Joyce’s Black & White Kitchen

by hookedonhouses on April 5, 2013

farmhouse sink in Joyce's kitchenA reader named Joyce submitted these photos of her newly remodeled kitchen for my contest, saying, “I was going for a country French and modern yet timeless look.” Two of her favorite things? The new BlueStar range and farmhouse sink. Take a look:

Joyce's black and white kitchen 2

“I designed the room myself with some assistance from a designer at the Kraftmaid vendor we used. I have always adored white subway tile and white cabinetry and did not want ubiquitous stainless steel appliances or granite.”

Joyce's black and white kitchen 4

“We were in desperate need of more storage and counter space, so we added upper cabinets and shelving and built a pantry.”

Joyce's black and white kitchen 1

Making the remodel a little more difficult: 3 entry doors leading into the room and low ceilings.

Joyce's black and white kitchen 5

“The kitchen is small at 150 square feet, but plenty big enough for my husband and me,” Joyce says.

Joyce's black and white kitchen 3

Thanks to Joyce and all the other readers who have shared their kitchens with us! I only have a few left to show you, so stay tuned. We’ll be voting soon! -Julia :-)

Click here to see the other contest entries, including…

Amy's white kitchen with checkerboard floorsA Cheery Cape Cod Kitchen

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Kym April 5, 2013 at 7:08 am

I love this kitchen!!! I love the built in’s, the hardware on the cabinets and the farmhouse sink. And the floor looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

Jennah April 5, 2013 at 7:27 am

Gorgeous!!! Joyce, what type of countertop did you choose? Everything looks wonderful and fresh!!!!

shelley April 5, 2013 at 7:38 am

Wonderful-! I am inspired by this. Yes what are the countertops?

Fwitzie April 5, 2013 at 7:46 am

Beautiful! I love how the black was brought in & its a matte. Really nice appliances too. Great job! It would have been so bland with all that white. Really nice!!

Monique April 5, 2013 at 7:47 am

What a great kitchen..love the sink..and I think I just bought her fridge..they look like twins.Are the counters the granite that looks like marble?
Everything is really tasteful.

T. April 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

I’d also like to know what the countertops are made of. This looks modern and stylish without looking like everyone else’s kitchen. Very nice! I especially love the shelving cubbies next to the fridge. Great idea.

Julia, all of these kitchens you’ve featured have been so lovely. I want to see photos of all of them again, only this time taken when they are actually being used for cooking! My kitchen looks tidy and organized for exactly 5 minutes right after I’m done cleaning it. The rest of the time, it’s a mess!

Alie B April 5, 2013 at 7:57 am

Love this! Very personalized to this couple. Feels like a real living space. Bravo! :-)

House Crazy Sarah April 5, 2013 at 8:03 am

Fabulous job Joyce! It is a very attractive space and I didn’t even noticed the size until it was mentioned! Just gorgeous. The light filled space and the flow make it feel very roomy.

laney April 5, 2013 at 8:14 am

…oh i love it…that white refrigerator is so beautiful…and unexpected (i really really really love the unexpected)…i also love her plants!…goodness did we ever have rooms full of plants back in the 70s!…blessings laney

missgulfsouth April 5, 2013 at 8:22 am

Joyce, you did such a fantastic job! And I love the range, too! ;)

Amanda April 5, 2013 at 8:42 am

Very nice!!

Ellie April 5, 2013 at 9:00 am

Beautiful job! I love the black touches….very elegant.

Esther George April 5, 2013 at 9:06 am

What a beautiful kitchen. Love the style of the cabinets and the hardware….the colour scheme is just perfect. Hi Julia thank you for sharing all these wonderful kitchens I am inspired. Hope you have a lovely weekend. Regards Esther from Sydney. We say goodbye to daylight saving this Sunday an extra hour of sleep time to readjust.

Melissa L. April 5, 2013 at 9:12 am

Love this kitchen! Classic lines, lovely yet functional. I really like the contrasting dark cabinets with all the white.

jep April 5, 2013 at 9:22 am

Very pretty and functional…great built in shelving by the refrigerator…and that sink is so nice.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com April 5, 2013 at 10:09 am

Nice job! I really like the mix of timeless materials with some more contemporary ones.

Thank you for sharing, Julia.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Debbie April 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

Love everything about this kitchen.

Rebecca C. April 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

Seems a lot bigger than 150 sq. ft. And I love, love it that you used a BlueStar range. There’s a ton of colors to choose from. The black looks great in this kitchen. You tempt me to use a white refrigerator too. That one looks so classic. It must be easy to clean. I hate cleaning my stainless steel one.

Debra Kling April 5, 2013 at 11:42 am

HookedonHouses– I just discovered this. Is it too late for me to submit my vey own kitchen for your consideration? Thanks, Debra.

hookedonhouses April 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm

The deadline for the contest was last November, but feel free to send me your photos and info anyway. I’d love to see them! :)

Susan April 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I was just wondering what the counter is and the flooring as well. It is just beautiful!

Jen @ After The Alter April 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm

seeing kitchen remodels really makes me jealous! Love this one!

Cyndi April 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Nice job! I love the little nooks beside the fridge for the small appliances that typically clutter counters. I noticed many drawers under the counters instead of cabinets. I bet that adds a ton more space and keeps everything organized. The light fixture over the sink is really pretty, too. This kitchen has some really thought out ideas!

Constance April 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Those appliance nooks are one of my favorite features of this kitchen. Love all the drawers too.

Margaret April 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Julia, there’s something that continues to bug me. How does it happen that so many houses you happen to show on here just happen to have totally bare windows, with absolutely nothing to cover them? I find it hard to believe that so many people are willing to live in a fishbowl just because the current fad in the decorating community calls for it. I visited with a friend in her second home — a gorgeous log home in the eastern edge of the Sierras — that had no shades or blinds. It was off the electric grid, so she had to be stingy with her power usage. Consequently we’re sitting there in a fishbowl with the outdoors pitch dark for miles, with not even one candle’s worth of exterior light, so that anything or anybody out there in the dark can easily see us inside, but we can’t see them. We were in sight of US Highway 395, where trucks and truckers abound. The nearest house, which was not occupied full-time, was at least 500 feet away, out of sight in the woods. I was so insecure I couldn’t sleep; and thereafter passed up all her invitations to visit again. Is it possible that some of the houses you show do have means of covering the windows that have been removed for the photo session in order to present the “now” style?

hookedonhouses April 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm

That’s an interesting observation! I hadn’t really noticed until you mentioned it.

I do know that in my own life window treatments have often been the last piece of the decorating puzzle, especially on the back of the house in public rooms where privacy wasn’t needed. They can be so expensive. We lived here for years without blinds in the kitchen or family room, for instance, until we finally had it in the budget to cover all those big windows. So maybe some of photos are taken right after remodeling projects are finished and before all the decorative details like window treatments are? I don’t know. Good question!

martha April 5, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Oh Margaret, I notice the same thing all the time. It really bothers me when bedrooms seem to have no way to get privacy.I don’t like very many windows treatments and am always looking for solutions that are not fussy. Maybe Julia is right when she suggests that the pictures are taken right after remodeling is done.

Margaret April 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Oh, and I didn’t mention the well-known fact that bare windows make a BIG difference in heating/cooling comfort and economy. I recently replaced some open-weave drapes on my 4′ x 78″ dining room window with plantation shutters, and the difference they make in comfort in both hot and cold weather was quickly noticeable. And I live in SoCal where typical (but not the extreme) low temps are in the upper 20s. I can’t imagine living in cold country with all bare windows on winter nights! Brrrrrrr!

Jen April 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Aww looks good and like you can use it

martha April 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Nicely done, I love the fact she is tired of all the stainless steel and granite……me too!

Todd April 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I wonder how low the ceilings are. They look at least 8 feet.

Mary April 5, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Elegant but practical- and I, too, love the appliance cubbies by the refrigerator. Easily accessible but not cluttering up the counters.

Laura April 6, 2013 at 11:33 am

Nice! Those do look like marble counters and they’re very pretty. I also love the range, subway tile, and the floors.

Carolyn April 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

Nice job! I too would like to know what the countertops are. Marble? Quartz? Or something else?

shelley April 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Could the lovely countertops be
Caesarstone’s “Misty Carrera”-?
or
Corian’s “Rain Cloud”?
I hope Joyce will post and inform us-!!

The reason I ask is I came across this recently:

hookedonhouses April 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Could be! I wrote Joyce to let her know about her kitchen being featured, so hopefully she will stop by and let us know.

shelley April 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Good. I think her kitchen is just beautiful. So many wonderful choices she made.

bfish April 7, 2013 at 7:37 am

Joyce, your kitchen is lovely and looks very functional. If you do come here to answer questions, I’d like to know the name/style of the Kraftmaid cabinets and the maker of your pantry door.

Thanks!

Joyce Higgins April 7, 2013 at 9:52 am

The kitchen counters are Corian,Martha Stewart’s “Sea Salt”,only available at Home Depot.The pantry door is salvage,an old patio door.Cabinets are Kraftmaid “Huntington”,the color “canvas”.The flooring is Mirage brand engineered hardwoods.Cabinet hardware from Restoration Hardware,Kraus sink,GE fridge,Bosch dishwasher.The ceilings are 7 foot 7 inches.Thanks everyone for your compliments.

hookedonhouses April 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thanks, Joyce!

Joyce Higgins April 7, 2013 at 11:58 am

Not that it matters all that much but the ceilings are actually 7’9″,still much too short.we had some canned lighting before that we removed and that along with the addition of crown molding made the ceiling look higher.

shelley April 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Joyce-thanks for the names of what you used. LOVE everything you did- that Sea Salt Corian is a new item. I wish they’d had that when I was doing my kitchen a few years ago.

Julie Christie Leary April 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Joyce did a beautiful job with her kitchen. It is a warm and inviting space that showcases her unwavering good taste.It truly is a reflection of her penchant for all things vintage yet updated and functional for a woman who loves to cook, be it for a quiet evening with her husband or for friends at one of their many dinner parties.I’m happy to say that I get to enjoy both her cooking skills and the beauty of her kitchen at one of those dinner parties in a few weeks.Can’t wait!

hookedonhouses April 7, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Lucky you! Wish I could join you. :)

Lynn Long April 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I’ve been to Joyce’s kitchen before and after. The new kitchen is absolutely delightful. I love the appliance cubbies and the glass-doored pantry. The stove is beautiful to look at and wonderful to cook with. Joyce used lighting that looks good and works well. This kitchen can handle Joyce’s masterly dinner parties with ease. Great job!

christine April 8, 2013 at 4:48 am

Love the black and white kitchen, your reader Joyce did such an amazing job!! Love all the storage especially for all the kitchen appliances. This would be one great kitchen to work in.

Allison April 9, 2013 at 11:27 am

I really love this kitchen and would vote for it as winner in the contest except for one thing…(and please keep in mind I’m all about doing what YOU love in your home!) but as a renter and prospective buyer I would walk in and cringe at the white appliances. It’s the OCD in me probably, but the two tones of white bother me :(
I think as far as resale value goes, most buyers want the appliances and farmhouse sink to match or coordinate- such as stainless and black or stainless and white. But black, stainless and white feels a little disjointed for me personally.
Otherwise this kitchen is phenomenal!!!!

jean o'connor April 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm

love it and you

Anna October 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm

What color cabinet handles are featured in the cabinet ? What is the counter top and color? What is the back splash tile name and color?

joyce higgins October 4, 2013 at 7:49 am

oil rubbed bronze handles from restoration hardwarecounters are,sea salt corian Martha Stewart line only at home depot,daltile subway tiles,not bright white and not the cream color but the color in between,do not recall the names of their colors.

hookedonhouses October 4, 2013 at 7:52 am