Ryan Murphy Bought Diane Keaton’s Spanish Colonial

Remember Diane Keaton’s beautifully renovated Spanish Colonial? It was designed in 1927 by Ralph C. Flewelling and was featured in Architectural Digest a few years ago. Keaton sold it in 2010 to the Glee and American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy. The Hollywood Reporter has a tour of it in their current issue, so let’s see how it looks now!

In this photo from the Architectural Digest story that ran a few years ago, Keaton stands inside the front door:

Here are Ryan Murphy and his interior designer Cliff Fong under one of the house’s many arched doorways today:

This is how the kitchen looked when it was Diane’s:

Keaton’s designer Stephen Shadley came up with the idea for the inverted, upside-down shades in the kitchen that were so striking and memorable. Murphy says he liked how she had the house so much that he begged her to sell him all the furniture that came with it, but she declined. She did, however, let him spend a day photographing all of her things so he could replicate as much as possible.

You can see he kept the kitchen looking pretty much the same as when she lived there:

Murphy says that the sets for his new sitcom “The New Normal” are a “near replica of his house.” In fact, the pilot episode was shot nearby at another house that Diane Keaton used to own. “It’s sometimes strange to walk onto set because I feel like I never leave my world.”

Of course I immediately had to look up photos of the sitcom’s sets and was thrilled to find an entire slideshow of them at NBC.com. You can see that they’re more colorful than his house–the kitchen looks a little more like it did when Keaton owned it.

Here’s a behind-the-scenes photo of the kitchen set:

I got a little sidetracked there. Back to how the kitchen looked when Diane owned it and had this charming “Exchange” sign on the wall:

Murphy has a vintage “CALIFORNIA” sign over those shelves and everything looks a little more masculine and subdued without Keaton’s colorful pottery:

The bedroom when it appeared in AD:

And now that Ryan lives there–it’s even darker but with a more contemporary look:

While we’re at it–here’s Bryan and David’s bedroom on the set of “The New Normal:”

Now I know why so many of you have asked me to feature the sets from that show. I also like their living room and study in these photos:

Here’s the library that has been pinned and posted a million times around the world as it looked when it was Diane’s (and featured in AD):

Ryan loved the daybed so much he searched until he found something similar. It’s a rare Monterey of California daybed with its original paint that looks almost identical to hers:

Check out The Hollywood Reporter’s first “Homes” issue to read the article and see the rest of the photos by Douglas Friedman.

Julia-simple teal signature

P.S. Pics of how it looked when Keaton owned the house:

Diane Keaton’s Spanish Colonial Revival

Nashville TV drama ABC Connie Britton Hayden Panettiere poster
Have you been watching Nashville, the new nighttime drama on ABC? Connie Britton plays Rayna Jaymes, a country music singer whose star is fading. Her…
Most Popular Houses Nov 2012 collage
At the end of every month it's fun for me to look at my blog's stats and see what you were all searching for, who…

Comments

I am obsessed with this house. I have also just bought DK’s book California Romantica. I’m very partial to Spanish houses. Loved seeing how the house looks now. Thank you.

2. Alie B says

Gorgeous! Diane Keaton has fabulous taste and obviously Ryan Murphy has too! :-)

I didn’t know that library belonged to Diane, lovely house, love both decorations, however those shelves full of colorful pottery that Diane are what I liked most.

Gorgeous home – before and after. I love that he wanted to keep it exactly the same. That’s amazing. It’s not over crowded, but warm. It’s old and charming, yet has some updated elements. Very nice!

Great post! And you worked American Horror Story back in. I COULD NOT keep track of which house we were in … but I loved it. I was totally distracted by Diane Keaton’s pottery. Bauer. I have purchased **ahem** a few pieces myself from time to time, but I love the idea of racking em and stacking em the way she did grouped by color. Pinning. Happy Thursday.

I love this house, but even though he replicated many of Diane’s furnishings, it’s still a “man house”. I’m sure it suits him, which is what matters. This is how my husband would decorate if he was the one decorating at our house: no soft pillows, no color, no plants (although I’m wondering how much of Diane’s was the staging for the photo shoot, since it would be difficult to work around those massive cacti in the kitchen)! It looks great, but I preferred it with the warm colors and rustic finishes that it had when Diane lived there. My husband would prefer the one without decorative pillows, as he believes we have too many!! His bedroom actually looks like a picture from an old black and white movie to me. It’s a beautiful home, and it’s nice to see it with a new owner that obviously loves it!

7. theresa says

i am not familiar with this show, but i did enjoy it! i would like to see the bungalow that the main character on “grimm” lives in!

8. Anne Boykin says

Hi Julia, I love this post! Diane Keaton has fabulous taste. Seeing what the new owner has replicated, in his own way, is fun. Thanks for the details.

9. Shabby Chick says

I like it when celeb homes seem to “match” the owner. This house does not scream Diane Keaton to me. I will forever picture her in the “Something’s Gotta Give” house….Diane exudes charm and a comforting essence! This house looks cold and masculine, even with her touches. Of course, my ideas about Diane could be completely off, too! LOL…. 😉

I think it’s really adorable that he wanted to copy all of her furniture. I covet that kitchen.

Great look, great collections and great tile work. The counter in the kitchen is a super way to use mismatched tiles from old tables.

• Claudia says

It’s NOT real tile!! There was an article (9/24) in the LA Times about this TV show’s set kitchen tile- they photocopied old tiles, the photos were printed onto fiberboard, then routed and sealed to look like real tile!! (The article stated using antique tile was too expensive) They also used “fake” Maynard Dixon paintings and damaged Bauer. Movie Magic!! And what a GREAT idea!!!

Still love this house. Glad Ryan appreciates this home as much as Ms. Keaton did. His changes work for him and reflect his personality without dismissing the home. Well done, Mr. Murphy!

Such a lovely post. I must say that I’m a little more partial to Diane’s more colorful taste. Although Ryan kept many elements the same, it seems more monochromatic and not as lived in.

How lucky to be able to live in that home, huh?

14. e. george says

Hi Julia I also have DK’s book California Romantica I’m crazy about the Spanish architecture and you guys have some beauties. I like her style of decor in this home it’s more colourful but the Ryan has also done a great job. I love the kitchen and library. This was a lovely post thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney with crazy storms.

15. Carolyn says

Love this house in both incarnations. Diane Keaton is one of my favorite actresses and I admire her dedication to the preservation of 1920’s Spanish architecture. I love the way she used vintage pieces from the period and place that are in harmony with the original design. I also loved her Shaw’s Cove house in Laguna Beach, which is on the market now (you can Google it), but it doesn’t look much like the way it did when she owned it from what I can tell. (It was featured in the book “Vintage Cottages” by Molly Hyde English.) I wonder what her current house looks like? If it shows up in Architectural Digest, we’ll know it’s about to go on the market! Now I’m going to have to check out that TV show.

16. Cali Girl says

The house used for the New Normal house is not the house you’re referring to. It’s a different house that was owned by Diane Keaton. That’s why the set and the house don’t look anything like each other in this article.