Before & After: A Brooklyn Limestone Bedroom

Brooklyn Limestone MBR before

One of the first design blogs I read when I started following them a couple of years ago was Brooklyn Limestone, which chronicles the adventures of a couple renovating and decorating their fabulous old house. I love their style and have been in awe of their dramatic before and afters, so I thought it was about time I shared one of them with you.

See that room above? That’s what their master bedroom looked like when they moved in. Looks pretty daunting to me. But here’s what it looks like now:

Brooklyn Limestone MBR after 1

And from the other side of the room:

Brooklyn Limestone MBR after 2

I think they did a beautiful job with it. It has inspired me as I try to figure out what to do with my own bedroom. Many thanks to Mrs. Limestone for letting me share her makeover with you. She says it’s not finished yet, so you’ll have to you’ll have to stay tuned to her blog to see what else she does with it.

Visit Brooklyn Limestone for more photos and details about this room. There are many more fabulous makeovers to ooh and ahh over while you’re there, too!

Visit my Before & After page to see more great rooms!

coastal living-blue bed
Even though I officially closed my other blog, Beach Cottage Love, in January, I still get comments on old posts. I recently got one from…
White-House-CountryLiving
In the book Simple Abundance, author Sarah Ban Breathnach asks, "If you moved into a completely new, empty house and started over--and money was no…

Comments

1. Kim says

Beautiful! I love how they stuck with the old style when they renovated the bedroom. It shows that they really care about preserving historical homes.

I enjoy her blog, too. That bedroom is gorgeous. The hole in the ceiling made my stomach hurt when I glanced at that photo – I have an old house, too.
    .-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..Winner! =-.

Julia,
    I love those old buildings in NYC. Everytime we go there, I love the ride through all the brownstones to the hotel!
    xo
    Robin
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Garden Tour #3 =-.

4. Kat in Texas says

The basketweave parquet floor is gorgeous. Kudos to the owners for such a lovely and taseful transformation!

Absolutely beautiful! Love that paint color. And I’ve been coveting that comforter at Ahtropologie for ages. Or at least what seems like ages because it isn’t mine yet =)
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Priceless =-.

6. Kathy :) says

Hi Julia,

I love Mrs. Limestone’s blog…I have been following her for sometime now and love what they’ve done……they also travel to such exotic places….love that too !!!

I always sign Kathy :) when I comment on her blog but alas she refers to me as anon….

Have a great week-end….any cook-outs planned…..?

All the best,
    Kathy :)

7. Suzette says

I have also been following Brooklyn Limestone for a while – love her sense of style and the before and after pics are amazing!!

I LOVE that room! I think (personally) they should have kept the crown molding, because I felt like it balanced out the molding along the floor…but I love that they didn’t try and change the room to be ultra-modern or something – I love that they kept the original look, just spiffed up! And I also like the idea of framing the television in an antique-looking frame to go with the room – I might have to steal that idea. :)
    .-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Sour Cream Lemon Cake (With Strawberries) =-.

9. T. says

A loving restoration for sure, but I’m afraid I don’t like how they made the crown molding disappear with the way they painted it. Otherwise, bravo.

(P.S. Is that headboard an old sofa? How interesting!)

Thanks so much for the feature!

For those that mentioned crown molding – there was no crown in here, the ceiling curves down into the wall. It’s all plaster and we restored those details. Maybe the before photo has a shadow that makes it look otherwise but we didn’t take anything out.
    .-= Mrs limestone´s last blog ..Happy Friday! =-.

11. Anita says

Oh my word! That “before” could BE my daughter’s current Brooklyn apt. bedroom! Except hers is in even worse condition :) Same shape, same bay, same fireplace, same radiator placement…her bed is in that bay, right by the radiator. I guess it’s common, but I’m from Texas so I don’t know that much about Brooklyn architecture.

How pretty! It looks so restful, it just invites you to come in and unwind.
    I love the headboard, it just looks like it would hug you to sleep!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..My 5 Day Weekend =-.

13. E. George says

Hi Julia what can I say B-E-A-UTIFUL… I’m never one short of words but you did it again thanks for sharing… Have a wonderful weekend Regards Esther from stormy Sydney….

You have done such an awesome job!Your interiors are so pretty too, love the bed, it’s Amazing!cute pillows too, very romantic indeed! thanks for sharing.