Before & After: Remodeling an Old Brick House in Kentucky

When a reader named Andrea wrote me about the old brick house she and her husband bought and renovated in Northern Kentucky, the before and after photos blew me away. It’s beautiful now, but here’s how the exterior looked before they fixed it up:

A little bare, right? So much better now with all the finishing touches–like landscaping and columns!

On her blog Oak Ridge Revival, Andrea talks about their adventures in remodeling. The kitchen was pretty small and outdated when they moved in:

They knocked down the wall between it and the old dining room and gave it a total overhaul. Here’s how it looks now:

It’s night and day, really, from the old to the new.

Now it’s open to the dining room (below). The old kitchen was in the space where the table and chairs are now–they swapped the rooms in the reno.

An old sun porch became a huge mudroom off the kitchen, too, that I’m more than a little jealous of!

The house had an addition built onto the back by the former owners, which Andrea says “resembled a Country and Western bar. There were actually guns and cowboy hats hanging on the wall!”

Now the room is light, bright, and family friendly:

The baths for the kids had a long way to go, too. Here’s how they looked before and after:

Andrea says, “Our architect, Ashli Slawter, of A. Slawter Architecture, suggested these simple changes. When I first laid eyes on the bathrooms, I thought for sure they would needed to be completely remodeled. Thanks to her suggestions, we were able to give the bathrooms a big update with a little money.”

How sweet is this pink and green bath now?

The bedroom makeovers are beautiful, too. Here’s how one of them looked before:

And now, looking fresh and current:

Head over to her blog Oak Ridge Revival to take the rest of the house tour, get the details about the remodel, and see all of the jaw-dropping before and afters. Many thanks to Andrea for sharing her home with us!

Hooked on Before and Afters?

1045 Divisadero San Francisco Victorian mansion for sale
This stunning Victorian in San Francisco was built in 1902 and is a real show-stopper. Its original period details have been preserved, but the interiors…
A reader named Carrie wrote me about the plight of Duncan Manor: "This is a house in central Illinois that means a lot to many…

Comments

I don’t even know how many times I said “wow” looking at this post!!! This is amazing, Julia! I’m in love with this house… every detail of it!

Wonderful job!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

They did an awesome job! Love that they were able to see the house’s potential. That kitchen is to die for! And I do believe their big sectional is the same one we have in our great room (just in a different fabric)

3. Jane says

Thanks Julia for a wonderful post — this is a beautiful renovation Andrea and I’m so happy I got to take a peek!

I love Andrea and her blog. They have done an amazing job transforming their home!

How amazing! It looks so beautiful, I don’t think I could find any fault if I tried! I wish them joy and health as they enjoy all the love they’ve put in to this beautiful home!

6. Diane Seely says

Simply Beautiful! I love, love, love the chair 1/2 in the bedroom, the color is divine, must have for my home..Any info on the purchase?

7. grapevine93 says

Great vision and carry through! So fresh and updated!!!

Love it. Inspiring! We are buying a new house and these pictures have made me realize that with some vision, anything is possible!

9. Elizabeth says

Wow. I love everything about this home. It’s so nice to see an average sized traditional home get such a lovely and tasteful update.

Beautiful! I like the whole thing! And did everyone notice the bedroom now has a light blue ceiling? Pretty, pretty!
    Houses like this inspire me so much!

11. Rebecca C. says

I love all the colors in this house. What a transformation! That kitchen is to die for. Now it’s giving me ideas on what to do in my house.

Wow! What a gorgeous home and a fantastic reno! I did love the vintage stainless counters, but who wouldn’t love spending every waking hour in the new kitchen that is so thoughtfully designed? I could happily move in tomorrow! BTW, I think that bedroom picture is the perfect example of hanging curtains “high & wide”. It looked almost as if they had replaced the windows with larger models, but it is just the effect of properly hung panels! Great job on the reno, and the decor is fun too! It looks like a comfortable, well-loved home!

Wow, thanks so much for featuring our home! It was truly a labor of love. I sincerely appreciate all the kind comments. I am forever making changes to our home so I hope you will stop by often.

• says

So often there is at least one area or room that doesn’t strike everyone’s fancy, but in the comments, I didn’t notice anyone finding ANYTHING they didn’t like! Wow! It’s beautiful! Congratulations on your beautiful home!

14. shabbychick says

I love how they did this in a very approachable style that anyone can do! It is so adorable!!

15. Kim says

What a beautiful remodel. Everything that was done to this house added so much character to it. I would love to live in a house like this.

16. Wayne says

When I saw the before bathroom picture I thought all it really needed was a new vanity. Hope they’re enjoying all the money they didn’t spend on a full gut.

17. 2inz4me says

Amazing and inspiring! It was “mediocre/fine” before and now it’s a dream house! I love every single detail!
    -Tracie

The transformation is amazing, and the fact that the architect could offer do-able and not super high cost changes for the bathroom is wonderful. I really like what they did with the blue bathroom AND the western themed room. Such a difference!

Wow! This has got to be one of my favorite before and after stories yet…what a great job they did. I didn’t read all the details…wonder how long it took them to complete their projects! Great job though…looks amazing. Love the bathrooms!

20. Jane says

An updated home looks so family friendly and appealing, fresh and sparkling again. A real charmer!

21. Nathan says

I love this house! A little more than I’d want on my own, but love it nonetheless.

22. Debbie W says

You have an absolutely beautiful home!! Well done, you should be so proud!!

23. Menahil says

The kitchen is amazing, I would do anything to have a kitchen like that! Love the changes they’ve made. Maybe I would have kept the brick wall in the additional room at the back, but that’s just me, I have a thing for brick walls!