a great idea on each side of the range. The tone of the granite counters is keyed to a Jerusalem limestone floor in a perfect blend. Note two paneled dishwashers flanking the main sink, 3 ovens, and a chandelier that dresses up the room dramatically.

I think it’s interesting that they gave such a high-end kitchen such a casual look with the paint treatment. Do you think it works?

If you haven’t been to Atticmag yet, check it out. They have an entire gallery of kitchens that you can easily get lost in.

Dagny @ Beautiful Living March 5, 2009 at 9:03 am

I’m not really loving it.. I think jeans are for clothes, nothing else (not cushions, throws, nothing). It’s a good paint job though :)

Dagny @ Beautiful Living’s last blog post..Sommernyheter fra IKEA! / Summer News from IKEA!

Emily@remodelingthislife March 5, 2009 at 9:04 am

I like it, but agree it’s casual for the upscale feel it seems they were going for. That kitchen is like a cottage-y kitchen on steroids. I do love it and suppose if it was mine, I’d survive :)

Janene March 5, 2009 at 9:05 am

You know…it is not quite my style, but yes, I think this looks really elegant yet comfortable.
Like wearing pearls with jeans!

Denise March 5, 2009 at 9:21 am

It works, but I know I would grow tired of it in a hurry. When I think of distressed, I imagine the genuine patina that comes with years of age and everyday use. The spice cabinets are my favorite feature of this kitchen. I’m currently looking for a way to house spices (in their store bought containers). This post have given me some ideas. Thanks, Julia.

Denise’s last blog post..The Geek Squad hits Seattle

Christine @ Distract Me March 5, 2009 at 9:23 am

I would love to have a stove/oven that size in my kitchen! Actually, I’d love to have a kitchen that was big enough to be able to paint with darker colors. I’m afraid if I do it’ll “shrink” the room. But this kitchen is lovely.

Christine @ Distract Me’s last blog post..Singing in the Rain…

Holly March 5, 2009 at 9:24 am

Well, I think it works in that it’s an interesting look and doesn’t look bad. But I don’t think it has staying power. It’s the kind of too personal look that might make resale more difficult (according to the HGTV experts, anyway).

Holly’s last blog post..More Bathroom Decor

christy March 5, 2009 at 9:26 am

I don’t like the blue cabinets at all. But I do thank you for the info on attic mag – never heard of it before and can’t wait to browse through it!

christy’s last blog post..HGTV and prosecco

Angela March 5, 2009 at 10:11 am

Oh, I think this is definitely debatable! I like them, but I am sure I would be ‘over it’ shortly if I had to look at them every day!

Angela’s last blog post..Poetry

Amy March 5, 2009 at 10:17 am

I thinks it’s ok. Like the others, I think I’d get tried of that look. I do have that denim treatment on the wall of the bathroom that my boys share.It looks good in there but even after 4years it’s starteing to loose it’s appleal ot me but eveyone else still love it.

loida March 5, 2009 at 10:36 am

I think it fits our lifestyle.. Maybe we’ll try it later..

Robin March 5, 2009 at 10:57 am

I like the kitchen overall, but not the color…I’m not a big fan of blue, though. However, I really like the contrast with that beautiful stone floor!

Robin March 5, 2009 at 10:58 am

oops, wrong URL!

Robin’s last blog post..Getting to Know Some New Blogging Friends

sally March 5, 2009 at 11:03 am

I love it! I think it goes, and I would love it for a long time. I also wouldn’t walk in and see the blue and automatically think denim, either. Someone would have to tell me that. Not so crazy about the light fixture though.

sally’s last blog post..Crazy Busy

desiree March 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

It’s too much denim for me. The stone is beautiful. I also don’t like the light fixture with the casualness of the cabinets. It just seems out of place.

desiree’s last blog post..Chase Those Chilly Blues Away

Amy @ Living Locurto March 5, 2009 at 11:36 am

Looks like they were trying for the French Country look. I couldn’t live with those cabinets, but the rest of that kitchen is awesome!

Amy @ Living Locurto’s last blog post..Twitter Craze

SoBella Creations March 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

I’m not a fan of that kitchen. For the appliances and countertops the color seems off somehow in my opinion.

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..Mammalicious Finds Shopping Directory

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage March 5, 2009 at 11:47 am

Wow – that’s a beautiful kitchen. “Denim” cabinets could look VERY wrong, but they really made them work in this room. I’ll have to go check out that website.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..CREATING A COZY ROOM WITH VAULTED CEILINGS

Mike March 5, 2009 at 11:55 am

That color on the cabinets doesn’t really do anything for me.

Lindsay March 5, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I think it would work if the wood was white washed, but I don’t think the kitchen looks “country” enough to have the denim cabinets.

I love that denim color, though.

Lindsay’s last blog post..Are You Ready for a Challenge?

Puna March 5, 2009 at 1:31 pm

My opinion is that it rocks! I love it. The chandelier? Beautiful. Keeping it rustic with the open woodwork is fantastic. If I didn’t already have a great kitchen I’d be jealous.

Puna’s last blog post..You Gotta Have Friends…

Heather March 5, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I like it. I know it’s over the top casual but maybe the rest of the house is, too. I think it works, but I am personally a lover of color and I like the fact that it’s different from all of the white or maple kitchens out there (gag). I love the chandelier too.

Amy March 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I actually, really love it. It makes me think of wearing jeans and high heels. I don’t like the chandelier though- too 80′s brassy looking. Other than that I think it’s a keeper. I’d have to think about wall color though. I’m not sure I could keep white walls.

Amy’s last blog post..Apparently

Pat March 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I think I might tire of the jeans,after awhile. It’s a great kitchen,though!

Pat’s last blog post..~Birds & Bees~

Mom in High Heels March 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I don’t like it in that room. It doesn’t go with the white walls or the counter tops or the flooring. It’s a pretty effect but it just doesn’t fit that room. Maybe in a smaller kitchen. Or with a lower ceiling. And walls with color.

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..The Secret is in the Sauce

kthnxbye March 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Lightly whitewashed wood cabinets would be more my thing, but I LOVE the layout. If it was my kitchen, some cosmetic touches (maybe a different light fixture, maybe different counters) would be all it took.

I don’t really get the need for a third oven and would rather put an open cabinet for small appliances there but oh well.

Kim March 5, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Wow. I love the cabinets, but the room overall seems to be missing something. Not sure what it would be. I might change some of the cabinets to black if it were my house. Really like the whole room though!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger March 5, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Erm…NO, I don’t love it…it looks like lots of melted blue crayons smeared all over the cabinets. I think the pretty granite counters hate them, too.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger’s last blog post..Being Vulnerable

jill March 5, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I am drooling over those cabinets! I would never have imagined “blue jeans” cabinets would look so cool! Looks like I may be in the minority though with that opinion! Who the heck cares, I love them! Thanks for sharing… I’ll be thinking of what I can paint to look like blue jeans now!

jill’s last blog post.."I want a girl with shoes that cut."

Kathryn Wells March 5, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I like the look, Julia! (And this coming from one who just spent the last few snow days painting her own kitchen cabinets … but not distressed denim!) :-)

Kathryn Wells’s last blog post..Good Mourning

Kathi March 5, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Not liking this kitchen at all… it’s a great space, why did they have to ruin it with the “blue crayons smeared all over?”
Agree with BLAHger!

Grace March 5, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Nope, I’m not feeling it. It just doesn’t appeal to me at all. The blue cupboards just ruin the kitchen for me.

Grace’s last blog post..Cheap and Cheerful

Linda@Lime in the Coconut March 5, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Bold outside he box color. Bravo.

…and now…I wanna hop on a horse and ride.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut’s last blog post..Warm and fudgy rich and gooey. Tropical brownies.

Billy March 5, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Did some one hit the a Ralph Lauren paint closeout sale Home Depot? All I can think is $40k in new cabs when the house is sold.

Ellycat March 5, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Yuck! What a waste of a big kitchen with great appliances! And call me conservative but I think chandeliers are stupid in kitchens unless you plan to never cook in them. Maybe it is a showpiece kitchen and they’ll only eat takeaway in it.

Kathi is right. It does look like my 2 children have been given a big box of blue crayons and told to “go ahead, colour in a kitchen!”

Darla March 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I wish I liked it cuz I LOVE navy, but it just didn’t grow on me even after staring and staring at it. {sigh}

Oh well, ya win some ya lose some.

Darla’s last blog post..A school bus incident…

Misti @ Studio M Designs March 5, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Oh~ I love it! Just like the song “Forever in Blue Jeans Babe”… Gotta love to Neil Diamond too. That’s how I would feel in that kitchen as comfy as my favorite jeans…
~Misti

Misti @ Studio M Designs’s last blog post..Life is good!

The Tiny Homestead March 5, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I really love it! The overall look is great, and as long as they didn’t do it with the intention of selling right away I say bravo.

The Tiny Homestead’s last blog post..The one that got away

fuzion March 6, 2009 at 3:00 am

What an unique concept! Very nice, though I bet they’ll be repainting it once it wears on them :)

fuzion’s last blog post..Firefox 3.0.7

Alpaca Farmgirl March 6, 2009 at 9:16 am

I like the flooring. Interesting look. Not sure I’d want to live with it, but it’s great to see.

Alpaca Farmgirl’s last blog post..Fiber Arts Friday Carnival!

montee March 7, 2009 at 8:04 pm

These are neat looking. Years ago I did my daughter’s bedroom furniture to look like distressed denim.

bungalow_bliss March 9, 2009 at 11:35 am

Do I think it works? No.

I don’t care for the mix of casual/formal styles. In my opinion, this space was ruined by the cabinet treatment.

bungalow_bliss March 9, 2009 at 11:36 am

P.S. But on a positive note, I DO love the counters, floor, beams, and appliances! :-)

Ann June 20, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I love the casual look. It really comes across as happy and very relaxed.

Damie June 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love blue cabinets! When I lived in Santa Fe, mine were brighter blue – they matched the Sangre de Cristo Mountains as I looked out the kitchen window. I never got tired of them and have missed them ever since I moved out of that house.